Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] ProBuilder 2.0 : Seamless, Intuitive Level Design in Unity. Finally LIVE!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Feb 6, 2013.

1. nomax5

nomax5

I bought the indie substance painter etc. in the recent sale and thought I would try it out with a .obj created in pro tools.

When I try to export nothing happens, I select the probuilder object in my hierarchy then click tools menu ProTools - Actions - Export Selected to OBJ Pick a location to save it but nothing happens.

Question 1: am I being stupid and not understanding something? (I often am btw)

Question 2: I'm still trying to get my head around substances and am wondering does ProBuilder work with substances?

Roy

2. julianr

julianr

Hi Guys, can you send me the Pro Core bundle link with the latest build that works with PlayMaker, did send you a couple of emails but so far I've yet to hear back. Thanks.

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Julianr- sorry about that, maybe your email hit our spambox somehow, but I don't see it. Could you PM me the email that you used to register/purchase with? I'll get you fixed up ASAP!

Best,
    gw

julianr likes this.
  4. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Roy, sorry I haven't been keeping up with the forum here well enough, mostly am over at "procore3d.com/forum", our official support area. But, that's no excuse for ignoring folks!

To answer you:

1) Could you double check, and if still not working, post this to the official bug forum (link above)? That would indeed be a bug, if it isn't working for you. However, I use that feature quite often, so it should be fine, in the latest Beta at least.

2) Yep, works great with Substance!

5. SteveB

SteveB

I see 2.2.5f6 is out and up on the AS; any chance the vertex coloring tools I described on page 13 will be added soon?

You mentioned after that you added 'Select Faces with Vertex Color', so I'm going to assume that maybe it and other functions were added and I simply missed the changelog? :D

Thanks Karl!

-Steven

6. SteveB

SteveB

Oh and while this is in no way a 'robust' bug report as I'm headed to bed, but when I attempted to install ProBuilder (for the first time), it deep-sixed a bunch of stuff, killed my custom Layouts and throwing out errors in scripts that have nothing to do with ProBuilder, namely stuff for Playmaker, including the AStar Playmaker actions and RootMotion (FinalIK). I don't see how these are directly related but perhaps your tools being DLL's perhaps interfere with other scripts and assets in the /Plugin folder?

If you're aware of this issue and might be able to help, great, otherwise tomorrow, if this rears its head on subsequent installs, I'll be sure to include a more detailed reporting on specifically what's going on.

Thanks again guys

-Steven

7. zenGarden

zenGarden

It is possible to turn PRoBuilder mesh and their properties to simple geometry ?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  8. karl_

karl_

Agh right! Sorry, I didn't make a note to do that and it got lost in the fray. Painting per-vertex colors still isn't in, but per-face is. The selection and detach-per face stuff would be a quick script - I've added it to the case load and should have it done by tomorrow afternoon.

Yes, they are simple geometry from the get-go. The ProBuilder components are only active in the Editor and may be removed at any time (though the must be attached in order for objects to remain editable).

The current release has some known issues, but I would consider it stable. That said, the 2.3 update is imminent (just holding on some issues when upgrading from a previous ProBuilder version) and addresses all known bugs, and has been tested in Unity 4.6 and 5.0.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, ProBuilder objects are simply Unity meshes. You can even strip all the ProBuilder scripts from your geometry once you're finished if you feel so inclined.

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

A last question after pruchasing it, it was a box saying to mail to procore contact mail our income if we want to receive some updates. We muse mail the order number ?
    Are updates in Asset store as regular as from probuilder site ?
    Is there a button to smooth normals we selected ? to have rounded corners ?
    I have already a bug : extruding a cylinder cap the center vertex is not moved at same height as other vertices

10. karl_

karl_

Registered users have access to the Beta releases group, which sees (usually pretty stable) updates roughly once a month.

Smoothing edges is done with Smoothing Groups. Check out the docs for info on how this works.

Extruding a cylinder cap using Ctrl-E, got it. I've got a case made and will have that fixed pronto. Also, you can hold shift while dragging to extrude, which serves as a workaround for that particular bug. Thanks for the report!

zenGarden likes this.
  11. zenGarden

zenGarden

Thanks.
    Some tools i would like to see :
    - A bevel tool for edges, so usefull to quickly round edges.
    - Select loop faces or edges instead of ring select

12. karl_

karl_

We've got a ticket for beveling edges, but I'm not sure when that will make it in.

Select edge loop is already in and will be with the 2.3 update.

Also, @SteveB it turns out that I *did* implement select faces with vertex color already. It's in the 2.3 update as well.

zenGarden likes this.
  13. SteveB

SteveB

Awesome Karl thank you!

