Search Unity

[RELEASED] ProBuilder 2.0 : Seamless, Intuitive Level Design in Unity. Finally LIVE!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Feb 6, 2013.

1. karl_

karl_

Setting hard and soft edges is already possible with PB - it's in the Texture Editor under Smoothing.

Regarding the first point, merging/splitting vertices is in the pipeline. Not sure on ETA yet for that though

Beyond trimming down vert counts and manipulating normals, what other requirements uses does ProBuilder not satisfy that you would require Blender for? This kind of feedback is fantastic for making ProBuilder better, thanks for taking the time to respond.

2. lod3

lod3

I'll hit you up with a list sometime this weekend. One thing off the top of my head that I noticed using PB Free was the lack of paint sizing info. Right now you have to go by the grid snaps to figure out the size of a brush/polygon, and it's a pretty substantial kink in keeping your workflow fast and efficient when building real-life structures, especially interiors.

3. lod3

lod3

Only had 30 minutes to play around with it last night after picking up full copies of PB2 and ProGrids, but was wondering why the blue guide lines aren't showing from ProGrids, regardless if the toggle is on or off?

4. karl_

karl_

The lines only show in Orthographic mode - toggled by clicking the center of the scene gizmo.

5. lod3

lod3

Ah, I see. Don't think I've ever used the ortho views, aside from checking to see if Unity had any. It's fine, though, since they aren't really needed due to the snapping.

6. yahodahan

yahodahan

...but the Ortho views are your best friend! I seriously recommend using them. However, you'll be happy to know that ProGrids is being updated to also show in the perspective view.

7. lod3

lod3

Not really :) But neither are Crytek's or UDK's. Glad to hear Perspective is coming.

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ha, well, to each their own.

More importantly. ProBuilder 2.2 is just over the horizon. Testing the RC now. Extrude, Full Source, and much more!

9. lod3

lod3

Well, if you saw me build geo with Crytek's Solid tool (in Perspective) you'd understand! PB is pretty much the same, and with Perspective coming for ProGrids should almost be identical.

However... bummed that after I picked up the full version of PB that there still wasn't any size display info for selected brushes. When working with absolute dimensions such as door sizes, window sizes, ceiling heights, etc. it becomes very tedious getting brushes the right size.

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ah yes, the size info- we've had that in the list for a long time. Would love to have it myself, agreed.

We do have the grid texture, which will always be exactly 1 meter x 1 meter, as long as you don't scale the game object (scaling verts or faces is fine). That's what I generally use to count height/etc. Also, this free tool might help: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/307

Regardless, agreed on the need for that utility, just a matter of time!

11. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi, I'm using ProBuilder free (recently downloaded) to prototype some stuff, will purchase when I get to texturing phase =) I'm just noticing something strange though. It works great in the editor, but when I build the game all the ProBuilder objects behave crazy - most are missing, some have odd textures and craziest of all is that they are jittering around all over the place with no logic. I'm using Unity Pro 4.3.0.f. I find it difficult to search if this is something known since "build" is part of the actual asset name.

12. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Imphy- tell you what, let me send you our Top Secret, internal build of "Prototype", which is going to replace the free version of ProBuilder very soon. It's a much, much better tool, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Just send me an email via the address in the documentation! :)

Attached Files:

13. midorina

midorina

Looking forward to ProBuilder 2.2! I've been using PB since the first version and I have to say, it really speeds up our prototyping. It's a guarantee must have tool for Unity. We use it for all our projects!

I have a quick question though. Is it possible to have rounded corner cubes? It'll be great to build toon-like levels!

Waiting eagerly for the update to show in the Asset Store!

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks decarto, great to hear it's done so well for you!

Rounded corners, well, you'll be able to do that much more easily with the new version, that's for sure!

15. yahodahan

yahodahan

Obviously, this isn't perfect, but it's a good working method for now :)

16. cynel

cynel

what the?

17. paulojsam

paulojsam

regarding export to object with proper textures this will be fixed with 2.2 version?

