Search Unity

[Released] Point Cloud Viewer Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mgear, Apr 14, 2014.

1. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Amazing result!

2. mgear

mgear

can you send some sample files where it fails?

3. mgear

mgear

then that probably fails due to trying to initialize so big array, i can test it locally with a dummy file to see what happens.
    with the coming v3 format it should work. (almost ready to submit it, should be live by next weekend).

4. IsDon

IsDon

I had a memory error when trying a larger file too. It was definitely at the vector3 array initialisation, but happy to hold off until we get v3. Was thinking about just forcing it to split into multiple smaller output binaries if bigger than some threshold size, but wasn't sure about the randomisation factor.

edit: fixed in 2.20 thanks!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  5. mgear

mgear

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    IsDon and sjm-tech like this.
  6. MartinProchazka

MartinProchazka

Hello to all... Is it possible to load multiple .ply files for animation with this tool ? I saw in releas-note there is possible to load brekel format for animation.

7. mgear

mgear

Not possible in the current version,
    but i had external converter tool for doing exactly that, i'll check if can find it.

8. MartinProchazka

MartinProchazka

I will be glad, if you can share that tool.

9. mgear

mgear

MartinProchazka likes this.
  10. MartinProchazka

MartinProchazka

Hello again mgear, I am trying that tool with .ply Asci 1.0 format with few files. I have some issue:
    upload_2019-11-20_22-18-5.png
    CloudCompare can read one file right. For what kind of format .ply is it ?

If I good understand, with Point Cloud Tools it is possible to play animated .bin and also multiple ones,please ?

11. mgear

mgear

is it ascii ply? can you show the header of ply? (or email me sample file)

animated .bin file is single file only (not multiple .bin files),
    so the ply converter puts all ply frames into that one .bin file.

animated .bin file structure info is here (in case you want to output data yourself from elsewhere)

12. thienVTI

thienVTI

does this tool can import ascii point cloud - pcd file format ??

13. mgear

mgear

yes, basic ascii pcd is supported.

if you want to send sample file to try first, i can test and pm/email you screenshot.

14. mgear

mgear

Planning for the next updates, here are some options (that you can vote on, or suggest new ones)

can vote with this link:
    https://www.strawpoll.me/19045290

or comment here in forums:
    1. Add pack-colors feature for v3 (~1.5x performance boost)
    2. more import formats to commandline converter tools
    3. add point picking to v3
    4. faster loading v3 (and load near player first)
    5. v3 load tiles from web server
    6. v3 animated lod fade in out (instead of instantly appearing)
    7. v3 load/unload on demand "=unlimited point cloud" (currently fully loaded into memory)
    8. Something else (post in forum)

*of course i eventually want to put all those and more, but you can comment on what is most important right now.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  15. IsDon

IsDon

Would this require a performance hit with 2 LODs active during transitions? Cool idea, but probably 2nd level of importance to me.

I'd really like to see 1, then 7 as most useful to me.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing what you get to next :)

Don
    have a great day

16. petrasvestartas

petrasvestartas

Hi,

I just bought the plugin of yours.

I am generating points from Unity C# Script editor.

For instance

Vector3[] positions = new Vector3[100000];
    for(int i = 0; i< 100000; i++){
    positions = new Vector3(0,0,i)
    }

How can I display positions in Unity once I press start?

17. mgear

mgear

check example scene:
    PointCloudTools\Demos\PointCloudViewer\Scenes\PointCloud-YourOwnData.unity
    and the script used there:
    PointCloudTools\Demos\PointCloudViewer\Scripts\YourOwnDataExample.cs

so in that example, when you press Space, it generates random points and assigns to the viewer,
    you can do the same. (note that in the start is sets RGB true, so if you dont need point colors, can set that to false.

18. mgear

mgear

there should be no performance hit, but i realised that probably user wont notice it much in most cases (if they are further away from viewer anyways)

yeah, #1 and #7 seem most useful at the moment.

IsDon likes this.
  19. petrasvestartas

petrasvestartas

Is it necessary to add colors or this property could be skipped?