Any thoughts on my issue regarding my preexisting /Plugins folder? I've had no trouble doing clean installs of Probuilder and the other Assets I noted, but in my current working project installation is problematic? I've yet to try again to get you more detailed error reporting, but maybe you're at least aware this could be an issue?

Thanks again Karl!

-Steven

14. karl_

karl_

With regards to the deep six-ing, I'm thinking that's a bug in our install script that happens when installing to a project with Playmaker present. I've fixed it for the 2.3 update, but in the meantime there are two workarounds to avoid this when installing ProBuilder 2.2.5 -

A) Import ProBuilder, but do not install using the Install popup. Close that window, and instead double-click the ProBuilder2-v2321-unity43 package in the Install/Packs folder.

B) Remove Playmaker, install ProBuilder, re-install Playmaker.

15. SteveB

SteveB

Awesome yet again Karl yay!!

Speaking of 2.3, after watching your presentation at Unite I'm rather eager for it; do you have a release window?

Cheers!

-Steven

16. karl_

karl_

Thanks Steve, glad it's working!

2.3 is complete - the only thing holding up release is an issue with upgrading from 2.2.5 to 2.3. I'm working on fixing (or at least providing repair scripts) for it now, hopefully we'll have it out in a couple days.

Alternatively, it is available for download on the beta group (though I'd only recommend fresh installs) right now :)

17. SteveB

SteveB

Copy that...I can wait. :D

Thanks Karl and have a great afternoon man

-Steven

18. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hi,

I'm fascinated by ProBuilder since quite a while (definitely looks fantastic, I bow to that), but still didn't really need it. Since now I might get it soon-ish (maybe next month) I have a couple questions:
    1. I found infos about ProBuilder and texture atlases (and possibly UV mapping/unwrapping) only on very old pages. Are they somehow supported now? Or you don't plan to support them at all?
    2. What about Unity 5 (sorry if this was already asked)? Will you release a new ProBuilder version, and thus I should wait to get it, or this one will last long?
    Thanks & cheers

19. zenGarden

zenGarden

I have some questions also :
    - can we change names convention of generated meshes ? (they have a long name with a number)
    - can we merge objects we created in Probuilder as one simple mesh object , for example if i create some house it is possible to merge all created meshes as one mesh object only ? This would also decrease the draw calls as one object.

20. karl_

karl_

A full UV editor is the next update, and should be pushed to the store either tomorrow or Tuesday. Texture atlasing isn't supported natively, but there are plans to support it in the distant future (not currently scheduled, but it is something we're aware people are interested in).

Unity 5 is already supported. I've tested the current release in 5.0b3, which works well save for a bunch of warnings over deprecated code. These warnings have been fixed for the 2.3 release.

Yup, you can change names of generated meshes. They are only named on creation, after that you can change it to anything you'd like.

Yes, merging is supported - there's a button in the GUI that does this for you.

zenGarden likes this.
  21. MIK3K

MIK3K

I've discovered the same Playmaker - Probuilder 2 install problem. But mine goes deeper than that. I'm new to all this stuff and installing Probuilder 2 nukes everything on the toolbar including itself (except default unity features) and the asset store Game Camera and UniStorm fill up the console with tons of yellow errors and a few red ones. Same with quick decals but usually it's just quick decals generating red errors in the console.

I think the best way (for me) is to have different Unity Projects set up with only the assets I need for that part of the game - one project for terrain and level building (only Probuilder 2, Progrids, Quick Decals), one project for animation (and the ton of free mocap animations and numerous character controllers), and a third project for playmaker and import just the finished levels and animations stripped of unnecessary assets.

22. karl_

karl_

Hey Mik3k - this error was fixed in the 2.3 update, which was pushed to the Asset Store just yesterday. Also (for the older version), if you were to install ProBuilder first, then Playmaker, that would fix the issue.

23. foamdo

foamdo

I just updated to 2.3.0 and I'm getting this error: "The type or namespace name `pb_Face' could not be found." I'm using Unity 4.5.4

I tried doing a fresh install (deleting everything, reinstalling everything), but all my script references are broken in the unity scene. I'd have to rewire everything again. is there something I'm missing?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  24. MIK3K

MIK3K

Yes, thanks that works well now.

-----------------------

Foamdo - I was getting the - "cs0246: The type or namespace "pb_Face" could not be found." But mine is because of the little "Pro Distance" tool from the asset store, so I'm guessing the author of that tool needs to update it because of the new Probuilder update? Probuilder was acting weird with extruding - the first extrude would narrow down to 0.91 square from the 1 x 1 PB cube and then each extrude would continue at 0.91 square, but I checked just now and it is working perfectly.

