Search Unity

[RELEASED] Power Grid Inventory: Diablo II style inventory

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sluggy, May 26, 2015.

1. Sluggy

Sluggy

Version 1.4 is now live with the aforementioned features and fixes.

For version 1.5 I'll be investigating a built-in save/load feature as well as adding an inventory editor.

2. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Sluggy, inventory editor...? What do you envisage it doing and editing?

3. Sluggy

Sluggy

I figure it would be quite handy at edit-time to be able to place specific items at specific locations in inventories. For example: if you wanted, say, a shop keeper to always have the same three items and you wanted to position them manually this would be the tool to do it with.

4. Duffer123

Duffer123

Ok, makes sense

5. SteveB

SteveB

Hey Sluggy, I was curious why the sprite for a given item changes scale when it is rotated? Is this easily rectified on my end or would you have to do further code finagling to make it clean?

Still looking great man!

Cheers

6. Sluggy

Sluggy

Hmmm, the default slot prefab has its UI.Image set to scale to fit while maintaining the original image ratio. Have you changed this or substituted the default for a custom prefab? Also, are your grid slots square? If none of that fixes your problem then perhaps you could post a before and after image for me to get a better idea.

Also, two bugs to report. I be making a hotfix for them asp.
    1) Items with a default highlight color don't rotate the highlight properly.
    2) In the 5.3 update apparently Unity did away with the old API for adding custom vertices to UI elements with almost no warning. Worse yet, the replacement API was alledgey marked obsolete within a couple weeks of being added. As a result the 3D icons will not work if you are using 5.3 or later. I'm looking in to a backwards compatible solution for this.

7. SteveB

SteveB

Oh sorry I didn't specify, but this was in your Example scene with the swords/armor/etc. You can fire it up yourself and see what happens, and it isn't subtle. Since the cells in your file are square, I'd expect the sprite to simply rotate, not scale at all:

Default Orientation...

PowerGrid_RotIssue_DefaultOrientation.JPG

...and Rotated:

PowerGrid_RotIssue_Rotated.JPG

Thanks Sluggy!

-Steven

8. Sluggy

Sluggy

Sorry for the delay. You caught me right in the middle of moving.

Anyway, I see what you mean now and am working on a hotfix to put out asap!

9. Sluggy

Sluggy

Okay, hotfix patch 1.4.1 is finished and being submitted now. Again, I apologize for this as it was my own foolishness that caused it. I decided to simply eyeball the results rather than write any actual tests to check the numbers. I'll take this as a sign that I need to enforce stricter testing measures on myself for future updates.

Anyway, the next hotfix will be submitted within the next few days as well and will fix the issues with the 3D mesh icons. While I'm on the topic, it seems likely that down the road I may create a new UI.ImageMixed component that can carry a sprite and a mesh so that I can simplify the whole system. I'm not sure how backwards compatible it will be though.

10. SteveB

SteveB

You silly but productive man! :D

Thank you Sluggy and (I'm assuming) great job! Haha cheers brother

-Steven

11. Sluggy

Sluggy

Hotfix 1.4.1 is live now. It seems unlikely that the hotfix for 3D icons will pass through the asset store approval before the holiday so I will spend that time working on releases for 5.3+ and 5.1 to increase compatibility.

12. Razorgaunt

Razorgaunt

OK, probably a dumb question, but is there an easy way to hide the inventory (and keep it active), other than disabling the Panel's Image and every single Slot object Image?

13. Sluggy

Sluggy

You know, I never considered the need. You are correct: if you wish to make the view invisible but remain active then you will need to disable all UI Images in the view's hierarchy. I'll add a property to do just that for the next update.

14. Razorgaunt

Razorgaunt

My intention was that the player could pick things up without the inventory open. (If it's full, or the thing is too big, it would just drop it again with maybe a warning sound). My other option would be to move the inventory off-screen, that might be the better option anyway.

