Search Unity

[Released] Procedural Music Generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Misanthes, Oct 11, 2017.

1. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

It's pretty awesome… although if I didn't have PMG I would be stuck without music…, as it is Helm doesn't really come with any 'normal' instruments. It's easy to make new patches, but it's another skill that might intimidate people who can't sit and learn another wall of knobs and sliders…

I honestly think PMG and Helm are a great pair up, so yes I think you should buy it. :cool: I don't need as many instruments to make a full sound, since Helm can make patches that already sound very 'full' on their own (plus things samples can't do)… What we lose is all your reverb and delay fx, since Helm runs in Native Audio (I think it bypasses Unity effects?)

Also Helm makes amazing soundfx… like these scary voices… :eek:

If anything is 'missing' it's maybe the things you already suspected: velocity, for sure (I can make some playmaker LFOs to compensate)… PGM passes the volume setting per instrument, but on the Helm side it's not quite the same thing. There also doesn't appear to be anything to control Helm's left/right channels (I guess you are meant to place the synths in the scene or set the balance on the audio component?)

Maybe an OnMeasure event (Is there one already?) to sync up Helm's drum sequencers? (haven't tried it yet, but planning to add samples and maybe midi drum tracks, rhythm sections have always been a bit of a pain with PMG since they eat up all the available instrument slots.

I'm sure if you took a look you'd see more than I know. I kinda love it! :D

2. Misanthes

Misanthes

It'd be surprising if helm were bypassing unity's mixer, but I could be wrong (it definitely wouldn't use the effects set at the instrument level, and they may create/use a separate audio mixer, but I'd imagine you could query and change it. But, I'm totally speculating.

PMG has oodles of events. In the main MusicGenerator.cs , there's a region starting around line 1365 with all of them listed. There's a couple for measures (when it exits one, when it generates a progression for another, etc.). It's pretty easy to add more, so if you're needing additional ones let me know.

Yeah, the velocity parameter of MIDI is something I'd have to try to script some more robust algorithm for. Trying to determine whether it should play harder, softer, etc. You could probably throw together somethhing to have the rhythm instruments increase their velocity a little on the beats, or the lead instruments play their 'first' note after not playing a little a bit louder, etc.

And yeah, the percussion in hindsight should just be a whole separate panel for editing, and give you an additional 10 slots (or god forbid I actually just create a scrolling field and let you add however many :p ).

I'm going to need to push a new update here when the 2019 LTS is released, so I'll start thinking about improvements to add into it. Just been procrastinating as I'm in the middle of another project, and work has been pretty busy otherwise.

Happy coding!

OdderOtter and wetcircuit like this.
  3. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

That's inspiring!

Makes me want to take the leap of faith too! :)

wetcircuit likes this.
  4. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

As I work with Helm a little more, everything(?) is parameterized, so in theory it can all be tweaked in Unity, or you can assign the synth patches at runtime as your PMG instruments change… (thinking how to re-wire my controller that passes the notes to the synths…)

Before, I had to tweak PMG to match the audio samples (days just to tweak all the reverbs and stuff on a composition)… with Helm it's the otherway around, I'm tuning Helm to sound like what I'm trying to make with PMG. A little learning curve in Helm to get started, but it's muuuuuch more flexible this way...

I'd be scratching my head without PMG, tho. Very helpful that it never gets tired and keeps playing variety. :p

OdderOtter likes this.
  5. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Yeah… still recommending Helm with PMG. :cool:
    Had to build a "trumpet" for the synth…

Latest track:

OdderOtter likes this.
  6. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

Oh wow! Your trumpet rocks! I've been playing around with Helm in my spare time and understand the concepts for the most part but not having a whole lot of luck in modeling sounds I like. :oops:

I'm so spoiled by my library of VSTs but I can't just bundle kontakt player into a game. :p

wetcircuit likes this.
  7. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

It's definitely easier to make retro-analog farty noises :p. I feel like the Helm interface prevents fine tuning the ADSR, but if you expose the same parameters on the Helm component you can type in precise numbers….

Also the .helm patches look like xml, and they go to craaaazy decimal points, so we have the control...

