Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Pinball Creator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tropical-Studio, Aug 17, 2016.

1. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Oh, that is a pity. Funny enough: I found a soundfile in your demo tables with a voice saying Jackpot.
    Can you add the option in the next update, please?

2. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Oh surprise, I have something else ;) . Sorry to bug you all the time.

My first table is almost finished and a second one in the making. As of now, I am fine tuning, and there are little parts that could be improved.

1)
    See "Manager Game" --> Multiball
    There is the option of deactivating objects while a multiball is running. A very useful feature. However, it does not deactivate my focus cam triggers, which is unfortunate. Activating a focus cam when three balls are on the table is really bad for the overview ;) . Can you make it accept focus cam triggers as well, please?

2) Extended Countdown
    I need a mission countdown to be extended. I have a Rollover 3 - Rollover 1 for the score multiplier. It is very time consuming to raise the multiplier, so I want to give the player a chance to raise several multipliers after another. So my wish is that the final rollover 1 extends the time limit once it was hit

so the cycle is like this:

Rollover 3 ---> Done--> 20 seconds time limit for rollover 1--> done --> 7 more seconds to hit rollover 1 again

Actually I thought I had found such an option, but it obviously doesn't work with multipliers.
    There could be another possibility to make the multiplier raise easier: an option for a multiplier that doesn't reset when the ball is lost.

Tropical-Studio likes this.
  3. tonywalsh

tonywalsh

Hi, great-looking asset with good documentation, thanks for your hard work on this, Tropical Studio.

I immediately noticed the tiny size of the models in the scene and had to find out why. The reason for the tiny size is not mentioned in the FAQ (it's the first question I had when looking at the demo scene), but I did search for "scale" in the forum and the size seems to be by design. Based on what I read on the forum, there isn't a practical solution to this without affecting the game physics.

If I've read the info correctly, this is very unfortunate :(. Any level designer or content creator would want to know about this issue before purchasing the package, it's just really non-standard and impractical to have to work around the scale issue when creating and testing custom pinball boards.

Did I read correctly? Is there really no way to have larger pinball board assets without the entire system falling down?

4. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

@tonywalsh

Hi,
    About the scale we respected 1 unit = 1 meter.
    There is an easy way to solve the small size when you work on your table.

Follow this steps (see the image below):

- Create an empty group and move it at the center of the cabinet (spot 1).
    - In this new group add : the cabinet + table + p_room (spot 2).
    - Scale the new group X Y Z to 10 (spot 3).
    - Fine tune the position of your objects.

Don't forget to rescale the new group X Y Z to 1 before launching the scene.

Tips.jpg

Hope it helps you.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  5. jbizzy129

jbizzy129

Hello, I like your asset and I am just a little confused about the plunger cam. I know that we can add a x offset in portrait mode, but how about in regular landscape mode? How can we set the cameras exact location and rotation angle when it is time to launch the ball? I know how to set the y and z of the camera via plunger cam offset, but not the x, it seems to only work in portrait mode. I put his line of code in the smooth follow script

transform.localEulerAngles = new Vector3(66,0,0);,

And when I run the game, before the start circle is clicked, I have the correct angle I want to use for camera but as soon as I click start game circle to pull the plunger, cam goes to another location that I dont want. So the question is can we disable the view and movement the camera takes when it is time to shoot the plunger

6. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Ok i'm going to check if i find a way to do what you want. Send me your email in PM and will send you the modified script.

7. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hey Tropical Studio,
    is there any chance that you will implement the feature i wished for? I'd wait for it.... I mean the extended timer...
    It's something my first table really needs.
    Thanks in advance.

8. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

It is not possible to do exactly what you want but it is possible to initialize the timer when the ball pass on a rollover.

Look at this example :
    First Mission Part : Hit a target
    Second Mission Part : Go through 2 rollovers.
    Timer is initialized each time the ball pass on a rollover (spot 1)
    Choose the timer duration (timer duration is always the same) (spot 2)

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 10.19.56.jpg

9. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Yeah, I noticed that. Thanks for the answer.
    The problem is that my final target is just one rollover, and I want the final part of the Mission to be repeated.
    An extended time limit is pretty common in pinball. It is often used for Loop challenges (something like "hit target X and then do the loop as often as you can" ) . See Star Trek TNG, Black Knight 2000 and so on.

