Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Polaris V2 - Ultimate Low Poly Terrain Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tran-Ngoc-Tam, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Glad to hear that.
    Which lightmapper did you use, so I can recommend others later?

2. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

3. dotfortun3

dotfortun3

I am using Bakery. It's really good. It doesn't do realtime bakes, but it has a great GPU lightmapper with a ton of features. Basically, I put the terrain pieces in what they call a lightmap group and that fixed the issues perfectly!

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/level-design/bakery-gpu-lightmapper-122218

Thank you again!

Tran-Ngoc-Tam likes this.
  4. Bonzotaz1

Bonzotaz1

Hey, i am interested in buying this to use in a low poly hardcore survival game, how big can worlds be?

5. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi Bonzotaz1,
    It's depend on how you manage your level.
    - Each terrain object works best with the size <= 2km
    - Terrain can be tiled for larger environment, seam stitched up
    - For static world, it works best with the size <= 10km, with a few grass decoration (use 3rd parties tools for denser grass)
    - For dynamic world (tile pooling, generate as player move), it will required some custom scripting to do that, there is no built-in system available, but still possible
    Cheers!

6. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

A new demo scene:
    - Polaris V2 for terrain.
    - Poseidon for water.
    - Aura 2 for volumetric lighting.

Magnitude9 and digiross like this.
  7. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Some short video for quick information.
    Do you like this video format?

8. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

9. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

10. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

SPECIAL OFFER:
    For the rest of October, get 20% off your first purchase on the Unity Asset Store by purchase Polaris V2 with the code "20FIRSTNOW".
    UAS_FirstPurchase_20_Percent.png

11. noobynobody

noobynobody

Lambert vs. Blinn Phong vs. PBR -- which one is most performant?

Could I use a shader other than the ones provided?

I see that under Geometry & Texture Painter -> Custom it can "Paint color onto each triangle of the terrain mesh". Does this work for splats? Because nothing's happening when I try to paint it.

Is there no flatten feature yet for object placement? I don't know if this is possible, but it would be cool if you can make the terrain flatten wherever it intersects with a particular object. For example, I could use a sphere, place half of it into the terrain, press "Flatten Terrain", and it will create a hole in the ground. Of course, it should also work for flattening the terrain when placing a building. I like this idea, because the tool would have multiple uses.

Please add the filters from PolarisV1. I love the look of the terrain shown in the attached image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  12. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi,
    Lambert & BlinnPhong shader family is non-physical based which is better for performance.
    You can use any other shader as you want, make sure to configure it material properties name, under Shading foldout in the Inspector.
    The Triangle Albedo painter only work for albedo map, not splat. I made it just to show how to write a painter, in case some one need to.
    I'm so sorry that flattening is not available at the moment, thanks for your suggestion, I doing research.
    There's a Texture Creator tool which can help you to add height map filter, like Curve, Blur, Terrace, Invert, Warp, etc. Then export a texture as r16 and import it to your terrain. It also have Live Preview, so no guessing work!
    Regards,
    Tam

13. noobynobody

noobynobody

I read the docs but I don't get it. There also isn't a video on it. I think this workflow is much quicker:

14. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi,
    I will compose a short tutorial then.
    Integrate these filter directly into the terrain might be a good idea, it will be available in the next update :D

noobynobody likes this.
  15. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Here's a quick tutorial on how to use Texture Creator to add filter effects for Height map:

noobynobody likes this.
  16. noobynobody

noobynobody

Thanks. It says the Blur filter is expensive. In what way is it expensive?

Also, I love how that mountain looks. Did you use a heightmap or sculpt it yourself? What method did you use to paint it?

Could you add to the asset any amazing heightmaps you find, like how other terrain assets have lots of heightmaps included?

