Search Unity

[RELEASED] Powerlines

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ManoxCZ, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ManoxCZ

ManoxCZ

Hi,

we finished our tool for fast and efficient creating and editing of electric and telegraph lines. We prepared the basic set of poles. You can create your own pole models for prototypes.

You can buy it here on Asset Store : https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18906

Tutorial video :

2. ManoxCZ

ManoxCZ

New screens

3. Exploderad

Exploderad

Hi!

I bought your power line tool, And I think the tool works really great. You can really make a scene feel more believable with some wires :) I have one problem though, and it's a pretty big one. When I export the game the wires are gone. I've tried exporting to web and windows. And I have Unity 4.5.3.

I've looked through the log for the exported windows version and it seems that the shader you are using is not supported. The error I get is : "WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Manox.Tools/WireShader' - Setting to default shader."
    One other thing I'm wondering, why is the shader set to use transparency? I'm not very good at editing shaders myself, or even understanding half of it. But it feels like this shader should work with out transparency. It would help when baking oclussion.

I would be grateful for any help regarding the export issue. I think you made a great tool, and It works really well in the editor at least :)
    If you would like a sample, I've put a test at https://www.dropbox.com/s/aw3ta6s0eca3ljp/PowerlineTest.rar…
    The test is a clean project with only your tool added, no modifications.

Thanks!

4. ManoxCZ

ManoxCZ

Hi,

sorry for delay. It's my fault, I have to release fix for this bug. You can repair it itself when you change value _PixelScale from 0.0000000001 to 0.001 in WireShader.shader.

Manox

5. tomaszek

tomaszek

upload_2015-1-19_12-31-48.jpeg

I've just bought it and spent some time looking around the package. Here is an example wiring on my example RTP scene. I'm quite pleased with the results that can be achieved pretty fast (that's the package should be here). 2 small requests that might be considered:

1. deflection per segment (so I can have more deflected wire beween certain poles). That's not that critical ahoutgh, but but be needed by some users
    2. your custom shader to improve wire rendering. This works quite decent so wires don't produce ugly artifacts as they are quite thin geometry. My suggestion is - maybe it would be even better trying to implement custom shader for camera facing billboards. I mean - kind of line renderer, but on GPU (I made something similar so it's definitely possible). This way you could antialias your wires a lot better without necessity to use MSAA (not available in deferred modes anyway).

More than this - good work !

ATB, Tom

sjm-tech likes this.
  6. radimoto

radimoto

Hi Manox, I just bought this today and have some suggestions.

1) Can you please create a folder containing pre-rigged poles, with the joints already set up? While it is great to be able to customise the poles for the existing poles if they were pre-rigged you could literally be and running in seconds rather than minutes :)

2) It would be great if the wires could react to wind forces.

Cheers,
    Andrew

7. ManoxCZ

ManoxCZ

Hi,

we released new Unity 5 version. It supports PBR for all pole prototypes and also for wire material. We added new feature - random pole tilt with range (only Unity 5) .

Your questions :
    1. deflection per segment - maybe in next version.
    2. your custom shader to improve wire rendering - I'm thinking about it, but in this time I want to be comaptible with mobile devices.
    3. Can you please create a folder containing pre-rigged poles - I don't understand, package contains pre-rigged models.
    4. Wind - I'm thinking about this, maybe in next version.

8. ManoxCZ

ManoxCZ

Hi,

we are working on new update. I expect we will publish it next week. You can attach new wire consoles on objects in scene like buildings or another poles. You can now create pole with more then 2 links to another poles.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  9. ManoxCZ

ManoxCZ

We apologize for delay, our programmer had gypsum on his hand. We are finishing new version with poles on buildings and other objects. Last thing we have to finish is documentation.

And we have one little surprise for you

tomaszek likes this.
  10. ManoxCZ

ManoxCZ

11. ManoxCZ

ManoxCZ

Hi,

you can download new version 1.2 from Asset Store.

New features :
    Attach poles on buildings
    Simple wind

12. Gregu

Gregu

Hello!

I'm using Powerlines and it's very good and intuitive piece of add-in!

However, I have a trouble when enabling the default Fog option (in Lighting panel). It looks like the WireShader isn't supporting the fog. Can you give me some advice on how to avoid that "shining spider web" effect? ;)

13. ManoxCZ

ManoxCZ

Hi,

I tried fog and you are right. I found one simple but little ugly solution. Set material Pixel Scale to 0.

Attached Files:

14. ManoxCZ

ManoxCZ

15. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Manox, great tool!
    Is there a way to easily use another shader for the wires? (also loosing the wind effect)
    A line renderer alternative for the wires could be also very useful.
    Thanks
    Max

16. ManoxCZ

ManoxCZ

Hi, you have complete source codes so you can modify all what do you want. Yes, it's possible to change wire geometry and material.

17. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Can you add a feature to crash the pole with a vehicle so it falls like a tree and the wires do break?

18. jodec

jodec

I purchased the latest version ( 1.3 ) of powerlines. Very easy to use and it adds a realistic touch to the environment. Only thing is that this latest version seems to be missing the wind script. The only scripts in the package are "PowerlineEditor.cs" in the Editor Folder, "Powerline.cs" in the Code folder, and "PowerlineJoint.cs" in the Code folder.

There appears to be no way to set the wind effect, which is why I think a script is missing from the package. Other than that, I like it. Keep up the good work.

19. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Cool to see this is still running on modern Unity.
    I wish they fixed this. The poles after placement are no longer prefabs, they shold keep being. What I do is to use a swap script and I replace them when the poles are no longer going to be modified.

20. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Please update for 2018.1

Please also make wire shader single pass

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEditor.EditorStyles.get_foldout () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/EditorStyles.cs:135)
    3. Manox.Tools.Powerlines.PowerlineEditor.CreateGUIStyle () (at Assets/Manox.Tools/Manox.Powerlines/Editor/PowerlineEditor.cs:44)
    4. Manox.Tools.Powerlines.PowerlineEditor..ctor () (at Assets/Manox.Tools/Manox.Powerlines/Editor/PowerlineEditor.cs:39)
    Also when update please allow manox tools to be placed in another folder to keep project tidy

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  21. Little_Gorilla

Little_Gorilla

The Wire shader isn't compiling on 2018.1, any chance of a fix? Super solid and simple powerline solution otherwise though.

Attached Files:

22. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Yeas please, update the plugin.

unityunity