Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] ProBuilder 2.0 : Seamless, Intuitive Level Design in Unity. Finally LIVE!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Feb 6, 2013.

1. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Yes - highlighting on edges and vertices in element mode still workds as before.
    The selected polygons are also registered by ProBuilder regularly just like before - just that I can't see how many and which faces I've selected in face mode any more.

I've had the issue with an older installation of proBuilder before and got rid of it by deleting the whole 6by7 (resp. ProCore) folder and reinstalling fresh. Since the documentation says that it is not recommended in a project to delete the folder I hesitate to try this, though. Also it's been happening before and I can't see any regularity when it's happening. I can't get it back either except with reinstall or a fresh project.

2. karl_

karl_

Are there any errors in the console? Also, what version of Unity are you running?

3. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

The only Error I get in the console is:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/ProCore/ProGrids/Editor/pg_Editor.cs(1146,22): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.Undo.RegisterUndo(UnityEngine.Object[], string)' is obsolete: `Use Undo.RecordObjects instead'
    I'm running on Unity5 Beta13 but I've had this happen in 4.x (Pro) as well.
    And I'm using ProBuilder2-v2900 from the probuilder site login.

4. paulojsam

paulojsam

how to combine diferent probuilder objects, there was a button in the previous version, in the recent one, how to achieve this

5. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

hi i have noticed that you can only see the selected faces if the view is set to iso/ isometric instead of pers/ perspective on the top right cube

the_motionblur likes this.
  6. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

You are right. In Isometric view it works again. And it is also scene specific, it seems, since in a new Scene I get the face highlighting in perspective viewmode again as usual.

7. Seith

Seith

Hello, I'm sorry if that question has already been answered but: can I edit and manipulate any default Unity geometry (ie: a cube) using ProBuilder? Or does it only work with "special" meshes that were created with ProBuilder in the first place?

8. paulojsam

paulojsam

My probuilder geometry isnt baking lights after i make the lightmaps. What are the settings to check if the probuilder geometry creates them or not

9. karl_

karl_

In `Object` mode, the ProBuilder editor window has a button called `Merge`.

Hm. Face highlights should work in both perspective and orthographic modes. Is your project making use of the Deferred Rendering path? Also, is there any post-processing in the scene, or anything special about the scene camera?

All ProBuilder objects generate UV2 channels automatically. There shouldn't ever be a case where UV2s aren't present. Do you have Lightmap Static checked in the Editor flags enum?

10. paulojsam

paulojsam

Thank you, those details i forgot, i assumed they where in by default

11. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Aw man - thanks a lot! That's it. The camera is set to deferred. This makes neither ProGrids display its grid nor ProBuilder display face highlighting. I didn't know this was causing ProBuilder not to display highlighting. Especially since I thought that seting a camera - not the project itself - to deferred would not change the scene viewport but only gameview.

Can this be fixed somehow?
    It's a little odd having to switch between deferred and forward during editing.

12. karl_

karl_

I had heard that setting a game camera to deferred could have that effect, but haven't gotten around to figuring out why. I'll look into tomorrow morning and see if I can't figure out why that's happening.

13. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

just noticed that myself, i dont understand because if i put another camera in thereand set it to forward with the deferred one then it works fine completely confused now

14. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

Hey Forgot to mention this about the selected faces not showing and the grids not showing in deferred a little trick i now use is to set the graphics emulation to shader model 2 when indeed to use it, that way im not fkn with anything i might forget about

15. Seith

Seith

Hello, it's been a week and still no reply to my simple question so I'll ask again: it is possible to edit default Unity meshes with ProBuilder? Or is editing only allowed with "special" meshes created via ProBuilder? Thanks!

16. Archania

Archania

Yes there looks like there is Seith:
    http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/quickedit/

"QuickEdit allows you to edit nearly any mesh, without ever exiting Unity, and from a clean + obvious interface.

Better yet, QuickEdit adds full “instancing” support to your meshes. This means you can edit the mesh once, and all other objects sharing the same mesh will update to match, in real time. Alternatively, you can edit the mesh as a copy, and it won’t change any others."

17. karl_

karl_

Sorry I missed this comment! To answer your question - yes, however you need to first convert it to a ProBuilder compatible mesh (there's an action to do this in the Menu). Alternatively, you could just use QuickEdit as Archania mentioned.

18. Seith

Seith

Great! Thank you very much for your replies, guys! :)

19. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Getting 6 of these errors when I try to open the shape menu.