See the images below. The terrains are both 500x500, but the PolarisV2 terrain has a much higher vert count than Unity's terrain. I'm really concerned about performance. Is a filter plus low Mesh Resolution the solution to this? Because I'd still like my terrain to be smooth, as it's much more traverse-able that way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  17. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi noobynobody,
    The Blur filter perform a lot of texture sampling for each fragment/pixel, depend on the radius, to find an average value. It would not run as smooth as other filter, but you only use it in the editor most of the time, so not a big thing to worry about.
    For the terrain, I import a height map texture and use Gradient Lookup shader variant to color it based on height and normal vector. You can find some interesting height map here:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/textures-materials/terrain-tools-sample-asset-pack-145808
    I'm concern about adding height maps to the package, because of copyright reason and myself is not a professional in using height map editor such as World Machine.
    The problem with flat shaded mesh is that it would have triple (x3) number of vertices to split the normal vector. This way it will work on all platform, while using a Geometry Shader only work for DX11.
    To reduce vertex count, you can choose to generate some lower LOD (up to 4) by set the LOD Count number. You may also notice that Unity terrain perform much more draw calls (batches) than Polaris. Draw Calls/Set Pass Calls are more performance hurt than vertex count :)
    Using a Blur filter to smooth out the surface may help a bit, low Mesh Resolution will makes polygons look bigger.
    For player movement, another user has recommend me this package:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/kinematic-character-controller-99131
    Hope it helps,
    Tam

noobynobody likes this.
  18. noobynobody

noobynobody

Could you show me your Gradient Lookup settings for that mountain? Because I can't seem to get that result.

Also, after using Color By Normal in Terrain Group Shading Override, then deciding I wanted to use Color By Height, Color By Height did nothing, even though I removed the Color By Normal Texture on the Material.

How can I reset everything except the geometry? I would like a better option than exporting individual terrains as I have 16 terrains...

If I want to paint Albedo, do I use GradientLookup or VertexColor?

Finally, see attached images -- how come the green is being painted on slopes less than 45 degrees? I feel the Texture Stamper doesn't work when there are multiple terrains.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  19. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi,
    Here's my setting for the mountain, note that terrain Height will affect the result.
    Capture1.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    There is another important property which determine the factor to blend between Color By Height and Color By Normal, based on vertex height: Color Blend Curve, you should override it too.
    You can Reset (or do other utility tasks) for each settings group, by using its context menu:
    Untitled.png
    You can paint Albedo with Gradient Lookup shader family.
    There are many factor that affect texture stamping, such as current texture color (from the last stamp action), terrain scale (make sure it is (1,1,1)), etc. Can you give me more clues, because it works fine on my machine!
    Regards,
    Tam

Magnitude9 and noobynobody like this.
  20. noobynobody

noobynobody

Resetting the Shading removes the Material. Do I delete the unused Materials and somehow generate new ones? How would I generate new materials?

For texture stamping, it could be the color from last stamp action, but why doesn't the stamp just paint over it? Because like I showed you, the Blend Slope is not working.

Also, what's the fastest way to backup the Geometry, because I spent so much time on it.

21. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

The material should be somewhere in your project with the terrain id appended to its name.
    Or your can assign a new material, then select Shading>CONTEXT>Set Shader to bring up the Wizard to properly configure the material.
    Basically, Texture Stamper only paint on the pixels that satisfy all criterias, and leave others intact, you may want to erase the old stamp result first.
    There are 2 to backup geomety:
    - Use the Backup tool
    - Export the height map to raw file or texture, I like this option most.
    Regards,
    Tam

noobynobody likes this.
  22. noobynobody

noobynobody

Thanks for the answers.
    I have 16 terrains. I'd like to export the whole heightmap. But from the docs it seems I can only export one terrain at a time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  23. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

I see the problem here.
    A version control like Git may help I think.
    Currently it can export one tile at a time, adding Data Export/Import for Group Tool have been added to my personal road map. Hope it will be available soon.

noobynobody likes this.
  24. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Another example of using Backup tool to backup multiple terrain (everything, geometry, color, textures, foliage, etc.). Note that it will store data in a compressed format, outside of Assets folder.

noobynobody likes this.
  25. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Version 2.4 now available.
    V2.4.1
    NEW FEATURES

- Adding support for Universal Render Pipeline.
    - Adding Extension System for extent Polaris functionalities using third parties assets.
    - Adding Height Map Filter component, apply blur and step effect on height map sampling.
    - New terrain callbacks: PreProcessHeightMap and PostProcessHeightMap
    IMPROVEMENTS
    - Shading settings GUI improvements.
    FIXES
    - Reset Shading setting doesn't flush out terrain material anymore.