15. Sluggy

Sluggy

Hmm, maybe I'm missing what you are saying here but it it is entirely possible to add an item to an inventory without the view being active by using the PGIModel.Pickup() method. In my own game I simply call that method when the player collides with an item on the ground and they automatically aquire it if there is room. You'd have to manually check for success in order to play an 'inventory full' sound though.

16. Sluggy

Sluggy

Just a heads up: I'm working through the testing phase of a built-in xml serializer then on the save/load features I promised! As an added benefit I'll also be including a light-weight (and entirely optional to use) database system for item definitions!

Now for the bad news - Earlier I promised a fix coming soon for 3D icons that would support both 5.3 and earlier versions of Unity. The fix was delayed for various reasons so I appologize for that. What's more is that I will be dropping official support for versions earlier than 5.3. Now, for the most part things will still work fine for any earlier 5.x version of Unity but 3D icons will be the one major exception. Again, I appologize for this but being the sole person working on this project I need to focus my time on making it as feature-filled and bug-free as I can and backwards compatibilty seriously hinders that... Also, the new built in unit test system is just too handy for me to give up.

17. Sluggy

Sluggy

Huzzah! After several false starts, wrong turns, and poorly chosen trees to bark up I have finally got a functional, general-purpose, Xml serializer working and submitted! This means some great things will be happening for PGI soon, including all that jazz about built-in save/load features and inventory editors, and an item database editor! What's even better is that is makes a good serializer for pretty much any kind of data you can throw at it. So far the list of neat-o features includes:
    • Supports primitives, enums, and complex types.
    • Supports regular C# classes, GameObject hierarchies, and individual Components.
    • Can serialize delegates! (Use with caution though).
    • Can serialize (as far as I know) pretty much any Unity built-in object or Component and can be extended easily should something new pop up that isn't automatically supported.
    • Properly handles shared and circular references.
    • Supports polymorphic data.
    • Supports generics.
    • Supports lists, dictionaries, and enumerable types.
    • Supports runtime loading of Resource data (animations, audio clips, textures, etc).
    • Can be modified and extended using ISerializationSurrogate interface.
    • Can be extended to support in-place serialization of resource data (things like procedurally generated textures or user uploaded textures come to mind)
    • Serializes to Xml to make it easier for backwards/forwards compatible data and cross-tool use.
    Best of all it doesn't require much setup to use. Many objects can just be passed directly to the serializer method. In the case of prefabs and resources a little extra work is required (mostly just pushing a single button) but overall it is designed to be simple, easy, and just work.

While I've been testing the heck out of this as I developed it I'm still not quite ready to claim it is perfect yet so consider this a beta release until it's had some time to be put through real-world work. I also haven't had a chance to consider performance in terms of speed, memory use, or file size so there might still be some backend stuff to do.

You'll also note that the serializer library will be under a new namespace, 'Pantagruel', which is the name of a database editor I'm working on. As an added bonus, a lightweight trial version of this editor will be included in future versions of PGI once it is ready for use. Expect this feature to be appearing shortly after the currently submitted 1.4.2 update.

18. Sluggy

Sluggy

Ok. It looks like I must have goofed with the 1.4.2 update. For some reason I was under the impression it was awaiting review but after checking today it says that it was never even submitted. As it stands I've already finished the 1.5 release that I planned to upload by now and so I will be resubmitting that instead. I appologize for the delay but hopefully the new features will make up for it.

19. Sluggy

Sluggy

Also, here are the features and fixes that will be in the next update. I've got them separated by version but all of them will be included as it is the 1.5 version that is currently pending.