10. Danicano

Danicano

Hi. I've not purchased the creator yet, but I'm thinking of it....
    One question, maybe a complicated one.

Real pinballs, and emulators like Visual Pinball, Zen Studios, Pinball Arcade, Timeshock!..., have this flipper behaviour:

The ball tends to be shot at the opposite angle of the flipper when it is on the flipper's base, shot at the middle of the table when it's on the flipper's middle, and tend to be shot at the contrary angle when the ball is on the flipper's tip.

I've seen in Pinball Creator videos that the ball tend to have too much angle in the opposite direction of the flippers thus not reacting like real pinballs or the other emulator do....

Can the flippers be tweaked by the user to get similar emulation? If not, maybe are there plans to improve the flipper physics????

Thanks in advance!!!!

11. Danicano

Danicano

My image link didn't work. I attach it as a file.

Attached Files:

12. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

@ Danicano,

Hi,
    I understand that it's not exactly the physics you're looking for.
    Pinball Creator may be different, but the flippers are accurate and the tables are fun to play, so we do not intend to change physics.

Adrad and Tyrells16 like this.
  13. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I bought this awesome and amazing asset, and is really excellent and realistic, and the physics are for me very realistic and well done. Is a pity that I do not have time to use it more

The only problem I have is with the size of the pinball board, I mean that the objects as far as I know from the example, must be the same as in real world and are small, but really this is not a problem, is just that the physics must be kept real to world measurements.

What I would like is to make a pinball that does NOT use a pinball board as default, and it could be like an open world pinball as for example

Pin Tiki Ball 3D Pinball
    Pinout by Mediocre

Also there other possible ideas like a player Vs player pinball war like it happens in

PinWar pinball game

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  14. Tyrells16

Tyrells16

i really wish i had 50 bucks to purchase this... :(

why so expensive? i just want a decent pinball creator and i cant find it anywhere else.

15. Yodzilla

Yodzilla

Heyo Tropical Studio! Just wanted to say great job on this package, this really is a neat pinball system and I'm super appreciative that you updated it to all C#. For our purposes we're actually combining pinball games into other experiences and I'd like to offer two small tweaks to the package that might help other people going forward:
    1. Wrap all of your code in a PinballCreator namespace so as not to cause conflicts with possible existing classes in a project when imported
    2. Have more hooks in the game files for external control solutions. I just added controller support to my tables and unless I'm missing something I had to modify three source files (Manager_Game, Flippers, Spring_Launcher) in a number of places in order to fully cover all functionality. If there were public functions for everything that external classes can touch instead of functionality within conditional statements in Update devs wouldn't have to modify your source (and potentially risk losing work when the plugin updates) in order to implement new control schemes.
    But those are small things in an otherwise great asset! Thanks!

Nyo and Tropical-Studio like this.
  16. obstudio

obstudio

17. derkoi

derkoi

18. obstudio

obstudio

I know that's why I added link. Maybe other new users may also want those features.

19. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi obstudio,
    Yes, it's a good idea!
    Thank you for sharing the link.:)

20. happydayss

happydayss

Hello, I just bought this wonderful asset to help make my game but I ran into a problem when it imported. After it imported it changed my lighting and/or graphic settings and now the whole look of my game is different. I tried to re-import my old settings but to no prevail. Can you let me know how to revert back to my old settings and/or what settings did you integrate with it so I can revert them, great asset otherwise!

21. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,

Unfortunately, when you import a complete project like Pinball Creator it overwrites the settings of the current project. The only way to recover the settings of your project is to open a backup of your old project.

The best way to proceed with a complete project is to:

- Create a new project

- Import the pinball creator asset

- Import a package of your project into it.

About the parameters , Pinball Creator use the linear mode (see part of the document 1 page3).

To see the quality settings, see part of Document 1 pages 34 and 35.

Lighting panel settings also affect rendering.

Warning:

You need to keep the physics, time, and tags and layers settings if you want the pinball to work properly. More information Document 1 page 4 and page 5

Hope it's help.

Marc

22. happydayss

happydayss

Thanks for the quick response, The winning solution was changing the color space from Linear to Gamma. Another Question I have is am I able to use the pinball mechanics without using "missions" and what not. I am trying to create a game like Pinout and only really need the flippers, balls, ramps, and tunnels. Will I need to use all of the asset for the base mechanics or can I just drag and drop them as I please - Josh

23. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Yes it's possible to use mechanics without missions.
    Drag'n'drop prefabs from folder Basics ( Pinball Creator > Assets > Prefabs > Basics).

