Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] PIDI - XFur Studio. Please follow the link inside to XFur Studio 2, our new version

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by IrrSoft, Apr 11, 2018.

1. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

This tool has now been deprecated. Please follow this link to get information about XFur Studio 2, our brand new product and the next evolution of XFur Studio

ORIGINAL POST :

XFur Studio was a finalist of the Unity Awards for Best Artistic Tool 2018
    IMPORTANT NOTE : This asset is NOT compatible with SRP pipelines

XFur studio is the ultimate solution for fur in Unity. This system comes with everything you need to add realistic, high quality fur to any 3D model or character in minutes.

Packed with features, fully documented and including tutorials and detailed explanations, XFur Studio is the only tool you need to add incredible fur to all your games.

IMPORTANT : This tool is NOT compatible with any SRP features nor are there plans to support them in the near future

Features :
    • Support for advanced wind effects
    • Support for dynamic snow and rain
    • Support for movement and animation influenced physics without any need for a rigidbody!
    • Fully managed LOD module
    • Advanced shadows that display and affect every fur strand
    • Profiles based fur management
    • Per-instance parameters
    • Multi-material support
    • Multi-coloring support
    • Color randomization
    • Improved VR, OpenGL and Forward compatibility
    • Advanced fur shaders for forward and deferred pipelines with support for shadows, anisotropic highlights, double sided fur, triplanar projections and more.
    • *Full lighting and shadows support in deferred and forward pipelines
    • Includes a fully functional 3D fur painting tool that allows you to add fur and control all its settings by painting directly over your model's surface...inside the Unity Editor!
    • Fur can be groomed in any direction all inside the Unity Editor!
    • Fully compatible with all Unity PostProcess effects.
    • Support for advanced PBR features such as global illumination, light and reflection probes, etc. (light probes are not available on deferred mode)
    • Full support for static and skinned meshes
    • Several quality levels included for a perfect balance between quality and performance
    • Compatible with DirectX, OpenGL and Stereoscopic rendering
    • Full user manual and documentation included

XFur Studio is the perfect solution to add realistic fur to all your characters and creatures without any need for additional tools, troublesome texturing processes nor difficult to set up shaders.

For mobile projects, we recommend you XFur Mobile

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Neviah likes this.
  2. evand

evand

Do you have a video of something like the bison at the bottom doing a walking animation with the fur + wind?

IrrSoft likes this.
  3. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Right at this moment no, but I have a video from a pre-release version here with the bison and an idle animation:

But I will upload a video of the bison walking with the effects visible in some hours so you can see it better :)

(right now it is past 2am so I'm not on my PC to record)

Wind has a global defined direction so it is independent from the model's orientation, just like the physics based movement :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  4. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Here is a small video showing the walking animation and the wind affecting the fur. The wind has been set to a quite strong value to make the movement more evident in the video and the scene doesn't have global illumination enabled yet (since it is the demo scene of the bison model which is part of another package)

We hope it helps :)

evand and Mark_01 like this.
  5. ferretnt

ferretnt

Can you confirm full source code (i.e. no DLLs) and no shader obfuscation (shaders being real-world, uncommented, macro'd code is fine, purposefully renaming variables to xxxyyzzzzzzaaa isn't.)

IrrSoft likes this.
  6. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Shader's code is not obfuscated and source code is available yes (since actually most of the tools come in the form of shaders). Code is not fully commented but it is commented in part and explained in the manual.

Code for XFur Painter is also available though should not be modified as this may break future updates and new features coming later.

For internal use in your project the source code and shaders code are fully available for any modifications / improvements you may need (no need to request nor contact us, it is already included in the actual asset as normal shaders and .cs files) :)

I do not recommend to do heavy modifications to the main CG file included since that could make it difficult for you to update to newer versions (which will be released regularly) but all the code included with this package is available to be modified, improved or adapted to your project. If you HAVE to modify the base CG file, I recommend you to make a backup of all modifications so they don't get overwritten when updating to newer versions of XFur.

EDIT : I don't really like to obfuscate nor hide the code since I know fully well how difficult it is to work with a fully closed tool, so no worries. The code for all our tools is available for modifications, improvements and to easily add compatibility with your project :)

And if you need a new feature or have a request for something feel free to contact me since through requests is how we've improved a lot most of our tools and add many cool and new features as months go by! :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  7. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Yes, the length / thickness / occlusion-shadowing of the fur can be controlled precisely through either hand-made fur maps or by using the included XFur Painter and paint the length of the fur directly over your mesh. If you watch the XFurPainter video in the post at around the 1 minute mark you can see how the length is controlled by painting over the mesh :)

8. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

Are there any plans for groomed fur?
    By that, I mean support for non-straight hair as animals don't always have straight hair.