25. jessica1986

jessica1986

26. paulojsam

paulojsam

im having an error. when i open the material window, everything is screwed up, but its just this window... i was using procedural textures... how can i correct this

27. paulojsam

paulojsam

and the buttons even if hidden from the visual confusion arent working, its the only menu thats screwed up, what can i do to correct this, reeinstall probuilder or something

28. paulojsam

paulojsam

strange just reeinstalled probuilder and the issue is gone...

29. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Sorry if this has been asked already.

Are you able to define vertex colors in probuilder (for use in shader)?

30. gamedivision

gamedivision

how do i avoid this happening, the extrude needs to be the hole face,and do you have insert loop planned thanks
    it seems to be extruding the edges as well as the face so an inner extrusion exposes the edges

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  31. zenGarden

zenGarden

I just seen vertex of face coloring, not individual vertex. Perhaps some vertex painting tool could be barught in the future ?

32. karl_

karl_

I think this is a bug in the Cmd-E extrude code - if you extrude by shift+dragging those faces, does that work correctly?

Also, Insert Loop is already available. It's under ProBuilder -> Geometry -> Insert Edge Loop (Alt-E).

Yes, and in fact, I wrote a quick prototype tool of this feature that can be used until I get around to properly implementing this. Simply create a script named pb_VertexPainter.cs in a folder named `Editor` and paste this in it. It creates a tool under ProBuilder -> Tools -> Vertex Painter Tool. Simply set the vertex color and click / drag to paint it on your ProBuilder objects.