The ramps and the pipes are independent of the missions so you can also use them without the missions

24. Riffel

Riffel

Hi, I producing 4 new mobile pinball games. I having difficulties with automatic plunger, it not working in my build for mobile, manual plunger works fine but I prefer use automatic in mobile. Anyone with same issue?

25. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi Riffel,

You're right! Thanks for the feedback.
    Send me your mail in a PM so that I can send you a script that will correct the problem.

Riffel likes this.
  26. obstudio

obstudio

Hi. Another small upgrade can be adding countdown timer after pressing resume game.

27. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hi Tropical Studio
    It's been a while. but now I have published my own pinball game and my users gave me some important feedback for things that need to be fixed. I'd be happy if you took a look at the following things.

1) The Pause Function does not hold the ball when it is in a hole or in another animated state of the table. So when you pause the game during that time, the ball will keep rolling and be lost.

2) People have been asking me for a countdown after the the pause.

3) This is important since it is a game breaker:
    There is a major problem with the kickback and multi-ball. When two balls roll into the same activated kickback, the game does not know what to do and will not throw out any of those two balls. The game will break instead.
    Since I linked a sound effect to the kickback, I can hear the kickback going in circles. The sound effect comes again and again and again, but no ball appears.

4) A wish from my side: I'd find it great if we could have 3 different music tracks. One for Plunger view before the ball starts, one for normal gameplay time and one for multiball action.

thanks for your time and support

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    DrOcto likes this.
  28. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi Karaokefreak,

I'm glad to hear that you released your own pinball game.

I put point 2 and 4 in the wishlist for a next update.

Point 1 (Pause and hole) is fixed in the latest version. If you have not downloaded the latest version here's what to do:

-Select the hole object

-In inspector tab choose tag : Hole

Image_01.jpg

Point 3 (Multiball and kickback): the solution is to block kickback access during multiball.

Here's what to do:

-From project tab drag and drop 2 DropTarget in hierarchy.

Pinball Creator >> Assets >> Prefabs >> Basics >> Targets >> p_DropTarget

- In hierarchy tab select Manager_Game (spot1)

G_Manager_Game_BallSaver_ExtraBall_ leds ready >> Manager_Game

- Into Manager_Game(Script): set 2 to size in Deactivate_Ojb_When Mult Is Finished (spot2)

- From hierarchy tab drag and drop the 2 sc_Drop_Target_zl in Element 0 and Element 1 (spot3)

Image_02.jpg

- In hierarchy tab select the first drop target (sc_Drop_Target_zl)

- In Target(Script) set Min Magnitude to 500
    Image_03.jpg
    - Do the same thing for the second target.

- Place drop targets in front of each Kickback to prevent the ball from entering during the multi ball.

Hope its help you.

DrOcto likes this.
  29. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Thanks for the advice.

Could you please specify which of the hole objects need to be tagged? After all, the hole consists of many parts

-the Hole carrier object (empty)
    -----the catcher hole
    -----the spawn hole

Hole Selection.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  30. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,

Change tag on sc_Hole

karaokefreak likes this.
  31. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Great. The tagging works! Thanks!

BTW:
    this is how my upcoming PC-Version looks like

Flipper-PC-Ver3.jpg Flipper-PC-004.jpg

Flipper-PC-Ver3.jpg Flipper-PC-004.jpg

zeb33, Tropical-Studio and DrOcto like this.
  32. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hey Tropical Studio
    Sorry to bug you again, but I am puzzled by something.

1)
    What will trigger the Jackpot in a Multiball Scenario?

I have a "Hole 3, Rollover 1" for my multiball. Everything works fine except for the Jackpot.
    I fill the hole with 3 balls and the multiball starts. My indicator LED will show that the mission is finished once one of those three balls passes the Rollover 1, but then all I get is the points for "completed Mission".
    So what am I doing wrong here? How do I get the Jackpot?

