Search Unity

[LEGACY] PIDI - Planar Reflections 2. Real-time reflections with Lightweight SRP+Mobile support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by IrrSoft, Jun 29, 2017.

1. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

New version just approved on the Unity Asset Store! :

Updates and improvements in version 1.7

• Added partial support for Deferred rendered reflections (no directional lights support on Unity versions older than 5.6, Safe Clipping must be disabled). Using deferred based reflections will give a considerable performance boost on scenes with many lights.
    • Added support for Vertex-Lit based reflections.
    • Explicit normals can now be locally defined, useful for reflective planes that will rotate (for example hanging mirrors, glass shards, etc)
    • General improvements on the PBR variants of shaders
    • Improved Undo handling
    • Improved memory handling while in older versions of the Unity Editor
    • Bug fixes for better compatibility with newer Unity versions.
    • Improved clipping and projection algorithms for better results

Hope it will be useful! :)

Lex4art likes this.
  2. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Quick plan for the next minor update, coming in a few weeks :
    • New collection of shaders designed for mobile devices to match (in a limited way) the PBR variants currently available for desktop platforms

3. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Some people presented issues to download and import the new update. While this seems to be a temporary issue on the Asset Store, the package has been re-submitted and re-approved so it should download without issues.

however, if you are having issues to update to version 1.7, please contact us to our support email with your invoice number and we will help you to update :)

4. Zero-Lu

Zero-Lu

Dear developers,

Does PIDI support transparent mirror material? Like a reflective glass?

Thank you.

5. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

Sure, PIDI Planar Reflections come with a couple of alpha-enabled (transparent) shaders by default and custom shaders can be easily adapted to take advantage of the system :)

This is one of the default transparent shaders using a multi-colored texture with several different levels of opacity :

upload_2018-5-1_22-21-18.png

If you need a transparency shader closer to Unity's Standard Shader, that is coming on the next update ( but you can contact me with your invoice number after your purchase and I will send a preview version to you ASAP )

Hope this helps! :)

Lex4art and Zero-Lu like this.
  6. Zero-Lu

Zero-Lu

Thank you for your reply!

7. Zero-Lu

Zero-Lu

Hi IrrSoft,

PIDI does not seem to work in AR. I tested with ARCore. And the render texture won't update properly. Have you tested PIDI with ARCore?

8. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

I don't have any AR devices at the moment to test it but as long as your device is capable of using render textures the system should work without issues.

If the problem is only about updating, I recommend adding the PIDI_ForcedUpdate component to your camera(s) and set "All Reflections" to true, since this solves a similar issue with some VR kits.

Some VR and AR kits meddle with the default Unity camera's behavior but the PIDI_ForcedUpdate component solves most of these issues :)

If the issue persists, I will need you to please send me a few screenshots of the settings you are using in the Planar reflections component as well as on your cameras to help you solve the issue asap :)

Edit : the main issue with XR apps (AR and VR) is that the different devices, plugins and kits produce different results. However, due to the way PIDI Planar reflections works, as long as the device supports render textures there's a way to fix it and get it to work :)

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  9. Zero-Lu

Zero-Lu

Thank you for your reply.
    I did what you suggested but it remains the same.
    The screenshot is in https://paste.pics/a99357f224ab9900aac24f3c89483b96
    I used the default floor from the demo scene and added the PIDI_ForcedUpdate.
    But I think that you probably need to use an ARCore phone to see it in action and debug.

Thanks for the good work!

IrrSoft likes this.
  10. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,
    Sorry to hear it didn't work as intended. I believe the reason for this is that ARCore uses several components in the camera to remove the background of the scene and replace it with what the phone's camera is looking at, besides modifying the camera's output.

Since the reflection doesn't have these components, it doesn't know what to do with the background nor can replicate the modifications being made by the main camera.

I'll try to get my hands on an ARCore device to solve this issue and see what to do to replicate the chain of components from the main camera.

Again, sorry to hear that the tool could not work on your project at the moment, but thanks for your comments and for letting me know so I can work on this.

11. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Just to not leave any option out...have you tried using the Chroma key shaders?

