Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] ProBuilder 2.0 : Seamless, Intuitive Level Design in Unity. Finally LIVE!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Feb 6, 2013.

1. hoodoo

hoodoo

I just wanted to say that ProBuilder and ProGrids are great tools and very easy to use. For the person that had trouble changing modes, it's really simple using the G key and ESC to go back to object mode. Of course the keystrokes are only recognized if the cursor is over the Scene window when you press them, so maybe that's causing some people to think they aren't working. The developers are really easy to work with and responsive to feedback as well. In my opinion, buying these tools is money very well spent!

2. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

I'm waiting on this too; as an unemployed indie currently using various primitives to prototype a 2.5D platformer (which works reasonably well for the moment), it's difficult to justify dropping the cash on these tools separately. A discounted bundle may very well be worth it, however. Of course, that doesn't apply to everyone; my needs just happen to be more simple and less pressing.

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Don't worry folks, I'll have this put together soon. Actually in the process of moving right now, so things are rather slow. Thanks for the interest!

4. lod3

lod3

Any update on the next release?

5. yahodahan

yahodahan

r894 just went out (original 2.0 was r535), so there have been a TON of improvements! Alas, not that one. I'll re-mention that to Karl, it probably was set aside while working to get all the new features/fixes/etc.

6. lod3

lod3

So it's going to be a while still?

7. yahodahan

yahodahan

I can't say for sure. I will definitely poke Karl regarding it, and if it's a 5 minute job, he'll probably be okay to bump it to the top of the line. Naturally though, we have a ton of high-priority additions, fixes, etc already lined up. Karl is (I'm convinced) a wizard of some sort, but still only has a few hours per day to work on ProBuilder. We'll do our best to add this in soon, I promise!

8. karl_

karl_

D'oh! Sorry, I totally forgot about this. Doing it right now before I forget!

9. lod3

lod3

Thanks!

10. karl_

karl_

It is done. Also, if you could PM me your email address I'll get you an invite to the ProBuilder beta testing group where you can d/l a build with this included right away.

11. lod3

lod3

Nice. And no worries, I can wait. Just wanted to make sure it hadn't been forgotten :)

12. yahodahan

yahodahan

Told you. Wizard. ;) Please do join the "Beta Testing Group", really appreciate folks helping out as guinea pigs there! :)

13. delibowlen

delibowlen

Hi,
    have a big issue since last update (r894):

When I create a Box, move it like I want and Change it into a Collider/Trigger and push RUN,
    the Mesh of the Collider/Trigger is missing.

Any idea what´s causing this? Or am I missing something really important???

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  14. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi delibowlen-

This is actually (not jokingly) a feature, as outlined in the docs and videos. The Collider and Trigger types are a special type of box, just for catching collisions. Therefore, they always automatically "hide" themselves upon starting your game, but are visible in the editor. Hope that helps explain it, let me know if anything is still unclear :)

Best,
    gw

15. delibowlen

delibowlen

oh sorry, my fault, i mean there´s no mesh at all, even in the "mesh collider" (says "missing mesh"), so the collision doesn´t work at all.... tried different times...

16. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ok, got it! That IS an issue then, for sure. Could you post this on the official sixbyseven forum, at "www.sixbysevenstudio.com", so that we can track the issue better? Thanks for letting us know!

gw

17. delibowlen

delibowlen

Ok, done ;)
    Hope you can fix it soon.

greetz

18. Chris12345

Chris12345

Hows the progress on the new release?

19. yahodahan

yahodahan

Still in testing, but seems fine and available for all registered users who have joined the "Beta Testing" group! :)

20. Chris12345

Chris12345

great thanks

21. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

Is there a feature list available concerning the beta test group, I might be interested in joining if there have been any improvements or additions made to the real time boolean operations.

22. gecko

gecko

Is there any way to create disks with internal ring-segments, so I can create convex or concave dishes?

23. karl_

karl_

No movements on the boolean front made their way into this update, unfortunately. Here is a pretty close to final changelist for the upcoming version:

