Search Unity

[RELEASED] Polaris V2 - Ultimate Low Poly Terrain Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tran-Ngoc-Tam, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Polaris V2 is available, get the tool here.
    It will be at $75, user of the V1 can upgrade to V2 for $25
    ---
    Note that V1 and V2 are different systems serve for different purposes and scales. V1 still in active development and still receive support.
    Version Comparison
    ---

For full description, please take a look at the User Guide, available online HERE.
    Screenshot-2019-7-4-12-56-0.png

Polaris V2 is a user friendly low poly terrain engine dedicated to help you create gorgeous, large scale stylized, flat shaded landscapes, that can run well on both Mobile and Desktop applications, save you a lot of time and effort!

Polaris V2 is the first low poly terrain engine to use GPU technologies for generation, which enable multi-terrains editing and real-time live preview.

Polaris V2 let you work with traditional sculpting method or the modern procedural workflow, or somewhere in between.

FEATURES
    Super easy to learn: No more guessing works thank to Live Preview, in depth document, or even ask and answer right in the editor in less than a second!
    GPU Accelerated: perform heavy tasks on GPU side which consume less memory and provide smoother experience, enable multi-terrains editing and real-time live preview!
    Modern & easy to use toolbox: familiar terrain tools you can easily find in other engines like Painters (more than 12 types of them, with API for runtime painting), Spline (road, ramp, river, etc.), Stampers (procedural sculpting, texturing & spawning), Billboard editor (create billboard assets), Texture creator (texture authoring), and some unique tool like Group tool & Backup tool. More coming!
    Advanced geometry generation: Speed up your scene with dynamic mesh wireframing, multiple levels of detail (up to 4 levels), Unity Navigation System compatible; more interesting geometry with cross-tiles matching, XZ plane displacement and terrain holes.
    Massive foliage rendering: Dense forest rendered within a blink of the eyes, with no Game Object overhead, support for GPU Instancing, billboard rendering & grass wind animation.
    Various shading styles: From Lambert, Blinn Phong to Physical Based; from Gradient Lookup, Color map to Splats; whatever!
    Support for LWRP: easy to upgrade to LWRP with shaders already provided. HDRP coming soon!
    Easy to migrate from other tools: Convert any existing environment created using Gaia, Map Magic, Terrain Composer, etc. to low poly terrain in a few clicks away. Support for various data types, from Unity built-in terrain, RAW files, to other kind of textures, etc.

Polaris V1 and Polaris V2 are different systems serve for different purposes and scales. Data from V1 can be imported to V2.

This package requires Unity 2018.1 or above.

Support for LWRP requires Unity 2019.1 or above.

Screenshots:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    peanutgallery, HXCMAN and Neviah like this.
  2. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

RELEASE NOTE
    (see full log)
    -----------------------

V2.4.2
    IMPROVEMENTS
    - Texture Importer/Exporter: adding import/export visibility map.
    - Faster grass preview on painting.
    - Group Tool: Adding bulk data import, export.
    - Group Tool: Adding some context menus.
    - Group Tool: Adding more overridable properties for Foliage settings.
    - Geometry Stamper: Adding ability to stamp to visibility channel, use Falloff curve to blend with source geometry.
    - Stamper Tools: Adding Snap To Terrain and Snap To Level Bounds action.
    CHANGES
    - LWRP and URP support now provided in separated packages. Install them using the Extension Window.

===

V2.4.1
    NEW FEATURES

- Adding support for Universal Render Pipeline.
    - Adding Extension System for extent Polaris functionalities using third parties assets.
    - Adding Height Map Filter component, apply blur and step effect on height map sampling.
    - New terrain callbacks: PreProcessHeightMap and PostProcessHeightMap
    IMPROVEMENTS
    - Shading settings GUI improvements.
    FIXES
    - Reset Shading setting doesn't flush out terrain material anymore.