18. yahodahan

yahodahan

I think this got buried way back in the thread (I'll make it more obvious), but I am always, always happy to send the tool right out to to anyone making truly awesome content and willing to feature ProBuilder alongside. Also, Prototype is only going to cost $15 or so :)

We'll try, but unfortunately I can't guarantee it. We are focusing on making ProBuilder's core (in-editor modeling), for this update. I understand the OBJ export is a major issue, though it should be fairly straightforward once we can focus on it.

19. lod3

lod3

@yahodahan

Just use:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=ObjExporter

Works fine with your PB brushes because it "snapshots" whatever is selected and exports to its own folder along with textures used (for quick and easy importing into a modelling application to do any clean-up work, and optimize.)

20. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks lod3, I do think we use that (or similar) already...though I could be wrong. All info posted to our basecamp project and is in the works!

21. lod3

lod3

PB cube exported from Unity into Maya using that script:

$2sEofml.png

22. yahodahan

yahodahan

Heh, yeah...that's the issue. Now try importing into Max :(
    EDIT: sorry, that wasn't very informative. It won't import to Max (in my experience), for some reason, but Maya works fine.

23. lod3

lod3

What issue? And why would an OBJ open differently in Maya/Max (not counting Y/Z Up)?

24. cynel

cynel

15 Dollars ?

25. lod3

lod3

Wondering the same...

26. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hang in there folks, uploads are happening, media is being assembled, and Prototype will be live soon.. :D

27. Kilonne

Kilonne

Congrats for your new born :)

I guess the new version of PB is around the corner. Will that version include tools to build curved surfaces? Would be awesome to build something not rectangular, like a swimming pool or anything like this.

Would that be possible to build along a path (bezier path..) then to extrude along it? Would be fantastic to create long curved surfaces.

28. yahodahan

yahodahan

Curved surfaces aren't in the priority list, mainly we want to get the core better and better, before starting down the path of super-complex new features. We'd love to have that functionality too! Unfortunately, it's just one designer and one tech developer, doing what we can, as quickly as possible. And we really do want to hold our focus on keeping a solid, reliable core, even if we don't add flashy new features all the time.

Thank you for the congrats! :D

29. kenlem

kenlem

Prototype looks interesting but I can't figure out if I need if I already have ProBuilder. Can you explain?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  30. Dogcomplex

Dogcomplex

If I get ProBuilder do I also need to get ProGrid/ProGroup etc or are they included in ProBuilder?

31. yahodahan

yahodahan

If you have ProBuilder, you don't need Prototype:) Prototype is essentially a "lite" version of ProBuilder, but also optimized for quick and simple proto-construction.

ProGrids and ProGroups are seperate, yes. This is so that we can make them work with all Unity objects, not just ProBuilder. Also, we figure some people might not have a need for them (madness! ;) ).

32. Dogcomplex

Dogcomplex

Thanks, just wanted to make sure before I clicked buy.. :)

33. yahodahan

yahodahan

No problem! ProGroups will be going live very soon, just need to fix up a couple small issues.

34. Stardog

Stardog

Did you just remove the automatic pivot set after editing? Is there a way we could get an option to toggle that? I like it being automatic.

35. lod3

lod3

+1

36. yahodahan

yahodahan

It may have been accidentally dropped- I'll look into it. Toggles, so many toggles in the Preferences panel! I don't mind the clutter there though, always happy to give people more options.

37. Stardog

Stardog

Thanks!

I think I found another issue with the pivots. Sometimes meshes are moving away from the pivot point after playing then stopping.

CTRL-J isn't setting the pivot properly to the center of mass for some meshes. When moving the object, setting pivot, playing, stopping, the pivot remains where it was set, but the mesh moves a certain distance offset from that point.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  38. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hmm. What version of ProBuilder do you have, and what version of Windows? Can you replicate this in a clean project? Also, do you happen to have the mesh selected when play/stop?

That'll help me narrow it down. Thanks!

39. Stardog

Stardog

Version 2.1.4b7.I just realised it's related to being a prefab. Maybe it's just an unsupported feature right now. I can't remember if this used to work or not.

• Create a probuilder cube.
    • Make it a prefab.
    • Resize it.
    • CTRL-J set pivot. (Top-level or Geometry mode - doesn't matter which).
    • Play then Stop.