"settings": {
    "amp_attack": 0.45470727848101266666,
    "amp_decay": 1.6192642405063291111,
    "amp_release": 0.60759493670886077776,
    "amp_sustain": 0.58227848101265822223,

I'm looking for a 'style manual' somewhere that just has some basic envelope settings for groups of instruments…. If I find anything I'll pm you. ;)

OdderOtter likes this.
  8. Misanthes

Misanthes

Hey all,
    To anyone following this thread still, I'm running a little slow, but have been working for a few months on an update for the 2019LTS.

I'd be decidedly interested in any requested features people might have (and I'll go back through this thread for last years LTS update to try to cover any features I didn't get in for the last update).

Implemented already:
    - Update to the 2019 LTS (of course :p )
    - New Visualizer for player (similar to the typical player-piano view. Kind of like this video, minus the fingers
    - ^ I adore this. It makes the editor visualizer a ton more appealing to watch :p
    - Full UI overhaul. - The original implementation was super bad. This has been needed for awhile. - This is still technically a work in progress, but the backend has been entirely rewritten, just need to finalize textures/materials/colors/etc.
    - Expanded max instruments (bumped from 10 to 20. I plan on adding an editor menu item if users need to expand this further).
    - Separated instruments and percussion in ui view.
    - UI theming (just different UI coloring/themes/particles for the visualizer/player). This will affect the overall coloring of the UI as well as the player-piano visualizer. Currently plan to do a seasons theme (spring, summer, fall, winter), with the visualizer using fire/ice/leaves/etc particle effects for the player.
    - Update assets to the unity Addressable system ( has made the asset bundling management a lot easier. Not much in the way of user-facing features, but personally really excited for this one as it's made the asset wrangling significantly simpler)
    - Increased the max tempo pretty significantly. This allows for much faster note playing. I plan on adding a 1/32 note, which will not work super well with some of the instruments, so may limit that timing for specific instruments (the short-ones, basically).
    - First time setup menu-commands to ease installation.

Still in progress/ planned:
    - Allowing user-facing setting of strict percussion patterns. Unlike instruments, most of the percussion instruments really don't need the randomization, and I think it'd be preferred to be able to set the pattern manually in a separate UI flow. I hope to get this in, but it's a larger feature which will include a full new UI-flow, and I'm already running behind, so may bump it to a future update.
    - Full refactor of client code. This has just been ongoing as I work on things. I was pretty new to programming when this asset was originally released and it's been in pretty dire need of improvements. The updaste _might_ break the existing api in places, depending on use-case. I'm doing my best to keep things intact, and of course, I'm always available for assistance if needed upgrading.

Anyhow, I'll be posting videos/updates in the coming days/weeks, and hope to have this finished as soon as possible. Though, my real-life-work-load has been a bit heavier lately, and my portion of the world (seattle, currently) is...in the state it's in, so going to hold off on giving a firm timeline, as my priorities can shift heavily from day to day.

But, again, if anyone has wishlist items they'd be interested in seeing done, please post here. Also, if there's anyone who is particularly good at creating great images/particle-effects, it's not my strong suit, so I'd be interested in soliciting their help in some fashion perhaps, just email me at stickandbindlegames@protonmail.com.

Stay safe all, take care <3
    - Tyran

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  9. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

percussion and 1/32 note sounds great!
    Maybe a 'swing' setting per instrument to delay/syncopate?

I'd love an official whatever this component is…

So we can bridge to playmaker/UI/Unity events (make our own visualizers, etc).

Misanthes and OdderOtter like this.
  10. Misanthes

Misanthes

Ah, is that the component we worked on to bridge things with Helm?
    Yeah, I can definitely include that! Probably make it a bit more user friendly as well.

11. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

I would still adore a "leitmotif" feature that would allow you to define a musical phrase and have the rest of the instrumentation play around it.

Misanthes and wetcircuit like this.
  12. Misanthes

Misanthes

Right! I recall you brought this up for the last update. It's a fantastic idea, though one I sadly ran into some issues implementing and wasn't able to fit it in at the time :/

If I remember, there were two significant hurdles that made things difficult. One was it required pretty much a full new ui-flow in order to set it up and my UI setup at the time was embarrassingly bad (I had significantly less experience when it was originally written).