What about support for in-game fur editing, like color, shape, size and groom?
    Is that planned?

9. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

The shader already supports fur grooming direction (currently 1 global direction for the whole fur but a multi-directional per-pixel control is planned and currently in the works for the next version).

The XFur Painter tool (the tool that allows you to paint fur directly over the mesh) is designed to work only inside the Unity Editor. However, all variables of the shader are publicly available so changing the fur's color, length etc is as easy as changing these values on the material through code / animation etc. :)

XFur Painter uses only the publicly available variables of the shader as well as well documented and explained features of Unity that can be adapted and recreated in-game

If you need to add complex fur edition in-game (for example a barbershop simulator/custom hairstyles creator for in-game avatars etc) we suggest that you use XFurPainter's code as a starting point to see how it handles texture editing, variables control and how it interacts as a whole with the shaders. A full on solution to edit fur in-game would be quite specific for each project but all the starting tools and pieces are already available to control most of the fur features directly on your own code :)

If needed, of course, we can expose more variables and we will indeed improve and unify the tools and controls to allow for even easier in-game control over the fur as we update the tool over the next weeks and months with new features :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  10. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Due to some technical issues on the asset store, this asset is not displaying correctly and cannot be bought since the "Add to Cart" button is not loading correctly. We have contacted Unity and they told us that this issue will be solved very soon. This issue is affecting a good number of assets. If you are having troubles to buy XFur Studio we ask you to please be patient as we wait for the Unity Team to fix this issue on the Asset Store.

Thank you for reading.

11. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Just to inform you :
    The issue is still unsolved but you can access to this asset and purchase it if you switch to the old version of the Asset Store on your browser. Hope it helps! :)

12. Mark_01

Mark_01

I am glad I got Xfur Studio yesterday on the " old store " Personally I do not like the new " beta store " at all.

I loaded Xfur fast yesterday , as time for me for the next while is very limited. I had the time to load the LOD demo
    and it looks fantastic !!! I do not know how to code at all, so sorry if i ask some questions that a appear stupid.

Just wanted to pop in and say Xfur Studio is great. Congratulations on this release. It will be very fun and nice to
    have fur / hair on models. I am very happy to be able to have and use this.

IrrSoft likes this.
  13. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

Thank you for your comment, I am glad to hear that you like XFur and that you could get it without issues and try it :)

Yes, the beta store has had quite a lot of issues recently, hopefully it can be fixed and solved soon and smoothly. Also do not worry about any questions you have, we'll do our best to answer them and to improve the tool to make it as easy to use as possible to all users regardless of their experience with C# :)

Thanks again for your comment and purchase, I hope XFur will be very helpful for your projects!

Mark_01 likes this.
  14. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Issue has been solved and package should be now available in both versions of the Asset Store :)

15. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

Do you have any plans to offer an evaluation version?
    I don't mind limitations, I just want to test-case this asset before I buy it because I am pretty much sold :D

16. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

Multi-directional grooming functionality would be an instant buy for me :D

I see, I will definitely need to investigate re-creating such things in-game.

IrrSoft likes this.
  17. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Sadly, I don't think I can provide an evaluation version without either giving away the whole thing for free or completely redesigning it to limit some of the features. But since it is a shader based package turning off features without completely redesigning the software is not an easy task :(

But do not worry, full support for all our tools and assets is guaranteed and for some of them we have been able to give one on one support or updates for an easier integration to customer's projects so if there are any issues when integrating XFur to your project a simple support request will be enough to get assistance shortly after :)

That's good to know, since the multidirectional grooming is looking quite well on the upcoming version and I am right now working on integrating it into XFur Painter to be able to actually "groom" the hair using the mouse :D

Should be ready in a couple of weeks :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  18. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Upcoming updates in version 1.05, which will be sent for approval before the end of April :
    • Multi-directional grooming
    • Improved LOD script
    • Improved XFur Painter with support for grooming and improved UI.
    • New anisotropic based lighting model for better fur. In BETA, might be pushed back to version 1.1
    • Auto UV mapping for models with troublesome UV coordinates that cannot be edited (such as some models bought through the Asset Store). In BETA, might be pushed back to version 1.1
    • Small improvements on performance

Mark_01 likes this.
  19. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Nice to see this asset up and running! Easy, high-quality fur assets were almost extinct for a while there. :)

I know you're closely following SRP development. Have you looked into having XFur support either of the render loops yet? I'm assuming HDRP will still be a mess for several more months, so it might not make sense to even attempt that one yet, but maybe the LWRP?

