Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] ProBuilder 2.0 : Seamless, Intuitive Level Design in Unity. Finally LIVE!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Feb 6, 2013.

1. anwserman

anwserman

Yup! I'm really intersted in this. Any luck with Mesh Baker 2 yet? Makes me wonder what kind of levels you have over there, that demo level looks really impressive (the gray colored one)

2. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Just chiming in to say ProBuilder + MeshBaker integration makes me drool - That sounds amazing.

3. MarStr

MarStr

I just bought it and i already love it! Simple, fast, powerful - Really great work. I also like the fast support. Keep on the good work :)

Best Regards,
    Marcel

4. Toad

Toad

Ditto!

5. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks folks!

6. atmuc

atmuc

can i set textures per polygon? i want to build a street. i have building models. i want to set roads and sidewalk with probuilder. i guess i can do it by creating multiple meshes. can i do it by few meshes by editing polygons?

7. yahodahan

yahodahan

You can apply textures per-face (polygon), and then edit the UVs per face as well :) Should work great for your use, and much more too!

8. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

How to create a model using this with a single draw call / single mesh?
    Also, is there a way to customize tools' hotkeys to be like Maya's or 3DS Max's?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  9. atmuc

atmuc

that's great ! so i can use any material/shader per face.

10. karl_

karl_

Models automatically batch themselves to the minimum amount of materials. Atlasing textures is coming in a future release (I'm working on it, but bugs come first :)).

And yes, all ProBuilder shortcut keys are customize-able:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  11. derkoi

derkoi

I'm a bit confused. I watched an official video saying that ProGrids was included with ProBuilder but when I read this thread apparently it is not needs to be purchased separate?

12. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Derkoi- I think some of the very old videos say that, as it used be included as part of an old "special offer". Sorry for the confusion, if you could point me to the vid, I'll edit it right away.

Thanks!

13. derkoi

derkoi

OK thanks for the reply. Here's the video at the point where ProGrids is mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=smIC250-d9U#t=362s

14. atmuc

atmuc

i just bought it. it is easy to use thanks!

what is the bottom left window on your tutorials? i think it is grid component. how can i get and use it?

it would perfect if you share source code of this product.

15. derkoi

derkoi

Just bought this and Progrids. Looking forward to getting stuck in. :)

16. derkoi

derkoi

I seem to be getting some unwanted issues happening. I've been building my level and using a character controller to move through the level, but randomly colliders seem to move position and block the way, also textures change on playing the scene. I'm using the latest version of Unity Pro.

17. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hey folks! I'm currently away for GDC and some other some other items, traveling till the 4th, back in full swing on the 5th of April. Will try to get some real internet-ing time on Monday (1st) though. I do apologize for the terribly slow response time during this trip :(

18. karl_

karl_

Hm, are you scaling objects, or manually applying colliders?

19. derkoi

derkoi

No, however it seems to have settled itself down now which makes me think it was something I'd done somewhere.

20. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Make sure you don't have a probuilder object selected in sceneview while attempting to test run the game. Whenever I'm running my game while a probuilder object is still selected I'm encountering the same collider issue (even somethings complete parts of the geometry are gone while running the game). Unselecting everything fixes this behaviour for me, maybe this will help you as well.

21. karl_

karl_

Cool, glad to hear it's worked itself out!

22. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks for that. I think that may of been the issue.

23. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Hi, we recently bought this great package and have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to export everything that make with probuilder into Maya, Max ?
    2. Workflow for creating asset bundles from the things that we make with probuilder ?
    3. Is it possible to export everything we build with probuilder to Unity Flash?

Thanks

24. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

25. anwserman

anwserman

Hey,
    I've been fooling around with ProBuilder, and one huge flaw that I've noticed: typically when you single-click on an object in any other software, you click on an *entire* object. With ProBuilder, you click on an object, and it assumes you want it's face. It's really jarring to be forced to have to find the points in an object to move an entire object, or manually have to select the GameObject and move it with Unity's tools.

26. SevenBits

SevenBits

Unfortunately, you can't please everyone. Unless there's a way to change it, you'll have to live with it.

27. karl_

karl_

You can export OBJs, using the Actions/Export to OBJ menu item.

Flash support is upcoming. Thus far demand has not been too high for it, so I'll bump that up in priority.

Sounds like you might like Seamless editing mode. It's a different workflow from Mode Based that behaves more like Unity's default behavior. To set ProBuilder into Seamless mode, go to Unity's Preferences panel, and in the ProBuilder pane change "Mode Based" to "Seamless." You'll need to close and re-open the ProBuilder editor if it is open in order for preference changes to take effect.

28. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

29. karl_

karl_

Thanks for the link. Fortunately Reflection is not used in the ProBuilder runtime components (save for a small snippet that I just removed). The trouble I'm running into is with Generics (which are not entirely complete as of 3.5.6 Flash).

30. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

31. yahodahan

yahodahan

Actually, it sounds like you just need to exit the Geometry mode by hitting the "Escape" key. Then you are back in object editing mode. I've made quite a few very handy video tutorials, all on the site at "www.probuilder3d.com", definitely worth checking those out :) The documentation is also a good source of info. Hope that helps!

32. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Hi Karl,

When I bought the plugin, I read this on the Probuilder Advertising"
    " It works with both Unity Free and Pro, and is great for all platforms, including Mobile (iOS, Android) ".

I thought all meant also Flash and Webplayer. Does it work in Webplayer?

Also, do you have a time frame for Flash, 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 6 months, 1 year ?

Probuilder would be fantastic running on Flash and webplayer. It would really make ProBuilder Unity Platform Complete.

33. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Rocki-

Webplayer should be just fine, Flash is the only issue I'm aware of. I think the Flash integration with Unity is simply a bit wonky at the moment, is all.

However, Flash will actually work just fine if you build your game up, then simply strip all the ProBuild objects down to basic meshes, which you'd probably want to do anyway (merging). Mesh Baker is a great tool for doing that sort of thing, I'm talking with the author of that tool regarding possibly joining forces :) Until then, we could certainly add a special action for merging ProBuilder objects, and then ripping them down to plain meshes, so that Flash has no issue with them.

So, in essence- it already works great with Webplayer, and can work great with Flash, just needs some workarounds at the moment :)

34. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Yahodahan,

Thanks for the info. Publishing to Unity Flash in general has been a nightmare for us.

We are now focusing on Webplayer instead of Flash. The question below is for the WebPlayer, IOS, Android, Mac, PC.

Is it possible to do something like Rotorz Runtime component
    with probuilder runtime ?

http://rotorz.com/tilesystem/guide?ref=13d2d10c-074e-4c60-9f15-2943610ec3ed
    Rotorz Runtime Scripting

The runtime API allows you to access, paint and erase tiles at runtime using brushes. This can be useful when developing custom tile-based character controllers, level designers, etc.

Here are some of the capabilities of the Rotorz runtime API:

Paint and erase tiles using brushes.
    Calculate tile index using ray tracing.
    Find tile nearest given world position.
    Access tile data by row and column indices.
    Use tile data to assist with game logic (orientation, variation index, flags).
    Postpone and control generation of procedural meshes.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  35. gecko

gecko

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but once I start editing vertex or poly faces (G or H keys), I can't figure out how to switch out of that mode. None of the buttons on the ProBuilder toolbar seem to do the trick, nor do the G or H keys. What am I missing? I want to lock in the distortions I've done to the mesh and treat it like a regular mesh.

36. yahodahan

yahodahan

This all sounds very doable, although the current examples and options might not be ready. We really hope to beef up the runtime side of things soon though! We can always add just about anything, and in fact it's very user extensible as well- we have a couple users who have already created "extensions" for ProBuilder, which is truly awesome.

Just hit the "Escape" key on your keyboard :) The tutorials on "www.probuilder3d.com" are definitely worth checking out, and there's lots of good info in the documentation as well- including a printable "cheat sheet" for the keyboard shortucts.

37. gecko

gecko

D'oh! Dunno how I missed that. Thanks!

38. yahodahan

yahodahan

No problemo! :)

39. _MGB_

_MGB_

Been using this for a few weeks now and I can't really say PB is ready for release yet - there are just too many bugs and ways to end up with strange errors in your level.
    The PB crew are open and fast at responding on their forums, so I hope they can sort things out soon, but for now I've had to stop using it - unfortunate to have tied up so much cash in it that I can't use now :(

40. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi _MGB_ , sorry to hear you've had some issues. Many users, including myself, use ProBuilder 2.0 practically all day, and love the power it lends for level creation- no showstopping bugs I am aware of at least.

Feel free to post any and all issues you are having here, and I can answer to each- always good to keep things open and transparent :) If there's a bug, we'll have a solution ASAP!

Best,
    gw

41. Mistale

Mistale

Hi yahodahan!

Been using PB on and off for a while. Right now I'm not using it in production since there's some features I'm still waiting for to make me feel it would fit my needs. But I really love the simplicity of the tool, and I don't mind waiting.

Anyway, you wrote earlier (see quote below) about smoothing. Is that on it's way, or perhaps already in without documentation?
    I've interpreted it as smoothing as in smoothing-groups or similar, meaning vertex normals instead of face-normals. Is that correct?
    That, together with even better merging of PB geometry so you don't get duplicated verts would make me use your tool in a heartbeat!