===
    V2.4.0
    NEW FEATURES

- Geometry & Texture Painters Live Preview: now you can see preview of painter effect on terrain surface.
    - New set of Geometry Painter: including Terrace, Remap and Noise painter.
    - New set of Terrain Shader: Lambert, BlinnPhong and PBR Vertex Color.
    - Support for Amplify Shader Editor: now you can visually edit terrain shader to fit your special needs using ASE. Support for both Builtin RP and LWRP.
    - Terrain Wizard: Adding new option to select number of splats and normal maps when using Splats texturing model.
    - Terrain Wizard: Support for Vertex Color texturing model.
    - Interactive Grass: Now support for both Builtin RP and LWRP with better interaction.
    - Wind Zone: a new component which allow you to control global wind effect on grass.
    IMPROVEMENTS
    - Adding new noise type for noise generator, including Billow and Value noise.
    - Terrain & Foliage shader is completely remade for both Builtin RP and LWRP, using Amplify Shader Editor.
    - Terrain Converter: now pick an appropriate terrain shader depend on number of terrain layers. (4 or 8 layers)
    - Editor GUI: Display terrain shader's name under Material slot in the Inspector.
    - Re-organize shader family and shader files.
    - Improve tree and grass painting performance.
    FIXES
    - Terrain Wizard will force using PBR lighting model when using LWRP.
    DEPRECATED
    - Drop support for Unity Shader Graph, most shader now use Amplify Shader Editor.
    UAS_Cover_1950x1300.png

26. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Here's the filters you request. It also work seamlessly with geometry tools. Available in V2.4.1.

noobynobody likes this.
  27. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

New in V2.4.2
    V2.4.2
    IMPROVEMENTS
    - Texture Importer/Exporter: adding import/export visibility map.
    - Faster grass preview on painting.
    - Group Tool: Adding bulk data import, export.
    - Group Tool: Adding some context menus.
    - Group Tool: Adding more overridable properties for Foliage settings.
    - Geometry Stamper: Adding ability to stamp to visibility channel, use Falloff curve to blend with source geometry.
    - Stamper Tools: Adding Snap To Terrain and Snap To Level Bounds action.
    CHANGES
    - LWRP and URP support now provided in separated packages. Install them using the Extension Window.

28. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Bulk data export/import has been adding to Group Tool in v2.4.2. You can try it now :)

noobynobody likes this.
  29. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

V2.4.x Release Log

30. ppounder

ppounder

Hi there,

Why does the tool automatically create my terrain in black. I checked the TerrainMaterial and it defaults to black. This makes it really hard to shape the terrain without having to paint it first. We could do with a real simple beginners walk through, especially for v2.4 +

(apologies I'm quite new to Unity so it may be a really simple setting)

I have changed the shading mode too.

Regards
    Paul

31. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi Paul,
    Since Polaris V2 aim to support as much shading styles as possible, it have set Albedo and Splat Control maps to transparent (0,0,0,0), which appears black, so they can blend nicely in different scenarios.
    To have your terrain automatically shaded without painting, you can use Gradient Lookup shading mode, which will pick color based on height and normal vector. After shaping the terrain, switch to other shading mode and start painting.
    I'm very sorry if the workflow confused you, I will publish a quick tutorial on this stuff soon.
    Regards,
    Tam

32. RamonDevs

RamonDevs

Quick question - Can this asset be used to build terrains DURING RUNTIME using a random generator's data? I want to give it data from my random generator and then wait for it to be generated and use it as a map in my game. This is basically my "SHOULD I PURCHASE" question. If I'm able to manipulate and create a terrain in-game, I'm buying.

33. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi RamonDevs,
    Yes you can do that. Terrain maps (height map, splat control maps, etc) are exposed both in asset and in scripts for you to refer and manipulate.
    You also get full C# script to inspect to see what's going on.
    Despite that there is no detail documentation on scripting yet, but I'm always ready to help with that. I have worked with user for custom scripting before.
    Regards,
    Tam

RamonDevs likes this.
  34. noobynobody

noobynobody

River Auto Material has a spline tool that allows for easy creation of rivers. It could also be used for road meshes, and can mold the terrain to stay flush with the mesh, so there are no gaps. Any plans to make something like this, since assets like EasyRoad3d don't work with Griffin? However, I think it'd be pretty difficult to make sure there's no gap between the road mesh and Griffin terrain due to the terrain being all triangles. You'd have to increase the Mesh Resolution by a lot, or maybe it could work with heightmap filters.

35. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi noobynobody,
    Currently I don't have any plan on extending Spline Tools yet, if there's any, I will let you know.
    For mesh resolution, here's a quick tip for you. You can increase mesh sub division in particular region of the terrain by using the Subdiv painter. Ramp Maker also have a Mesh Resolution property to do that. Or you can write directly to G channel of the height map if you use custom script.
    I've never use EasyRoad3d before, but I think there's a work around:
    - Creating a Unity terrain similar to your Polaris terrain using data exporter.
    - Use EasyRoad3d to create the road mesh.
    - Copy the road mesh/game object to your Polaris terrain.
    - Use the Spline Tools/Ramp Maker to conform terrain geometry to the road.
    - Use Paint Tools for further polishing.
    - Clean up.
    Regards,
    Tam

36. RamonDevs

RamonDevs

All right, excellent. I'll purchase and take your word for it then. Thank you for the quick response. My idea is allowing in-game level saving and creation, if I can save those heightmaps and other maps then that should be a breeze.

37. RamonDevs

RamonDevs

Purchased, but the link to the LWRP package is broken within Extensions inside Unity. I emailed you, but just in case (or maybe other people need it), would you post the correct link here?

38. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi everyone,
    I've uploaded 2 packages for LWRP / URP Support and they are being reviewed by the Asset Store team, hopefully they will available in the next few days.
    In the meantime, please download the packages in the attachment, then:
    - Open the Package Manager and install Lightweight/Universal RP. Set your pipeline to LWRP/URP.
    - Import the downloaded package into your project.
    - Go to Window>Griffin>Tools>Extensions
    - Select Polaris V2 - Lightweight/Universal Render Pipeline Support entry.
    - Click Install.
    - Select the terrain, then Shading>CONTEXT>Set Shader, this will bring up the Terrain Wizard, select your Texturing Model and hit OK.
    Done.

Note that other art assets should be update manually.

- LWRP Support requires Unity 2019.1+
    - URP Support requires Unity 2019.3+

Regards,
    Tam

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  39. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

40. brisingre

brisingre

Is it possible to work on a spherical world with Polaris?

41. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi brisingre,
    Unfortunately it only work with height field terrain, spherical world is not supported.
    Regards,
    Tam

42. brisingre

brisingre

That's a shame for my current project, but I'll keep Polaris in mind for the future. Thank you for your quick response.

43. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi everyone,
    Currently we have an issue with Texture Stamper live preview, which cause strange behavior in the scene view (not the final stamp result.
    If you are affected by the bug, please download the patch in the attachment and import it into your project (overwrite files), then it will be fixed.
    Note that there will be no official update on the store until Black Friday ends.
    Regards,
    Tam

44. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Hi !
    When i try to import from map magic (by draggint the terrain into the Unity Terrain field) i get this.
    Any idea why ?

