Search Unity

[RELEASED] ProBuilder 2.0 : Seamless, Intuitive Level Design in Unity. Finally LIVE!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Feb 6, 2013.

1. gecko

gecko

I switched to a different method to achieve what I wanted in the situation above.

But now a new question: I want to start with a plane and extrude faces to create a cube. (The shape is more complicated than a square, of course, or I'd just create a cube, but that's the basic idea.) I've tried extruding faces, but I can't figure out how to get that duplicate of the original face -- I get a cube which lacks a face where the original plane was. How can I do this?

thanks
    Dave

2. zenGarden

zenGarden

Any news on a fix to keep UV constant whatever we do and push faces ?

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Dave! When a face is Extruded, it is pulled up/over/etc, and new faces are created to bridge between it and where it left. The original location of the face is now empty- because the original face has been moved.

I can see how this might be confusing at first, but we can't just leave/duplicate that face, or it'd be stuck facing "up into the cube", or various other nasty-geo situations, depending on starting circumstances.

Anyway, long story short, two options that will probably help:

1) Bridge the open edges
    http://procore3d.github.io/probuilder2/toolbar/edge/#bridge-edges

2) Use the new Poly Shape tool!
    http://procore3d.github.io/probuilder2/toolbar/polyshape/

4. yahodahan

yahodahan

Did a quick test, not seeing this issue in v2.8.1f0 - can you try with this (latest, currently) version? If it still breaks, best to let us know with a detailed repro on the official Support Forum at www.procore3d.com/forum, that's much easier for us to track, thanks!! :)

zenGarden likes this.
  5. zenGarden

zenGarden

I am using V2.8.1f0
    After using "bevel" on faces or edges, if we
    push some face, the UV are stretched

While using "extrude" tool and pushing any faces the UV mapping stays correct.

The issue is about the "Bevel" tool, that seems to break how UV projection works.

6. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks very much for the clarification, @zenGarden ! Easy to repro now, have created a ticket and it should be fixed up ASAP.

We can usually get to this stuff even quicker if you can post on the official support forum: www.procore3d.com/forum :)

zenGarden likes this.
  7. zenGarden

zenGarden

Great :)

8. gecko

gecko

After upgrading recently, the Probuilder "Get Started" window opens automatically when I launch Unity. Normally there is a "don't show again" toggle on such things, but I don't see one. Might be nice to add one, but in the meantime, how do I disable it?

9. karl_

karl_

The About Window should only open when ProBuilder is upgraded, or installed for the first time. It should not be opening on Unity launches. If it's showing every time you open the project that would be a bug - could you post what version of Unity you're using, as well as OS?

The window relies on Unity's EditorPrefs class and the ProBuilder/About/changelog.txt file to know when to make itself visible, so if you happen to know of any external forces that may be modifying those that would also be helpful to know.

10. gecko

gecko

I'm using 5.5.3f1 on Mac 10.11.5. I don't know if anything that would be modifying the prefs -- is there something I could look at to see?

11. karl_

karl_

I think it's unlikely that EditorPrefs would be the problem, so if you're not explicitly modifying them then it's probably not the cause.

What do the changelog.txt and pc_AboutEntry_ProBuilder.txt files contain? Do they match what is displayed in the About window?

Also, are you using any of the other ProCore plugins? If so, are those up to date as well?

12. roskelld

roskelld

Is there a way to allow selection of unseen faces/vertices? By default the drag select interface only selects elements that are rendered, so backfaces and hidden verts are not selected, requiring you to rotate objects and add them to the selection.

13. karl_

karl_

Yes, toggle the Select Hidden menu option to "On."

rmclachlanTCR likes this.
  14. adventurefan

adventurefan

If I buy Probuilder now, does it include 3.x versions, or are those a separate version you have to pay for an upgrade to?

15. daville

daville

How to make something like the Shell Modifier in Max?

16. karl_

karl_

There are plans to being work on a new major version (3.0), but we're still a long ways off from that update. In the meantime all 2.0 version updates will continue to be free (as they have been for the last 4 years). However yes, when we do eventually put out the 3.0 update it will be a paid upgrade.