20. mgear

mgear

tested, it works without colors also, so no need to feed colors.
    (for the viewer you can assign material like "PointCloudSingleColorOpaqueDX11.mat", so you can then set point colors.

21. mgear

mgear

no runtime version yet, actually my initial thought for v3 runtime conversion was to call commandline converter in background to do it.. (after adding new commandline formats, currently only laz/las has commandline v3 converter).

22. mgear

mgear

currently you can get these values out from the v3 cloud, Bounds and the Offset that was used for autooffset:
    https://github.com/unitycoder/UnityPointCloudViewer/wiki/V3-Tiles-Format#api

i think there is no way to keep objects in real coordinates (since everything breaks too far)..
    so certainly would need to offset the other objects to match the autooffset.

23. mgear

mgear

24. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

It throws the same error. I moved the file into the same drive, folder, and ran the tests with the same result. Just to check that nothing was incorrectly spelled or label, i change the output folder and it failed throwing "0> Output directory not found: (********************)

p:\001_PointCloudTools>LasConverter -input=P:\001_PointCloudTools\XXX_1BillionPoints.las -output=P:\001_PointCloudTools\XXX_1BillionPoints\

::: LAS/LAZ Converter v1.2 :::

input = p:\001_pointcloudtools\xxx_1billionpoints.las
    output = p:\001_pointcloudtools\xxx_1billionpoints\

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'laszip.net, Version=2.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=bc50e9aa04368e1b' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515) ---> System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///P:\001_PointCloudTools\lib\laszip.net.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515) ---> System.NotSupportedException: An attempt was made to load an assembly from a network location which would have caused the assembly to be sandboxed in previous versions of the .NET Framework. This release of the .NET Framework does not enable CAS policy by default, so this load may be dangerous. If this load is not intended to sandbox the assembly, please enable the loadFromRemoteSources switch. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155569 for more information.
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)
    at LasConverter.Program.<>c.<Main>b__21_0(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs bArgs)
    at System.AppDomain.OnAssemblyResolveEvent(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at LasConverter.Program.ReadFile()
    at LasConverter.Program.Main(String[] args)

p:\001_PointCloudTools>

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  25. mgear

mgear

aha, dll got blocked by windows, need to do unblock (select that dll file in lib/ folder, right click, properties, [x] unblock, Apply)
    upload_2019-12-17_23-6-35.png

26. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

Correction... i had to remove all files and put them all in the same directory. It is running now

okay, will try that too.

27. mgear

mgear

that can help also, it actually tries to load the dll from same folder, but i wanted to have the main folder clean.. so it then falls back to lib folder in case of failed dll.

28. mgear

mgear

las/laz converter supports v3 output, can set it by: -version=3

29. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

300M 400M wow, I used this asset long ago to prototype a racing game that whent nowhere, but with theese cloud sizes + the lod thing I may retry to see how it feels

IsDon likes this.
  30. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

So it is hands down one of the best updates so far but is limited(because who else needs the resources that we do?!). Is there a way to adjust and or address the OutOfMemoryException(is this C++,C# limits or...??) Potentially with something like page files to collect dumps and/or in the building process dump files an/or split into chunks?

The Laz file was 2.7gb, the LAS was 28gb. It seems that the limitation is actually based on the quantity of points and therefore maybe a buffer is being generated so isntead, break the buffer into 2 chunks? I have 64gb memory and 58gb was available at the time, so not sure.

ex. getPointCount(); --> if pointCount >= 500,000,000 --> convertPointToPCROOT() --> readFile() --> makeList() --> if points fall in tiling range (based on bounds and tiling info)--> export into new file chunks --> organize(); --> Final Process using small chunks to make the large chunk().

or like getPointCount(); --> if pointCount >= 500,000,000 --> chunking files() (( create list with first half of points, dump to file, get second half of points and amend to file). organizeFile(); --> tilingChunksBasedOnMetersAndPointSpacingFromFile() --> etc etc

in theory if memory exception is correlated to memory available on the system, you could future proof this for any rig to run it, example is whatever the max memory is, you can run an algorithm to ensure the process stays within an acceptable range and adjust processing based on such settings (more chunks to reduce chance of overwhelming system) Bigger machines would stand to benefit the most, possibly too if it was tied into threading, but even resource deprived PCs could have their fun with PCs too.

input = xxx.las
    output = p:\001pointcloudtools\xxx\
    flip = true
    version = 3
    Reading file: P:\001PointCloudTools\xxx.las

Unhandled Exception: OutOfMemoryException.