The other was there were a bunch of considerations for the relevant 'control' variables (how often does it play the leitmotif, how many instruments does/can it include, what happens if variables have changed since it was set (this one is a fairly significant problem to solve). Since all the player's variables are mutable, if instruments have been deleted, or the scale/mode/key/avoided chords/etc have changed, it potentially makes things tricky to work around. There are a bunch of edge cases around things as well.

However:
    To the first: I've rewritten the UI code/editor setup, so it's much simpler to extend things now and add new features, so is a lot quicker to iterate for myself and isn't a problem any longer (huzzah!).

To the second: if it's limited to just a single instrument, and is saved only as a relative locked-in chord progression and saves some relative scale steps for an instrument (so we can adjust to key/mode/scale/etc changes that might occur during playing). It avoids a lot of the problems and will still sound fairly natural, I think, while maintaining the basic purpose of a leitmotif. Saving alll the notes for all the instruments I'm still not sure how I'd manage (again, so many things 'might' have changed in the player in the intermin to where it'd just be audio-gibberish or just impossible to reconcile). But, I'm not sure it's necessary to need to fully write out everything. In fact, might be more interesting if it's more dynamic like that (where a basic melody is maintained, but everything else is still fairly randomized around it).

I'm kind of rambling my thoughts out loud here, but I think I can actually commit to working this in. Thanks for the reminder @OdderOtter! I'll update here with progress as it comes along.

Edit* just to reiterate something to keep expectations in check: I'm just a single person, who gets maybe an hour a night to work on this, so the update will be a little slow-going :p I'm already about 3 months into it, so most of the features are in place already now, but eyeballing things, I anticipate I'm at least another month out before being able to wrap everything up! Just noting this because historically I'll get incredibly stressed when I feel like I'm running behind on things and people are waiting :p

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  13. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

I enjoy reading through your thought process and get that it's a one man show - no stress needed!

Honestly this is what I had in mind because, like you say, it would spin wildly out of control and complexity real quick. :)

Here are my thoughts:
    • allow the user to define 1 or more leitmotifs
    • allow the user to start/stop only one leitmotif at a time, calling for a second one to start would stop the first
    • allow the user to define the instrument playing the leitmotif
    • the leitmotif does not need to start playing instantaneously if there is music already playing, it would most likely sound more natural if there is a delay for the generator to figure out how to transition/modulate to the target

wetcircuit and Misanthes like this.
  14. Misanthes

Misanthes

Oof, been a pretty hectic month and didn't get nearly as much done as I had hoped. But, did manage to implement the leitmotif editor.

Some notes:
    In this video, the leitmotif is set to play 100% of the time, but I'll add a slider to set its frequency. Instruments can selectively be set as leitmotif instruments (and others will play random generation still.).
    The leitmotif will adjust to the scale/mode/tempo etc. So, nothing is locked down to the selected notes and it updates along with everything else (was a pain to code, but definitely necessary, otherwise _everything_ breaks when things change).
    UI/UX is all placeholder and will get another pass over things.
    Measure editor got the same treatment for the UX, and also plays the note when you add/remove it (I'm finding it's such a small thing that makes such a difference when trying to use the feature).

Anyhow, it might look like it's all scrambled together, but things are actually starting to come together and I'm hoping I can wrap up here soon and get the build updated in the store. There's a zillion edge cases I need to close first that I've just been stubbing in TODO's for, but otherwise the larger features are in place.

But, thoughts and opinions are always very welcome! (I'd much rather change course now than have to retroactively fix things after everyone is like 'ew, no. why?'

15. Misanthes

Misanthes

Didn't catch in the previous video, but here's some minor quality of life adjustments to the editor:
    Embedded Notes,
    Instrument cap removed
    Separated percussion

16. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Oh! wow, ok, it's really different. :eek:

Misanthes likes this.
  17. Misanthes

Misanthes

Yeah...though, all the sliders, dropdowns, buttons and such from the original are still there, mostly just rearranged/revamped. So, ideally it won't be too much different for those of you familiar with the original (and hopefully better where it _is_ different). The piano roll is probably the biggest change. I'm personally finding it helpful, as it's a little more intuitive than the previous side-scrolling one, I think. Though, I'm kind wanting to do a pass with an option that sets it to look like actual notes on a staff player, but almost certainly not for this update.

