Search Unity

[RELEASED] ProBuilder 2.0 : Seamless, Intuitive Level Design in Unity. Finally LIVE!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Feb 6, 2013.

1. andyz

andyz

Bugs for errors:

2. imDanOush

imDanOush

Hello.
    I have a question. I have modeled a very long 3D road object and I want to split it (or cut it) into shorter 3D models. How would I be able to do that using ProBuilder? Thanks in advance.

3. J0hn4n

J0hn4n

its there a easy way of use texture atlas? like a tile map brush or something i need something like that , i think i will end building my stuff.

4. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Detach faces in face editor mode. You may need to connect some edges or vertices first to create the faces you want to detach.

If you are making a 2D game you can use Texture Packer. https://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker

And import directly into Unity with. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16641

If you are building a 3D game you'll need a paid option from the Asset Store. Something like this. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/22860

There are also some free ones you can find on pastebin but they can be hit or miss. Some haven't been updated in years. There are of course modeling programs that can do it too. If I were in your shoes, I'd just drop the $15 for one of the asset store packages that has a long history of being supported (like the one I linked).

5. J0hn4n

J0hn4n

Well i mean, its very time comsuming have to split up my texture atlas to create a bunch of materials with them, and have to assing it to every face one by one. There is no a way of get the api or source code to edit the uv editor to fullfill what i need?

Something like get a rect of the atlas texture and click on a face to assing uvs of the atlas texture i think its no to hard to implement.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  6. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

You want to assign textures from an existing atlas to faces on different models? I think that's what you are asking. There isn't an easy way to do that. You'd have to go into the UV mode and manually position each face.

If the textures were not in an atlas you could assign them to faces with the material editor. Then use the tool I mentioned before to create an atlas.

All of the Probuilder code is included in the download if you want to make your own tool. Or it used to be in Probuilder Advanced. Not sure if that has changed since it went free but I didn't read anything about it being removed.

7. J0hn4n

J0hn4n

Well i actually i am thinking about something like sprytile uv painting where you select the rect of a texture and later apply on the model face. and the editor code its not avaible i think so i will have create one for make something like that.

8. hopeful

hopeful

Not an expert at this, but if you haven't looked into texture arrays, maybe it's something that would work for you? It's an alternative to atlasing.

9. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Oh. The code isn't available. Bummer. That explains why my favorite add-ons aren't getting updated any more. Not sure how that works with them being brought into Unity but you might be able to get the code if you ask on the Procore forums.

So you want a 3D UV painting tool. There are none that I know of (unless you look outside of Unity). Surforge will kind of do that but it will create a new texture for each object so it wouldn't be the same thing.

You might be able to find a painting tool that would let you do something similar. There are some on the asset store. I have not used them so I really have no idea though.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/103567

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/107061

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/100430

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/55649

10. J0hn4n

J0hn4n

Check blender addon Sprytile and you will understand.

11. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

I will PM you to continue this. It's a bit off topic.

12. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

I'm looking for info on skin meshes with pro builder, anyone know how hard would it be to make pro builder support a skin mesh?

13. hopeful

hopeful

Skinned meshes are more complicated than standard meshes.

You might research the Mesh Maker plugin or its specific subtool Mesh Editor, if you want to make alterations to existing skinned meshes while in Unity's editor.

If you need a tool that is free or highly sophisticated, try Blender. It is not a Unity tool, but along with GIMP, it (or something like it) should be in your development toolkit. Blender is a 3D modeling tool that can author skinned meshes, and GIMP is a free 2D tool that you can use to make textures.

The work flow for using Blender and GIMP is not quite the same as in-editor, but it can be very close.

Aaron2348 likes this.
  14. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Thanks man, Yeah I've been using Blender and Photoshop for awhile now, but I really like Probuilder just wish skin meshes were supported out of the gate.

15. Martin_Gonzalez

Martin_Gonzalez

Using Unity 2018.1.5f1, downloading ProBuilder 3.0.9 from Package Manager:

- Can't see Probuilder Icons in the editor window.
    - Can't bake light on them even having them static and generated their second UV.

Am i doing something wrong or it can be a bug?

16. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

How can I save a mesh I created in a readable format by the Particle System?

I normally use .fbx files that I import in, but I'd like to try and do the same with ProBuilder now.

Tools > ProBuilder > Export > various options are not accepted in the mesh field of the Particle System's mesh field.

17. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I'm having a weird collider issue.

I made this outdoor structure to prototype an FPS controller:

See that red line I drew on it?

If my controller crosses that red line it no longer passes its ground check, but at the same time it does not fall through the surface.

If I place a cube in it, overlapping the probuilder object, it suddenly works and I can not reproduce the error with primatives so I'm fairly certain the issue is with the probuilder model.

I tried to rebuild the structure, but it just repeated the error.

Also, here's the ground check code that I'm using if it helps:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             var layerMask1 = 1 << 0;
    2.             var myLayerMask = layerMask1;
    3.             RaycastHit hit;
    4.             if (Physics.SphereCast(transform.position + Vector3.up * capsuleHieght * 0.4f, sphereCastSize, Vector3.down * capsuleHieght, out hit, myLayerMask))
    5.             {
    6.                 isGrounded = true;
    7.                 GetComponent<CapsuleCollider>().material = playerMaterial;
    8.             }
    9.             else
    10.             {
    11.                 isGrounded = false;
    12.                 GetComponent<CapsuleCollider>().material = zeroFrictionMaterial;
    13.             }
    As you can see, it's nothing special.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I also tried this with Unity's own FPS Controller from the standard assets and am still getting the same bug, so it's definitely not my controller.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  18. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

I've run into this issue when I've tried to move a rigid body controller across multiple probuilder objects.