P:\001PointCloudTools>LasConverter -input=xxx.laz -output=P:\001PointCloudTools\xxx\ -flip=true -version=3

input = xxx.laz
    output = p:\001pointcloudtools\xxx\
    flip = true
    version = 3
    Reading file: P:\001PointCloudTools\xxx.laz

Unhandled Exception: OutOfMemoryException.

P:\001PointCloudTools>

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  31. mgear

mgear

yeah, for huge files need to add something to overcome that limitation.
    current workaround would be to manually split the cloud into 2 parts, and then use 2 viewers. (havent actually tested that)

32. MarvelTile

MarvelTile

Does your system now support .e57 files ?

33. mgear

mgear

Not yet, but i'm adding that as an standalone commandline converter (which can be called in the background to do runtime conversion). (but probably not in the next few weeks though)

34. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

"
    V2 or V3 format is not supported for LAS. Check standalone converter: https://github.com/unitycoder/UnityPointCloudViewer/wiki/Commandline-Tools#laslaz-converter
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    unitycodercom_PointCloud2Binary.PointCloud2BinaryConverter:ConvertBinaryV2() (at Assets/PointCloudTools/Editor/PointCloud2BinaryConverter.cs:785)
    unitycodercom_PointCloud2Binary.PointCloud2BinaryConverter:OnGUI() (at Assets/PointCloudTools/Editor/PointCloud2BinaryConverter.cs:233)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)"

:\

please make the comand line have a simple UI, comandline is allways a pain

35. mgear

mgear

ok, yeah that would be a good idea. (and simple to do)

36. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

So downloaded latest version, willing to test v3 format

I've a really large dataset for testing, the thing is that is is already tiled and in .las

aparently the converter spects you to input a mega massive dataset and itself will generate the chunks/grid for v3 format, at least on unity editor seems like so.

I also have the dataset merged, but handling big datasets in a single file is allways a pain. Would it be possible ( may be its already) to batch convert a folder with .las files to v3 format and use each file as an independent region in the lod? And in the viewer just point the root of the folder you whant to completely load.

37. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

38. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

So i managed to convert my .pod microstation cloud to a 30gb xyz cloud. I'm trying to convert it to v3 format using the editor converter.
    1/3 Counting rows= 0

looks like its bonna take long.

the dataset:
    upload_2019-12-18_15-9-17.png

I think its 730M points, all merged in one file.
    75m grid size

39. mgear

mgear

note:
    editor converter is about 5-10x slower than commandline version..
    also, you can skip that counting part if you use PTS format (where it has the pointcount amount on the first row)

but excellent feedback, got few ideas to handle large clouds better.

