Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Pinball Creator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tropical-Studio, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,
    Sorry but it's not possible to switch between multiple table with trigger

2. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hi. This is a awesome asset. I started building my own pinball machine and I've come pretty far.. However, when I wanted to alpha-test it on my phone, I found out that there is no touchscreen controll for the Plunger.

(Edit)

okay, all together now I have four issues and I hope you can help.

1) How do I manually use the plunger on Android / the touchscreen?

2) Is it possible to make a three-part mission, in which the second step will release the multiball?

What I'd like to do is set up a mission in which the player has to shoot 5 targets. When 5 targets are gone, a hole will become active. Shooting the hole = Multiball... and then after that, two rollovers get the Jackpot. So it's a mission with three parts

3) Is it possible to have a Hole collect balls for a multiball? Like in classic pinball machines like Star Trek TNG or Black Knight 2000 - one hard to reach hole will collect up to 2 balls and once the third comes in, the hole will spawn all three balls at once
    for a multiball

4) Maybe something for the next update: Could you please add a real highscore list and name entry function (three letters are enough). It were great if the start screen could add a high score list of 5 or 6 players, bound to the scene pinball machine which is used.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  3. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi karaokefreak,

1) How do I manually use the plunger on Android / the touchscreen?
    To use the plunger :
    Put your finger on plunger to pull the spring. Then release your finger from the plunger to eject the ball.

You could look at documentation part 2 section Mobile Control page 128 to show the buttons setup on mobile

VideoGif_Coupe.gif

Input.jpg

2) Is it possible to make a three-part mission, in which the second step will release the multiball?
    For the moment it is not possible to create three parts for the mission. Only two parts are available.

3) Maybe something for the next update: Could you please add a real highscore list and name entry function (three letters are enough). It were great if the start screen could add a high score list of 5 or 6 players.

What do you mean by real hightscrore ?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  4. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hi
    Thanks for the quick reply!

great to see you put effort into your project.
    About my question: I wasn't talking about "real highscore" but a "real Highscore List" with an option to enter a player name of 3 -5 letters. What I mean by a highscore list is a Hud-button that you press and then you see a sheet with the top 5 or 6 highscores + player names, permanently saved.

Some more questions
    I am wiggling my way through your Asset pack and I am still confused by some names of functions. And I haven't tried the toy feature yet.

1) I wonder if it is possible to use a toy animation linked to missions, which hides a certain place. Example: Have a wall which hides two more missions, The wall will only come down (by animation), when a certian mission is trriggered. I know how to make animations, , I just want to know if the animations triggered are permanent.

2) Is it possible to have a Hole collect balls for a multiball? Like in classic pinball machines like Star Trek TNG or Black Knight 2000. So one hard to reach hole will collect up to 2 balls and once the third comes in, the hole will spawn all three balls at oncefor a multiball

Thanks for your help!

5. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

1) I wonder if it is possible to use a toy animation linked to missions, which hides a certain place.
    It is a good idea but for the moment animations are not initialized when player lose a ball.
    For the moment animations connected to mission are use to play one shot animation (for example the star fish on slingshot (Octpopus Island )).

2) Is it possible to have a Hole collect balls for a multiball?
    Yes ;) it is possible. Select the number of time the ball need to enter the hole then choose how many ball are used for the multiball.
    (However the ball that have been catch could not stay visible on board)

For the highscore actually there is a leaderboard (maybe Highscore should be a better name).
    You could access the leaderboard on scene LCD Full UI (Project tab : Pinball Creator -> Demo -> LCD Full UI)

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 15.31.01.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 15.31.15.jpg
    The system to enter your name and score is setup on scene MM_Table_01 MM_Table_02 and MM_Table_03
    (Project tab : Pinball Creator -> Demo -> )

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 15.32.04.jpg

Hope it helps :)

karaokefreak likes this.
  6. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Awesome!
    Thanks a lot for the support. I'll be off designing my machine :D
    There is still a lot to do!
    FanradioFlipper-AlphaVersion2.jpg

7. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Do you plan on adding different sized pinball cabinets?

8. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,
    Which size of pinball do you want ?

9. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Mainly a wider one. I think Atari's Middle Earth was a wider one, Contact was I think, among others (and of course Hercules was the largest pinball game but that was more a gimmick and not something I am interested in.)

10. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,

We start a new wider version of cabinet.
    Hope you like it.

Wide_Cabinet.jpg

StevenPicard and Firlefanz73 like this.
  11. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Yes! That'll be awesome! Thanks!

12. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hi Guys
    Sorry for asking questions that you might consider stupid, but your documentation is so big that it is hard to find certain things. You might want to re-structurize your manual and add an FAQ or something... ever thought of making a video or two?

