Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] PIDI - XFur Studio. Please follow the link inside to XFur Studio 2, our new version

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by IrrSoft, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Zakzdad_

Zakzdad_

Just got Xfur Mobile and think it's excellent! A really great plugin nice work :)

2. Zakzdad_

Zakzdad_

Hi I just got Xfur Mobile and think it's great! I'm getting results I'm really happy with! Great work!

2 questions:

1) Is there a way to disable fur color A and Fur Color B and just use the map? Right now they clash with the Fur Color Map and as the fur changes color in different areas it is impossible to find 1 color that matches everywhere.

2) I had the FX Module Enabled and had the wind strength on. It was looking great, I saved my work and when I reopened Unity the wind no longer works. Is there some way to get it going again?

3. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there, and thank you very much for your purchase. It is great to hear that our product is giving you the results you wanted :)

We invite you to contact us to our support email to get additional information and assistance and to post on the XFur Mobile thread where you can find more specific information for that product, since there are some differences between both XFur versions.

Our support email is support at irreverent-software.com
    The mobile thread is here

However, regarding your questions :

- FurColorA and B influence cannot be disabled (for now, this may be added in an upcoming update on early March). However, you can use only FurColorA by making sure that the Fur generation map (the texture called XFur_FurLayersX) has the blue channel set to 0. In any image edition software, painting the blue channel black will ensure that only the FurColorA has influence over the fur color, and setting this FurColorA to a gray (128,128,128,255) will make it have absolutely no effect over the texture. Some FurLayer textures such as XFur_FurLayers3 already have the blue channel blacked out.

- For the wind to work you need to have a WeatherSystem component attached to any object in your scene, since this is the object that controls the global wind strength.

We hope this helps, and thank you very much again for your purchase. We are very glad to hear you are enjoying to work with XFur! :)

4. iMello

iMello

Hey, so, I've been trying to figure out how to use this asset for awhile now, and have tried my best to follow the guides, but... the grooming tool just absolutely does not work for me, no matter what I do, and I'm not entirely sure of what I'm supposed to be doing. I was given this asset by the lead developer of the game we're working on, it was purchased for the development team's use for said game, so I don't know if maybe something is just missing from the file I was sent??

But like... if I add the painter component, and go into play mode, it doesn't actually let me do any of the painting and grooming. I can't move the camera, or anything, there's no background except the default unity scene background of a blank skybox and grid floor. There is no "painter window". I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do here, and the documentation isn't giving me any answers...

5. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

We ask you to please contact us to our support email with the following information :

- Unity version you are using
    - XFur version you are using
    - Invoice PDF as you received it when buying the tool
    - XFur Studio uses a per-seat license since a while ago. If you have a valid Site license however, we will also need you to CC the email conversation to the email registered / linked to the purchase as part of our verification process. We will provide you additional information about this once we receive your email to open your support ticket

We hope this helps, and that you have a great day
    Irreverent Software

6. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

With many of us having to stay at home at the moment, we know that some are using this time to work on their projects and games.

In order to help your development needs, many of our tools and assets have discounts starting today and until April 2nd!
    XFur Mobile - Standard Edition is now available with a 30% off, so you can get it for only 35 USD.
    XFur Studio has a 50% off, being available for only 25 USD
    PIDI Planar Reflections 3 - Lite Edition has a 30% off, being available now for 10 USD
    PIDI 2D Reflections 2 - Lite Edition is available for only 7.50 USD
    PIDI Advanced Skin Shader 2 - Lite Edition is available for only 20 USD

We hope this will help you and make a good addition for all your projects :)
    Have a great week!

7. fengkan

fengkan

Just bought the asset, but how can I achieve the long fur like this video? Thank you,guys.

8. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

We ask you to please contact us to our support email with your Invoice number to give you further assistance and help you solve the issues you are having with your specific model. Also, we saw you already reviewed the asset on the Asset Store before contacting our support team and would like to clarify that we do not have you buy any third party assets nor that you should (it is not a requirement in any way for the tutorial, as most of our users who could follow it with their own models can tell), as well as that our asset does indeed have an included mesh that you can use to complete the tutorial without any issues.It is the Lucy mesh, and the tutorial works just the same for both skinned and non-skinned meshes since the requirements for the meshes are the same in both cases.