If you don't apply the prefab the mesh will move. Also, if you set the pivot after stopping (in Top-level mode), it sets it to the face you selected to resize the object, instead of the center.

40. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

New probuilder 2.0 user here having a blast grayboxing my first level :)

But I've run into an issue. My vertex color assignments on the Probuilder cube faces do not save :( I do use a Source control but I have the unity map file checked out, etc. Anyone experience this??

41. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

No one else experiencing vertex color assignments not saving eh? I guess I'll look into doing a fresh reinstall later then to see if that resolves it.

42. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

You'll no doubt want ProGrids. I wanted it within 30 mins of working on my 1st graybox and purchased it asap.

43. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks for the detailed steps Stardog! Do we have you as a registered user? If you could email me directly, I can add you (and other registered users, hey people!!) to the Beta Testing Group, where you can download the latest internal versions and post on the group there if you have any issues still. It really, really helps when users can test out the tools and give feedback in-development. Thanks!

44. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hmm, I haven't seen that at all. As mentioned to StarDog, could you register (if not already just email me), so I can get you into the Beta Testing Group? Thanks!

Thanks for the +1! I do highly, highly recommend ProGrids (ignore the bias). I'm trying to get a bundle ready before the holidays!

45. BrokeSpace

BrokeSpace

I just picked up Probuilder and Progrids yesterday and I am loving them. Absolutely fantastic pair of tools (I'm anxiously awaiting progroups to go live on the asset store).

Only thing I've run into so far is face colours not saving like sandboxgod did.

Keep up the great work and thank you for the awesome tools :D

46. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks BrokeSpace! Could you also email me to register, so we can set you up with the Beta Testing group? Still not able to reproduce that error here, but more data on how it happens to your project would be very helpful.

ProGroups is practically done! Just writing documentation and making tutorial videos :)

47. tiggus

tiggus

I've got a rather noobish question I'm hoping you can answer before I take the leap into ProBuilder to see if it is appropriate.

If I create a single object in ProBuilder(or take existing mesh), and want to apply different substance textures to different faces does it automatically adjust the UV's and then merge the substance materials into a new "normal" material that is UV mapped correctly? Or will I end up with one model with a billion different materials applied?

Ideally I would be able to model my meshes in ProBuilder and never have to export out and use tools like Blender/Substance Designer to UV and texture it. Not sure if that is possible however.

48. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi tiggus- thanks for the interest!

When you edit the scale, rotation, etc, with ProBuilder, the material isn't modified at all- just the UV coordinates. So, you can take one material and use it a million different ways on some ProBuilder objects/faces, and you'll still have just one material (1 theoretical drawcall)

However, materials can't be merged, so if you paint 3 different materials on, you will have 3 (theoretical) drawcalls.

I think what you might be looking for is Texture Atlasing- merging the textures together, and using one single material to reference those all at once. We have had this in our sights for a long time, but it's a tricky feature- having both Tiling (repeating) and Atlasing at the same time.

You could absolutely use ProBuilder to replace much of your level design work, vs Blender/etc. Especially with the much more advanced weld, extrude, and subdivide features that are just about ready. However, any super-complex or "organic" models would always be better off created in a dedicated 3D tool. For now anyway- ProBuilder is moving forward quickly! :)

49. tiggus

tiggus

Thanks for the quick reply, yes you stated it correctly what I was really asking about in so many words is combining materials and generating a texture atlas similar to one of GameDraw's functions(don't get me started on that tool however it drives me nuts on OSX).

I'll give ProBuilder a shot and if someday you get a combine materials/texture atlasing option in that would be fantastic.

Thanks!

50. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Tiggus,

Good to know I figured it out- I think I was rambling a bit up there, haha.

Texture atlasing itself is simple- I think Unity even has this built right in, you can just "hook into" it. What gets tricky, and nobody has this yet that I know of, is being able to tile textures inside the atlas- that's essentially "eating your cake and having it too", heh. It would be a massively powerful optimization tool! Needless to say- we are definitely working towards it.

Thanks Tiggus!
    gw