Anyway. I love this asset and it is worth every penny. Still, I have a few questions.

1) Can you please tell me where I can change the LCD entry for unsorted Rollover Missions? At the Moment, the LCD display will spell the word WOR - with each letter representing one rollover trigger. I want to change the letters. Is this one of the animations? It doesn't seem so at first glance since there is not much happening with those three letters.

2) Since I aim for mobile use on cell phones, I need to reposition the camera in the Plunger-View, since you cannot use the plunger when the perspective is set to portrait mode. I need to move the camera a little nudge to the right. How can I achieve that?

Thanks for your help

13. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think for the plunger it will be easier to just touch antwhere on the screen not only the object of rhe plunger.

Because the player does not have to do anything else anyway except for launching the ball.

14. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

1) Change Rollover Text (If you have already created the mission) :
    -Select your mission in the Hierarchy.
    - In the Inspector go to Mission_Txt array.
    -Change the element 11 (spot 1)

02.jpg

Other Possibility (if you are going to create a mission using script Mission_Creator):
    Example with scene Project tab : Pinball Creator -> Assets -> Scenes -> Start_Pinball_Desktop
    -Select the mission creator in the Hierarchy (spot 1).
    -In the Inspector you will find options to setup the text depending the mechanic type.

03.jpg

2) You could add an offset when the device is in Portrait mode :
    -In the Hierarchy select Pivot_Cam (Spot 1)
    -Change value in Offset Portrait View Position in the inspector(spot 2)

01.jpg

15. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

For now it is possible to increase a little bit the size of the plunger collider button.
    But ok, we note your sugggestion .

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  16. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi there,

New wider cabinet is ready. We will submit it to the store as soon as possible.

Wide_Cabinet_03.jpg

StevenPicard likes this.
  17. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

That's great news!

18. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,

New version with wide cabinet is actually waiting for approval.

19. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Is there a way to slow down the ball a bit? perhaps with the physics settings in unity?
    I like it to be a bit slower on my iPhone, as right now the ball is very fast and realistic but its a bit hard to follow on a small device.

20. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Awesome support!! Thank you guys.

I am getting along now and I think I have most things covered. Still, I have a follow up question and I'd like to aks you for something to come in the next iteration of this asset.

---> It would be great if you offered another view for the plunger start. A bird's eye view would be much better, specially when the player could grab the plunger itself and pull it down the screen. This would also make it easier to get skill shots done.
    Plunger1better.jpg

My first question concerns the LCD for Rollover once more. I found the entry for the special word, just where you showed me. However, I altered the colour of my LCD-Display to be more red-ish. Everything is fine so far EXCEPT the display of the special word for the rollover, which is still in the old orange. Where can I change that special type of LCD display?
    LCD-DIsplay.jpg

My second question is a little embarrassing since I thought I could figure it out myself. I would like to change my Pinball into a football, but ONLY for this one table. Changing the texture doesn't work since unity's standard sphere has some weird UV layout. When I tried to exchange the mesh, the ball wouldn't turn or spin any more. So which object do I need to exchange if I want to turn the ball into a soccer ball? I need to do it in a second prefab anyway, since I want to keep the normal ball for other tables.

Thanks for your help and sorry for annoying the heck out of you ;)

21. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

LOL. I was thinking of American football until you said soccer ball later on. I was thinking "That wouldn't roll too good." :D

22. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi Lars-Steenhoff,

The ball were been one of the most difficult thing we had been to tweak in Pinball Creator.
    You could try to change these variables to have a ball a little slower.

1- Reduce a little bit the flippers force.
    -Select your Flipper in the Hierarchy Tab (spot 1)
    -In the Hinge Joint section reduce the target velocity (spot 2) For example 2000

01.jpg

2- Reduce a little bit the ball speed
    -Select the ball you want to use in the Project Tab (spot 1)
    - In the Inspector Change Max Speed (Spot 2) Example 2.8 not more

01Bis.jpg

3- Increase the table angle a little bit.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  23. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

View attachment 264611

My second question is a little embarrassing since I thought I could figure it out myself. I would like to change my Pinball into a football, but ONLY for this one table. Changing the texture doesn't work since unity's standard sphere has some weird UV layout. When I tried to exchange the mesh, the ball wouldn't turn or spin any more. So which object do I need to exchange if I want to turn the ball into a soccer ball? I need to do it in a second prefab anyway, since I want to keep the normal ball for other tables.

Thanks for your help and sorry for annoying the heck out of you [/QUOTE]

Hi karaokefreak,

First Question :
    You’re right, the code force the color in this case. Send us your e-mail in PM and I will send you a custom version of the script that allow you to change the color in this case.