===
    V2.4.0
    NEW FEATURES

- Geometry & Texture Painters Live Preview: now you can see preview of painter effect on terrain surface.
    - New set of Geometry Painter: including Terrace, Remap and Noise painter.
    - New set of Terrain Shader: Lambert, BlinnPhong and PBR Vertex Color.
    - Support for Amplify Shader Editor: now you can visually edit terrain shader to fit your special needs using ASE. Support for both Builtin RP and LWRP.
    - Terrain Wizard: Adding new option to select number of splats and normal maps when using Splats texturing model.
    - Terrain Wizard: Support for Vertex Color texturing model.
    - Interactive Grass: Now support for both Builtin RP and LWRP with better interaction.
    - Wind Zone: a new component which allow you to control global wind effect on grass.
    IMPROVEMENTS
    - Adding new noise type for noise generator, including Billow and Value noise.
    - Terrain & Foliage shader is completely remade for both Builtin RP and LWRP, using Amplify Shader Editor.
    - Terrain Converter: now pick an appropriate terrain shader depend on number of terrain layers. (4 or 8 layers)
    - Editor GUI: Display terrain shader's name under Material slot in the Inspector.
    - Re-organize shader family and shader files.
    - Improve tree and grass painting performance.
    FIXES
    - Terrain Wizard will force using PBR lighting model when using LWRP.
    DEPRECATED
    - Drop support for Unity Shader Graph, most shader now use Amplify Shader Editor.

===
    V2.3.2
    NEW FEATURES
    - Interactive Grass (touch bending): Breath life into your scene by making grass react to moving agent. Support for unlimited agent. This feature is still experimental, LWRP not supported yet.
    IMPROVEMENTS
    - Grass Prototype: adding Pivot Offset and Bend Factor properties, support for custom mesh for grass shape.
    - Prototype Group: cache prefab asset path to avoid reference lost when down version the editor.
    - Terrain Wizard: now you can open the wizard in Shading context menu to set terrain shader, by setting Lighting model and Texturing model.
    FIXES
    - Terrain Pinning: now only accept left mouse click.

===
    V2.3.1
    FIXES

- Minor fix for main thread checking.

===
    V2.3.0
    NEW FEATURES

- Object Painters: paint objects as prefab instance onto terrain surface.
    - Spline based Object Spawner/Remover: randomly spawn/remove game object as prefab instance along a path.
    - Object Stamper: stamp game object as prefab instance using mask.
    - Object Helper: Utility component for managing spawned game objects.
    - Prefab Prototype Group: a new data container for ease of managing prefab variation.

IMPROVEMENTS
    - Foliage Filters System: now become Spawn Filters System, which will work with both Foliage Painters and Object Painters.
    - Painters Tools: tree prototype/grass prototype/object selector now support multi-selection mode, with different probability for each prototypes.
    - Texture Creator: support multi-selection mode for Foliage Distribution Map Generator.
    - Foliage/Object snapping: now you can choose to snap them to terrain surface, or world objects with collider (filtered by layer mask).
    - Geometry background generation: geometry mesh now generated in background thread in some case to avoid hanging the editor.

FIXES
    - Rename geometry root object from "_Geometry" to "~Geometry".
    - Terrain Pinning: newly pinned terrain will copy main data (dimension, material properties, etc.) from source one.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  3. anhtuanatc

anhtuanatc

I want it, when will it be available?

4. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Early August, I will update the thread when it is accepted!

Neviah likes this.
  5. somosky

somosky

This looks really cool.

What is the difference between the lite version and the full version?

I noticed each picture is of a smaller location. Is it possible to make larger areas?

Tran-Ngoc-Tam likes this.
  6. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

1. The main difference is that Lite version doesn't have Geometry Painter and Environmental Painter, you have to prepare height maps & distribution maps in external programs, then use them in the Inspector with simple built-in component.
    The Full version also multithreaded and have many more cool stuffs. Please see the online User Guide for full description: https://docs.pinwheel.studio/polaris
    2. Yes you can make large area with this tool, depend on the dimensions you set for it, and what kind of shading you use (Flat or Smooth). The example looks small because its proportion is not so correct (sorry, I'm a programmer, not a skilled artist :) )

7. somosky

somosky

I bought the lite Version of this and plan on upgrading to the full version when that comes out. So if I understand you correctly the height maps can be made within the asset in the full version ?

8. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Thank you for purchasing!
    In the full version, you don't need to create the height map to shape the terrain, you can paint directly on the terrain instead (traditional sculpting method). However, the height map slot is still available.
    PS: I'm adding a feature to export height map from terrain geometry after generation, will be available in the very near update. Stay tune!

9. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Jay55 likes this.
  10. matv2

matv2

Im soryy for this question but I have also bought the full version so answer me please :) How can I make a random hightmap for this terrain to use for my game? (I've bought this asset because I thought it'll help me to procedually generate my world ) Can U help me just to generate a heightmap at runtime (using Perlin Noise) and than put it to Heightmap of terrain at runtime too . I would be really thankfull if You help me :(

11. Playtra

Playtra

Hello Polaris,

I bought it today, first of all my compliments for the job, is absolutely amazing, is easy to use and very user friendly.
    But I have a problem, when I try to build the game is giving me this error.
    Assets/Polaris/Scripts/EnvironmentalPainter.cs(960,38): error CS0103: The name `SceneView' does not exist in the current context
    Do you know why?

thanks

12. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Sorry, this package is not dedicated for runtime generation, because some operation is time consuming. I think it's hard to have a polished result when doing it at runtime.
    By the way, I know a Youtube series which can help you with the problem, take a look at this:

13. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Please add these yellow line into the file Assets/Polaris/Scripts/EnvironmentalPainter.cs, I'will push an update soon.

NOTE: Please contact me directly via email (support@pinwheel.studio) for faster support, I haven't check the forum for a while due to a busy week.

14. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

#Dev log:
    I've added a new color painter to let you paint vertex color directly on the terrain, with some features as follow:
    - Texture based brush
    - Define custom brush
    - Custom color picker right in the inspector, with color wheel, swatch, custom palette
    This will be available in v1.2.0 update!

15. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

#Devlog:
    I'm experimenting on a new tool to generate terrain LOD when building the terrain. It works quite well and seamlessly between different LOD. Can't wait to see it live on the next update!

Neviah likes this.
  16. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Version 1.2.0 is now available, get it here.

17. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Version 1.3.0 is coming

18. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Version 1.3.0 is now available, get it HERE.

19. quoc1979

quoc1979

Hi, is it possible to generate multiple terrains tile seamlessly together with this asset?

20. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi, this tool generate multiple tiles of THE SAME TERRAIN GAME OBJECT, to take advantaged of LODs and painting performance, multiple tiles of different terrain game object is not available in this version yet! :)

21. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Version 1.4.0 is coming:

Neviah likes this.
  22. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Version 1.4.0 is available, get it HERE.

23. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Version 1.5.0 is coming with powerful Splat Painter...

24. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

#Devlog: Experimenting on a new extension for Gaia

25. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

#Devlog: Another cool combination between Polaris and Map Magic

26. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

#Devlog: Introducing the new Extension System

27. mindfulmx

mindfulmx

Hello, can I use the basic version with Gaia?

28. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi, the 3rd party integration (Gaia, MapMagic) is only available in Pro version :)

29. mindfulmx

mindfulmx

Ok.. Where can I find a "features comparation" list of versions?, Thanks

30. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

- There are 3 versions of Polaris:

+ Starter: free, lightweight, no painter, play with parameters in the Inspector

+ Basic:lightweight, with simple painters, for small terrain, no LOD, no chunks, limit 65k vertices.

+ Pro: $59, include Basic features, advanced, with painters, for larger terrain, with LOD, no vertices limit. Easy to migrate from Gaia, MapMagic.

mindfulmx likes this.
  31. gautamnaik1994

gautamnaik1994

Are there plans to support light weight render pipeline out of box.
    I am asking this because, when I created a new terrain, I got the pink shader color,
    Also, color based on height is not working.

32. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi, it works best with builtin RP, you've got pink color because the provided shader is not compatible with LWRP.
    Basically, color by height is stored in the Vertex Color channel of the mesh, so you will need a custom shader to utilize this data. For LWRP, it's best to use Shader Graph instead of writing shader code.
    Hope it help :)

33. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

I've setup a simple material and it works perfectly, pretty simple:

34. gautamnaik1994

gautamnaik1994

Thank you very much for this setup, It worked

35. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

You're welcome :)

36. maydragon

maydragon

Hello.

I bought Polaris because I sorely needed its integration with MapMagic. I'm not disappointed, but there is something that is hurting my workflow. MapMagic can work with many "pinned" terrains at the same time, but every time I click "Create Low Poly Terrain With Polaris" Polaris starts converting only the pinned terrain at position 0,0. If you want to convert all the other MapMagic's terrains, you'll have to do one at a time. I did not find a way to convert them all at once in a seamlessly nice low poly terrain. Moreover, their borders do not match as they matched in MapMagic, so I'm obliged to stitch the terrains generated by Polaris manually.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks.

37. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi maydragon,
    Polaris doesn't support for multi-terrains editing naturally, so you have to convert one terrain at a time.
    We're working a new version to overcome this (multi-terrains editing, tiles-matching and many more terrain tools), it will arrive on the store somewhere Mid-May.
    However, MapMagic integration still not get an update this time, maybe the next version, so stay tune :)

38. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

39. NatureSimsVR

NatureSimsVR

Hello,

I just purchased Polaris v. 1.6.1. I didn't even realize there was a V2 of Polaris available when I purchased this--it doesn't say anything about V2 on the original asset page. The 1.6.1 version is shown as "new."

It's a little frustrating to have spent $$ on an outdated asset without knowing it. Is this version going to continue getting updates?

Thanks!

40. NatureSimsVR

NatureSimsVR

Quick follow up. When I do create a large terrain with version 1.6.1 I get an error when I try to save the scene:

Serialized file size of 11.85 GB (12719467804 bytes) exceeds maximum. File name: 'D:/DevelopedReality/TIYBY/HK-Monarchy-Alpha/Assets/Generated_TerrainData_SFKUIELLAE89.asset'. Serialized files over 4.00 GB (4294967295 bytes) cannot be loaded by the player. Some likely ways to reduce this are utilizing asset bundles, re-balancing asset locations, or limiting their serialized size e.g. limiting the maximum texture sizes.
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallGlobalEventHandler()

If I first try to build the terrain, I get a fatal memory error (see image).

Am I doing something wrong here? It doesn't seem like this version can really handle large terrains, which is the only reason I purchased it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  41. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi,
    Actually V1 and V2 are used for slightly different purposes:
    - V1 is used for terrains with small or medium size (best below 2k meters), single terrain workflow.
    - V2 can serve bigger terrains, compact data storage, multi-terrains workflow.
    V2 is just release a couple of days so I haven't update the store information yet, the "NEW" label you saw on the store is handled by Unity, I have no control over it :)
    Please note that V1 is not deprecated and it just received an update a week ago.
    --
    For the error, I think your terrain is quite big and cannot be handled by a single terrain, V2 workflow maybe a better choice. If you are interested in, go grab the V2 while it on release price, and contact me via email support@pinwheel.studio for a V1 refund (attach your invoice number please)
    Hope it help :)

42. NatureSimsVR

NatureSimsVR

Okay, thanks for the help! V2 does sound like a better fit for my purposes. Will email you with my invoice #.

43. a1-programmer

a1-programmer

Hello! Just checking in to see if you plan on adding LWRP support to v1? Thanks!

44. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Yes, V1 still in active development and will receive support for LWRP soon :)

a1-programmer likes this.
  45. Battlepad

Battlepad

Hi,

I just tried the evaluation package of V2. Overall, I like it.
    But I got 2 problems I ran into:
    1. The live preview (e.g. regarding texture and geometry stamper) is only shown in the beginning. After working with the plugin for some time, the live preview is not shown anymore.
    2. I can't get the texture stamper to work properly. The terrain is colored slightly everytime I hit the apply button, kind of like the opacity is not on max.
    I attached a screenshot of my view and the settings of the stamper

Are the problems I'm facing known bugs or am I doing something wrong?

Attached Files:

46. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi Battlepad,
    Thanks for the review, I've take a look and you're right, it's a bug. I've made some mistake in the shader and this bug only affect the Evaluation package.
    For the live preview, it cannot work properly if your terrain object has rotation and scale different from (0,0,0) and (1,1,1) until now. There're also a checkbox to toggle live preview for each tool, and a global one in Settings to toggle them all, make sure you turn them on.
    I've upload a new package with the fix, you can get it here:
    http://pinwheel.studio/polaris2-evaluation/
    Cheer,
    Tam

Battlepad likes this.
  47. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Version 2.1.0 is available with tons of new powerful features.
    Get it HERE.

48. Battlepad

Battlepad

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my question. I got your asset and I like it very much!

Now, I'm facing a problem regarding light baking: tried to bake my light into the terrain.
    So I marked the "Stylized Terrain" object as static, including its children. When I bake the light now it's working well. But when I'm loading my project again/reload the scene, all the terrain meshes are only marked as 'navigation static' now, but not as 'lightmap static' anymore (s. attachment). So the lighting data is not applied anymore.

Attached Files:

49. Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Tran-Ngoc-Tam

Hi Battlepad, I've addressed the issue and will fix it soon. Cheer!

50. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hi @Tran-Ngoc-Tam

I was curious if this asset has a biomes feature? I'm thinking along the lines of vegetation studio. If not, does this work with vegetation studio?