Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Platformer Project (3D platformer template)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PlayerTwoPublisher, Dec 27, 2021.

1. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

The Platformer Project is a template for 3D platform games.

The main focus of this asset is to provide core mechanics like jumping, wall jumping, wall sliding, climbing, gliding, back flipping, air dashing, swimming, and many others. The Player can also collect items, handle moving platformers, and respawn from checkpoints. You can move the character using the keyboard, a gamepad, or a virtual gamepad for mobile support.

From version 1.8.0, the asset now features Gravity Fields! With this update, the Player can walk on planets of multiple shapes, like spheres, boxes, cylinders, capsules, splines, etc. To achieve this, a custom kinematic Character Controller now powers the Player and other Entities, so they no longer rely on Unity's default Character Controller limitations.

The asset is available on Unity's Asset Store: https://u3d.as/2GNb.

If you can't buy it right now, click on the heart icon on the Asset Store page, and you'll be notified when it gets a discount.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    r137, andreiagmu and elijahrockshout like this.
  2. ml785

ml785

Hi, this looks really cool! Is this Character Controller? Rigidbody?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  3. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

Hello! Sorry for taking so long to answer, I haven't been following this thread. It's using Unity's Character Controller.

EDIT: From version 1.8.0, it now features a custom Character Controller solution.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    ml785 likes this.
  4. Darknight747

Darknight747

Bought it over the Xmas/NewYear break. Totally worth it and it's very new-user & student friendly!
    Please keep updating and adding features and I'll keep recommending to newer Unity users and students (hopefully you can get a lot more mileage out of this $$-wise through repeat sales, and we can get more mileage feature-wise as it grows and expands).
    Love the fact that you have immediate interaction with the system and effectively have a game running in a few minutes (similar to Unity's MicroGames but much more in depth). You get dropped in the middle of a functioning and fun sandbox, and can make a game out of it in literally no time flat. It grabs even a new user's attention at t=0, holds it for hours, and makes them come back repeatedly for days or weeks.
    I'm a huge proponent of CorgiEngine, TopDown Engine, Highroad (most everything by MoreMountains really), PlayMaker, Flare Engine, and a few other frameworks, but your Platformer Project is soooo good and makes it so immediately reachable and usable by literally just about anyone. I love it as a teaching tool and for prototyping!
    I really hope it will become one of my long-term "go to" frameworks like the others above have become.

5. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

@Darknight747 Thanks for the support! I'll do my best to keep improving it. ;)

6. coolguy_platinum

coolguy_platinum

can you make a vid on how to set up for mobile?

7. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

Hey, I answered you on Discord. But in case anyone else has this question, there's no additional setup for mobile. All you need to do is change the build target platform; it should work just fine. Of course, you may need to turn off some post-processing effects to gain performance. Still, there's nothing fancy. Create another post-processing profile with lower-quality effects (or disable it altogether). In any case, it's up to you. The code itself doesn't need any changes.

8. dragonstar

dragonstar

I bought the kit how I can add more levels to the Game?

9. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

Thanks for the support! The documentation has all details about creating new levels and other stuff. I can provide better support through email or the Discord server. You can find all the support links in the "Getting Help" section from the docs Quick Start menu.

10. dragonstar

dragonstar

I figure out already thanks but I have question, I put a new Enemy model with my own AI I put the health script,
    on him but the attack of the player are not working, that I miss something when I add the health script to my Enemy?

11. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

If you're using a custom enemy AI, you'll need to integrate it with the damage system. Damage currently works by identifying the entity you want to damage through the Hitbox component (which is basically an 'on trigger' event) and sending the damaging information to it so it can react appropriately. After that, this entity notifies the health component to decrease or not the health points. To make the Player attacks interact with your custom enemies, you must tell the Hitbox component to do so, by reading your enemy through the collision event and invoking a 'damage' event, either by an interface through your custom component or by directly changing the Health component 'Damage' method.

12. dragonstar

dragonstar

I try this way but is not working

Attached Files:

13. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

The hitbox is already on the Player. You must change the code from the Entity Hitbox "HandleColision" method to damage your custom enemy. Your setup doesn't work because these components were not designed to work like this.

14. o3428320d

o3428320d

Hi, is the package support URP?
    As I import the package to URP project, and all the materials in the test level scene turn pink. Thanks.

15. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

Hello, It does support URP. Please, follow the instructions from the documentation to migrate the custom shaders from the built-in pipeline to URP or HDRP.

16. dragonstar

dragonstar

ok I am back with a question how I can create like bullet object using on the game to add damage to the enemy for a long distance attack?

17. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

A solution for this has been posted in our community on Discord. Consider joining it to get access to the tutorial. Also, I'm now requiring an Invoice Number validation to provide customer support, so you'll need to ask for help through e-mail or the Discord server.

18. evilkoolade

evilkoolade

will it work with Playmaker?

19. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

Some people from the Discord server do use it with Playmaker. It's possible to use both to some extent. Of course, this is not built with Playmaker, so even though you can combine both, changing the asset will require C# knowledge.

evilkoolade likes this.
  20. Amo-deus

Amo-deus

A Mario 64 slide mechanic addition would be amazing! Like the princess secret slide and the one in cool cool mountain.

21. SamoProgrammer

SamoProgrammer

how to make a retractable platform like crash bandicot wich when player moves on it, it must be retracted

22. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

Hello! I answer support questions by e-mail or in the Discord community. If you contact me by e-mail, send me your Invoice Number so I can validate your purchase.

23. r137

r137

Hi, thank you for the great project. However, I have a slight issue.

I recently imported the asset into a new project. When I attempt to make the character walk, it turns in the correct direction and starts the walking animation, but there's a slight delay before the character moves. For about half a second, the walking animation plays, but the character doesn't move. Then, it starts walking as expected. This occurs every time the character stops and starts walking again.

Additionally, I'm experiencing problems with crouch walking. The animation plays, but the character doesn't move. The same issue happens when swimming.

It seems there might be an excessive amount of friction that prevents the character from moving smoothly.

I've tested this in both Unity versions 2021.2.11f and 2022.3.18f1.

Please see following recording:

24. PlayerTwoPublisher

PlayerTwoPublisher

This is very weird. I've never seen this. Maybe you added a collider to the Player or something? In any case, join the Discord server or email me with your Invoice Number. I only provide support after validating the purchase.