Check out the CreateShadowObject API example. You'll need to open it up and un-comment the 11th line (// #define PROBUILDER_API_EXAMPLE).

daville likes this.
  17. henmachuca

henmachuca

Hello there. I have a texture that is pretty squared and I would like to use as a texture for the walls I'm prototyping.
    I have to build a really simple square using the cube shape and extrudes.
    The thing is that when I select a face and apply the texture it looks pretty weird.
    Is there any trick for applying textures for it that I may be missing??

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

What exactly means "long ways off" until ProBuilder 3.0? Any estimates? Within the next 4-5 months, this year, next year etc?

And can ProBuilder replace 3D modeling software like Blender, Maya, Modo etc? I am not going for super detailed 3D art/models but I also want to make props like weapons, vehicles, robots etc (non organic) but not only level design.

19. pfreema1

pfreema1

just bought the procore bundle, and im getting this error:

error CS0117: `Tools' does not contain a definition for `hidden'

It's happening multiple times throughout that file for both 'hidden' and 'current'. This is happening right after importing, haven't modified anything. Any ideas?

20. karl_

karl_

"Long ways off" meaning we haven't started working on it yet, so I'd estimate at least a year. Though even when the 3.0 update does come out we're planning on a grace period for users who purchased 2.0 to upgrade for free, similar to how Unity used to do for major releases.

As for replacing modeling suites like Blender or Maya, no. ProBuilder isn't meant to be a replacement for a complete modeling software. That said you can certainly model a simple gun or robot (check out Gladiabots for example).

Are you using any other extensions in your project? That error likely means that there is a "Tool" class defined in the global namespace somewhere in your project's code. To fix, either put the offending Tool definition in a namespace, or change the "Tools" calls in qe_Editor.cs to "UnityEditor.Tools."

21. zenGarden

zenGarden

What will be the advantages of 3.0 ? Actual version is enought complete to make simple models or make your general level layout.

22. karl_

karl_

The design goal is to provide more powerful tools with less traditional modeling knowledge required. As noted before we're still in the really really super incredibly early planning stages, so there's not much to talk about yet! At the moment nearly all of my time is still focused on ProBuilder 2 development.

23. zenGarden

zenGarden

Something like Sketchup ? There is already a plugin doing it.

24. karl_

karl_

Nope, not like Sketchup :)

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Any roadmap for features coming in v2 until v3? ProBuilder got updated (v2.9.0).

26. bocs

bocs

27. karl_

karl_

There is currently an issue with the Asset Store downloading the incorrect version of packages. No matter what version of Unity you download from you'll be getting the package built for Unity 5.5.

If you register over at our site (http://www.procore3d.com/usertoolbox/) we also host the packages in your Toolbox and you can download the correct version.

28. KillerNads

KillerNads

Hey guys, is it possible to get some help? Ive run into a bug with ProBuilder

when i create a cube and assign a material to the cube. i save the cube as a prefab, after saving it as a prefab the material switches back to the default prototype material!!!

Any idea how to fix this? Ive tried removing probuilder and reinstalling but it doesnt fix it. I have ProBuilder2-v2.9.5f3-unity56 installed.

Thanks

adamz and xxhaissamxx like this.
  29. karl_

karl_

Because ProBuilder does some special stuff to make meshes behind the scenes, it needs to know when a material is applied. Currently that means that materials must be applied while ProBuilder is open, or via the Material Editor. If you just drag and drop materials while ProBuilder is closed those changes won't be saved.

30. adamz

adamz

I'm having the same problem; build my model with ProBuilder, apply a custom material to it, then create a custom Prefab of my model. When the Prefab is dragged into the scene the material gets lost. So is there a solution?

31. karl_

karl_

@adamz Are you applying the material with the Material Editor or dragging it on the mesh?