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    Parameter name : key

20. megisto

megisto

I have few more questions before buy probuilder. I am planning to use it to model the buildings for my city game:

1- can i work on "posed" model? I mean, if i build an house and i pose it on my terrain will i have my transform tool aligned with local transformation?
    2- Can I model instances? For example if i have several columns in my building can i just model one and see changes on every column?
    3- Sorry for this question is about Progrid, but i plan to buy the bundle: can i align the grid to a specific normal or to the local transformation of an object?

Thank you

21. saruiwa2

saruiwa2

Can I change position of the origin of the object?

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

A bug still not corrected :
    The extrude function on cylinder top faces, don't move the center vertex as same height as new faces.

23. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

i think the new update broke the selection tools as i can no longer drag and select anything, good times

24. karl_

karl_

This is a bug in the mesh generation code - it currently does not like when a mesh has only null materials. Usually this is caused by a missing default texture. To fix this, just make sure a Resources folder exists, and within that folder another folder name "Materials" with a material named "Default_Prototype". Should look like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. Resources/Materials/Default_Prototype.mat
    This requirement will be removed in an update, but for now this will get the shape tool working again.

1. Yes, ProBuilder can align the handle to either the World, Local, or Planar transform.
    2. Yes, simply make your mesh a prefab and changes made to a prefab can be applied to other instances using the 'Apply' prefab toolbar button.
    3. Not yet - though that feature is planned for a future update.

Yes, using the "Set Pivot" menu item. Make sure that the "Pivot / Center" toggle in the Unity toolbar is set to "Pivot" to see changes.

Yes indeed, I'll look at this today in fact. Note - you can work around this by shift-drag extruding instead of using the button or keyboard shortcut. Hold Control while dragging to snap to 1m increments.

I'm not seeing that problem - what version of Unity are you running? I've tested on 4.6f3, as well as 5.0b13 (I'm downloading the b16 now and will report back if I can reproduce with that version).

25. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

i was running unity 5v14, think that was the problem i have just updated to 16 and the problem seems to be fixed, didn't expect it to be a unity problem, ahh the fun of beta's.

The only problems i still have now is the faces don't show when selected unless forward rendering is selected on the main camera, or shader model 2 is selected or its in iso.
    im also having the strange issue where i need to conform the normals of an object in order to get rid of black faces or missing faces.

26. zenGarden

zenGarden

Thanks.

27. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

oooo seems unity 5v16 removes the lag when using pro builder and if you leave enlighten on continuous

karl_ likes this.
  28. Alanj2007

Alanj2007

It would be nice if there's boolean/sculpt feature, where you can make a hole on the model

OutSpoken_Gaming likes this.
  29. OutSpoken_Gaming

OutSpoken_Gaming

Moving edges possible?

30. Extrakun

Extrakun

Hi,

We are trying to get a toolkit where the user can place windows on a wall; so this means "cutting" the shape window on the wall. How can this be done with ProBuilder, as I gathered from an initial search that it does not support boolean operations.

31. zenGarden

zenGarden

I think Probuilder is not for replacing a complete modeler and advanced features. Anyway for the window you can make it in Probuilder buy extruding faces.

32. radimoto

radimoto

I'm trying to Test ProBuilder 2.3.3f1 on Unity 5 Beta 17 but it fails with the following errors:

Assets/ProCore/Shared/About/Editor/pc_AboutWindow.cs(22,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `pc_AboutWindowSetup'
    Assets/ProCore/Shared/About/Editor/pc_AboutWindow.cs(48,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `pc_AboutWindow'

EDIT - after further testing it looks like this is due to having Quick Decals 2 installed. ProBuilder on it's own compiles OK

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  33. karl_

karl_

Yes.

Thanks for reporting this - I'll get it taken care ASAP.

This has been fixed since the last release, but to fix this just make sure you have the default material at this location:

Code (csharp):
    1. Procore/ProBuilder/Resources/Materials/Default_Prototype.mat

34. exitsimulation

exitsimulation

Hey!

I'd like to change specific vertex colors of Probuilder objects procedurally from code.

E.g. I have a model which has a certain vertex color for each face. Now I want to be able to change these colors from code later. Each face that was formerly red, now becomes green; each face that was formerly default yellow, becomes blue and so on - just an example.
    I thought maybe I could assign basic default colors to an object and then find faces by these colors. So If I want to change the (default) red face I am looking for all faces (or vertices) with this color and change them to a new color.
    Am I on the right track? How can I access and change current vertex colors from code?

Thanks!

35. karl_

karl_

Yes, that would work. There's actually a menu item that does - `Select Faces with Vertex Colors`. If you've installed the source version, you can find the code in

Code (csharp):
    1. Editor / MenuItems / Selection / MaterialSelection.cs
    There's also the API example script `HueCube.cs' that shows how to change individual vertex colors.