I say this because the ARCore workflow is similar to the following : Scene gets rendered, background is ignored. Background is replaced with the real world input. Scene is composited.

On the reflection side, Scene gets rendered and background is ignored (as it tries to emulate the main camera). Background is never replaced with anything, leading to depth issues and graphical glitches.

To solve this, maybe the Chroma Key shaders can help. Bake a reflection probe on your scene or get any generic cubemap and use it as the background, then reflect only the layers with dynamic objects on them.

Yes, this will not produce perfect results but remember that your main camera is mixing real world input with 3D graphics, and the reflection has to somehow work with a scene (the real world input) that doesnt really exist and to which it doesn't have access. The reflection is trying to work with much less information than the main camera, leading to some errors.

Hopefully copying and using the floor from the Chroma Key scene can give you better results :)

Have a great day!

12. Zero-Lu

Zero-Lu

Hi there,

I tried the Chroma Key shader. But no luck, it didn't solve the problem. It has the same artifacts similar to my last screenshot like images overlap on top of each other.
    Moreover, my framerate droped to 1-2 fps. And the motion tracking cannot be established.

Hope that you can have a solution soon ~
    Thank you~

13. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

I'm sorry to hear that it still doesn't work. I don't own any device that supports ARCore, so it will take me a while to create a fix, but I'll keep researching it for a future update, don't worry.

Again, sorry to hear it wasn't compatible with your ARCore project

Thanks for letting me know of the issue, and have a good day!

14. Zero-Lu

Zero-Lu

Hi IrrSoft,

I haven't done any tests but probably you can recreate my problem with other AR framework like Vuforia. Vuforia has offcial partnership with Unity and works on every phone.
    In this way you probably don't need an ARCore compatible phone.

Thank you~

15. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

Thank you very much for the tip! I will keep doing tests these days to try to come up with a fix for the next update. It is taking me a while since you are the first user I know is using the tool for AR (and I'm fairly new to AR as well!) but be sure I will work hard to try to solve the issue ASAP! :)

16. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

There are some important news coming regarding support for the new SRPs released with Unity 2018.1 and the way the Unity team is deciding to introduce them for us Asset Developers. According to the latest information we got from them, all assets are expected to support the Lightweight SRP by the end of 2018/early 2019.

However, I am well aware that most if not all of the users of PIDI_Planar Reflections are not targeting SRP projects since they are working on VR, Mobile, ArchViz and similar projects that make heavy use of assets from the Asset Store ( things that are only partially supported by SRPs at best and totally unusable at worst). Giving support to the SRP pipeline is a very big challenge for an asset developer (especially for solo developers as myself) due to the fast and constant changes to the pipelines that often break compatibility across versions and betas.

Giving support to the Lightweight SRP will most likely result in many updates that, instead of having a new feature for everyone, will target ONLY bugs and issues with the Lightweight pipeline, a feature most of you are not using.

The lightweight pipeline that Unity will force us developers to support is a system pretty much in a Beta state at this moment, with very limited features compared to the standard unity renderer we have today. This means that those people using the PIDI_Planar Reflections tool on Lightweight will need to endure a limited version of the tool as well.

Because of this, I have decided that a version of PIDI_PlanarReflections with support for both the Standard and Lightweight pipelines will be put on sale as its own, different product. Its price will be 35 dollars for new customers and 10 dollars for owners of the existing PIDI_Planar Reflections tool.

This 10 dollars difference is the price of the added features, to allow myself to keep up with the additional support requests and development time, as well as to split the userbase of the tool between those who use Lightweight and those who doesn't. This way, if there is a tool-breaking bug on the Lightweight pipeline, the users of the Standard version won't be spammed with updates that are useless for them.