Thanks in advance. :)

IrrSoft likes this.
  20. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there, and thank you for your interest in this tool :)
    Right now I'm focused on making this tool as feature rich and stable on the default pipeline first but indeed I'm also looking into lwrp to port this shader as well as my planar reflection and skin shaders. It may still be a few months ahead, but a lwrp version is in the works :)

It's taking a bit mostly due to current limits on shader development in this pipeline, but it is being worked on :)

Thanks for your comment!

Mark_01 and chiapet1021 like this.
  21. gecko

gecko

This looks very interesting! Can you provide any more information on performance?

And I'm not really familiar with pixel shaders....do all dedicated GPUs include them now, or only some?

Do you know if it works with Mac Metal (which currently doesn't support tessellation?)

IrrSoft likes this.
  22. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

All integrated and dedicated graphics cards have support for pixel shaders since a good while ago. The version of pixel shader supported as well as the speed that they can be executed with is different from graphics card to graphics card.

I cannot confirm if the shader works with Metal as I do not own any Macintosh hardware, but the shader is fully compatible with both DirectX and OpenGL so it should be no issue for it to run on Metal. It doesn't use any tesellation features so no problems there either :)

About the performance, it depends on several things :
    • Amount of samples (passes) that the shader uses. In the package you have versions with 4,8 and 16 passes. The higher the number of passes the more demanding the shader becomes.
    • Size of the furry object relative to the screen. In some graphics cards, the closer you are to the fur or the larger the object appears on screen, the more demanding the shader gets. This is due mostly to the use of transparencies and can be reduced if you use deferred rendering.
    • Amount of furry characters. If you are rendering many furry characters at once this can affect the performance (take more than 80-100 on screen characters as many characters)
    • More than 2 lights and shadows affecting the furry objects at once. The shader gets more demanding with each light (in forward mode) and shadow that it needs to cast (both in deferred and forward) so be careful with that.

In my own tests using a laptop with a GeForce GTX 1050 (around the same performance as the GTX660) I can render up to 180 instances of the bison shown in the videos and screenshots above while keeping a framerate above 120 frames per second inside the Unity Editor. I believe the performance in the build will be even higher.

The shader is also compatible with Integrated graphics cards but it is noticeable slower in those, so you should always use lower sample amounts in integrated graphics cards, use the included LOD scripts and warn your end users that a dedicated graphics card with support for Pixel shader version 3.0 is recommended :)

I will try to compile an demo either today or tomorrow so you can see for yourself the performance of the tool more easily :)

Thanks for your interest and for commenting!

Mark_01 likes this.
  23. gecko

gecko

thanks for the quick reply. definitely interested, but a demo would be really nice. Also: We are currently using heightmaps to control the fur length across the mesh. That's the same as the fur map option, right?

I'd love to see the documentation if you're willing to share it....or at least the inspector panels?

IrrSoft likes this.
  24. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi again,

There are not many inspector panels per se, since most of the tool is based on shaders so most of the interfaces are the standard Shader interfaces. Here you have an example of one of them :

These options can be set by hand in the material or controlled with far more precision by using a fur map (the last texture slot).

Our fur maps are a bit more complex than just heightmaps since they store information for length, thickness, shadowing and mask on them. In the next version a secondary fur map will contain fur direction and scaling. The recommended way to generate fur maps for this shader is to use XFur Painter to create them but you can easily convert existing heightmaps into XFur compatible fur maps by storing the heightmap data into the green channel and setting all the other channels to white. If you need help with this you can contact me and I can give you a small tutorial on how to convert them using GIMP :)

Which makes me think it may be a good idea to add a simple auto-conversion tool to make this easier....it will be included in the next version, do not worry :)

Hope this helps!