I haven't settled on an actual palette/textures for the UI yet, so the final look probably won't look too much like this. Also, setting it up to allow theme/texture swapping. Though, the overall placement of things will probably be close? (i.e. instruments on the bottom, details on the left, main menu on the right, etc).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    wetcircuit likes this.
  18. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

It's really impressive… I'm so curious about the leitmotif. :cool:

:eek: omg these Bellagio fountains!

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 11.47.34 PM.png

OdderOtter and Misanthes like this.
  19. Misanthes

Misanthes

Heh, I actually need to replace those, they're in the unity standard assets particle package, just re-tooled a little. The art-side of things isn't my strong suit, so might take me a bit. I want to have a few different skins for the player that overhaul the overall ui, but based on seasons. So, there will be like, a winter theme, and the notes fall like snowflakes and freeze at the bottom, or spring, and have them bloom up from the keyboard. I may not fully get around to that, so it might end up half-a**sed a little and just a recoloring of the ui or something (I had really wanted this done in time for the 2019LTS release, but missed that by a mile :p But, don't like having such an outdated packed up).

20. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

OMG I AM SO EXCITED!!!! Thank you so much! I can't wait to get my paws on this! :D

Misanthes likes this.
  21. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

Heck yes! Good stuff!

Misanthes likes this.
  22. Misanthes

Misanthes

I've been tweaking things a bit, and it's by far my favorite feature now. Add a great melody to a couple instruments and set it to like, around 10-20% occurrence, and it's just fantastic. Blends in perfectly and ties everything together. Super excited for it :D I'm glad you re-suggested it, as I probably would have stubbed it into another todo list for next time otherwise. :p

23. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

<3

24. Misanthes

Misanthes

Was helping a user during the week regarding some tempo issues (er, I ended up not being terribly helpful, but was otherwise tinkering with tempo). But, I had been meaning to increase the max tempo. I'm unsure why I capped it so low originally, but I found it pretty funny at 1000bpm.

Found you can actually crank it up pretty much indefinitely, provided you update your project settings real/virtual voices and buffers pretty high. Even with a 16 step chord progression, it starts sounding like gibberish around 5000bpm though :p Even at 1000bpm here, the non-lead notes are already set to whole/half notes, so only playing once or twice per chord step.

wetcircuit and OdderOtter like this.
  25. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

Any chance you have an ETA on the update?

Sorry to be a pest - I'm just excited to get my hands on it. :)

wetcircuit likes this.
  26. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

HA! I resisted pestering over the weekend… :p
    but, DITTO! :D

27. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

Are you doing the daily F5 too? :D

28. Misanthes

Misanthes

Oh, god, sorry! Somehow missed this until now :D Have had a bunch of overtime at work this month and somehow two weeks has gone by o_O

Yes, so, have spent a few weeks cleaning up old data structures, adding random improvements (all data is just on a single scriptable object now that we serialize out when needed, so our loading process is just a single file instead of the monstrous dozen garbagee data classes and loading configuration it was previously. Me-from-5-years-ago can go jump in a fire. Don't know what he was thinking with that setup. Added some editor menu commands to upgrade/convert old generator data to the new structure. Also removed saving/uploading from device. Was a pain maintaining all the android/ios serialization for the UI editor when there are likely about zero people actually using an android/ios device to create configurations. So, it's _only_ an editor tool now). Super boring stuff, but long overdue.

Made a new demo scene, utilizing the new ui flow of things, and just gives a better example of a real-world use of the generator (I'll also share a video. Though, it's _also_ a bit WIP still. And I have a weak spot for bloom effects :p Fight me.)

I'm hoping to finish up the percussion editor this weekend, which is the last of the sizeable 'features' going in (I'll share videos! It's ugly, but functional, other than the leitmotif, it's my second-favorite new feature). I have a couple wishlist things I'd like to add, but they're visual fluff so can be punted to post-testing. Then a whole bunch of low-hanging TODOs I've stubbed in (have just been breaking small things everywhere I need to go back and fix. There are a zillion little edge cases).

Optimistically, I can have testing builds for you folk here by the end of the month I think if anyone is willing to be guinea pigs? And then a full release shortly after. Sorry for the slow development cycle here. Bit off a few too many new features. I'll try to update these things more than once a year going forward and do closer to like, monthly updates, rather than trying to just keep pace with the LTS.