If the Unity team decides to deprecate any tool that doesn't support Lightweight and the Standard version gets forcefully deprecated before you can purchase the upgrade, I will make sure that there is a grace period and some kind of deal for existing users to purchase the upgrade. However, you can rest assured that even if the Unity team removes this version of the tool from the Asset Store, support through email will continue as usual :)

In short :

• Very soon (as soon as next month) there will be two versions of this tool. A Standard Version, the one currently on sale, and a SRP version with the same features plus support for the Lightweight pipeline (again, subject to the limitations of Lightweight).
    • This version will cost 35 dollars for new users and 10 dollars for existing users. Lightweight is a Beta feature, unstable, constantly changing and with limited features. I do not want to force this update on everyone nor raise the price of this tool for people who won't use the new features, that's why there will be 2 versions to let you pick and pay exactly for what you need.
    • If and when the Unity team forces me to deprecate the Standard Version because it won't have any features compatible with SRPs, I will do my best to make the transition for people who didn't get the upgrade in time as easy as possible, while also keep providing support through email for both versions.

I hope my reasons and plan for the tool are clear, but please if there is any doubt about this ask your questions in the comments and I will try to explain myself better :)

About the exact limits of this tool when running on Lightweight, please be patient as I am still finding out. I have a preview version of Planar Reflections already running on Lightweight SRP (Unity 2018.1) and the biggest issue so far is a very limited VR support due to the just as limited camera access on Lightweight.

EDIT : The preview version

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    chiapet1021 likes this.
  17. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Version 1.77 is coming soon with a big performance boost across all reflective materials by allowing several reflectors to share the same material.

Also compiling a list of features to compare between the Standard and Lightweight SRP versions.

Mobile PBR shaders as well as new alpha-blended PBR variants coming.

*About Vuforia and ARCore, I am still experimenting on how to best implement support for those platforms.

18. Zero-Lu

Zero-Lu

Hi IrrSoft,

Nice to hear that you are working on the support for Vuforia and ARCore. Have you recreated my issue on ARCore with Vuforia? Or have you found an ARCore compatible phone?

19. Zero-Lu

Zero-Lu

Hi IrrSoft,

I had some improvement while debugging. The artifact was caused by the clear flags of camera. The clear flags of the camera in ARCore is depth only.

Hope that this helps.

IrrSoft likes this.
  20. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

I've had some troubles to get vuforia to work with my camera but I'm still experimenting with it. Thanks for letting me know about the depth only clear flags. This is most likely what is causing the issue (and what I meant before when I explained to you that ARCore is erasing the background and replacing it with video feedback but that the reflection doesn't have anything to replace the background with) so I will keep working and testing trying to come with a fix to that end :)
    ARCore and vuforia are not really officially supported (since they are not really optimal targets for this type of reflections) but I'll keep working to make a small bypass for the clear flags on the reflection side. It may not produce very accurate results (since again the information that ARCore renders such as the video feedback is not available to the reflection) but it will hopefully stop the artifacts :)

Thanks again for giving me more information, I'll keep working on it!

21. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,
    I could manage to get things going on Vuforia but I could not reproduce the error on this platform since Vuforia doesnt set the clear flags of its camera to depth only. Because of this, I made a small patch to bypass this clear flags issue and sent it to you in a PM. I hope it helps! :)

22. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

A small update on support for ARCore and Vuforia. As of this moment and after several experiments, it seems that Vuforia doesn't have major issues when working with this plugin. However, it will not be officially supported yet. If you decide to use it, please be aware that there may be major issues and glitches for which there will be no support since Vuforia is not one of our target platforms.

Augmented Reality is not a platform for which this type of real-time reflections are well suited, since the reflected images will not match at all with the video feedback from the device's camera.

ARCore is not and will not be officially supported at any point in the foreseeable future as the devices required to use it are very specific and again, the results of this method of planar reflections will be inferior to the results in other platforms. Supporting Augmented Reality would require a very specific method of reflections designed around the video feedback and with specific integrations for both Vuforia, ARCore and potentially ARKit which is at the moment not possible for me.

Since I do not have the required devices nor has this tool been designed with AR in mind, these platforms are not officially supported. Small fixes and patches that may help with some more general issues (like the depth issue mentioned above) can be provided, but AR related, platform specific issues (like errors in sorting due to the ARCore and Vuforia cameras, device specific incompatibilities between our tool and ARCore/ARKit/Vuforia, device specific projection errors etc) will not be solved since this fall outside of the scope of this tool and I do not have the tools nor devices to provide the support needed for this very specific platform.