upload_2019-12-1_20-15-42.png

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentException: Asset path cannot be null or empty.
    2. Parameter name: assetPath
    3. UnityEditor.PackageManager.PackageInfo.FindForAssetPath (System.String assetPath) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/PackageManager/Editor/Managed/PackageInfo.cs:149)
    4. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase+<FindInFolders>c__Iterator1`1[T].MoveNext () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetDatabase/AssetDatabaseSearching.cs:69)
    5. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase+<FindAllAssets>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetDatabase/AssetDatabaseSearching.cs:37)
    6. System.Linq.Enumerable+SelectEnumerableIterator`2[TSource,TResult].ToArray () (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
    7. System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source) (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
    8. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.FindAssets (UnityEditor.SearchFilter searchFilter) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetDatabase/AssetDatabaseSearching.cs:31)
    9. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.FindAssets (System.String filter, System.String[] searchInFolders) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetDatabase/AssetDatabaseSearching.cs:26)
    10. Pinwheel.Griffin.DataTool.GUnityTerrainDataImporterWindow.DoBulkImport () (at Assets/Griffin - PolarisV2/Scripts/DataTool/Editor/GUnityTerrainDataImporterWindow.cs:367)
    11. Pinwheel.Griffin.DataTool.GUnityTerrainDataImporterWindow.Import () (at Assets/Griffin - PolarisV2/Scripts/DataTool/Editor/GUnityTerrainDataImporterWindow.cs:331)
    12. Pinwheel.Griffin.DataTool.GUnityTerrainDataImporterWindow.<DrawImportGUI>b__89_0 () (at Assets/Griffin - PolarisV2/Scripts/DataTool/Editor/GUnityTerrainDataImporterWindow.cs:285)
    13. Pinwheel.Griffin.GEditorCommon.Foldout (System.String label, System.Boolean defaultExpanded, System.String id, System.Action innerGUI, UnityEditor.GenericMenu context) (at Assets/Griffin - PolarisV2/Scripts/Core/Editor/GEditorCommon.cs:1798)
    14. Pinwheel.Griffin.DataTool.GUnityTerrainDataImporterWindow.DrawImportGUI () (at Assets/Griffin - PolarisV2/Scripts/DataTool/Editor/GUnityTerrainDataImporterWindow.cs:125)
    15. Pinwheel.Griffin.DataTool.GUnityTerrainDataImporterWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Griffin - PolarisV2/Scripts/DataTool/Editor/GUnityTerrainDataImporterWindow.cs:96)
    16. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    17. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    18. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    19. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    20. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:359)
    21. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:353)
    22. UnityEditor.HostView.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:138)
    23. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:298)
    24. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:483)
    25. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:466)
    26. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:447)
    27. UnityEngine.UIElements.MouseCaptureDispatchingStrategy.DispatchEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Events/MouseCaptureDispatchingStrategy.cs:93)
    28. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:280)
    29. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.Dispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:156)
    30. UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel.SendEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase e, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:190)
    31. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:255)
    32. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:78)
    33. UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

45. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi DiscoFever,
    There's a small typo mistake in the script which lead to this inconvenient.
    Please download the patch in the attachment and import it into your project, then it should work as expected.
    Thanks for your feedback,
    Tam

Attached Files:

46. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Thanks i will try !

47. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Two other issues (sorry to annoy):

1. I can't get 'sharp' edge when using texture stamper :

upload_2019-12-2_12-32-44.png

And 2. For some reason i can't add my own splats the field is greyed out :

upload_2019-12-2_12-33-33.png

Thanks for the help !

48. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi DiscoFever,
    1. It's (nearly) impossible to achieve sharp edges with a texture since the resolution will never be enough for a terrain. There are some option to get around this:
    - Use the Gradient Lookup shader variants, this will pick color using gradients and curves based on vertex height and normal vector.
    - Paint/Stamp color on your albedo map, then select the terrain, set the Geometry>Polygon Processor to Albedo To Vertex Color (Sharp), and re-generate your geometry using the Geometry context menu. This will pick color from the albedo map and put it to vertex color channel upon generation. You will also need to use Vertex Color shader variants.
    To switch between shader variants, select the terrain, then Shading>CONTEXT>Set Shader.

2. To add you own splat, right click on the Project window, Select Create>Griffin>Splat Prototype Group. Select the newly created asset and drop you splats there. Finally, assign the asset to your terrain Shading>Splats slot.

Hope it helps,
    Tam

DiscoFever likes this.
  49. ppounder

ppounder

Hi there,

Me again :)

I have a couple of questions. Firstly, how do I go about removing the black marks you get when you smooth neighbouring terrain. I've smoothed, and I've also tried to subdivide (subtract), but I can't remove the marks. (See Image1.png in uploaded files, 1st image)

Secondly, I can't seem to preview the Terrain Stamper properly (see Image2.png, 2nd image). I should see sand between 0 and 20, and grass above. When I apply the stamper I can see it. I just can't preview it.

Regards
    Paul

Image1.png Image2.png

50. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi ppounder,
    - I've been reported that smooth operation doesn't work correctly between terrain tiles, I will try to fix it in future updates. At the mean time, you can try stamp tool to hide these seam. Sorry for this inconvenient.
    - The bug with Texture Stamper live preview has been fixed, as I have mentioned here, please download the patch and import it into your project.
    Regards,
    Tam

unityunity