Code (csharp):
    2. -- ProBuilder 2.1.4 -
    4. # Features
    5.     - Notifications are now displayed when a shortcut is recognized.
    6.     - New preview feature in Geometry Interface.  Interactively create and place shapes.
    7.     - Remove dependency on concave MeshCollider for face selection.
    8.     - New MenuItems for opening the Texture Window, and assorted editor commands.
    10. # Changes
    11.     - Move GUI folder to Resources, allowing 6by7 root folder to be placed anywhere in Project hierarchy.
    12.     - Decouple collisions from ProBuilder API entirely.
    14. # Bug Fixes
    15.     - Fix bug where Mesh.Colors32 property would be lost on duplication.
    16.     - Fix bug that caused Unity to no longer recognize numberical input.
    17.     - Fix regression in 2.1.3 that caused MeshColliders break on entering playmode.
    18.     - Fix bug where shortcut keys would sometimes not be recognized.
    19.     - When updating ProBuilder, the editor window is now force-reloaded.
    20.     - Editor window is now sized correctly for both dockable and non-dockable frames.
    21.     - Fix compile errors when building project in Unity 4.1.2+
    22.     - Fix bug that caused merged objects to incorrectly snap vertex points while ProGrids window is present.
    23.     - Fix NullReferenceError when clicking Merge button with nothing selected.
    24.     - Fix GUISkin issues in Unity 3.5.
    25.     - Fix GUISkin modifications affecting pb_Geometry_Editor incorrectly.
    26.     - Fix 'Delete Face' notification incorrectly displaying on OSX.
    27.     - Fix merged objects losing collisions.
    29. # API
    30.     - ProBuilder.Shortcut is now pb_Shortcut.
    31.     - Add pb_Upgrade_Utility as a base class for all updating operations.
    You could create a sphere primitive using Unity's default sphere, turn it into a ProBuilder object, delete half the faces, then invert the normals. A bit convoluted I think. I'll add dishes to the to the to-do list. When you say disks with internal ring segments, do you mean like a cone with subdivisions?

24. zboyet

zboyet

Just bought builder and grids and am about to set off playing with them but I have a little question google was not able to solve. I changed my grid spacing to 6 inches and now the default textures on the builder objects do no align correctly. Is there a way to change the texture to align to a 6 inch grid? Not the end of the world but it would be handy.

25. mike274

mike274

Tried to download the free version on cgcookie to test and every time I go to checkout, it says my cart is empty even though it isn't. I've love to play around with this and see what it can do. Any way I can get ahold of this?

26. karl_

karl_

Hi Mike,
    Here's a link to download the latest free version of ProBuilder2:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5153453/ProBuilder2(free)-v1009.zip

27. WillOfTom

WillOfTom

Hi there, I'm thinking about buying the full version but I'd like to make sure that it's suitable for what I plan on using it for.

I'm making a game which procedurally generates levels at runtime. Wall, floor and ceiling sections are instantiated from prefabs and positioned and rotated into their place in a grid. The images below are examples of these pieces and how they're placed in a level at runtime:

$wallsandfloors.JPG

$example.JPG

If I constructed these pieces in ProBuilder and saved them as prefabs or meshes; could I then store them in a game object to be instantiated, moved and rotated into position from a script?

Thanks for any advice :grin:

28. J_P_

J_P_

Hey I've been toying around with the free version and I was wondering if the lightmapping issues with planes has been fixed yet (in Pro). And whether any progress on the vert painting has been made (talked about in the Modeling video)

Thanks!

29. Z43D

Z43D

@AimlessTom I might double check with Karl on this one about ProBuilder prefabs/objects being instantiated but to my knowledge they would work just like any other prefab. Even if you ran into some trouble, you can easily remove the pb_object script from the mesh or simply export it as an .obj and reimport the mesh you are going to use. It should be pretty straightforward though :)

@JTown I believe Karl and Gabriel have made some progress in both of those areas in the Pro version. I know Gabriel is on a trip atm so communication is a bit tough for him atm but updates/fixes should be rolling out more frequently on his return, the things you mentioned being included.

30. karl_

karl_

Yes, with caveats. ProBuilder stores mesh information in a class, and reinstantiates the Mesh when necessary (like when instantiating a prefab in a scene). In order for this to work you'd need to add a ProBuilder specific call after instantiation to force rebuild the Mesh.

Edit - I've just added a 'ProBuilder.Instantiate()' method to make this easier. This is available in versions > 1112 (currently only available in the ProBuilder Beta Testing group, which is open to all ProBuilder Pro users).

Lightmapping is indeed fixed, and a very basic version of vert painting is already in there (Alt+Num applies vertex colors per-face).

31. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

How can I know the dimensions of an object in Probuilder? The scale doesn't seem to appear in the Inspector as with normal Unity objects. It just seems to show it as 1,1,1 If scaling is discouraged then is counting squares the only way to achieve a particular size?

32. klaussilveira

klaussilveira

Has this been abandoned? No replies from author.

33. im

im

sure looks like the author is awol

34. Z43D

Z43D

Hey klaussilveira,

It certainly hasn't been abandoned. The author is on a vacation of sorts at the moment. As far as I know, he should be back for support in about a week. :)

35. karl_

karl_

Sorry all, Gabriel has been on a cross-country move, and I tend to monitor the SixBySeven forums for support questions. You can check out our Twitter feed over here (https://twitter.com/ProBuilder3D) to follow ProBuilder's development. As the SVN logs will attest, we are most certainly not awol :)

I've added the object dimensions to a new 'Info' bar in the ProBuilder inspector, as well as begun work on a 3d interface for showing dimensions. Also, scaling is no longer a problem. Feel free to scale away!