Most if not all errors our users experience with their models come from the meshes not having the right transformation values shown in the tutorial (position 0,0,0 rotation 0,0,0 scale 1,1,1 in the mesh transform values) or not following properly the configuration steps detailed in the guide.

Because of this, again we invite you to contact us to our support email so we can give you further assistance and help you set up your model.

Have a great day!

9. cr281164

cr281164

Missed this sale and it is not part of the spring sale. That's a shame! Will the next release have mobile and desktop version in single pack?

10. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

XFur Studio 2 will indeed have integrated support for mobile devices, but there are some considerations that you have to make :

• Mobile support in XFur Studio 2 will require support for OpenGLES 3.1, preferably with instancing support. This means that the requirements for mobile of XFur Studio 2 will be higher than those of XFur Mobile
    • XFur Studio 2 will be, due to the many new features included and the new devices supported, more expensive than XFur Studio 1.x or XFur Mobile. While a definitive price has not been set, you can expect it to be > 70 USD. Users of XFur Studio / XFur Mobile will receive a discount when upgrading to XFur Studio 2 (our discounts are usually between 25-40%).
    • XFur Mobile will still be available for sale for a few months after XFur Studio 2 is released, since not all the needs covered by XFur Mobile are covered by XFur Studio 2. Afterwards, XFur Studio 2 will become our main XFur product for both desktop / consoles and mobile.

We hope this helps ! :)

CoyoteFringe likes this.
  11. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

XFur Studio 2 is currently in development and coming soon. You can read more about it here

Have a great week ! :)

12. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

XFur Studio Mobile is available right now with a 50% discount for a whole week until July 12 at midnight ! :)

Get it now for only 25 dollars on the asset store!

13. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

A small clip showing some of the new XFur Studio 2 features running on a mobile device (Honor X7) :

CoyoteFringe and Mark_01 like this.
  14. CoyoteFringe

CoyoteFringe

Hi! Do you have a general time window when Fur Studio 2 might be released? (No shade or pressure here - I just have a project turn-in date of October 5th. FS1 will fit my needs just fine for now, but if you think FS2 will be out by then, I'd rather go with that.) Thank you!

15. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

We are currently finishing the development of XFur Studio 2, including its documentation, tutorials and doing some extensive testing for URP and HDRP. While we cannot give an exact release date (since it depends on approval times of the asset store as well) we expect to send it for approval to the store before the end of this month, which would allow us to release it in September.

We hope this helps !

CoyoteFringe likes this.
  16. CoyoteFringe

CoyoteFringe

Awesome - that does help! Thank you much!

17. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

We come to you with great news : XFur Studio 2 will be released and available for purchase NEXT WEEK.

More than two years after the release of XFur Studio 1.x and almost two years after the release of XFur Mobile, after countless months of development from the ground up and after trying our best to offer as many of the features that you requested over the past two years as we could for this initial release, the time has finally come to share with you more information and to finally present what is our biggest and most advanced tool yet.

Q - What has changed from XFur Studio 1.x / XFur Mobile to XFur Studio 2? What are the biggest improvements?
    - XFur Studio 2 is a complete re-write and redesign of XFur Studio. There is no need to patch meshes anymore. The whole workflow has been streamlined and most resources and setups are now fully automated, which means that adding fur to a character can take mere seconds now. This also means that XFur Studio 2 is much more flexible with the kinds of models it is compatible with, and has less pre-requirements for your art assets.

Furthermore, everything is run on the GPU making XFur Studio 2 many times faster than even XFur Mobile on all platforms and devices. HDRP and Universal RP are also, for the first time, fully supported, as is full runtime fur editing, grooming and painting through special ready-to-use virtual brushes or an easy to use API for programmers. There are many more new features, but these are the main changes and improvements.

Q - Are characters made with XFur Studio 1.x / XFur Mobile compatible with XFur Studio 2?
    - Characters made with XFur Studio 1 and XFur Mobile cannot be ported to XFur Studio 2 directly. However, the Fur Data map and most fur properties can be "upgraded" by simply loading legacy profiles exported with XFur 1.x / XFur Mobile. Grooming at the moment cannot be upgraded directly due to the much, much improved algorithm used in version 2.

While this upgrade process will not be 100% accurate (since every feature of XFur Studio 1 has been completely rewritten and improved, and many features of XFur 2 have no equivalent in version 1 nor Mobile) it will greatly reduce the time needed to set up your characters for XFur Studio 2 while also preserving most of the data and customizations you made in either XFur Studio 1.x or XFur Mobile.

