Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Procedural Planets

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by imphenzia, Nov 9, 2017.

1. imphenzia

imphenzia

Procedural Planets - now available in the asset store:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/sci-fi/procedural-planets-95581

The planets are procedural in a sense that all textures are generated mathematically during run-time. The planets are designed to look good from space and to roughly about low-planet orbit distance (they can not be landed on do they have procedural terrain meshes).

Some key features:
    • The asset only occupies only 10 megabytes on disk - all textures are generated during run-time procedurally.
    • There are nearly 100 properties that can be set randomly using seeds or overridden manually.
    • Textures treated and blended in the shader so the coast lines and surface texture of the planet is equivalent to a spherical texture of 60'000 x 60'000 pixels for coastline fidelity.
    • Properties can be animated, some features are instant in real time in the shader and can be performed without any impact - e.g. changing the water level. Some parameters require texture regeneration but it's done in parallel and optimized so even heavy computations can take place to, for example, terraform a planet from a mars-like planet into an earth-like planet.
    • You can create blueprints of planet styles with property ranges and set the probability of such blueprints being used when spawning a planet. For example, a blueprint for a dust planet will restrict random seeded properties to shortlist a selection of texture styles, colors, craters, etc, and such a template may be used 50% of the time where as an earth-like planet with 50-70% liquid coverage, clouds, rain forest and desert has a 10% chance of being spawned.
    • The idea of the asset is that you can spawn everything from run-time with an endless amount of planets.
    Trailer:

Tutorial Videos:

...there are two more tutorial videos available

Screenshots:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. GhulamJewel

GhulamJewel

Planets look beautiful! Will this work on 5.6.x versions? has this been released in the asset store?

3. imphenzia

imphenzia

This release is for 2017.2 but I may be able to downgrade to 5.6 after release. I am aiming to upload the asset to the asset store for release tomorrow, friday.

Here is also a video showing one of the included demo scenes running on Android:

4. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

wow that is some beautiful stuff! lovely job.

imphenzia likes this.
  5. imphenzia

imphenzia

Thanks! Just finished documenting all the scripts, creating documentation, adding some blueprints and demo scenes so I should be good for release!

blitzvb likes this.
  6. imphenzia

imphenzia

7. imphenzia

imphenzia

I included a 5.5.x package as well, not tested so much but it only required a minor code change to shader IDs.

8. exiguous

exiguous

I would like to say something but I'm speechless ;). Very good work Stefan. I have seen your initial video some time ago and thought this is dead because there were no updates for a while. I'm glad you have released it finally. I'm very impressed of how detailed and diversive the planets look. Also the usability looks great from the videos.

I apreciate the 5.5 version.

Some questions:
    What sphere mesh are the textures rendered on?
    So the mesh itself is flat there are no real mountains right? Is normalmapping supported? Do Oceans reflect sunlight?
    Can be/Are unused Layers (Clouds, Volcanic, Cities) completely disabled when they are unused?
    What is the final price you aim for when fully released? ETA?

I would like to see a "map" feature. So the planet surface is rendered/projected into a rectangular texture as it would be when applied to a lat/long sphere. So the features near the poles appear spread. Is this possible (If so I can probably also do it myself)? Or do you do some "magic" with the procedural textures which is bound to the spherical usecase?

Anyway, great work. Thumbs up.

9. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi - thanks a lot! I'll try to answer your questions:

1. What sphere mesh are the textures rendered on?
    A procedural octahedron mesh is generated procedurally. It's fixed number of segments at the moment but I'll make it flexible to support LOD.

2. So the mesh itself is flat there are no real mountains right?
    That's correct, the mesh is flat. I was considering mesh deformation and I may still do but for the majority of planets I would think it looks a bit too exaggerated with mountains visibly "sticking out" as if it was a miniature planet or something like that. Saying that, I guess at low orbit you could potentially start to notice mountains on a mesh level so maybe later on.

3. Is normalmapping supported?
    Yes, the so called "biome" textures (e.g. Desert, Ice, Forest, Dust, Sand...) all have normal maps and you can customize how strong the features such as surface roughness, craters, canyons should be.

4. Do Oceans reflect sunlight?
    Yes, you set the specular color and power which dictates how the oceans reflect light.