Mark_01 likes this.
  25. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Updated updates list!
    • Multi-directional grooming
    • Improved LOD script
    • Improved XFur Painter with support for grooming and improved UI.
    • New anisotropic based lighting model for better fur. In BETA, might be pushed back to version 1.1
    • Auto UV mapping for models with troublesome UV coordinates that cannot be edited (such as some models bought through the Asset Store). In BETA, might be pushed back to version 1.1
    • Small improvements on performance
    • Conversion tool to easily turn existing textures into XFur compatible fur maps.
    • Fur color tiling has been made independent from main texture tiling to allow more customization

Mark_01 likes this.
  26. Mark_01

Mark_01

This is so good and I am sure it will get better as time goes on. I am very glad I took the plunge and got this.
    I will put up a review some time in the coming week. To any watching this thread...
    I am sure the price could go up too.. It is a very well thought out tool, with a lot of possibilities, with new cool updates coming. As soon as I can find the time next week, i will put in a proper review. I am just thinking on wording.

IrrSoft likes this.
  27. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Here are two demos. Be warned though that they are a bit heavy since they are using high end features (shadows, several lights, post process, 16 samples) and one of them is compiled for a relatively slower platform (WebGL). Hopefully they will help give you an idea about if your graphics card can handle it well :)

To run the demo apps at full speed I recommend the following specs which are similar to the ones used for testing :

Intel Core i5 7300HQ (2.5Ghz)
    GeForce GTX 1050 (2GB)
    8GB in RAM
    Windows 10

DirectX11 version
    WebGL version

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  28. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

awesome tool. is there any plan to support mobile devices in future.

IrrSoft likes this.
  29. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there!

Thank you for your comment! :)

I do plan indeed to release a mobile version of this tool in the not so distant future, though that will require completely different algorithms and lighting functions ONLY for mobile. This means that most of the package will need to be re-designed so the only thing I am not sure about is if the mobile version will be included in this same package (with maybe a small price rise?) or if it will be its own package due to the many differences that there will be between both versions, but mobile support is indeed planned for the not so distant future :)

30. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Thank for the quick replay:)

IrrSoft likes this.
  31. gecko

gecko

Thanks for posting those demos, but I am unable to unzip either one, getting errors.

32. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

They were compressed in 7zip but in zip format. Maybe this is causing the error? Here is another link to it, uncompressed :)

DirectX11 version
    WebGL version

EDIT : WinRar gave me errors when trying to unzip the other files so I reuploaded the compressed versions as well in a far more compatible Zip format :)

Just tested the compressed versions and they are working better now with WinRar and Windows default unzip software :)

Hope this helps!

33. gecko

gecko

Thanks, that works, and was a lot of fun to play around with. Is there, or will there be, a way to make the fur tapered toward the tips? That frizzy-tip look is not ideal. (Maybe the frizziness is more pronounced with the wind? The fur in the bison video looks better, though it's so dark I can't really tell what the fur looks like.)

34. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

There are several ways to fix the look of the fur that you get with this shader, from using different noise textures (though the bison is using the default one!) to just adjusting the material parameters (especially the fur "Thickness" parameter) and taking a little time to work with XFur Painter to get the result that you want :)

This model is using the very very basic and default settings of the shader with no tampering so you can get exactly the look you want with the fur. The shader supports it already, it is just a matter of working with the tool and maps to get the exact result you want :)

I'm glad that you liked the software!

EDIT : Here is a really close close up shot from the fur in the same scene I sent you after I tampered a bit with the material's fur thickness. In the upcoming update there is an even higher sample count shader (24 samples) and a smoother tapering curve which will give an even smoother result, but as you can see here the shader already supports tapered fur, it just wasn't turned all the way up in the demo scene I posted :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  35. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Slightly clearer example of Fur Thickness in action (just with the material slider, no painting nor advanced tweaking)

Thickness set to 0 :

Thickness set to 0.5 :

Again, this thickness ramp is being made smoother for even more precise control, but tapered fur is already possible in version 1.0 of XFur :)

Fur looks softer and thinner in Forward rendering due to the support of full transparencies. In deferred (such as in the demos) the fur looks a bit coarser but has the bonus of better performance :)

36. gecko

gecko

Thanks for those examples -- very nice! But are those in Forward? We're using Deferred.

Earlier you mentioned the cost of shadows -- is it possible to have the shadows ignore the fur, just cast the shadow of the mesh?