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEditor;
    4. using System.Reflection;
    5. using System.Collections.Generic;
    6. using ProBuilder2.Common;
    8. public class pb_VertexPainter : EditorWindow
    9. {
    10.     [MenuItem("Tools/ProBuilder/Tools/Vertex Painter Tool")]
    11.     public static void MenuOpenVertexPainterWindow()
    12.     {
    13.         EditorWindow.GetWindow<pb_VertexPainter>(true, "ProBuilder Vertex Painter", true).Show();
    14.     }
    16.     void OnEnable()
    17.     {
    18.         if(SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate != this.OnSceneGUI)
    19.         {
    20.             SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate -= this.OnSceneGUI;
    21.             SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate += this.OnSceneGUI;
    22.         }
    23.     }
    25.     void OnDisable()
    26.     {
    27.         SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate -= this.OnSceneGUI;
    28.     }
    30.     Color color = Color.green;
    31.     bool enabled = true;
    32.     float brushSize = 1f;
    34.     void OnGUI()
    35.     {
    36.         EditorGUILayout.HelpBox("Prototype Tool!  This functionality will be added to ProBuilder in the future, in a much less hacky way than this.", MessageType.Warning);
    38.         enabled = EditorGUILayout.Toggle("Enabled", enabled);
    40.         color = EditorGUILayout.ColorField("Color", color);
    42.         brushSize = Mathf.Max(.1f, EditorGUILayout.FloatField("Brush Size", brushSize));
    43.     }
    45.     Event currentEvent;
    46.     MethodInfo IntersectRayMesh;
    47.     Camera sceneCamera;
    48.     pb_Editor editor { get { return pb_Editor.instance; } }
    50.     Dictionary<pb_Object, Color32[]> hovering = new Dictionary<pb_Object, Color32[]>();
    52.     void OnSceneGUI(SceneView scnview)
    53.     {
    54.         if(!enabled)
    55.             return;
    57.         // this is meh :/
    58.         // will be adding a way to turn off pb_Editor sceneview junk
    59.         // without having to force the edit level
    60.         if(editor && editor.editLevel != EditLevel.Top)
    61.             editor.SetEditLevel(EditLevel.Top);
    63.         currentEvent = Event.current;
    64.         sceneCamera = scnview.camera;
    66.         GameObject go = HandleUtility.PickGameObject(currentEvent.mousePosition, false);
    68.         /**
    69.         *    Draw the handles
    70.         */
    71.         if(go != null)
    72.         {
    73.             pb_Object pb = go.GetComponent<pb_Object>();
    75.             if(pb != null)
    76.             {
    77.                 if(!hovering.ContainsKey(pb))
    78.                     hovering.Add(pb, pb.msh.colors32 ?? new Color32[pb.vertexCount]);
    79.                 else
    80.                     pb.msh.colors32 = hovering[pb];
    82.                 Ray ray = HandleUtility.GUIPointToWorldRay(currentEvent.mousePosition);
    84.                 /// necessary because Physics.Raycast() doesn't pick up objects without mesh colliders
    85.                 object[] parameters = new object[] { ray, pb.msh, pb.transform.localToWorldMatrix, null };
    86.                 if(IntersectRayMesh == null) IntersectRayMesh = typeof(HandleUtility).GetMethod("IntersectRayMesh", BindingFlags.Static | BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance);
    87.                 object result = IntersectRayMesh.Invoke(this, parameters);
    89.                 RaycastHit hit;
    91.                 if ( (bool)result )
    92.                 {
    93.                     hit = (RaycastHit)parameters[3];
    94.                     Quaternion q = Quaternion.LookRotation(hit.normal, Vector3.up);
    95.                     float size = HandleUtility.GetHandleSize(hit.point) * brushSize;
    97.                     Handles.CircleCap(0, hit.point, q, size);
    99.                     Vector3 localPoint = pb.transform.InverseTransformPoint(hit.point);
    101.                     Color32[] colors = pb.msh.colors32;
    102.                     for(int i = 0; i < pb.vertexCount; i++)
    103.                     {
    104.                         if( Vector3.Distance(localPoint, pb.vertices[i]) < size )
    105.                         {
    106.                             colors[i] = (Color32)color;
    107.                         }
    108.                     }
    110.                     pb.msh.colors32 = colors;
    111.                 }
    112.                 else
    113.                 {
    114.                     // Clear
    115.                     foreach(KeyValuePair<pb_Object, Color32[]> kvp in hovering)
    116.                         kvp.Key.msh.colors32 = kvp.Value;
    118.                     hovering.Clear();
    119.                 }
    120.             }
    121.         }
    122.         else
    123.         {
    124.             foreach(KeyValuePair<pb_Object, Color32[]> kvp in hovering)
    125.                 kvp.Key.msh.colors32 = kvp.Value;
    127.             hovering.Clear();
    129.             Ray ray = HandleUtility.GUIPointToWorldRay(currentEvent.mousePosition);
    130.             Quaternion q = Quaternion.LookRotation(sceneCamera.transform.forward, Vector3.up);
    131.             Vector3 p = ray.origin + ray.direction * 10f;
    133.             Handles.CircleCap(0, p, q, HandleUtility.GetHandleSize(p) * brushSize);
    134.         }
    136.         // This prevents us from selecting other objects in the scene,
    137.         // and allows for the selection of faces / vertices.
    138.         int controlID = GUIUtility.GetControlID(FocusType.Passive);
    139.         HandleUtility.AddDefaultControl(controlID);
    141.         if(    currentEvent.type == EventType.MouseDown ||
    142.             currentEvent.type == EventType.MouseUp ||
    143.             currentEvent.type == EventType.MouseDrag)
    144.         {
    145.             Dictionary<pb_Object, Color32[]> sticky = new Dictionary<pb_Object, Color32[]>();
    147.             foreach(KeyValuePair<pb_Object, Color32[]> kvp in hovering)
    148.             {
    149.                 Color32[] colors = kvp.Key.msh.colors32;
    151.                 sticky.Add(kvp.Key, colors);
    153.                 // This is terrible, and is currently being re-written -
    154.                 // the whole vertex color API is overhauled for next release!
    155.                 foreach(pb_Face face in kvp.Key.faces)
    156.                 {
    157.                     face.SetColors( pbUtil.ValuesWithIndices(colors, face.indices) );
    158.                 }
    159.             }
    161.             hovering = sticky;
    162.         }
    164.         SceneView.RepaintAll();
    165.     }
    166. }

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    zenGarden and angrypenguin like this.
  33. gamedivision

gamedivision

I think this is a bug in the Cmd-E extrude code - if you extrude by shift+dragging those faces, does that work correctly?

i didnt use Cmd-E i used shift drag.

34. MIK3K

MIK3K

I've been having some buggy stuff again with ProBuilder 2 (just updated to the latest version) changing size to 0.91 square when extruding a face the first time from a cube and seems like sometimes it extrudes back to a larger size (maybe back to 1 x 1?). I'm guessing at that measurement again because ProDistance needs to be updated again. Can't remember what I did that fixed it the first time (playmaker/probuilder combination?).

But I think most of the bugginess is probably Unity itself and/or the combination of addons I have and trying to get everything to show up in the toolbar and load them in the proper order.

Anyway, just came here mostly to say I've started using ProBuilder 2 finally to block out some areas on my level and it is the most awesome tool ever! I'm a total noob to Unity, know zero programming, pretty much an idiot, but this tool is a joy to play with.

And that level you guys built for the new UFPS is what inspires me to use this tool a lot.

35. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi
    Can this probuilder achieve what ultimate unwrap 3d can do? For example, unwrap has a script which can be used to reduce polygons effectively and still keep it in a good standard.
    I already purchased the bundle, just want to know if there is something in this package which could be used to reduce polygon through a script or etc. If not, then I guess I have to buy unwrap 3d.

36. karl_

karl_

As in, you set the scale of the PB cube to { .91, .91, .91 }, and after extruding a face it resizes itself?

No, ProBuilder does not have mesh simplification tools built in. Though most of the geometry you'd build with ProBuilder would be quite low-poly just by nature anyways.

37. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

I have a question regarding frustum culling (i.e. unity free, not occlusion culling).

If I make some big level mesh (rooms, corridors, etc.) and it's all one object... how does the frustum culling act on this?

Does it treat it all as one big object or does it break it down into individual faces that are to be rendered. Because, I would imagine that just culling one big object would not have any performance benefit, as far as culling goes, because it's always going to render the entire object because it's always in the view.

If that's the case, then it would make more sense to break up the level into many individual objects, correct? For example, all room and connecting hallways would each be their own objects.

But ideally, I would hope, the frustum culling is based on polygons/faces that are within the view. Could anyone share their knowledge on this?

38. theSoenke

theSoenke

Is there a way to convert meshes into probuilder objects?

39. oysterCAKE

oysterCAKE

Somewhere on the tools -> Probuilder menu (actions?) should have a convert to probuilder

40. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

hey im getting problems with pro builder, it always wants me to conform the normals while im making stuff and when i reload my scene back up. is this because im using U5

41. karl_

karl_

I've noticed this too, but I'm not sure what's happening (or how to fix it for that matter). Running Refresh or Conform Normals does seem to work, and sometimes the tris just "snap back" to the right facing if I leave it long enough. I'm working on Unity 5 compatibility at the moment, so hopefully this will be sorted out soon.

42. megisto

megisto

Hello ProBuilder Team,

i am interested in the bundle. The question is: do all the tools works nicely together?
    Can i, for example, import a mesh made in, say, Lightwave, make it editable using QuickEdit and then modify it using Probuilder? And maybe use Progrid and so on together?

Thank you

43. karl_

karl_

Yes, all the tools are compatible with one another, though with some caveats for some mutually exclusive ones (QuickEdit and ProBuilder for example).

So you would be able to import a mesh from Lightwave and it is immediately editable using QuickEdit. If you wanted to edit it with ProBuilder, then you could run the 'ProBuilder-ize' action to create a ProBuilder editable copy from that model. ProGrids and QuickDecals work with just about everything out of the box.

44. megisto

megisto

Is this "ProBuilder-ize' action" a tool (or a script) inside the package? Thank you.

45. karl_

karl_

Yes, it's included with the ProBuilder package.

46. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

yh every time i start the scene up it reverts to the broken version and i need to select them all and conform normals to fix it. its not to bad at the moment as i store all the pro builder objects in its own root folder, so i can select them all and fix it but this is only a little scene i chucked together to test some stuff out, my main game is pretty big. dont know if saving it as an asset will fix it i will have to see at some point.

47. MIK3K

MIK3K

Sorry, forgot about this. I would start with a 1 x 1 cube and then when extruding a face it would instantly shrink that face to 0.91 x 0.91 as I pulled it out (using the pro distance tool). Just checked and now it's not doing it (maybe since the last update?). I figure it could just be a weird thing in my specific project or some kind of rounding error - but it's working fine now.

I do have one question. I have some terrain meshes that are only vertex painted. Using the probuilderize action strips the vertex colors from the mesh and it turns white instantly. But there must be some way to save vertex colors, especially with probuilder having a vertex painter. Again, this might be something just on my end because I tested a probuilder cube, used the vertex painter, and when I used the "strip all probuilder scripts in scene" then the cube turned back into it's original color and lost the vertex painted face colors.

I just use your quickedit program and it works fine for working on the meshes without removing the vertex colors. But I would like to use probuilder to delete hidden faces (unless quickedit can do that?).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  48. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I'm sorry if this has been asked already but is it a bug or a feature that the face highlighting all of a sudden isn't shown in poly edit mode any more? Can I reenable it again somewhere or do I need to fit it - if so how?

49. jessica1986

jessica1986

50. karl_

karl_

It should be visible if you're in Element editing mode and have any faces selected. Do you still see vertices and edges?

I've noticed this with OBJs in general - Unity always seems to apply a default diffuse material to the second material channel of imported meshes. If you just drag the right material into the second sharedMaterials slot that should get it rendering properly.