One thing I've found is that sometimes this happens when I don't use progrids to snap all of the vertices to scale. I've been able to fix it by just setting the grid to like .01m, checking snap on scale and then just nudge the scale tool. This aligns all of the vertices to exactly where they need to be.

Also, just check your controller collider just to make sure it isn't too big and is just getting stuck on the cube collider. Mistakes like that can happen.

Not_Sure likes this.
  19. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Actually I was able to get it to stop by creating two separate probuilder objects, rather than one.

I made a cube for the main building, then another for the catwalk, and it no long has the issue.

And I'm positive it's not my code, since the Unity prefab has the same issue.

I've got a work around for now, but I'll try messing with the snap settings. Thanks for the suggestion.

EvilGremlin likes this.
  20. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Interesting discovery. Thanks for the info.

21. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I have a ceiling mesh that tiles perfectly. I’m noticing that as soon as I probuilderize it, the round parts of the mesh have trouble ruling correctly.

If I triangulate the mesh it gets fixed....however I need them round. I’ve tried smoothing and mergeing the faces to no avail.

Is there a way to prevent or fix this issue?

Attached Files:

22. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

When you probuilderize things, sometimes the vertices shift from the original model. That might be what is happening.

23. lejean

lejean

Does anyone how to get the vertex painter to work on the alpha channel?

I'm trying to assign the weights for terrain vegetation to control the wind sway, I was said probuilder could paint vertex alpha info, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the terrain wind settings.

24. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

I'm pretty sure probuilder doesn't do that. Maybe Polybrush does that? I don't know, I haven't used it much.

25. lejean

lejean

Well the functionality is there for sure, I just can't get it to work.

vertex painter.png

hopeful likes this.
  26. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

I could be wrong, but I think it is for the transparency of the paint only. But who knows? Did you try increasing the size of your brush? Also, the procore forums may be a better place to get support.

27. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I recently upgraded to the latest Pro Builder for Unity 2017.4.14.

I'm noticing that when I bake lighting for my scenes some meshes (even simple cubes), do receive the baked light have a message in the mesh render

"Mesh used by the renderer has zero UV or surface Area. Non zero area is required for lightmapping."

I have no idea what I need to do to fix this issue. As I mentioned it sometimes happens with simple cubes.

28. thedyze

thedyze

I recently started using probuilder, and like it a lot. I do find myself constantly switching between face and edge mode, which kind of slows me down.
    Wouldn't it be possible to somehow auto switch between vertex/edge/face modes?
    So that you would be able to click on any vertex/edge/face and the buttons would switch to that mode.
    Once you hold down shift to select multiple, it would be locked to the mode of the first selected.

Also, the color of currently highlighted edge is not so great, too discrete.
    And if I shift click to select multiple edges, the secondly selected doesn't change color until i move the mouse away from the edge.
    I'd suggest having a more stand out color for the currently highlighted edge.

It is also quite hard to see selected edges at the edge of and object, due to the orange outline

Edit, just found the Use unity colors checkbox, that helped some :)
    Would be nice if we could disable that orange outline also.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    kaarrrllll and Gekigengar like this.
  29. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Mixing editing modes is something we're looking at for the future, though no concrete plans yet.

Also, you can disable the orange outline in the "Gizmos" dropdown under "Selection Outline."

Attached Files:

Mauri likes this.
  30. thedyze

thedyze

ah, thank you. looking forward to mixed edit modes!

31. thedyze

thedyze

why is the grid moving as i move a polyshape object? and sometimes it changes size. it's quite confusing.
    i have predictive grid off

32. thedyze

thedyze

so i'm trying to bind "D" to edge select mode and cant..
    it seems to be "hard-bound" to snapping toggle on/off? i have removed all bindings to the key in shortcuts, but no still no success. any tips?

seems i cannot bind "S" either..

another question, move snapping works fine, but there is no scale snapping?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  33. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, make sure you are using the latest ProGrids (preview, on Package Manager), and then use the Shortcut Manager (Edit > Shortcuts) to change the keys :)

34. thedyze

thedyze

yeah, just updated from 4.04 to 4.05. didnt solve my problem though. still cant get "S", "D" to bind to edit vertices and edit edges.
    In the shortcut manager it looks ok, but doesnt work in the editor.

35. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Did you delete ProGrids from your Assets, and install the latest via Package Manager? (ProGrids, not just latest ProBuilder). Thanks!

36. thedyze

thedyze

thanks for your reply. yes, both were added via package manager from the start, and both are up to date.

37. thedyze

thedyze

ok getting a bit confused here. so i changed bindings to Z,X,C,V which works fine. and then i instead wanted move, rotate, scale on A,S,D.and none of those bindings works, even if i removed all other bindings to those keys.
    A,S simply does nothing, and D is the same as before, holding the key toggles the snapping off, and releasing the key turns it back on.
    this is using 2019.1.0f2 and latest probuilder and progrids. any help would be appreciated.

and while on this topic, i was watching this
    where he snaps using points by holding down "V". having bound that key to something else, i cant seem to use that tool, and cannot find a keybind for it in shortcut manager?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  38. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Thanks for the details! I think you'll need to submit a bug for this one, it should not be doing that. Could you use the "Help > Report a Bug" menu option from within Unity, to do that? Thanks very much!

Regarding V - That is under "Scene View - Vertex Snapping" in the Shortcut Manager :)