Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Polaris V2 - Ultimate Low Poly Terrain Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tran-Ngoc-Tam, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi @PyroStudios
    Currently it does not have biomes features yet, and I haven't test it with Vegetation Studio.
    As far as I know, Vegetation Studio can work with regular mesh, so there is a great chance they can work together.
    I have provided a evaluation package here, you can use it to explore what is possible.
    Cheer!

2. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I actually purchased Polaris v2 right after I made my post (haha) I'm going to test it with Vegetation Studio Pro and let you know how it goes. I still wanted the asset regardless of VS compatibility.

Tran-Ngoc-Tam likes this.
  3. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Thanks for purchasing, VS compatibility would be a great feature.
    If you have any issue, please use the Help tool right in the editor, or send me an email via support@pinwheel.studio for faster respond.

4. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi, I have published a new tutorial for Polaris V2, check it out:

5. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

New tutorial is available

6. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

I would like to report a bug. While painting, I cannot use alt + click to rotate the camera in the scene view. This makes it hard to use with a trackpad or stylus.

7. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi Jay,
    Thanks for your report. The bug will be fix soon.

8. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

New tutorial is available:

9. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi Jay,
    I've submitted a new version with the fix, it will be available on the store soon.
    Cheer!

hunter-baun likes this.
  10. noobynobody

noobynobody

Hello, the billboards for my trees are very ugly. Please see the attached image.

Attached Files:

11. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Looks like we need some configuration under Material section, I will reach you back for it soon, stay tune :)

12. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Here is my solution, under Materials section, change your Source Texture to "_MainTexture" instead of "_MainTex", since the color palette of the prefab material is encoded as _MainTexture

Attached Files:

13. noobynobody

noobynobody

Thanks, almost there...why does mine look like this?

Attached Files:

14. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Looks like the atlas shader doesn't work correctly with Alpha Test material. Please download this shader file and replace the existing one in your Assets/Griffin - Polaris V2/Shaders/Internal/BillboardCreatorAtlas.shader. I will publish an official fix later.

Attached Files:

noobynobody likes this.
  15. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Very interested in this. Ideally, I'd want to be able to procedurally create levels at runtime. And added bonus to look into for you, if you have nothnig better to do (;)), is have the terrain deformable at runtime where points can be lowered/raised.

16. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi,
    Currently it can hybrid-procedurally generate a level, which mean you have to write some script to perform some action with Stamp and Spline tool. I'm working on a new feature to let you fully generate a level using rules, it will come soon.
    The terrain geometry can be modify at runtime, including lower/raise/smooth, set height, subdiv, paint color, splat, etc. I have include a demo scene with runtime painting, you can download the evaluation package to explore: Polaris V2 Evaluation

17. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

#Devlog
    Texture Tool, a new module for terrain textures authoring, create height map, stamper, normal map, flow map and other kind textures with ease.
    ===
    Get Polaris V2

noobynobody likes this.
  18. luidinkim

luidinkim

Hi, Today I buy this asset.

I created a terrain with a splat in the order of the assets, but the splat texture is not painted.

Exactly once, it will be painted twice, but the next coloring will disappear.

How can I solve this?

19. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi Kim,

I don’t really understand your question but please do the following to see it work:

• Select the terrain material, choose another shader which support for splats, it located under Griffin/Terrain/ shader group, something like 4Splats, 8Splats, etc.
    • Select the terrain, click on the context button of Shading group (with a stack icon), select Refresh.
    • Retry painting.
    Hope it helps,

Tam

hunter-baun likes this.
  20. happyrobotstudio

happyrobotstudio

Hi,

Im having trouble with the Geometry and Texture paint tool, all splats appear grey,

I have the prototype group set, and with 4 textures,

Yet the Geometry and Texture painter paints only grey

I think I am following all steps correctly,

Version 2019.2.1f1 with Standard Render Pipeline

Attached Files:

21. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Which color space do you use, since we have discovered an issue with Linear space and still working on fixing it.
    Does the demo scene render correctly when you first open it? Or is it just gray?

22. happyrobotstudio

happyrobotstudio

Yes indeed linear space,

It renders well to begin with, and even applying the rocks splat to the existing river scene works .. however adding the grass or any other splat produces grey or nothing

So rendering looks fine, just the application using the tool, almost like 0 opacity

Starting with a fresh terrain does not even allow rocks :(

I will try switching from linear

23. happyrobotstudio

happyrobotstudio

Super excited to use the tool, hope I can work out splats ..

Also, if I wanted to make a 50km total terrain, using 10000x10000 width terrains (so 5 terrains total) what would I set the other settings so to?

Perhaps my approach is not correct, but I would like a larger total area, even if the detail is not so high

Right now just scaling the width and length produces strange results with foliage brush

Ok thanks!

24. happyrobotstudio

happyrobotstudio

Can a potential 'large example map' be prepared ?