Things are mostly done here, just need to fix a whole ton of small issues I've been kicking down the road really.

*related to the topic of me not checking this thread: I think I'd like to make a discord, or slack channel or just somewhere better for these conversations. I'd like to finally do the tutorial videos and post them somewhere, have a place for people to share configurations, tips, get feedback from a wider userbase on features and requests, problems, etc. (and somewhere less prone to me missing new messages :p ).

If anyone has thoughts on the form that takes, let me know! Feel like this thread is probably not the ideal place :p

(also, changed my avatar here, if I suddenly look different. This is my kitten Gink. He's very afraid of just about everything. Also sits funny :p We adore him.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    wetcircuit and OdderOtter like this.
  29. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Discord would be great! They allow small file sharing...
    I can imagine sharing instruments as well as compositions… Also would be helpful to explore different ways to integrate into a scene with triggers, etc….

(also hoping you remembered to allow the event 'hooks' (or whatever) so we can trigger 3rd-party midi and such…

Kitten is way cuter than previous avatar (which was kinda scary texaschainsawmassacre-esque tbh)

OdderOtter likes this.
  30. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

Yay an update!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!' He chortled in his joy.

You're too funny - and that kinda stuff is sexy for those that appreciate the under the hood optimizations and structural maintainability.

Oink oink! :p

I've seen quite a few developers move to Discord. It has its pros/cons - the biggest con to me is keeping it organized so stuff doesn't get lost. I don't think I've seen that ever managed well yet which doesn't say it can't be done. Other than that I love Discord for sharing/community building.

He's adorable and looks like my kitty Griffin! Give him an extra scritch or two for me. :)

wetcircuit likes this.
  31. Misanthes

Misanthes

I did remember! The new ui view for the keyboard actually needs them, as it caches the events until the note hits the keyboard :) Also added the listener utility class so users can just add it to where they need them.

And, I think I will run with discord, it'll probably be the most familiar to everyone.

I'll ping you folk here in a couple weeks then and add you to the gitlab repo. I'll make a stable branch you can pull down (I tend to break master pretty regularly). Feel free to email me your gitlab names anytime (accounts are free if you don't have one), and I'll send out the invites then

Wow, seriously though, some of this old code is downright terrible. This update essentially rewrites the entire UI and data structures. This update will have quite a few breaking changes for projects that integrate with the code on any deeper level than calling the load/play methods :/ But, I've tried to make the changes pretty benign on the generator side of things. I've added editor tools for converting the data, but existing projects might have to rename a couple things/point to different methods to upgrade.

He gives a stretchy-legs thank you!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  32. Misanthes

Misanthes

Belated update: Here's a video of the percussion editor. Visually still a little WIP, but coming together. You can toggle on/off the forced percussion of course. I adore this feature <3

I'm tentatively optimistic of opening things up to (probably slightly buggy) beta-testing this time next week? I have OdderOtter's info, but anyone else interested, feel free to shoot me your gitlab name.

Still have lots of visual loose ends, tooltips missing, need new documentation, new particles etc. But, as far as functionality goes, think I'm about 95% of the way there (need to fix the measure editor. I broke a couple things when implementing leitmotif/percussion editing, but otherwise think the rest is in).

Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts all (and patience, I seriously thought I was going to be finished by like, May/June :p ).

33. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

I have difficulty estimating when dinner will be done let alone any project. Welcome to "dev time" :p!

Looking forward to putting leitmotif through the paces! I should prepare a handful of phrases so I'm ready to jump in as time permits. :)

Misanthes likes this.
  34. Misanthes

Misanthes

Oof, especially personal dev time. I'm pretty good at estimating it at work, but there's a pretty consistent work-week. 'personal' dev time is like, whenever-the-hell-i-can-find-time, which is much more sporadic :p

I try to spend at least an hour a day on personal dev stuff, but sometimes that doesn't happen. And like, at an hour a pop, some small bug can set you back half a week to resolve :p

OdderOtter likes this.
  35. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

I feel that. There are days/weeks that I'm just so drained from the work that pays the bills to do the personal work.