Again, please read the description of the tool in the asset store to see which platforms are supported. Any platform outside of the ones listed there is most likely not supported. If you are in doubt about if our asset will support the platform or devices you are targeting, contact me before purchasing it.

I hope this makes more clear the status right now of AR support (or lack of ) in this asset. Thanks for reading :)

23. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Version number for the upcoming update has been changed since it is no longer a small update. This update will be to version 1.8, and it comes, among other things, with highly improved interfaces for a much easier workflow :

upload_2018-5-11_14-24-12.png

upload_2018-5-11_14-24-24.png

Besides this, heavy rewrites to most shaders are being put in place to improve performance and make the workflow with many reflections sharing materials possible.

The release of the SRP version of Planar Reflections will come after the update to the main version :)

Lex4art likes this.
  24. BobFiggins

BobFiggins

Hey, new to Unity. Following your guide to make reflections, I did what was written and it's not working. Actually, I've never been able to get this to work unless I use one of your demo scenes. Though I really need help to figure it out.

https://i.gyazo.com/40d709597f542aeeeb3d59f010608a8c.png

I made the Planar Reflector, and then assigned the RT1 RenderTexture to it. Yet the blue object isn't reflecting?

I know I'm clearly missing something here. Have always been a 3d person, when it comes to this sort of stuff I've always fallen short. Help is appreciated!

IrrSoft likes this.
  25. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

First of all, thank you for purchasing this tool :)
    I'll do my best to solve this issue ASAP. I just made a new scene if Unity 5.4 to test this and on my end it works as expected :

upload_2018-5-26_9-51-9.png

Though I would need to ask which Unity version and rendering settings you are using (Directx vs OpenGL ) so I can make the test in a platform as close to yours as possible.

Also on your pic, I couldn't help but notice that you are looking at the mirror from the back (and if you do this, you won't be able to see any reflections ). The blue line indicates the direction of the mirror, and to see the reflections you must look in the opposite direction of this blue line. If I take a pic from the same angle as you did :

upload_2018-5-26_9-52-47.png

I can't see any reflections either :)

To really test if the reflector is working, I suggest to place a small sphere right in front of the reflector so that it looks crossed by the blue line :

upload_2018-5-26_9-55-13.png

This way you should be able to see if they are working or not. If the sphere is reflected then this means that the reason your scene is not being reflected by the mirror is either :
    • Far clip distance is too low (though I see it is 100, which makes me think that is a long enough distance)
    • The mirror is not positioned in a way that things can actually be reflected or your camera is not looking at the mirror in the right angle.

I hope this helps, but please comment again if there is still any issue :)

26. BobFiggins

BobFiggins

27. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Glad to help!

The planar reflectors, like the one you are using, are intended to be invisible on the scene :)
    They render their reflection texture (in this case RT1) while staying invisible. This is useful if, for example, you will share the same reflection across several materials. let's say you have a scene with 6 different floor materials that are all reflective. Instead of generating 1 reflection for each material, you place an invisible reflector that covers all 6 floors and set the RT1 texture as the reflection texture of the other 6 materials. That way the reflector itself is invisible but renders the reflections for the 6 materials on the background, improving performance :)

If you want to actually see the reflection in the scene instead, then I recommend following the next steps :

• Select your reflector
    • Click on Add Component and type "Mesh Filter" then add the mesh filter component
    • On the Mesh slot, click on the little dot next to it and type "ReflectionPlane" and assign that mesh :
    upload_2018-5-26_11-36-2.png

The mirror will turn pink. Now, on the Materials list of the Mesh Renderer component :

upload_2018-5-26_11-36-32.png

Assign the Basic Reflection material that you will find on the Internal folder of the PIDI_Planar Reflections folder. This will transform your reflector (which is intended to render reflections while being invisible) into a standard mirror, it will start reflecting the scene again (it will no longer be pink) and it will have a real presence in the scene that you can see even after hitting "Play" :)

Now, if you need more control over how the reflection looks, if it is rendered as wet asphalt or anything else, I recommend you to read through the Manual to see the different features of all the included shaders and material types so you can decide which material is right for what you are trying to achieve :)

Be warned that only the shaders included with this package can receive reflections. Any Unity Standard shader will not display the reflections, but there are several shaders included with the package that re-create all the features of Standard Unity shaders :)

I hope this helps!