2)
    I started with the Mobile setup, and now I want to finish my Windows desktop version. But I still can't figure out how to change the LCD to the more advanced one. When I drag n drop the Tuto LCD-Prefab and Interface, the LCD remains empty. No score is displayed...
    Where do I connect the LCD to the game system?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  33. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,

1) You must create a mission in two parts:
    - For mission part 2 choose roll-over ( no order)
    - Check Multiball checkbox
    - Choose point value in Jackpoint points by hit

Image_04.jpg

2) About Lcd read "LCD screen " section in doc part 2 ( from page 60 to 68)

Caution: the animations are not compatible between the 2 types of LCD screens. They will have to be recreate.

Hope its help you.

34. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Thanks for your help.

1) On the Jackpot / Multiball:
    Unfortunately, my Jackpot still does not work, although I set it up exactly as you said.
    But nevermind, I made a workaround by "Frankenstein-scripting" my own Jackpot mechanics (though I am very bad at writing scripts... I can read that stuff, but writing... that is hard for me).

2) On the LCD
    Well, it's a pity that it's not compatible. And somehow I have a hard time using your manual. It helped me with a lot of other stuff, but the LCD-Setup is confusing... sorry.
    Well, I also made a workaround to at least have an LCD on my pinball Machine. I just detached the LCD from your canvas and put it in another canvas with world space display. Then I set up a camera and had it focus on the LCD. This image is displayed on a Render Texture, which I put on a plane-mesh and a UI-Image. So now I have both LCDs, one in my UI and one on the pinball machine... :)

Double LCD.jpg

I still have one question:
    I changed the color code in the "mission Start-Script" in order to have Rollover type 3 display a different color for the "word" entry. Question: Can I also change the font size? And if I can, how does it work?
    Just to have you understand me right:
    I don't want to change the size of the whole LCD display. I want to change ONLY the font size of the rollover 3 Word
    ColorchangeLCD.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  35. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,
    I'm not sure to understand exactly what you want.
    Try to replace those lines of code:

line 1281 :
    "<size=24><color=#FF640078>" + Mission_Txt[11] + "</color></size>"

line 1284 :
    "<size=24><color=#FF6400FF>" + Mission_Txt[11] + "</color></size>"

36. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

OK.. ehem..
    your solution is way easier than mine. and it works better as well.
    Thanks for your answer. It works fine and it exactly what I wanted.

37. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hooray!
    My Pinball Game is officially released for Android and PC via google play store and itch.io

Watch my ad on youtube :) :D:D

Adrad and Tropical-Studio like this.
  38. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Cool !
    It's nice to share your pinball on the forum.
    Hope it will be a success !

karaokefreak likes this.
  39. Melcher

Melcher

Hi! I am playing around with Pinball Creator.
    I wonder why the ball bounces off the tip when just holding the flipper, instead of just falling down. See the video. Guesses are welcome.

40. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,

It's because of the definition of the collider that is too low.
    Give me your mail and I send you the new version of the collider (high definition mesh)

Melcher likes this.
  41. Banksy

Banksy

Interesting Asset.... physics are looking sharp. friction and material physics for a V.R pinball game will be interesting.

42. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

I did a quick search, but not sure if you can have multiple flippers? It is OK if they are all triggered with the same buttons.

43. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,
    If you want more than 2 flippers you can duplicate the one you want. However it is not possible to assign different keys for the pinballs.

44. Nyo

Nyo

Hello, do anyone knows why leds applied to targets turns OFF instead of turning ON when the target receive an HIT?
    thank you

45. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,

The light is lit to indicate that you need to hit this target.
    When the target is hit, the light turns off to indicate that it is no longer necessary to hit that target.

46. Nyo

Nyo

Is it possible to have it the other way?

47. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

sorry but it's not possible because it is at the heart of the system.

48. yannminh

yannminh

Hello, I just bought PinBall creator to make a show in Paris for the Chinese New year next week at EP7
    It is really great, thanks.. but
    I had just a problem, after working quite a long time on my project, impossible to put a prefab from my "project" to my "hierarchy"... drag and drop, or anything else doesn't works ... I just begin a new project by zero... and it works..

Does someone know why ?

49. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,
    Are there any error messages in the console?

You can try this:
    Export your project as a custom package.
    Create a new empty project.
    Import the pinball creator asset from the asset store into this new project
    Import the custom package into this new project

Hope its help you.;)

yannminh likes this.
  50. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

For mobile:

I don't want to use the plunger to shoot the ball, but instead I want to touch anywhere the screen to shoot the ball.

The longer I press the faster the ball shoots.

Can you help me with this?

Thank you

unityunity