1.5: 3/17/2016
    • Added SaveModel() and LoadModel() methods to PGIModel. See the documentation and example scene for how to use them.
    • Added a helper component 'SaveLoad' that can be more easily rigged to UnityEvents and used to save and load inventory models to and from disk.
    • Added a new event: PGIModel.OnModelChanged - this event is used to let other objects know when a new model has been instantiated by calling LoadModel() so that they can change their internal reference from the old on to the new one.
    • Added a user guide for the Pantagruel serializer and resource manifest builder system. It can be found under the Pantagruel subfolder. Please read it before attempting to use the serializer or the built-in save/load system.
    • Added serialization support for multidimensional arrays.
    • Fixed the 3D icons to work with 5.2+ version of Unity. Some preprocessor trickery should allow it to remain backwards compatible. However, the rotation code for item icons in general still depends on new versions of Unity. I'll try to make this backwards compatible in a future update.
    • 2D sprite icons can now also be rotated with the 'PGISlotableItem.IconOrientation' property.
    • The 'PGISlotItem.IconOrientation' property now works in real-time.
    • Fixed aspect-ratio issue with drag icon when dragging sprites.
    • Included some backend code for 'Pantagruel', an item database editor that will be added in the future.
    • Added framework for an in-editor tutorial system.
    • Changed the requirements of a Grid Slot prefab. If you see errors you may have to create a new slot prefab based off the default one.
    • Updated the manual a bit to reflect new features including rotation, auto-arrange, save/load, and more. The intro has also been updated so please give it another read as it contains some important information regarding the new save/load system.
    • Fixed a small bug in the TransformSurrogate deserializer that would cause objects to not be restored to their original position, scale, and rotation.
    • Changed the way PGISlotItems get moved into their parent model when stored. They now retain their world position, scale, and rotation. This is to facilitate better serialization.
    • Removed old example projects and replaced them with smaller simpler ones that show off individual elements of PGI.

1.4.2: 3/2/2016
    • Added an Xml serializer under the namespace 'Pantagruel'. Still in beta.
    • Added AutoSquareSlots Component. Just attach to a parent of a GameObject that has a PGIView and then supply the view reference. It will maintain size of the view's RectTransform to keep the slots square.
    • PGIView now updates when it is enabled to reflect latest model state.
    • PGIView now resizes slots when RectTransform changes rather than rebuilding all slots.
    • If the model changes grid size in the editor the view will now immediately reflect that change.
    • Improved View's ability to handle model reference changes. Null can now be supplied to clear a view entirely.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  20. Sluggy

Sluggy

More great news for all of you considering purchasing PGI. I've just submitted a Lite version that will be on sale in the asset store shortly!

It will exclude socketing, save/load, the serializer, and any future updates for the item database system but will otherwise function exactly the same and still provide the easy-to-use grid and equipment system. I'll post a link as soon as it is approved and available.

21. Sluggy

Sluggy

22. Sluggy

Sluggy

1.6 has just been sumbitted and will come out the other side with the following features and fixes:

• Added a Slot pooling mechanism. This can help decrease load times and make dynamically re-sizing large grids faster because new slots do not have to be instantiated as frequently. See the manual for details.
    • Implemented XmlDeserializer.DeserializeComponent<T>().
    • Added a 'Disable Rendering' toggle to the view that facilitates easy disabling/enabling of all slot rendering without deactivating the view.
    • Equipment slots can now accept stacking items.
    • Items with a stackId lower than '1' can no longer be stacked. This way the default value is 'do not stack'.
    • Removed all Linq related code.
    • Fixed a bug that caused certain important actions to be skipped when disabling a PGIView.
    • Increased performance and ease of maintenance for PGIView by simplifying and re-organizing internal update events.
    • Lowered the occurrance of repeated unnecessary grid resizing during certain events.
    • Removed the FixedUpdate from PGISlot. This should help performance a little, especially for scenes that used very large numbers of PGISlots.
    • Fixed several bugs in the stacking code, especially when stacking across different inventories.
    • Fixed an object leak in the slot batching process. The leak would occur when re-sizing the grid to a smaller size where the batched sub-elements of the slots would remain when the root of the slot was deleted.
    • Rearranged several files in the Pantagruel folder. There are also some stubs for the upcoming inventory database system, however it is still pre-alpha.
    • Added OnDragBegin and OnDragEnd events to items.
    • Added OnDragEndInvalid to PGIView. Take note that methods that were previously triggered by the OnSlotDragEnd event might not be called in all of the same circumstances now. They should be reformatted to use this new event as it provides much more useful data.
    • Added a extension component called 'InventoryDropSpot'. It can be attached to any UI element and will move an item that is dropped onto it to the specified inventory.
    • Added more tutorial scenes. Especially ones pertaining to event triggers and the use of several built-in extensions that use them.