Mark_01 likes this.
  37. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Both examples work in both forward and deferred modes, the difference is the path that the shader itself uses. This one, the bison one and the demos are all rendered in deferred mode :)

About the shadows :
    Deferred rendering makes ALL objects receive shadows. This is not something you can disable on the shader itself, as it is handled by Unity on its own. If you disable shadows, the shader will fallback to forward mode automatically again thanks to the way Unity handles things.

Casting shadows is not too expensive, receiving them is the expensive part as it requires a re-draw of the mesh and all its passes. In deferred, there is no way to avoid that. However, if your scene is casting shadows only with a few lights affecting the mesh directly there should be no problem performance wise :)

EDIT :
    To be a bit clearer, in deferred mode there is no way to disable shadow receiving since that is a limit in Unity's deferred pipeline.

The shader's are the same in forward and deferred mode, they just change the way they handle transparency. In deferred mode, the hair looks less soft (for the way Unity handles transparency being limited in deferred mode) but it can be tapered all the same :)

In version 1.05 I am adding new noise maps for different fur styles so you can have even more variety to choose from :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  38. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Just as a small additional tip, if your target platform supports Unity's PostFX stack and you enable Antialiasing in deferred (especially the temporal antialiasing) you can get a very soft and even better look for the fur in deferred compared to forward rendering :)

upload_2018-4-17_11-49-52.png

EDIT : Here is a small video showing the fur rendered in deferred mode with temporal antialiasing enabled :)

Malbers and Mark_01 like this.
  39. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Thank you for your kind words, I am glad that XFur has been useful to you and to see you are liking it so far :)

Hope all the new features coming will be exiting for everyone! :D

Mark_01 likes this.
  40. gecko

gecko

thanks for the videos, that does look promising...but could you crank up the lighting? They're awfully dark (as are all the model shots for your products on the asset store) -- really hard to see any detail. :/

41. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

I just checked in other devices and the lighting does seem fine to me, if I crank it up it starts to over-bright noticeably....maybe your screen has a lower brightness?

In any case, I am preparing new screenshots for this thread with a higher brightness :)

42. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Here is the video again, with a higher brightness and contrast :)

Malbers and Mark_01 like this.
  43. gecko

gecko

Okay, I got it, playing around with it. Could you share the material settings for the monkey video above? I can't get that dense, plush look..

Also, I tried another animal, and the fur on it is blowing excessively in the wind, while in the same scene, the fur on the wolf barely moves in the wind. Why would the wind effect be so different on them? Wind is set to 0,0,0,0 on both materials.

thanks
    Dave

Attached Files:

44. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Sure enough! I will send you the material settings and a different Fur Noise map texture that might help you in a PM. The wind settings are controlled through a script called XFur_Wind.

The value that appears in 0,0,0 in the material's interface is dedicated to physics movement, not to wind. Wind is set up globally through the XFur_Wind script.

It can be affected due to the meshes scales (models should always be kept at a scale 1,1,1 for better results). In case this difference is TOO intense I am sending you a modified version of the shader through PM as well that comes with a dedicated slider for wind strength so you can adjust it more easily on a per-material basis. This slider will show up on v. 1.05 but I am zipping it right now to send it to you to see if it fixes your issue :)

If you can PM me an email address to send you patches/updates if needed as that would be great and much easier to keep track and give you better support, but for now I will send them to you through a PM :)

Hope it helps, and thank you for your purchase!

45. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Is it mobile compatible? (High-end mobile)

46. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

It is compatible in the sense that it will render and be visible on mobile, however it is demanding on hardware and has been designed for desktop platforms.

I'm not sure if you can run the webgl demo posted above on mobile but I'll try to build a mobile demo to test performance :)

In short, it will run on high end mobile devices but the performance may be low if you use the 8-16 sample versions.

Hope it helps!

47. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Thanks.
    Lightning speed reply.:)

48. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

No problem :)

It is a bit late here so the demo will not be ready until tomorrow, but I will tag you when I post it here so you can see it and test if it runs well on your mobile device before taking any decision about if XFur is right for your project :)

Thanks for commenting!

TechnicalArtist likes this.
  49. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

Here is a link to the Android demo. It didn't render in any of my devices since I don't own any high end mobile devices but since it is compatible with OpenGL it should, in theory, display on a high end mobile device. I leave it here so you can test it and see if it works for your device :)

Again, however, this tool is not designed for mobile and the mobile-specific version will be developed at a later date.

Hope it helps!

50. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Thanks.I will check.

IrrSoft likes this.