5. Can be/Are unused Layers (Clouds, Volcanic, Cities) completely disabled when they are unused?
    Clouds and Volcanic are disabled in the shader (it's a multi-compiled shader) and I should actually do the same for the cities - good point. If there is no cities the textures are not generated and should not occupy any VRAM however.

6. What is the final price you aim for when fully released?
    Probably $85. I aim to create assets for procedural stars, nebulae, and galaxies too and there will be a beneficial upgrade path to from all assets.

7. ETA?
    I'm ironing out some of the issues now but it seems to be stable for PC in particular. There are some issues with Mac and VR that I'm addressing now. Once that is finished I will add gas giants and then it should be pretty ready for full production. Maybe a month or so.

Thanks for showing interest and feel free to ask more questions if needed!

10. exiguous

exiguous

Thanks for your detailed explanations. Have purchased it now.

Any remarks to my "rectangular map" question? Do you understand what I mean by this? I don't know the correct geodetic terms (and I'm too lazy to look them up) but on a map of earth North America, Siberia and Antarctica look much larger as they actual are because of the (cylindrical?) map projection. Can I also somehow render/backe your planets in a rectangular texture with such a projection? I have never worked with substances before. I will have a look what I can find out.

Edit: Since it is alpha do you think I can import it in my project and create blueprints now or should I wait till full release (changing parameters and stuff which breaks something).

Edit2: When I get the material of the planet after generating and export "_TexMaps" I only get a grey 512² texture. How can I grab the texture of the surface?

Edit3: The blending seems to be entirely in the shader. I had some success when rendering the material on a Quad. Lets see where this leads me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  11. imphenzia

imphenzia

Sorry, I missed that question in my reply. You seem to have found some of the stuff already and the shader is in fact putting all the square textures together blending them into texture that seamlessly wraps around the planet including the poles. You can get the square textures in their individual states, e.g. the Desert biome or a Composition (height/biome blending) map - but not a square texture from the finished look of the planet with water and blended biomes etc.

The reason why the planets have no polar distortion is because the Composition is grayscale blended between spherical mapping and planar mapping at the poles and then the liquid lookup texture is applied *after* blending the UVs together so the coastlines are never crossfaded.

If you set the manager to 2048x2048 for all textures they are generated in 2048. It only generates procedural texture that it needs so if you look in the materials folder only textures that have been used since the resolution change will be at 2048.

12. imphenzia

imphenzia

13. Inspeinre

Inspeinre

Hello! if I already have your SPACE for Unity asset - Space Scene Construction Kit, what will be the cost of the upgrade?

14. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi - there is no upgrade path since it's a different type of asset. I will make instructions how to use the planets in SPACE for Unity but since this asset is only 2 MB and SPACE is closer to 400 MB I am aiming to do a procedural version of what SPACE is with nebulas and stars. SPACE will still have its place because procedural content isn't for everyone, there is still a sort of artistic freedom (painted textures) to create assets in SPACE and there platforms that don't support procedural generation. The planets alone has probably taken me ten times longer to make than SPACE did even though it's "just" planets =)

15. GhulamJewel

GhulamJewel

This looks great thinking of purchasing it. Looks like it runs well on mobile aswell so a bonus! Is there a demo scene where you can adjust the variables like in the space Fabricator program? Thinking of a scene where players can adjust and create their own planets. Guess can adjust the variables via script.

16. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi - thanks for considering! The demo scene only has a simple GUI with two parameters for testing (both on PC and Mobile) You can however adjust all parameters (just like in Space Fabricator) for a planet in a custom editor in the inspector so it's pretty much identical. You can craft planets just like you want them to be and save as a prefab or export the planet as a JSON-string (which you can use to spawn the same planet from a script by including the string as an argument).

You can see part of the inspector properties in this screenshot to the right (you can scroll the inspector up/down to access and customize all properties):

17. Metron

Metron

Hi, what is the current state of the asset? We're using it to generate planets in our space prototype game and we'd like to see gas planets :)

18. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi, state is that it appears quite stable on PC but some troubles on Mac. I'll be fixing some of the bugs that have been registered during alpha and then Gas giants are next to implement now in March.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  19. Metron

Metron

Thanks for the news :) Looking forward to it :)

20. InGameGames

InGameGames

Would it be possible to use this plugin to feed information to World Generator for ground level scenes? That is, to use this tool to generate planets and moons for an orbital view then use World Generator to roughly match that on the ground to provide a ground scene that could be used for ground level game-play elements.

21. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

Any idea when support for 2018 might be coming now that Substance Designer has added their plugin?

22. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi, I've been laying low with 2018 while waiting and now that the beta is released of the new plugin I will begin to implement a 2018 branch. I see some comments in the forum that it's still unstable and a bit problematic (https://forum.unity.com/threads/an-update-on-substance-format-support-in-unity.509408/page-4) so I expect to run in to some issues. Over all, I still think it is positive that it'll be an Allegorithmic plugin since it should ultimately allow higher quality planets =)

23. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

Awesome. Looking forward to it!

24. Bazaltov

Bazaltov

Great asset indeed. What I would like to see is the possibility for one procedural planet, cast shadow on another one.

25. killer1171090

killer1171090

Im currrently working on procedural planetary terrain, can this modified to export heightmaps in runtime that i can use for terrain generation?

26. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hey everyone, just a little update.

I have just returned from Unite Berlin. Exciting to see what's in store for the 2018.x and 2019.x cycle - some features should really benefit this asset as well as my other assets.

I spoke to both a graphic/shader expert from Unity as well as a guy from Allegorithmic. I am personally a bit frustrated that Procedural Materials was deprecated in the 2018.x cycle because the Allegorithmic substance plugin is still in beta and it's missing some API-features that I rely on for the planets to work. I the long term I think we will greatly benefit from the fact it's a separate plugin since GPU support is coming and 4K textures are already enabled for the separate plugin.

So the status on the 2018-update is that I still can't release it and I am very dependent on the substance plugin to mature. I will still investigate if I can modify my approach to remove the dependencies on the lacking API-features.

I have also got it to work quite reliably on my MacBook now in Unity 2017:
    * Ensure you run the Metal graphics API (in Player Settings, un-tick Automatic Graphics API for Mac and set Metal to be the top one)
    * Restart Unity (if you don't see any planets, switch between deferred forward rendering in the Player settings) and restart Unity again - it should work in both but it seems to be a bit buggy when you switch between the two.

If you still have problems - give me a shout!

The composition map is the one that resembles a height map the most, it is what dictates where water level is set for example. You could probably use that as a base to generate your terrain texture from. Since the shader corssfades between poles and the equator of the planet you could probably not get a seamless transition to your terrain since your terrain probably won't know where to modify the mesh in relation to where the texture and sphere is.

I should be able to implement that. Spherical shadows seems to be easier to implement compared to the ring shadows that have really been problematic for me =) Thanks for the input!

killer1171090 likes this.
  27. GrandMasterTux

GrandMasterTux

@imphy - Love your Plugin! My sons and I have been playing with it and a couple of things we haven't figured out yet and we may have missed it from your video tutorials.

1. Adding Rings: Couldn't find an easy way to do this. We created an empty Game Object and attached the Ring Script to it off the New Procedural Planet. Once we did that and ran it the first time, the rings were created. Not sure this was what we were supposed to do :)

2. Movement: In your videos you have a couple of different movements, one where the camera is at a distance and the planet rotates and the 2nd up close view of the planet. We looked through the demo scenes and we couldn't find how we needed to do this and wasn't sure if you created something custom, a setting we are missing, or another asset.

Thanks again for this great plugin, we are having allot of fun right now!

Desktop Screenshot 2018.07.22 - 18.49.13.81.png

28. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi - thanks, glad you like it! I am making this assets with my children as inspiration too so it's exciting to hear you are playing around with this with your sons.

1. You should be able to add the Ring component to an existing planet - what happens if you click "Add Component" in the inspector and add the Ring component? I think I'll implement a new button in the inspector that says "Add Rings" to make it easier.

2. The camera was just different manually placed positions to showcase the planets from different angles. I think I ran a simple script on a planet too to rotate it around its own axis over time.

29. imphenzia

imphenzia

Time for another update. I think I have found a way to make it work in Unity 2018.x with the new Allegorithmic plugin and it should also remove some of the bugs that some of you have experienced on some platforms where the texture ends up just rendering white.

As I'm updating the asset I'm adding Level of Detail (LOD) feature to both the mesh and the textures as you can see in this quick devlog video:

I'm hoping to get this update out next week and I'm working on it every hours that I can when my kids are sleeping and I'm when I'm not at work =)

I think the video will go through most things about the LOD feature rather than me listing it in text as well but give me a shout if you have any questions or thoughts about it.