To show the best mesh geometry settings for achieving 50km

:)

25. happyrobotstudio

happyrobotstudio

Ok, using Gamma colour space makes the grass work

Thanks for that

26. happyrobotstudio

happyrobotstudio

Hi I can't seem to use the height tool to adjust geometry across neighbours

Any tool passed over the boundary will produce a non-manifold mesh

Soo .. anything above one tile is impossible =P

Any advice?

27. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Well that such an ambitious environment, interesting! :D
    I would recommend these things, hope they work well in your case, assume that 50km terrain is all play-able area.
    - Reduce mesh resolution to 5 to 7, larger value spend more memory and time to process (sometime re-generate multiple terrains at once may cause my computer to hang due to lack of memory). The generation is fastest when Mesh Base Resolution is equal to Mesh Resolution, since it doesn't have to perform texture lookup, sub-divide and edge matching.
    - Split your terrains into multiple group (Group ID), which mean you only work with some of them at a time, reduce iteration time & edge matching time.
    - Split your environment into multiple scene, and load/unload them async at runtime, this will require some additional scripting. It also helps reducing cluster in edit mode.
    - Sometime adjacent edge doesn't match up due to execution order, you can use Sub-Division painter to match them manually. Sorry for the inconvenient. Or you can use Group Tool, but beware of the memory-thing mentioned above.
    - I'm still trying to fix the issue with Linear color space :)
    - Higher mesh resolution take more disk space, since it save to asset (better than save to the scene)
    Do you have any image of the foliage brush issue? You can contact me via support@pinwheel.studio for faster respond.
    I'm always ready to help. :D

28. dotfortun3

dotfortun3

Hey, great tool. Really enjoying it.

I am having an issue with lightmap generation on the terrain pieces, and I am not sure if it is something that can be resolved by way of generating lightmap UVs differently with the tool or not. Basically I am getting lighting seams between the different meshes when generating a lightmap with the PLM using the LWRP.

I attached a photo of the issue.

I am not sure if this is an issue with the lightmapper, or the way the meshes are generated, but I have been beating my head off the wall so I figured I would post something here and see if you had any insight!

Thank you!

Attached Files:

29. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi dotfortun3,
    Thanks for letting me know about the issue.
    I don't have much experience with light mapping, so I can't tell what exactly happening here.
    For mesh generation, the tool only generate UV0 channel, leave the rest (UV1, UV2, etc) as default. I'm thinking about a theory that triangles of the mesh would NOT have the same size, maybe it affect light map UV generation? You can try to unify triangle size by setting Mesh Base Resolution equal to Mesh Resolution and re-bake.
    Please let me know if it work or not.
    Many thanks!

30. dotfortun3

dotfortun3

Thanks for replying so fast! I set Mesh Base Resolution and Mesh Resolution to 8 and did a rebake, but the issue is still there. Is there anyway to force Unity to regenerate the UVs for these meshes? Usually, I'd just reimport the meshes, but since it is an asset file it doesn't let me adjust the mesh import settings.

However, I did find in the code where the Mesh gets updated and the UVs are set, so I tried setting the lightmap UV channel to the same as the UV you generate, but it still looks misaligned. My guess is that when it gets imported Unity is generating the Lightmap UV... Does that make sense?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  31. noobynobody

noobynobody

Is it possible to texture individual faces of the mesh? I don't want to blend between textures so it could match the look shown in the screenshot.
    Also, is it possible to create game objects like the one in the screenshot, so I could move them around and arrange them the way I want?

Attached Files:

32. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi dotfortun3,
    I will take a look at the generation process to see if I can fix it, thanks for the suggestion.
    Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update.
    Tam

33. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi noobynobody,
    - It is possible to paint color to individual triangle of the mesh, using custom painter. I've write a sample call Triangle Albedo painter. In the Texture Painter inspector, select Custom, then Triangle Albedo. This painter paint color onto Albedo map, so for it to look sharp, the albedo map have to be large, and it should use Diffuse or Standard shader. If you want the triangle color to be perfectly sharp, then you have to write a painter that write to Vertex Color channel of the mesh, and use LambertVertexColor shader. See the Griffin/Script/PaintTool/GTriangleAlbedoPainter.cs to know how to write it. Email me at customer@pinwheel.studio if you need help.
    - I don't really understand what you want. I guess that you want to export a mesh from you terrain and create prefab. If so, you can take a look at this tool, also by me: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/mesh-to-file-obj-fbx-ascii-135071

34. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Can you please share some screenshot of your settings so I can reproduce the issue:
    - Terrain Geometry settings
    - Lightmapper (Lighting window)
    - Overall look of the terrain in the scene view
    Thanks in advanced.

35. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi dotfortun3,
    I've tried baking lightmap on my computer, it look ok without seam mismatch. Here is my settings, note that all lights are disable after baking. lm0.png
    I don't think the issue caused by LightmapUV, because automatically generate a UV set for each mesh which cover the whole texture, as you can see here:
    lm1.png
    And here is my Geometry settings
    lm2.PNG

Am I missing something?

36. dotfortun3

dotfortun3

Hey there! Sorry for taking so long, this week has been hectic! I have the screenshots you asked for. Let me know if you have any thoughts. I did note, I am on 2019.2.0f1, using LWRP, not HDRP. I may try a different version of Unity to see if it resolves the issues, I haven't been able to make headway with anything else so far. The GPU lightmapper does not work for me at all in this version.

I should note, the seams are not noticeable from far away, they show up when close to the area. I included a close up under the trees in the terrain for reference.

I have tried all sorts of different lighting settings, I am using low quality ones right now so the bake is faster.

I really appreciate you helping me with all this!

Attached Files:

37. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi happyrobotstudio,
    The new version 2.2.1 is live on the store with a fix for Linear color space, you can upgrade your project now.
    Cheers!

38. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

V2.2.1 is live, take a look at the changelog!

39. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi dotfortun3,
    Thanks for the information you provided, I will take a further look and reach back to you soon.
    Tam

40. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi everyone,
    I've just published a new product for low poly water creation, which support Built-in and LWRP.
    Take a look on the Asset Store.
    Join the forum.
    pbr-lighting.png

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  41. shubhank008

shubhank008

Does it work with MapMagic world generator ? And any upcoming sales ?

42. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi shubhank008,
    Yes, you can generate a terrain using MapMagic (or Gaia, TerrainComposer), then use the Terrain Converter come along with Polaris to convert it to low poly.
    I don't self host a sale event, only participate in Unity official sales. I will let you know if there is any plan.
    Cheers,
    Tam

43. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi dotfortun3,
    I want to ask that how do you spawn the trees into the scene, using Foliage Painter or just drop a prefab?
    Thanks!

44. shubhank008

shubhank008

1. There will be for sure around Black Friday but I am so tempest to get this right now. I might just end up getting it before sale, can I use evaluation package to create all of my terrain/world and then buy the pack when about to export the build ? Will buying the package and importing it via asset store overwrite or cause any damage to the terrain created from evaluation package ?
    2. Another thing, from what I am seeing, v2 is more like a standalone terrain editor on its own ? So I can just create everything in v2 rather than using multiple terrain (MM/Gaia, etc.) assets ?
    3. I am going for a low poly/stylized/cartoony feel and so far not really happy with the terrains formed by gaia/MM (well I am a amateur in terrain designing so I dont blame the assets) yet the polaris video seemed so good and quick to make terrain. Can I use textures, GO, etc. from packs like Synty Studios ?

PS: I think you should do a few more of those quick level design videos, specially using some popular stylized/low poly asset creator packs like synty, meshtint, polyworld, etc.

45. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi shubhank008,
    1. I hope it will be selected to be featured for Black Friday. Currently there is no automated process to unlock the evaluation package for building. The migration process must be done manually when import the full package, I'm ready to help you to do that correctly. However, I only update the evaluation package on major release (e.g: v2.x.0). By using it, you may not get minor updates and bug fixes, but it's not a big problem.
    2. Yes it is a complete solution for low poly terrain editing, with everything you need to design a level, including geometry generator, terrain tools, foliage rendering system, etc. It can convert terrain created from MM, Gaia to take advantaged of them, but optional.
    3. Yes it compatible with most of the low poly asset found on the store.
    4. Thanks for the suggestion, I will take some time to do that.

46. dotfortun3

dotfortun3

Hey again,
    I was wondering if you had a moment to look further into the issue I was running into with the terrain UVs. Would it be helpful if I sent a copy of the project with the terrain and lightmaps?

47. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi dotfortun3,
    It would be great if I can have a copy of your project, just the related stuff.
    Please be sure to extract it as a ZIP/RAR file, then open it in another project to see the issue and lighting settings are still there.
    Thanks in advanced,
    Tam

48. dotfortun3

dotfortun3

I am just dropping prefabs for now. I was thinking about looking into foliage painter, although I have not looked enough into it yet. However, the seams appear on shadows not generated by the trees, it just makes it easier to see.

Would you like me to send an export of the height map I am using?

49. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Yes, just export everything you think related. Thanks!

50. dotfortun3

dotfortun3

I was able to resolve the issue by using a 3rd party lightmapper, which leads me to believe it has something to do with the way Unity handles automatically unwrapping lightmap UVs.

Thanks for looking into this, but I am not sure it is something you can resolve unless you handle generating the lightmap UVs for the mesh, and even then, I am not sure if Unity would handle it correctly.

Either way, I am happy because I have no more seams! :)

upload_2019-9-22_14-19-12.png

Thanks again!