Note that I moved a few files around in the Pantagruel folder. You might get duplicates when updating to the latest version of PGI due to this so it might be a good idea to delete that folder before upgrading in an active project.

23. Sluggy

Sluggy

Version 1.6 has now hit the asset store! For version 1.7 I'm going to take a step back from some other long-term features and focus on some smaller issues that have popped up with recent feedback. First on the list will be the long-promised hotbar slots. As well I'm going to try to add some helper methods and niceties for better stacking as well as a more robust way of handling icons when socketing.

24. schragnasher

schragnasher

Hello im having issues with equipment slots not properly showing icons when i hide and show them. Hard to explain so i made a gif.

https://sli.mg/jC8RQ8

25. Sluggy

Sluggy

As a matter of fact I helped someone else with that very same problem this morning. A quick workaround for now is to edit the PGIModel.cs file by changing the method MarkAllDirty() to public and then calling that method after making your equipment slots visible.

26. Razorgaunt

Razorgaunt

Hey Sluggy, I asked a while back:
    You'd said "it it is entirely possible to add an item to an inventory without the view being active by using the PGIModel.Pickup() method. In my own game I simply call that method when the player collides with an item on the ground and they automatically aquire it if there is room. "

Edit: OK, I think there's a bug, now that I think about it. When I disable the "Inventory Panel", and do a PickUp on an item, it does not appear in the grid when I re-enable the panel. However, the other Event function does occur, the Item is disabled. If I PickUp with the Panel enabled, the item appears in the Grid. Any clues here?

Edit2: Another clue: When I pick up another object, with the Inventory visible, the other object that is already in the inventory, but can't be seen, shows up.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  27. Sluggy

Sluggy

Hmmm, have you updated to the latest version of PGI, version 1.6? I don't seem to have any issues with this in the current version.

There are two other issues with the equipment slots however. Currently if an equipment slot is not active then items will never be equipped to them and will go straight to the grid. The other is a bug with the equipment slots where they don't properly display their inventory when deactivated and re-activated. A quick fix for the second issue can be found two posts above this one. The next release will of course will have fixes for both of these.

28. Razorgaunt

Razorgaunt

I updated, and that did fix the "Item is not initially added to Inventory, if Inventory is not visible when PickupItem is called.

Also, excellent timing, I also was running into the invisible equip slots, and the MarkAllDirty is working for me.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  29. Sluggy

Sluggy

Glad it worked out ok then! :D

30. Razorgaunt

Razorgaunt

sigh ... I'm back. I am trying to script removing an item completely from Inventory while it is in an Equip Slot. I called "ProcessRemoval()" on the PGISlotItem. That seems to remove it from the Inventory, but the slot still shows it, and I can drag the item back into the Inventory (amidst a flurry of "Array index is out of range." messages. How should I do this? (Preferably with just a reference to the Gameobject Item.
    Edit: More background. I am trying to do a Raycast-Mouse Click placement function with whatever you have equipped in your "Component" slot. I was trying to leverage the "TrashItem()" and Drop() function, but how you do it in the "OnEquip" with no arguments in the Event call confuses me.
    Ok, figured it out.
    Edit: Sorry for documenting my learning process here. Any way this works (attached to the Item)
    public class DropItem : MonoBehaviour
    {

public void DropItemFromInventory()
    {
    PowerGridInventory.PGISlotItem PGISI = this.GetComponent<PowerGridInventory.PGISlotItem>();
    PowerGridInventory.PGIModel PGIM = GameObject.Find("Inventory").GetComponent<PowerGridInventory.PGIModel>();
    PGIM.Drop(PGISI);
    }

}

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  31. Razorgaunt

Razorgaunt

Sluggy, an actual functionality question instead of me just mucking about.