As an aside, here's a little preview of one of the next update's new features - extrusion!

Attached Files:

36. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks Karl and Zed!

I have indeed been rather busy, traveling the US for 3 months by motorcycle and tent, then moving across the country to LA. Busy times!

Luckily, progress has been continuous thanks to Karl (see the above GIF for jaw-dropping example), and we have a 2.2 release coming soon, plus some new tools even!

37. tequibo

tequibo

When I try to create new object I get this error and object gets created at 0,0,0 and without material:
    Code (csharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. pb_Object.get_onlyNodraw ()
    4. pb_Lightmap_Editor_Extensions.GenerateUV2 (.pb_Object pb, Boolean show_NoDraw)
    5. pb_Editor_Utility.InitObjectFlags (.pb_Object pb, ColliderType col)
    6. pb_Geometry_Interface.CubeGUI ()
    7. pb_Geometry_Interface.OnGUI ()
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/c514da0c8183631c/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    9. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    10. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/c514da0c8183631c/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    11. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/c514da0c8183631c/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    12. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:234)
    13. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:227)
    14. UnityEditor.HostView.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:120)
    17. ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    18. Parameter name: key
    19. System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[UnityEngine.Material,System.Int32].ContainsKey (UnityEngine.Material key) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/c514da0c8183631c/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:458)
    20. pb_Object.FacesMatchTriangles ()
    21. pb_Object.DuplicateCheck ()
    22. pb_Editor.SceneWideDuplicateCheck ()
    23. pb_Editor.OnHierarchyChange ()
    24. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/c514da0c8183631c/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    25. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    26. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/c514da0c8183631c/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    27. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/c514da0c8183631c/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    28. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:234)
    29. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:227)
    30. UnityEditor.HostView.OnHierarchyChange () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:197)
    I upgraded to win 8.1 recently, I thinked it worked fine before, not sure, I bougt it not too long ago, and was using free version before this, and I dont think I have created any objects, I edited what I had made before.

UPDATE: Seems to be working fine in a fresh project, so I guess problem somewhere in my project.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  38. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi tequibo-

Can you give us a bit more info?
    -Unity Version
    -ProBuilder Version (ie, "r1128")
    -Can you try this in an entirely new project?
    -Could you describe the exact steps you take that cause this issue?

Thanks, we'll get this sorted ASAP- assuming just a conflict with another plugin or an install that may have gone wrong.

39. im

im

np, ive gone cross country a good number of times. month long trips to most of our national/state parks. california has some very good parks so hit google maps ;)

40. yahodahan

yahodahan

Indeed! Loving the area out here.

41. chingwa

chingwa

That extrusion feature... OMG!!! :D :D

42. tequibo

tequibo

Thanks for a quick reply!

- Unity 4.2.2f1
    - Yes, it works fine in new project.
    - 2.1.4b7 revision number 1023
    - Open Probuilder window > Shape Tool > New Cube (or any object)

So it seems there something wrong with my project. I tried deleting probuilder files, and reimporting, but it not helped. And caused old probuilder objects to have two missing mono behaviours, so I guess that was not right thing to do.
    I haven't put too much of work into level design yet, so it would be cool just to get probuilder working even if I will lose my old objects.
    So I guess this is something to do with some other plugins?

43. tequibo

tequibo

Ok, I fixed it!
    It was because I renamed "Default" material and moved it to another folder from Probuilder/Resources/Materials.
    (Of course I had very good reasons for that. Probably)

BTW, thanks for this great tool!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  44. Stardog

Stardog

45. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hurray indeed! :)

46. mimminito

mimminito

Superb product! Cannot wait for the next update, looks brilliant! ProGrids really takes this to the next level, after using other Unity Editor 3D Modelling products, snapping is a must! Thanks again for such a great product.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  47. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thank you very much mimminito! Really great to hear :)

48. paulojsam

paulojsam

I have a doubt :S when i model several shapes and put them together, after i export them to OBJ and then import them, the textures are missing or screwed up. What is the proper method to model, and maintain the textures of the exported object?

Thank you
    Paulo

49. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Paulo,

Can I ask why you are exporting and then re-importing them? Once you export a ProBuilder object, it loses all of it's "ProBuilder stuff", of course, and becomes just a regular mesh. If you are still using it within Unity, it's best to keep it as a ProBuilder object, and just prefab it.

That said, the losing of textures when exporting to OBJ is definitely a bug, we'll look into that ASAP. Thanks Paulo!

50. lod3

lod3

@yahodahan

How long do you estimate this will take to fix? Still considering PB+ProGrids, but my usage also involves exporting out to OBJ for cleanup, vert merging, edge softening/hardening, etc.

Thanks!