Misanthes likes this.
  36. Misanthes

Misanthes

Alright, so:
    • Juuuust about ready to open to beta testing. Guessing Sunday evening? Remember to shoot me an email at stickandbindlegames@protonmail.com if you'd like access (I can either send you a downloadable asset to import or give access to the gitlab repo).
    • I created a discord server, I'll throw out the info when beta is ready, and probably put a pin in this thread when that happens and stop monitoring/updating this thread.
    • I've temporarily pulled the asset from the store pending the update (got a bad review due to it not supporting the 2020 builds, and would prefer not to continue having the rating sunk with bad reviews at the top. Reeealllly wish unity would set their LTS as the default download rather than the latest build).
    I'm heavily considering releasing the asset as a new asset, rather than an update, and dropping the price to free.
    I have included an editor tool that will upgrade any existing configurations to the new data set. So, importing songs from the original asset should still work. They may require a little tweaking after the fact, but should mostly be intact. But you won't be able to just upgrade the asset on an existing project (you could add the new asset and convert your configurations though. But, if you're using the generator for much more than 'Play()' you may need to rename some things or point to new references).

Reasoning for a new release rather than upgrade:
    • I'd really like the asset to be available to as many people as possible, and while the price is already low, unity-assets are probably on the more frivolous end of purchases for most people (I know I hesitate before buying non-essential assets, and I'm a professional developer with a good, stable income).
    • To be honest, despite usually being one of the top music assets in the store for the last few years, the revue is...meh? I can buy a game or two with the monthly stream, and that doesn't really begin to pretend to offset the time spent developing this, fielding emails and support, etc. And my motivation for developing this is not for the revenue, so I may as well just make it free.
    • the API is going to break in a lot of ways for anyone utilizing the existing generator in any complicated way at all who upgrades the asset in place, and the influx of emails is something I'm not looking forward to.
    • A fresh start just feels good.
    The downside, is I'll lose all the great reviews/ratings its received, and existing users won't be notified of the new asset. Though, there aren't many viable alternatives to the asset, so I imagine they'll come across the new one if they look to replace it.

Basically, on the TODO before release at this point
    • Update the in-game tooltips (I broke them all during the update).
    • Create some tutorial videos
    • Re-create promotional material for the store (images/video/description, etc).
    • Bug fixes from beta testing.
    • Implementing beta feedback.
    • Update documentation
    • Some boring work cleaning up the code, ensuring default settings are sensible for everything, all platforms work, etc. I haven't looked a lot of the legacy code for the base generator in almost 5 years, and a lot of it is...questionable. Could use a solid refactor, but I may just give it a light touch rather than meddle with a working system.
    • Visual improvements (still hoping to get some improved particles in place. I've wrangled in tentative outside help for this from an artist friend, but may need to end up implementing them myself).
    Post release, I'll be looking to:
    • Find better audio assets.
    • VSTi support (may never happen :p ).
    • ???

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  37. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I honestly think you've had it priced too low..., but I'm a fan and I enjoy tweaking procedural systems.

Maybe consider adding a (simple. modular) way to load 'compositions + sound library' packs. I could see genre packs being a sellable thing: horror, mystery, battle… as well as scene-ambience medieval village, space, exotic…

Looking forward to the discord.

38. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

Agreed with wetcircuit. Obviously we don't see the volume of support email / requests etc. and if your goal is to get it into as many hands as possible then what you're saying makes sense. If you were interested in trying to make more monies from it I would suggest raising the price which would drop the volume of support requests and may raise the tech floor of your audience. The only other difference, from my perspective, between your asset and other devs with more established assets is marketing / branding / flashier UX and your upcoming release will address the latter for sure.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the new version which is practically a 2.0. :)

Only roadmap suggestion I have at this time is to maybe consider adding support for soundfonts? Maybe it would be easier to implement than VSTi support and seems like it would be a good fit.

39. Misanthes

Misanthes

Yeah, I hear you both. The price was intentionally set very low originally, as I wanted it available to as many as possible.

But, basically, if it's not a financial endeavor, which it never has been (was really just a tool I noodled on for my own benefit originally), charging a small amount is almost beside the point, and even undermines my interests in development of it. Either I should charge what I feel it's worth, and focus on increasing that value through specific development, or not, and offer it free and develop it freely in ways that I find interesting and hope that others find useful :p

But, there are really few, if any, scenarios where developing unity tools rivals my salary from my day job as a software engineer, and a 'second job' sounds awful :p I also lack that entrepreneurial spirit that's pretty mandatory for that sort of thing.

