Search Unity

[RELEASED] Pixel Platformer Engine - Responsive 2d Platformer Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MooseStache, May 31, 2018.

1. MooseStache

MooseStache

Since we are done with the topdown engine, we are now going full steam on Update 1.3 and have about 1/3 of it's features already added. We expect it to be submitted for review in about 2-3 weeks and live in about 4 weeks since reviewing updates it's a lot faster than new assets.

dithyrambs likes this.
  2. TechSins

TechSins

When will the top down engine be available to purchase? I’d love to buy it right now if it was on itch or gumroad

3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

really looking forwa
    Really looking forward to it, especially the minimap

4. twomack37

twomack37

What is the status of the top down engine you mention in this thread? It sounds very interesting.

Thanks!

5. eses

eses

Hi @MooseStache

I think this asset looks pretty neat.

I have some questions. Sorry if these are already answered elsewhere, but I tried to do my homework - Last time I checked your asset store page description, your webpage and this thread, I didn't find any mention, how this asset actually works (this was maybe month or two ago).

Are you using colliders at all?

Are collisions dependent on FixedUpdate or Physics system?

Are you using Raycasts in character to detect collisions? (Like Corgi engine)

Do I have to use some specific way to mark platforms, ladders and such?

I know it could be some sort of rects and pixel overlap test too - but the there seems to be very little information!

It's bit hard to evaluate if this would be something I'd like to consider using (yes - visually it looks ok) unless I know little bit more about the requirements and what makes it tick.

Thanks in advance!

6. WhatTheKen

WhatTheKen

Devs are AFK from this project it looks like.

7. eses

eses

@Ethan114 - well I kind of thought that too, I didn't even get answer to PM I sent maybe two days ago...

8. TechSins

TechSins

I don't think they are dead probably just busy, but i would like to know when the top down engine will be out

9. WhatTheKen

WhatTheKen

Has anyone figured out how to add sounds effects or music? There are none by default.

10. kylix_87

kylix_87

Hello! I wanted to congratulate you on the amazing work you guys are putting out!
    But I must say I was expecting a little bit more updates reading the comments you wrote here in this thread...
    I'm also eager to know a little bit when 1.3 will be out.
    What are you working on right now and what can we expect realistically?

Thanks again! Cheers!

11. LordGraa

LordGraa

Bought this and I am more than happy!

But where is the 1.3 version everyone is talking about? Is Unity holding on it to release it on store? I hope not!

PS: adding sounds effects + background music tutorial and/or short demo would be great! :O)

12. WhatTheKen

WhatTheKen

Hey guys I made an unofficial discord for all of us to share and help each other with the engine if anyone wants to join! I will also gladly take this discord down at the request of MooseStache! Heres the link for it if anyone wants to join:

https://discord.gg/Wpwxvqp

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  13. Rujash

Rujash

-edit-
    Actually see the demo now with bouncing pads. You talked about your own inventory solution not yet implemented. This means that there will be different weapons implemented with it, right?

Do you plan to add weapon directions? So I can shoot the bow and arrow upwards if holding up, and diagnol if up+left/right. Also interested in an air attack downwards with the sword. After jumping, holding down+attack.

Haven't really seen you talk about stats like strength or anything for implementing, and only see some basics with the weapon mechanics. Still would like to know if that's planned or there's an asset with it that is compatible.

Also, I suggest being able to jump into and start climbing a ladder from two blocks away. I noticed the character can only climb a ladder if it starts right in front of the ladder or was already climbing.
    -old post-
    Hi, does your asset feature or plan to feature anything like bounce pads? I actually want to make a character with air acceleration and can bounce after attacking downward and hitting something (like Mario) but also giving control in the air with air acceleration (like super smash brothers Link doing a downward attack).

Also, does this implement well with inventory pro, or any other inventory assets you can suggest? Also requiring a stats management system like 'strength' and 'stamina' if your package has, or you know a compatible asset that has, it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  14. Rujash

Rujash

Suggestions:
    1) Paths/tracks for moving platforms; something like in Mario where they have platform pathing and even the ability for moving platforms to 'fall off' their tracks.
    2) Bomb item like in Zelda that can used to destroy doors/blocks.
    3) Missile item like in Super Metroid that can be used to open doors.
    4) Suggestions in my last post ('jump on an enemy to kill them', 'make grabbing ladder mid-air easier/possible after jumping towards it from 2 blocks or so away', 'weapon directions: shooting up/diagnolly', 'downward attack, melee-midair, holding down-key and attack-key')

I'll likely implement my own or some other RPG stats/skills system, since it's a big task and I hope asset makers will concentrate on doing the brute/necessary mechanics.