28. BobFiggins

BobFiggins

Worked perfectly, thank you so much!

29. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Glad to help! :)

30. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Small patch has been sent to the store for approval :

• Bug in some VR devices with VIVE-like projections where the reflections failed at certain angles (floors losing reflections when looking above the horizon line) has been fixed
    • Added a parameter in all shaders that let you adjust the per-eye offset when on Single Pass stereoscopic rendering to solve offset issues present in specific devices (default values are set for VIVE like projections, if you are using Oculus VR you need to set the Eye Offset to 0 )
    • Improved VR compatibility for applications with 1 camera rendering to both eyes
    • Improved VR compatibility for single and multipass

Please, be aware that HTC VIVE is still not officially supported, just that curved projections similar to those found in VIVE and similar VR devices have better support now (tested only with the Mock VIVE setup inside the Unity Editor)

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  31. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Patch described in the previous comment has just been approved, so you can expect better compatibility with your VR apps! :)

32. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Version 1.8 of Planar reflections has been sent to the Asset Store for approval :)

• Fully reworked UI for a better and easier workflow.
    • Added 2 new shaders (Simple PBR for mobile and Pixel Shader 2.0 level apps)
    • Improved VR compatibility and performance (better support for SIngle pass and Single Camera apps)
    • A few bug fixes

I hope you will like it ! :)

tapawafo likes this.
  33. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Version 1.8 is up now! :)

It comes with some handy fixes and improvements on the VR code and shaders, new mobile/Pixel shader 2.0 PBR compatible shaders (simplified versions of the main ones) and a brand new, improved and easier to use UI :

upload_2018-6-18_18-4-26.png

upload_2018-6-18_18-4-42.png

upload_2018-6-18_18-4-58.png

I hope you will like it and that it will be very useful! :)

tapawafo likes this.
  34. Keksmanu

Keksmanu

Hey, I got a weird problem regarding mirrors, maybe you can help me. I added a simple mirror shader and the planar reflection script to a box, I copied the settings 1:1 from the mirrors in the sample scenes but ist not working properly.

Attached Files:

35. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

I might need to see the explicit normal direction you are using in the planar script (that seems to be the issue) since this component is not intended to use on boxes nor any other 3D object but instead it is designed to be used on planes. If you want to have a cube that reflects from every face you would need to build it with 6 different planes, each one with its own planar reflections component (though for box-based reflections maybe a realtime reflection probe could help you more, since they are designed for cubemap-like reflections)

Planes have a single normal direction that they can use to calculate the reflections (on the included plane and the demo scenes, the explicit normal is set to match the planes Z direction or to be perpendicular to their surface) while a cube has 6 different normal directions so the reflection will look off from any other direction than the main one used as a normal, so copying the settings of the planar reflections component from a single plane to a different 3D shape will not produce good results :)

In short :

The Planar Reflections component is designed for planar/flat reflections applied on planes since they calculate their reflections for a single, normal defined direction. If you apply it to a cube which has 6 different normal directions, the results will be off from every single direction except 1. I would need to see the settings of the Planar reflections component, especially the Explicit Surface Normal value, to be able to tell you if this is what is causing the problem :)

I hope this helps!

36. Keksmanu

Keksmanu

Thanks for the fast Reply IrrSoft, I switched now from a box model to the unity default plane and tried it there, it works perfectly fine when I set the right normal direction in the script Settings. But should the normal direction not be calculated automatically if I leave the Checkbox unchecked?

Attached Files:

• reft.PNG
      reft.PNG
      File size:
      181.9 KB
      Views:
  37. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there!

I'm glad to hear it's working now :)
    The normal direction is not calculated since there is not enough information to find it (if I tried to read the normal from the first vertex this could give wrong results with meshes that use several materials and where the first vertex has a different normal than the mirror itself) so it uses the forward direction of the object instead to be more accurate in most cases and giving more freedom to the user instead of trying to calculate everything on its own and risking a wrong result :)

If you define an explicit normal and enable the "Local Normal" flag as well you will define the normal in local space and it will be updated automatically even if the object moves or rotates :)

I hope this helps!