Most of the time I'm itching to work on different side projects as it is. So, best to firmly place this in the 'fun side project' category, and the clearest way to achieve that i think it to offer it free.

Sadly, at a glance, this would require a very similar interface, I think.
    It's not out of the question though, in fact, improving the audio quality is pretty much one of my higher goals for the project and vsti/midi support is the obvious path.
    Now that I'm happier with the general interface for the generator, I think it's the natural next step. Just likely to be a bit drudgey in terms of coding work.

40. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

You are very generous and I'm sure a lot of people will be grateful! Not sure if the asset store terms allow for it, but I would suggest a Patreon link somewhere because I'm sure a lot of people like myself are happy to support indie work.

41. Misanthes

Misanthes

I think they have an incoming planned feature for that? I vaguely recall a newsletter about it, but no idea when/if it might happen. If not, I could probably sneak it into the documentation :p

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    OdderOtter likes this.
  42. Misanthes

Misanthes

Alright, invite code for discord is https://discord.gg/k8tMw7F
    I sent out gitlab invites to the couple of you who requested it (if I didn't send it, then I didn't have your info! Please resend to stickandbindlegames@protonmail.com).

Just pull down the project and open as a fresh unity project.
    There's a unity menu command under PMG>FirstTimeSetup, that will ensure everything is set.
    Note:
    there are bound to be oodles of bugs still. Just now starting the squashing process. But, feel free to log them in the discord bug channel.
    Lots of ui visual polish remains too, but also something i'll start noodling on over the next couple weeks.
    Anyhow, let me know if you run into issues. i probably am logging out here for the evening, so won't be on the discord to see anything until much later tonight.

OdderOtter likes this.
  43. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Your future update was looking so good I went and bought this asset. Now it looks like this asset is deprecated?

44. Misanthes

Misanthes

Yeah, apologies. it was deprecated because the asset currently in the store isn't compatible with the Unity 2020 builds, but works fine on the LTS (2019.4), but didn't want a bunch of people purchasing an asset that doesn't work on the latest builds.

Really wish unity would give a way to add some sort of messaging to the deprecation page :/

You should still be able to download the existing music generator if you purchased it through the asset store though.

When the update is done, I will likely either un-deprecate the existing package, or release it as a free but separate asset (the reasoning for being separate is that it will break the existing API pretty badly).

Feel absolutely free to reach out for a refund though in the meantime!

StevenPicard likes this.
  45. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Thanks for the response. A refund isn't needed. I'm just looking forward to the new version.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  46. Misanthes

Misanthes

Should be soon! Just dotting t's and crossing i's at the moment. You're welcome to pull down the gitlab repo now if you'd like. It's fully functional, but with some minor bugs, placeholder art, and the api changing a bit as I clean things up.
    Just email your gitlab name to me and I"ll be happy to add you. Or hop in the discord channel linked above (it's pretty quiet for now, just otter, wetcircuit and I really). I can always use more eyes on it pre-release.

My work's alpha build was due this week, so progress on the generator has been a little slow this month. But, should speed up in the coming weeks. Estimate less than a month for full release? But, dependent on how much personal time I can square away for it.

StevenPicard likes this.
  47. Misanthes

Misanthes

Just a random update for anyone still following (probably _very_ few, but still :p ), update is still coming along, added a few new features so running a little behind here, but it's _alllllmost_ done :p

Any/all are welcome to join the discord at https://discord.gg/k8tMw7F there are downloadable versions of the asset updated fairly regularly.

Anyhow, couple more weeks here ideally. All features locked in place and known bugs resolved, so just wrapping up the store presence and other details.

StevenPicard and wetcircuit like this.
  48. SMWLucasO

SMWLucasO

Heya, we are interested in the asset for our school project. The Discord link seems to no longer be working, can we get a new link?

49. Misanthes

Misanthes

Whoops, didn't realize that expired!
    This one should still be valid: https://discord.gg/K6w6UCEFZA

We're _for reals this time_ about to re-release the asset. Hopefully about 1 week out here, fingers crossed. But, you can pull down the nightly build from the discord in the interim.

Thanks for the interest!

50. Misanthes

Misanthes

adub3dub, Hikiko66 and StevenPicard like this.