Q - What will happen to XFur Studio 1.x and XFur Mobile now?
    - XFur Studio 1.x and XFur Mobile will be deprecated as soon as XFur Studio 2 is released next week. After they are deprecated, we will extend support for both versions for exactly one month but only for projects using Unity 2018.4 LTS and 2019.4 LTS, in order to ensure that customers that do not upgrade to a newer version can still use XFur Studio and XFur Mobile in their projects. No further updates nor patches will be provided after this 30 days period.

Q - I just bought a license for XFur Studio 1.x / XFur Mobile in the past few weeks. What do I do?
    - We are currently reviewing this situation especially for XFur Mobile users and we will have more information for you on Monday, but do not worry, we are taking care of this situation :)

Q - I bought my copy a while ago and I am a returning user. What kind of upgrade benefits do I get?
    - All users of XFur Mobile and XFur Studio 1.x will receive a 30% discount when upgrading to XFur Studio 2. For the first week after the release, the discount will be higher at a 50% off in order to thank early adopters and encourage users to upgrade early on.

Q - What will be the price of XFur Studio 2?
    -
    XFur Studio 2 will be available in two editions : Ultimate Edition and Team Edition. The Ultimate Edition is targeted to individuals and has a Per Seat license with a $125 USD price.
    The Team Edition is targeted to larger teams and companies and has a Single Entity / Multi Entity license with a $1250 / $3750 USD price respectively. Please consult the Asset Store EULA for more information about Single Entity / Multi Entity and Seat licenses.

Q - Why is XFur Studio 2 more expensive than XFur Studio 1.x / XFur Mobile?
    - XFur Studio 2 has the features of both products combined into a single package : very high quality fur for closeups and highly detailed desktop / console projects and extremely performant fur for VR and mobile apps. On top of this, there are countless other improvements to performance, new features and full HDRP 7.x and Universal RP 7.x compatibility at release for Unity 2019.4 LTS.

Q - Will XFur Studio 2 be compatible with all HDRP / Universal RP versions and all Unity versions?
    -
    While the XFur Studio 2 shaders for HDRP and Universal RP are made with ShaderGraph to ensure its compatibility with all HDRP and Universal RP versions on Unity 2019.4+, due to upcoming changes in the distribution of SRP packages with Unity we will limit official SRP support to LTS versions of Unity and their corresponding SRP packages, at least at release. This may change later if Unity provides a better way for us as developers to keep track of all SRP versions with a clear upgrade path.

Q - Does XFur Studio 2 work with Alembic / instanced meshes / procedural geometry ?
    - Alembic is not and will not be supported by XFur Studio 2. Procedural meshes are compatible with XFur Studio 2 as long as their material counts do not change at runtime and they are properly assigned to a Mesh Renderer or Skinned Mesh Renderer component. Instanced Meshes, since they do not use a Mesh nor a Skinned Mesh component, are not supported. It is recommended to ensure that all the parts of your model that will require fur are combined into a single mesh / skinned mesh and that you use different materials instead of different meshes to render different kinds of fur.

Q - What are the system requirements for fur rendering / physics simulations / etc.?
    - The full XFur Studio 2 package ( including its modules, GPU physics, GPU snow etc. ) require hardware matching Open GLES 3.1 or above for mobiles and full support for RenderTextures and Render Targets, which should make it compatible with most modern devices. GPU Physics simulation as well as the other XFur Modules have a memory overhead of at least ~4Kb per active module for each character.

Q - Will there be any cheaper versions of XFur Studio 2? Any release discounts?
    - There are no plans for release discounts for XFur Studio 2. However, we are currently considering the release of a new product, XFur Studio 2 - Mini, which will provide basic fur rendering and very limited features, for a much lower $25 USD price tag. We will have more information about this after the release of XFur Studio 2

If you have any further questions about XFur Studio 2 or any of the topics discussed here please leave your questions below. We will do our best to reply to all your questions as we prepare for the launch of XFur Studio 2 :)

gecko, Malbers and Mark_01 like this.
  18. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

This tool has now been deprecated. Please follow this link to get information about XFur Studio 2, our brand new product and the next evolution of XFur Studio

Malbers likes this.