36. exitsimulation

exitsimulation

@karl_ Thanks! It worked like a charm!

Now, where does Probuilder save the custom meshes I created? I want to save them in case of an update and can't find them with the highlighting function as usual.

Edit:clarification

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  37. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

as far as i believe they are saved in the scene so you need to use the probuilder option of exporting the mesh. it should be in the PB menu somewhere, but im not in unity to say where.

karl_ likes this.
  38. ge01f

ge01f

@karl_ I reported this via email, but Gabriel asked me to report it here.

I've found something that look like a bug in 2.3 related to geometry face editing.

I am working in Geometry Face mode, after setting up most of the materials on 1 object, and several doors (separate objects). I go to set a face material and it sets it on the face, and all the separate objects (all faces) as well. Video 1 shows this.

Here is another video showing this same thing happening with flipping normals, but this seems to create even more issues.

Flipping the ceiling or floor, flipped so many other faces that the model became pretty much unusable. Trying to fix them, I would eventually find a face that would flip most of them back, making it impossible to fix them all once it has been triggered.

Im using Windows 7, on a Dell Latitude E7440, 16GB RAM, Unity Pro 4.6.0f3. Latest version of Pro Core Bundle downloaded.

Really enjoying using ProBuilder otherwise. It's awesome being able to do almost everything inside the Unity editor.

-g

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  39. exitsimulation

exitsimulation

Hello!

I am encountering a bug with Probuilder where I cannot change the material of an object. If I am changing the material in the material window the new material is added under the default material "Default Prototype" as a second material. When I change the material directly in the inspector the material gets changed however If I copy the object or reload the scene the material changes back to "Default Prototype".
    How can I permanently assign a new material to a pb_object model? (If I remove the pb_object script I can change the material as usual and It does not change back on scene reload. So the bug is definitely caused by Probuilder).

40. ge01f

ge01f

This might be the bug I just reported above you. I had similar "revert" things happen.

41. gecko

gecko

I'm using the latest version of ProBuilder, mostly with great success. However, I have a weird problem with one object. See attached. This is a plane that I've adjusted (moving vertices around) to fit into the 3D scene. Most polys on the plane look great with the standard (drag and drop) texturing, but these are really goofy. All the beige polys are using the same material. How can I force it to snap back to the default UV? (I have not yet grasped how to use the UV editor).

thanks!

Attached Files:

42. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

any news about the integrated tool to atlas textures? will it still come in a next update?

or should i invest in a draw call optimisation tool ? like mesh baker or pro draw call optimiser? Someone tested which one have the best compatibility with probuilder?

43. wolfomat

wolfomat

hey there,

i having following trouble:
    i change the mesh renderer material on a probuilder object , after saving the scene and reopening unity, the materials didn't save and i have to re-assign the material on the mesh renderer.

any ideas?

44. exitsimulation

exitsimulation

This is exactly the same problem I described earlier... "Glad" I am not the only one having this issue...
    Unfortunately I haven't got an answer or reaction to this problem for about two weeks ... :(

45. Barachiel

Barachiel

I've found that if you change the material in the inspector it reverts. If you use Probuilder's material button instead, it's fine.

46. snacktime

snacktime

I had a couple of questions before purchase and went to your forums. But they asked me for technical details about how some features work? Really? :)

I used the prototype free version for a few minutes to see if this would work for me and it looks pretty solid.

The main question I have is can I remove all scripting from the models that are created when I use them in my game? If not, what will I lose by using your OBJ export and then just bringing the model back into unity that way? The game is open source and I'm trying to avoid as much closed source software as possible in the runtime.

47. Barachiel

Barachiel

There's an action for removing all probuilder scripts from the selected items, or all items in the scene. They work just like any other object after that.

48. illinar

illinar

Can anyone tell me if there is a slice tool in ProBuilder? I did not purchase it yet and I'm not sure it would work perfectly for me. I need to create a complex track for a racing game and the "extrude" workflow probably won't work for me. With the slice tool I would be able to create exactly the shapes I want.. Is there a way to try ProBuilder before you buy it?

49. karl_

karl_

There's a Connect Edges command, which cuts faces, but no 'Slice' tool.

Edit - regarding trying it: There's Prototype, which is the core of ProBuilder without the advanced operations like cutting and subdivision.

50. illinar

illinar

Thanks for clarification. I have Prototype, but I don't think it would help me to see if the ProBuilder workflow would work for me. Although now I can imagine, knowing the difference between them.