Thank's for your on-going efforts and for creating a great tool!

42. magevenus

magevenus

Just bought pro builder, and sadly cannot use it.
    Created a new cube via cmd+k, and I cannot select any of the faces. Attempting to change the selection mode from 'global' does nothing (literally, as in it stays in that selection mode).

It's really frustrating, as I planned some time aside to day to learn how to use it since the "tutorials" on the site, are just sped up demo's

43. magevenus

magevenus

This tool is definitely not a 2.0 release, and I say that as someone who bought this AND progrids pro, in confidence based on the demo's provided.
    Selecting a face can randomly cause the editor to completely stall, scratch that it will make your entire computer completely stall.

It does this for about 5 seconds ( or more ), and then resumes back to normal. Problem is that all your events have been queued so when it goes back to normal, you've clicked 6 things by accident and it goes right back into - freeze mode.

Just as a note, these problems have a happened on both my work laptops, one of which I installed unity on just to test this so it is a clean install

Take it from someone who just threw away about $115.00 dollars:
    This tool shows good promise, however it is not ready for anything but beta right now.

44. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi 1dayitwillmake,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm not sure what might be causing this, but we do have hundreds of users (including myself) who use this tool as a daily aid in level building/design, and none have reported such issues. We even just held a really successful ProBuilder competition, which you should definitely check out to see what is possible to create using ProBuilder: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/172155-500-Mapping-Contest!-Sci-Fi-Horror-Theme

Of course, there is a first for everything, and we are always happy to find the issue and fix it right away. We'll need a bit more info to look into this though:
    1) Operating system
    2) Any other tools/plugins installed for Unity (ie, PlayMaker, UFPSC, etc)
    3) Version of Unity you are using

About your face selection issue, it sounds like have misunderstood the instructions. You will need to hit the "G" key to enter "Geometry" mode, and from there you can edit faces and vertices. Just hit "Escape" on the keyboard to exit back to regular selection mode when done editing the geometry.

Perhaps you found old/incorrect tutorials? The tutorials on my site are all very well explained, step by step with zero time-lapse or sped-up during the instruction. I understand it's very, very important to have a tool that's simple to use, easy to learn, and well documented, and the many, many users and 5 star rating seem to confirm we've done a good job holding to that.

Here is a link to the ProBuilder 2.0 Geometry tutorial: http://youtu.be/Nmn8xb3Lu3E

...and of course many other tutorials for just about every aspect of ProBuilder 2.0 as well: http://www.probuilder3d.com/video-tutorials/

Please give those tutorials a full view, or just read through the documentation if you would rather. I've made sure that is very well laid out and diagramed as well.

Again, for the issues you are having, if you could just send me (or post here, that works too!) the info requested, we can try to replicate the issue.

45. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Mistale! My apologies for missing your post- somehow I did not see this :(

Smoothing is per-face, so you simply select faces and assign a "smoothing group", just like 3DS Max, or Hammer. That is in and working, you bet!

The merging, minus vert duplication is on the way. Deleting/welding/etc verts is really tricky business in Unity, and we want to be absolutely certain that we do it right for everyone. No half-baked solutions! I can tell you though, we are working on some really, really cool additions while building the underlying structure/tech to support the complex vert actions. Boolean, cutting, extrusion, vertex painting...all coming up! :)

Thanks Mistale, I hope you still find this reply! :)

46. magevenus

magevenus

Hi @yahodahan,

Thanks for your response on here, as well as on email to help get this issue resolved.
    I sent you the requested info via email, as well as my invoice info -

I'm very excited to get this resolved, so I can start playing around with the very interesting tool you created.

47. lod3

lod3

@yahodahan

When nesting the root '6by7' folder in another (I use a System folder for 3rd party scripting/extensions), the icons in '6by7/Shared/GUI' vanish from the ProBuilder window. The tool still works (including the buttons), but even after restarting the tool isn't reconnecting with these icons.

How would I fix this manually? Thank you.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  48. karl_

karl_

If I recall correctly, those images are set in code with an absolute path. Long story short, they need to be in that path. I'll transition the images to a relative path for the next release, allowing the 6by7 root to be placed anywhere.

49. lod3

lod3

Thank you.

50. delibowlen

delibowlen

Hi,
    you said in your User-Reviews in the asset Store:

"ProGrids and QuickDecals were kept seperate, this way they can be used with any and all Unity game object, not just ProBuilder objects. Although, I will be creating a "bundle" with these, plus several new tools, all together at a discount, very soon :)"

I was just about to buy them all seperatly when i was reading this, any idea when you will release this package? :cool:;);)

greetz