I am considering using your inventory system to place objects and allow the player to "tetris" them around to fit. The reason why I can't is:

A: The objects have animated textures and I would need them to be animated in the inventory system. The objects exist in 3D, but I wouldn't object to having them be Sprites while in grid.
    B: I would like to make odd shapes, rather than just rectangles. I was thinking about composing the objects as multiple rectangles and have them associated with each other.

Can these be done in your system, or should I just come up with my own grid system?

32. Sluggy

Sluggy

I'm not very familiar with use of animated textures for 3D models but I imagine it wouldn't hard to implement yourself by adding an animator to the slot prefab and have it cycle through materials for a 3D icon.

The other feature would be a lot more effort to be sure. I know for a fact I came to several diverging paths in the code for just such a thing and I always choose to avoid it for the sake of simplicity and speed. I honestly thought such a feature would be something ignored, or even considered a liability. It might be possible for you to edit PGI to enable this funtionality but I think for such a specific case where you know exactly what the end result will be, it would probably be much simpler to roll your own.

33. Razmot

Razmot

Hey, I think you should release the 3d image as a separate asset ! There are lots of inventory system on the store, but I ve never seen an ugui 3d image component like that, it can be very useful for in game levels editors to make buttons for each placeable prefabs for example, and I m sure there are other use cases. Generating / maintaining sprites matching with 3d models is very tedious !

34. Sh4D

Sh4D

INVex0.jpg INVex.jpg

Hi there, first thank you for the awesome tool. I purchased it long time ago and did a lot of modification to it to fit my project. Therefor I am not doing updates for it. I could spare some time to search why the bug occurs but I was figuring you had it solved by now and could point me in a direction.
    So as you see in the image 1 the inventory works perfectly 90 pourcent of time. But from time to time when I place objects in it or when I refresh it to make a bigger backpack it causes some slotes to disapear like in the picture 2 causing all inventory to fail. Eventually It would go away if refreshed again. So I could start searching if it is the dirty region or something but like I said time is precious for me and if you could help and spare me some time I would be eternally greatfull!

EDIT: Ok so I posted too fast, I am sorry, the bug don't occur when moving objects between Views, that was my fault ( Happens when you work on a project for a long time and edit things you did a year ago) But it still happens really occasionnaly when refreshing the grid to make a bigger backpack.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    haywirephoenix likes this.
  35. Sluggy

Sluggy

Hi Sh4D,

It will be quite difficult to know exactly what is wrong just from your description - there were a lot of small bugs that popped up like that over time. If you are willing and able to send me a copy of your modified version of PGI, I can try to track down your issues as well as integrate it will the latest version. Barring that, I will at least need to know the version of PGI and Unity so that I can try to backtrack through my bugfixes and suggest some thing for you.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  36. Sh4D

Sh4D

Hi, thanks for trying to help, I thought I was forgotten and only saw now your reply. Anyway I guess you made so much modifications it will be difficult to understand why. I updated Unity to 5.4.2f2 but my PGI version is very old like one of the first releases 1.3.0 9/3/2015
    The thing is some slots just disapear after the grid is updated and items stored back.(Usually only one slot). From my memory, it felt like one item was stored in a single slot instead of several, and that single slot was invisible). Also happens sometimes when I make characters collect items while the inventory viw is disabled. I tried to reproduce the bug several times to get more info now but couldn't :/ Maybe it's gone with the new Unity version? I really don't know, I will try more and get back to you with more info if it happens again :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  37. Sluggy

Sluggy

It definitely sounds like the dirty regions are certainly an issue, since updating when the display gives you issues. Unfortunately, it wasn't just one or two simple changes but a whole systemic overhaul when I updated that. You'll probably have to get a newer version and use a diff to determine what you'll need to change. Indeed, it might be much easier to simply append your changes to a newer version. If you hit any snags while updating, feel free to pick my brain.