Shops, items, money and stuff are mentioned/coming so I don't need to (but will anyway) mention them :)

Bug: I remain in the air as I hold right. (10 seconds in.)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  15. Tom_Bombadil_

Tom_Bombadil_

I just want to tell you that this is a great asset. You guys have put a lot of work into this and it really shows. I am still getting all the details worked out but I will most certainly be keeping an eye on this once I get enough planning done to start with level design and production. Really great work,

16. StuffedNinjaGames

StuffedNinjaGames

I guess they quit this pack to focus on their game.

17. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

I hope not. I’d love to see this asset grow as it’s awesome. But we need 1.3.

Devs where are you?! :)

18. WhatTheKen

WhatTheKen

They are still releasing the update! They are pending review according to my knowledge. You can see any updates on the discord at https://discord.gg/xWTc86Q

zero_equals_zero likes this.
  19. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Hey Cheers! looking forward, glad to see this!

20. StuffedNinjaGames

StuffedNinjaGames

They don’t respond to questions on here or twitter.

21. WhatTheKen

WhatTheKen

They talk on the discord.

22. hernanperez85

hernanperez85

Hello MooseStache!, I have 2 questions:
    1) Is there a way to disable some abilities? For example: disable wall climbing but letting ledge hanging enabled.
    2) Can I customize the values of the abilities? For example: jump height, dash dinstance, etc.
    Thanks in advance!

23. Tom_Bombadil_

Tom_Bombadil_

Currently this is not a feature in the system, however an ability manager is part of the planned features in the up comming 1.3 update along with a host of other things.

24. AndyGFX

AndyGFX

Hi,
    on a first look, engine looks nice, but he has one big problem, is designed with Per Pixel units = 1, and player controller is hardcoded to this scale (i.e. deltatime * 10000 !!!!!!). Rewrite it back to NORMAL scale is impossible :( because every next update rewrite it back or I will have problem with new features again.

I realy don't understand why? Why was not used, for example 16 PPU, as in others plugins or assets.

25. AGamers

AGamers

Hi !
    Very nice engine, really !
    One question
    I want to make parallax background and I added backround as described here
    , but after that weird lines appeared between tiles...

how can i make them disappear ?

And the second question
    How can I make game in presize resolution - 320x180 ?

26. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Happy new year to the devs, and I hope something great is coming soon

27. WalkerOnline

WalkerOnline

I am considering purchasing this, wondering what the current time table is for 1.3?

28. 2ksomnis_2014

2ksomnis_2014

Hello!

Great asset!

But i have a problem. If i add a new tile to walls&floor layer it works fine, alfter if i remove this tile Unity crashes when the player hit it.

29. Jhorgep

Jhorgep

Help please, I recently bought this engine. but I have a doubt that I do not know how to add new enemies, in other words, the error I have is the transition of the animation, how can I make the animation of death work?

I add this enemy but even when I kill it it keeps moving infinitely although it does not take away my life but it keeps moving, how do I make it load the death animation?

Attached Files:

30. redaEL

redaEL

Hi Support,
    i try hard to make the player switch from level1 to level2 but i didn't
    - i add the Door script to the final checkpoint.
    - then from GameManager --> NextLevel Event : i add the screenFader --> EndScene Method.

i miss something ?

some screenshots in Attached Files.

Attached Files:

31. Kreza

Kreza

This asset isn't working with Unity 2019.1.0f2. Gives me a bunch of errors in the log. I've managed to load it into Unity 2018.3.4f1, but some things don't seem right. I'm hoping for an update, and have reached out on the Discord.

32. dithyrambs

dithyrambs

Slope snapping?

Before I buy the asset, I'd like to know how walking down slopes works in your engine, but the video of the slopes update doesn't show this really at all! The entire reason I would buy this instead of rolling my own solution is to not have to write my own stuff for "slope snapping". Perhaps the playable web version could have a slope in it to try out?

33. magique

magique

Will it be possible to do a game like this?

The player doesn't actually jump on platforms nor the enemies, but they navigate through maze-like levels.