Search Unity

[Released] Polysquat MicroTextures Vol. 1

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Polysquat_Studios, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Polysquat_Studios

Polysquat_Studios

UnityCoverImage.png

Polysquat MicroTextures Vol. 1 is a collection of 16,384 unique seamless patterns all contained within one 2K texture and a single shader. Features Color Swap, Color Blend, and PBR Support. Add a unique spin to any model. Perfect for that retro look and fits into a small amount of memory.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/246063

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

1. The link is broken.
    2. Please provide some real use-case examples on actual meshes! I want to see how "retro" it really looks, because I expect them to just look awful on any mesh due to tremendous aliasing/flickering and no conceivable pattern and extreme contrast between pixels.
    These are simply random noise pixel patterns! "Retro" was NEVER about random noise textures!! :(
    The texture in the center on the sphere is the only one in all of the asset's images gives off at least a HINT of being a usable texture because it has a distinguishable pattern on it. All the others are just awful noise to the point that I feel offended by Unity allowing that kind of asset on the store, sorry.

Even for retro-prototyping you can get useful FREE (disregarding license restrictions) textures on the store or OpenGameArt for instance. This is what retro textures (Quake-style) look like and they should be same or even half the size of your textures:

More examples here: https://www.quaddicted.com/files/wads/

3. Polysquat_Studios

Polysquat_Studios

ExampleLayer.png

It is a lot more than just a set of random noise patterns. Here is an example of one layer of the texture in this asset. I have 16 Layers of 1024 64x64 seamless 4 color textures compressed down into a single 2048x2048 texture. In total there are 16,384 of these patterns compressed into this single texture. I should add some examples with more detailed meshes.