IsDon likes this.
  40. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

ok so I got 2 errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. No RGB data founded after XYZ, disabling readRGB
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    3. unitycodercom_PointCloudHelpers.PeekHeader:PeekHeaderXYZ(StreamReader, Boolean&) (at Assets/PointCloudTools/PointCloudViewerDX11/Scripts/Common/PeekHeader.cs:238)
    4. unitycodercom_PointCloud2Binary.PointCloud2BinaryConverter:ConvertBinaryV2() (at Assets/PointCloudTools/Editor/PointCloud2BinaryConverter.cs:868)
    5. unitycodercom_PointCloud2Binary.PointCloud2BinaryConverter:OnGUI() (at Assets/PointCloudTools/Editor/PointCloud2BinaryConverter.cs:233)
    6. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    second
    Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2. unitycodercom_PointCloud2Binary.PointCloud2BinaryConverter.ConvertBinaryV2 () (at Assets/PointCloudTools/Editor/PointCloud2BinaryConverter.cs:1313)
    3. unitycodercom_PointCloud2Binary.PointCloud2BinaryConverter.OnGUI () (at Assets/PointCloudTools/Editor/PointCloud2BinaryConverter.cs:233)
    4. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    5. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    7. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    8. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at <cdd38c6cb7c446c6ac90945c7521da61>:0)
    9. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at <cdd38c6cb7c446c6ac90945c7521da61>:0)
    10. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at <cdd38c6cb7c446c6ac90945c7521da61>:0)
    11. UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect) (at <cdd38c6cb7c446c6ac90945c7521da61>:0)
    12. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at <cdd38c6cb7c446c6ac90945c7521da61>:0)
    13. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    14. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    15. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    16. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.SendEventToIMGUI (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    17. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    18. UnityEngine.UIElements.CallbackEventHandler.HandleEventAtTargetPhase (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    19. UnityEngine.UIElements.MouseCaptureDispatchingStrategy.DispatchEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    20. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    21. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEventQueue () (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    22. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.OpenGate () (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    23. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcherGate.Dispose () (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    24. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    25. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.Dispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    26. UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel.SendEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase e, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    27. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    28. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at <26a12ad1f5b8470c9f0626ae8224b9a6>:0)
    29. UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at <59837000ebf54955a9cb1d31caa86097>:0)
    makes me doubt wether I may have placed another merge cloud since the AO is baked on the rgb there should be RGB data.
    So I checked with CC and its true, only XYZ, I may have removed RGB data hwen exporting from MS.
    I checked and MS only exports XYZ no XYZ RGB, at least on the version I've.
    CC I tested in the past and could not handle the merge process of the several tiles. I may retry tho.

41. mgear

mgear

42. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

so, I managed to export to .las the whole cloud with the AO so it would not render as a white massive cloud. Yet

"Excepción no controlada: OutOfMemoryException." is what I get with the commandlin converter, almost instantly

upload_2019-12-18_19-43-26.png

with the .xyz in editor it won´t trow err but it simply wont output a file.

I think it would be great as I stated above to be able to import a whole folder of already tiled clouds and each file be treated as a tile or even be able to further subdivide each tile if necessary.

For me, the tests go as far as this as this for now. If you whant the big .las file I can send you, I can send you also the chopped version

43. mgear

mgear

thanks, i can see the pointcount there so i can test with dummy data first.

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  44. mgear

mgear

45. mgear

mgear

46. MartinProchazka

MartinProchazka

Hello to all again... is it possible to load .bin file in editor without "play" ? Is it possible to make translation to cloud in editor (move,translate, scale) ? ...btw, great plug-in.

47. mgear

mgear

this is the only editor viewing option currently, but has issues (also need to disable threading, might have had some other issues too)
    https://github.com/unitycoder/Unity...wing-Point-Clouds-in-Editor-(not-in-playmode)

i'm guessing you'd like to build levels using pointclouds, arrange them around and use as reference etc. ?

then initial thought would be making lower resolution mesh clouds to work with,
    and some custom tools to collect/save those translation values into binary viewer..

to translate binaryviewer clouds, would need to modify shader to add offset/scale/rotate (to do that inside shader).

48. MartinProchazka

MartinProchazka

Thank you, I was hoping also for animated pointcloud in editor :)

I would like to build presentation from multiple pointclods and also some of them are animated. Kind of VR documentation from photogrammetry and multiple kinects sources.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  49. petrasvestartas

petrasvestartas

Hi

I just tried to display pointcloud from my project, but I get null error.
    Why this error happens and why points are not displayed?

Screenshot attached

Attached Files:

50. mgear

mgear

Have you assigned viewer reference in inspector? (like in the yourowndata example scene)
    on this field: public PointCloudViewerDX11 binaryViewerDX11;

btw. is that faro dll publicly available? looks like it would be easy to add support for that format then.