30. imphenzia

imphenzia

I've got the Gas Giants up and running now - here's a quick preview:

Hoping to release 1.0 of this asset this week or next!

mons00n and exiguous like this.
  31. exiguous

exiguous

Looks great and the planets are very distinct and variable. Good work!

imphenzia likes this.
  32. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

I just watched the vid and the screenshots.
    Dude, that is some sick work you have there!
    Very cool! :D

It's good to see, there are people out there, dabbling in planets
    and doing some amazing work! :D

imphenzia likes this.
  33. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hey again - thanks for the kind comments guys!

Gas planets are more or less fully implemented now - here are some examples.

The gas planets also have irregular storms that can be customized, similar to Jupiter:

And I've implemented built in scripting animation:

I'm have also added the ability to "bake" procedural planets to static prefabs. Baked planets will load instantly and work on all platforms but the drawback is that they can't be customized further (except for some shader-based features) and they also take up disk space. The textures are exported as PNG files and a material is created with the correct settings for the planet shader. The settings JSON file is also included which can be imported again to recreate the procedural planet. Check it out:

I've also added very detailed XML-documentation - especially useful for scripting:
    https://www.imphenzia.com/documenta...ss_procedural_planets_1_1_planet_manager.html

The 1.0 release of the asset is getting very close now. I am going on holiday with my family for a week but I will bring my laptop and hopefully release the asset while on holiday =)

exiguous and Korindian like this.
  34. exiguous

exiguous

This is awesome. Real AAA quality. Your gas giants look better than the ones of Mass Effect. It took a little while but you delivered ;).

Opinion: Enjoy the time with you family. It does not come back. I guess noone is hurt when you release a few days later.

imphenzia likes this.
  35. imphenzia

imphenzia

Thanks! Yes - I make sure to prioritize time with them, but I tend to stay up later so I can still fit some hours in. It's like therapy for me to do this stuff since its one of my hobbies that I really enjoy =)

36. lo-94

lo-94

Hey I shot you an email. For some reason I can't download the latest release. I've tried deleting the package and re-downloading, updating via Unity asset store, etc and no luck. For some reason it keeps downloading the alpha version. It may have to do with the fact that Unity crashed the first time I tried to update.

37. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi, I've had similar reports on my YouTube channel and via mail. Not sure what's going on yet. I have just contacted the asset store support to see if they can see any problems.

38. imphenzia

imphenzia

While I'm waiting for the Asset Store support to come back, here is the video trailer for version 1.0:

FreakForFreedom likes this.
  39. lo-94

lo-94

Sweet keep us posted. Project is currently busted until I can get that imported :p

40. lo-94

lo-94

Any word? Still can't update, a good chunk of my scripts access the planet generator scripts so my project is current completely RIP until I can get it updated properly

41. nicobleiler

nicobleiler

Hello there, i am getting following errors for all editor scripts in version 2.1 and 2.4 of unity.

Assets/Procedural Planets/Scripts/Editor/SolidPlanetEditor.cs(945,55): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Ring' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

42. lo-94

lo-94

Was able to download 1.0 today. Sweet, looking forward to seeing what I can create with it :D

43. lo-94

lo-94

Having an issue with the ImportFromJSON method
    Basically I have two procedural planets in the scene. One is a hologram and the other is the planet outside the spaceship window. When a user selects a planet to travel to from the map hud, it calls the ImportFromJson method on the hologram and the large planet outside. When I attempt to import a particular Base64 Json string on both the planets, I get a no free substances available.