Second Question :
    1-Add your 3D ball model as a child of the ball (Spot 1). Don’t forget to remove the collider of your 3D Models.
    2-Save this new ball as a prefab. Drag and drop your gameObject from the Hierarchy tab to the Project tab (spot 2).

02.jpg

3- Select in the Hierarchy tab Manager_Game (spot 1)
    4-Drag and drop your new ball in the Inspector slot Ball (spot 2).

02Bis.jpg

24. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi there,

The new version with wide cabinet is released.

A new starter kit scene have been created for this new cabinet (Collider / Camera ready to use):
    In project tab open scene : Start_Pinball_Desktop_Wide
    Pinball Creator > Assets > Scenes > Start_Pinball_Desktop_Wide

Have fun;)

StevenPicard and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  25. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Great stuff... is there a mobile version of the wide table coming? It should work with tablets in terms of screenspace. When I convert all assets from desktop to mobile with your tool, I get weird lighting effects on the plateau.

26. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Question: is it possible to configure a control scheme which works for Joypads and keyboard at the same time? Example: I want to have the left flipper on S and joypad button 4... It works with each alone by now, but not both simultaniously, since I guess the public variables just accept one input.

27. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

In the documentation Part 2 (page 147) we explain how to setup the gamepad.

- Create two inputs with the same name in the InputManager. (For example : LeftFlipper , LeftFlipper)
    - Setup the first input for the gamepad.
    - Setup the second input for the desktop.

28. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

karaokefreak you're right,
    We submit a new version with the update for mobile version. (It could take about 2 days).

29. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

I think I found a Bug
    When you use a Kickback and uncheck the box "Begin with Kickback" in the Mission options, the LEDs of the Kickback will turn off, but the RIGHT Kickback will still work when the ball hits it for the first time. The left Kickback is deactivated as it should be

30. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Yes you're right.
    We modified the script and we will submit the new version ASAP . Thanks for report that bug !

31. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

There is another problem / bug to be solved:
    The multiball spring doesn't seem to work right. The first and second ball will be pushed on the playfield, but the third ball is stuck and will only come out if one of the first balls falls into the pit. I can make a video of that behaviour if you want me to.

32. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

P_Multi_Ball that manage how the plunger eject the ball is not at the good position (only for the wide cabinet).

1-Select p_Multi_Ball in the Hierarchy (spot 1).
    2-Change the transform position (spot 2).
    You should see the trigger (spot 3)

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 10.21.58.jpg

33. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

pMultiPosition.jpg pMultiPosition.jpg
    Well... the problem occurs in the small (normal) Cabinet, so the coordinats you gave me are not useful...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  34. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi Karaokefreak,

We can not reproduce the issue. Could you test this:

- Open Start_Pinball_Desktop scene (Pinball Creator > Assets > Scenes > Start_Pinball_Desktop)
    - Create this mission with Mission Creator:

Mission_Multiball.jpg

Is the problem still present ?

35. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

The problem does not occur in Desktop Mode. However, I design in Mobile-Mode. I have to try changing it to mobile assets... hang on

36. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Here is a video which shows what happens

37. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Okay, I checked it out with the Mobile Start-Scene. It happenes there as well! So it is a problem of the mobile table asset or the mobile ball. Here is the video

38. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Your video doesn't seem not to work.

The mobile scene (Start_Pinball_Mobile ) work for me too.
    But as shown in the image below the gizmo named "Multi Ball" need to be at the right place in the plunger. Is this the case for you ?

MultiBall_Gizmo.jpg

39. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

P-Multi22.jpg Okay, i changed the settings of both videos.. can you watch them now?

And Yes, the position of plunger and p_multi trigger are the same in my workspace.

40. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

First of all your pinball looks great!

The problem seems to be the position of Multi Ball Spawn
    As shown in the image below , change Z position of Multi_Ball_Spawn to 0.0187

Multi_ball_Spawn.jpg

Does that solve the problem?

41. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Unfortunately it does not, since the Multiball Spawn already has that exact position :(

42. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

ok. Could you send us your scene by mail to check if we could find what happen ?

43. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

I'd be open for a workaround. Isa it possible to have a multiball spawn from a Hole?

Yes, I will send you my scene...

44. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

I sent you a private message. Thanks for your support.

45. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hey Tropical Studio
    I know, I've been bugging you with requests, but not because the asset is flawed - I do it because I love it so much and I dig deeper and deeper into it. After all, I am a pinball fan who played a huge number of tables. Now I want to make my own, and I hope for more!