32. adamz

adamz

I didn't realize that there was a Material Editor built into ProBuilder. That's working now. Thanks.

karl_ likes this.
  33. KillerNads

KillerNads

Okay thanks, but how do you mean while ProBuilder is open? The Probuilder tools window is always open for me as ive docked it in my unity window. But even with that drag and drop still doesnt work.

34. karl_

karl_

That'd be a bug then. There's a case open to address this that should make it into the next update.

KillerNads likes this.
  35. Sluggy

Sluggy

Something weird is going on with the UV2s when using ProBuilder objects as prefabs.

I'm trying to bake lightmaps for my prefabs and then re-apply those lightmaps at runtime after instantiating. Works fine for normal meshes, however, all probuilder objects appear to have invalid lightmap UVs. I did a simple test at edit time by instantiating a prefab and applying the lightmaps - as expected the probuilder objects were wrong but I could fix them by generating the UV2s in the probuilder actions menu.

I'm not sure how probuilder stores or re-generates it's meshes when in prefab format but this seems to indicate that the UV2s aren't being regenerated along with it, or at least not properly.

36. zenGarden

zenGarden

EDIT : no issue.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  37. karl_

karl_

That sounds about right. ProBuilder doesn't store UV2 when it's a prefab, and if you have "Auto Generate UV2" disabled they won't be rebuilt when instancing prefabs. To enable automatic UV2 generation you can use the Options popup in the Generate UV2 menu item.

38. Sluggy

Sluggy

I already have it set to rebuild UV2s. But that's an edit-time thing, yes? I need this functionality at runtime. Which isn't really too difficult to do (I've already implemented it myself) but I just thought I'd mention it.

karl_ likes this.
  39. adamz

adamz

What's the best way to use ProBuilder to build rooms and not have any light bleeding? I just made some quick rooms with the extrude tool and then inverted the normals.

Thanks. light-Bleeding.jpg

40. lod3

lod3

Looks like the vertices aren't welded. Can you post one with "Shaded Wireframe" on?

41. adamz

adamz

They are. All I do is choose New Shape > Cube, 5x5x5, Flip Normals, and place my Player inside it. I'm trying to see how I can use ProBuilder to create levels and not have light bleeding.

Attached Files:

42. mwituni

mwituni

That's strange, I used a similar method to build a large network of occlusion framework around my tunnels to occlude other objects and exclude light and they are totally light-tight. I started with a cube, and just extruded the one end in different directions and scale to create it.

43. Arganth

Arganth

Newbie-Question: is this really necessary to build this occluders?
    any tips/tricks to do this fast?

as i plan to use SEGI (which has a lot of light bleeding) i need to do this anyway ^^

44. karl_

karl_

Yes, there's an API example that adds a menu item to do this quickly. Just enable it by opening "API Examples/Editor/CreateShadowObject.cs` and un-commenting the #define PROBUILDER_API_EXAMPLE line.

Arganth likes this.
  45. adamz

adamz

@yahodahan

Hi, do you have ant solutions as to how to build rooms to avoid light bleeding? Thanks.

46. lod3

lod3

Actually, the vertices were not welded. I repeated your steps (New Shape > Cube, 5x5x5, Flip Normals), and I saw the light bleeding. Exported to OBJ, opened in Maya, but Instead of the 8 vertices I was expecting for a cube, there were instead 3 vertices at every point, for a total of 24 vertices. After properly merging these vertices and exporting to FBX, the light bleed is gone. Honestly surprised this is still a thing.

not-welded.PNG

hopeful likes this.
  47. adamz

adamz

Thanks, I'll try welding them in ProBuilder and see if that's a solution too.

lod3 likes this.
  48. adamz

adamz

Any thoughts on how to combine those vertices in ProBuilder? If I select a vertex the entire corner moves as a group. In Maya they're individual, which as you suggested I can merge and then export.

49. lod3

lod3

I honestly don't know. @_karl or @yahodahan would be better suited to answer that. The light bleed issue is largely what forced me to abandon PB shortly after it released years ago.

50. adamz

adamz

Thanks for your help.

lod3 likes this.
unityunity