Code (CSharp):
    1. No free substances available. You have reached the maximum number of simultaneous planets. See manual how to add support for additional simultaneous planets.
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    3. ProceduralPlanets.PlanetManager:GetUniqueProceduralMaterial(ProceduralMaterial, GameObject, String) (at Assets/Procedural Planets/Scripts/Game/PlanetManager.cs:3298)
    4. ProceduralPlanets.SolidPlanet:UpdateProceduralTexture(String) (at Assets/Procedural Planets/Scripts/Game/SolidPlanet.cs:833)
    5. ProceduralPlanets.SolidPlanet:RebuildTextures(Boolean) (at Assets/Procedural Planets/Scripts/Game/SolidPlanet.cs:698)
    6. ProceduralPlanets.SolidPlanet:SetPlanetBlueprint(Int32, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Procedural Planets/Scripts/Game/SolidPlanet.cs:145)
    7. ProceduralPlanets.Planet:ImportFromJSON(String, Boolean) (at Assets/Procedural Planets/Scripts/Game/Planet.cs:1051)
    8. PlanetaryMap:UpdatePlanet() (at Assets/Scripts/PlanetaryMap.cs:91)
    9. PlanetaryMap:SetPlanet(String) (at Assets/Scripts/PlanetaryMap.cs:74)
    10. System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
    11. NetworkingPeer:ExecuteRpc(Hashtable, Int32) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:3007)
    12. NetworkingPeer:RPC(PhotonView, String, PhotonTargets, PhotonPlayer, Boolean, Object[]) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:3839)
    13. PhotonNetwork:RPC(PhotonView, String, PhotonTargets, Boolean, Object[]) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonNetwork.cs:2942)
    14. PhotonView:RPC(String, PhotonTargets, Object[]) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonView.cs:597)
    15. PlanetaryMap:ChangePlanet(String) (at Assets/Scripts/PlanetaryMap.cs:67)
    16. TravelHandler:Travel(String) (at Assets/Scripts/TravelHandler.cs:147)
    17. PlanetaryMapNode:Interact() (at Assets/Scripts/PlanetaryMapNode.cs:47)
    18. InteractHandler:Update() (at Assets/Scripts/InteractHandler.cs:42)
    The string I am attempting to import is:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. 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
    This error happens in the editor as well. If you have two procedural planets and import this string to both, it will work on the first, but not the second.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  44. hurleybird

hurleybird

Does the "Substance in Unity" 2.1.0 update today have any impact on getting procedural planets to behave nicely with Unity 2018?

45. Kirsche

Kirsche

Wow, this asset is so cool~!

Is there an update on 2018 support?

"- Added to API: GetGeneratedTextures()
    function" sounds promising.

46. IceDown

IceDown

I'm getting an error for "No free substances available. You have reached the maximum number of simultaneous planets. See manual how to add support for additional simultaneous planets."

I can't find anything about this in the manual.

47. StutterFoxStudios

StutterFoxStudios

Hi IceDown,

I contacted Imphenzia regarding this and he replied with an updated manual that has instructions on how to do it. He mentioned he will update the asset to include the updated manual. It is a bit of a tedious task but he hopes to automate the process via a script in the future. Below is a screen capture from the manual that outlines the process. Hope this helps,

Cheers

upload_2018-10-28_10-19-9.png

48. stevenkucera

stevenkucera

Hi,

I try to run Unity in -batchmode to generate 100+ planets. 5 generate perfectly, then I get the message:

No free substances available. You have reached the maximum number of simultaneous planets. See manual how to add support for additional simultaneous planets.

Code (CSharp):
    2. for (int i=0; i<10; i++)
    3. {
    4.     SolidPlanet planet = PlanetManager.CreatePlanet(Vector3.zero, i, "", null) as SolidPlanet;
    6.     var planet_editor = Editor.CreateEditor(planet, typeof(SolidPlanetEditor)) as SolidPlanetEditor;
    7.     planet_editor.CreateMyPlanet(planet);
    8.     UnityEngine.Object.DestroyImmediate(planet_editor);
    9.     PlanetManager.DestroyImmediate(planet, true);
    10. }
    The code for CreateMyPlanet is: (I inserted it into SolidPlanetEditor.cs)

Code (CSharp):
    2. public void CreateMyPlanet(SolidPlanet planet)
    3. {
    4.     _script = planet;
    5.     UpdateIndex();
    7.     Texture2D[] _tex2DArray = planet.GetBakedTextures();
    8.     BakePlanetAsset(_tex2DArray, null);
    9. }
    As far as I know I am deleting the planet each loop so I don't know why I reach the limit. Apologies if it's something obvious, I am relatively new to Unity and Procedural Planets.

- Steve

49. StutterFoxStudios

StutterFoxStudios

Hi Steven,

I can't speak much about the substances (it might cache them somewhere) but in order to have more planets then the 5 you have produced you need to manually additional substances to the planet manager. I posted how to do this a couple of posts up.

I know that doesn't help you with your immediate issue but once you do this you should be able to generate the 100 planets without any issues.

Cheers,
    -Todd

50. hurleybird

hurleybird

So, now that Substance supports Unity 2018... how are things going?