This is why I come up with a wishlist for future updates that could make your asset even better

1) Something easy: Let the skillshot have an optional secondary sound effect
    I have a skillshot Hole that also serves as a normal Hole. The Skillshot has a time limit, so it would be nice if the skillshot would be rewarded with a different sound effect. After all, it is only available in the first few seconds of each round. So what I need is an option to disable the normal mission of the hole as long as the skillshot countdown is active.

2) The Super Mission --> Mission classes that allow multiple missions for one hole / target / spinner
    I think it would be easy to setup you kept your missions as they are now and just add another class for so called "Super Missions" . So you add a checkbox on each Hole /Target / Spinner that confirms the option of being part of a super mission, and a public variable for entry of an empty that defines the super Mission via script.

A Super Mission could be something like
    "Hit all holes on the table" --> / in a time limit of x / within the lifespan of one ball / within the whole playtime

or

"Hit all holes on the table" after starting super mission by hitting target X

or

"Complete Missions A, B and C in order to start Mission D"

The Holes in use still have their normal function for their normal missions, but count for another "bigger" mission at the same time
    This would be great, especially in order to create higher challenges to get a Multiball

3) Movable objects for (super) missions
    Along with the Super Missions there should be an option to have an object moved or turned. Like a door that opens or a wall that comes down. There is no need for real animation data. all it needs is an offset-feature, very much like you do it with your camera.

--> Super mission x solved --> offset object Y coordinates or turn by X degrees

The offset / rotation value returns to 0 when a time limit runs out / the mission is finished / the ball is lost

4) Status Missions
    Status missions are similar to the multiplier. But they don't reset when a ball is lost. They rise all the time. Status missions need ranks with names, The game starts always in the lowest rank
    ---> Private, Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant
    ---> First League, Second League, third League
    ---> Formula3000, Formula 2, Formula 1

corresponding to that they should have big special LEDs that can be placed anywhere on the table --> very similar to the Multiplier, plus an LCD Text

When solved they should raise the score for each normal target (not for missions, only the targets themselves) by a percent value.
    Example:
    Rank No 1: Bumper Hit 1000 Points
    Rank No 2: Bumper Hit (varable) + 10% = 1100 Points
    Rank No 3 Bumper Hit (variable) + 15 % = 1150 Points

The most important part of this is the feeling of progression in the game. You earn somethiung that lasts for a long time.
    It could also hide certain missions. So Mission X is only available if you reached rank 2 or 3..

5) A normal button OR a different view for the plunger in mobile mode
    No matter how I put the camera or how big I make the trigger, on a cellphone it is always a hassle to use the plunger. So I request a top down view or a button in the Hud for plunger use.

6) An optional seconday music for mission parts
    Having a multiball or a time limit should be working with the music in many cases, So missions should allow to change the BG music, when started. This should be only available for missions that can't be paused.

7) Remember the last used camera angle after leaderboard entry
    As of now, when you typed your name for the leaderboard and start the game again, the camera will be reset to camera angle 1. It would be great if the game remembered the last position before the leaderboard entry

8) A simple options menu
    Accessible via pause screen, there should be an extra options menu for

- music volume
    - favorite camera angle for this table
    - Ball reset (see point 9)

9) Ball reset
    A table should always be so well designed that the ball stays in motion, however, even on the best tables, a ball can get stuck somewhere in unpredictable places.where pushing the table won't help. So there should be a ball reset option in the options menu (see above).

When used, the game should check the balls velocity. if the balls velocity is 0 for more than 2 seconds, then the ball will be spawned again in the plunger. However, ball reset does not work with a ball in the plunger and it does not work in the area of flippers

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    ina likes this.
  46. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

ina likes this.
  47. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Aaaargh..... I think I broke your game ..... :( I have another bug. The Score system doesn't work anymore. The game will count score as long a the game lasts, but the result screen will always show the score of 0 points..

what did I break? How do I fix it?
    It worked for a long time but suddenly stopped working

NoHighscore.jpg
    Error List.jpg
    My error List might be of help

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  48. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

@karaokefreak

Hi,

The reason why the score does not work seems to be that there is a lot of bug in your scene.

Try to test yours missions one by one. If you find an issue recreate this mission.

If you can't solve the problem, i encourage you to recreate your project from scratch.

49. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hi again
    You were right. the missing score came from a mission with wrong settings. I repaired it and the errors are gone.

But I might have found another bug

When I set up the mission "Hole3 rollover1" with a multiball, then triggering the jackpot with the rollover seems to make no sound effect when player has the jackpot (= mission is complete). So as of now, I can't create n audible sign when the player the Jackpot. I checked it - the jackpot feature works, score is added and the LCD display flashes. There is just no sound, although I set a sound effect to "Mission Complete"!

50. Tropical-Studio

Tropical-Studio

Hi,

Actually there is no sound fx for jackpot.

unityunity