38. rYkers

rYkers

Hello Sluggy,
    i am new to Unity and C# coding and have purchased PGI Lite. Consider to upgrade as soon as i dig a little deeper into Unity. Anyway, thanks for this awesome piece of asset.

Edit: Wish you had put in the scene we saw in the video so that we can learn from. Is it possible to get a copy of it?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  39. Sluggy

Sluggy

Welcome to Unity and the amazing world of game programminh! I'm happy to hear you like PGI!

Your not the first to comment on my downgrade from some hand-painted sprites to a few ugly pixel-art ones ;) My original intent was to upgrade PGI's demo scenes with some slick pixel-art but I've been so busy with my game project that I've put a lot of the little stuff like that aside for now. Once we get over the hump with our project I'll have a whole slew of upgrades to push (since we're using PGI, I've been upgrading and tuning it quite a bit).

40. Sluggy

Sluggy

Just a head up for everyone. I'm now working on a hotfix for Unity 5.5. Hopefully I'll have it done in a day or two. I'll post again when it is takeb care of.

However, I suspect the turnaround time with processing updates to assets is going to be a little longer than normal so if you can't wait for the newest release, please feel free to email me at the support address along with your invoice number and I will send you the new files as soon as they are ready.

41. Sluggy

Sluggy

Whew! This patch took a lot more work and time than I expected. So it looks like quite a few things in Unity's UI system have broken since 5.3! Luckily I've found workarounds for all of them. I think I'm closing in on a stable release of PGI 1.7. It should be compatible with Unity 5.2 though Unity 5.5 I'll continue testing and adding a few minor features here and there but for the most part it seems complete. As I said before, if anyone needs access right away and can't wait for the upload process to the asset store, please feel free to contact me using the supplied support email and I will send you a .unitypackage through email.

42. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Sluggy ,

How is the patch, the latest version coming along? Really tempted by this asset when Unity 5.5+ compatible.

43. Sluggy

Sluggy

The patch is more or less done. I've been trying to add some more niceties like a proper demo scene as well as updated docs but work has been hitting hard all month so I haven't had time to do much of that.

So far I've just been replying to email requests for the patched version but it will be slightly outdated in docs and the demo scene is very barebones.

44. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Sluggy ,

Ah darn it - going to place my faith in you and purchase anyway. What draws me to this asset is it is non-prescriptive and it could fit nicely with all the work I've done on my own RPG database, items etc. Also like the 3d models in the slots in inventory etc.

45. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Sluggy ,

Have purchased. How do I go about getting latest patch/files?

46. Sluggy

Sluggy

Just shoot me an email with your order confirmation code and I'll send you back the patched .unitypackage :)

47. Duffer123

Duffer123

Sorry. Being a bit dim took me a while to find your email contact on the asset store. Have now sent younan email with my invoice details.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  48. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Sluggy ,

I've done my items ingame as prefabs. Just to be clear, what scripts/components do they need near the top? of each GO or prefab?

49. Sluggy

Sluggy

Gah! Sorry for the delay. The forum usually sends me an alert email when someone posts, but not this time for some reason.

Anyway, all you need is a PGISlotItem attached to the root of your item prefab and it will be ready to go. There are several other extensions for stuff like item filtering and whatnot, but they are optional extras.

50. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Sluggy ,

Thanks. Hope your next update is coming along well? I've also purchased the Dialogue System for Unity in the recent wishlist sale and hoping that TonyLi might consider an integration of your two assets when your next update is out...