Edit : a custom plane mesh is provided with the package that has its normal matching the forward direction and a 1*1 size, you can use this one without worries about explicit normals. You should find it in the "internal" folder :)

38. cedtat

cedtat

Hello,

I am trying to add water reflection to a cardboard app and came to discover your asset which seems promising for our project. I am currently trying to integrate it, we are currently not able to handle correctly the color of the water. No matter how we set shore, bottom and clarity, we only have transparent water (see the screenshot). In the end we have discovered that under a specific angle of camera in the scene view, we can see the water color. I am wondering if it is because we are using a recent version of Unity (2018.1.4f1).

Can you help us ?

Attached Files:

39. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there, I just sent you a PM and don't worry, I will do my best to help you solve this issue :)

EDIT : I think I found the cause of the problem, in the PM I sent you are the details on how to solve it. Hope it helps!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  40. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

This issue has been solved. if anyone else has the same problem, please check that your camera is rendering a depth texture. In the Very Low quality setting this is disabled by default. Changing the quality settings should fix this :)

A small patch to automate this process and force depth rendering is on its way for next week! :)

41. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Small update with new shaders is coming soon. The new shaders will be alpha-blended versions of the PBR and depth-based shaders, which should be especially useful for puddles and such :)

These will be the last patches for this version of PIDI Planar Reflections before the release of the new package with support for the new Lightweight SRP (which is still under development to try to improve its workflow and VR support as much as possible!).

I hope you will like the update! :)

Lex4art likes this.
  42. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Version 1.9 with alpha blended PBR shaders as well as some general improvements will be sent to the store this weekend to be approved next week.

These will be most likely the last updates with new features to the current version before the release of PIDI Planar Reflections for the new Lightweight SRP in August :)

Hope you will like the updates!

43. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

PIDI_Planar Reflections version 1.9 is now waiting for approval.

It has 11 new shaders, the alpha blended versions of the PBR and PBR mobile shaders included with versions 1.7 and 1.8.

It should be approved and available soon enough! :)

44. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

And version 1.9 is now approved and ready to download. I hope it helps! :)

45. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Version 2.0 of PIDI Planar Reflections is almost ready, prepared to be released on late August. It will be the very first release with support for Lightweight SRP and some general improvements.

Version 2.0 will be released as its very own package as it was explained a while ago, for a 35 USD price. At least until the last quarter of this year, both versions of the asset (the current version 1.9 at 25 USD and the new 2.0 at 35 USD) will be available on the Asset Store, with every user of the current version having the chance to upgrade by paying the 10 USD difference. This means that if you already own this tool and want to add support for Lightweight SRP, you will only need to pay 10 dollars for the upgrade. If you do not need Lightweight, you can keep using the current version just as usual. This way, you will only pay for the features you will use :)

Starting next year however, due to the new requirements of the Asset Store for all assets with custom shaders to support Lightweight, only version 2.0 will be available.

The current version 1.9 will keep receiving smaller updates, some new shaders and bug fixes in the upcoming months, and it will keep receiving support just as usual even after version 2.0 is available so do not worry if you do not upgrade. The upgrade, at least for this year, is intended for those who plan to use Lightweight SRP in the near future or in their current projects :)

This is just a small announcement about the roadmap for the future of PIDI - Planar Reflections as I update the tool to better comply with the requirements of the Asset Store for 2019 while providing you an easy way to upgrade when the time comes so the tool can keep being useful for all your projects :)

I hope this helps!

46. n4cer500

n4cer500

Hi

I'm very much enjoying Planar Reflections but I wondered if you could tell me if I'm doing something wrong with Single Pass/VR mode.

I created a new project, imported only PDI P/R and set enabled VR (Oculus Rift) and Single Mode. In this mode the reflection is slightly different in the two eyes, correct in one eye and slightly skewed in the other. In Multi Pass mode it works fine. Is there something else I need to set for Single Pass to work?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for a great asset.

47. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there!
    First of all, thank you for your purchase and for your kind words. I am glad you are liking this tool and hope it can keep being useful for you :)

While the preferred mode for the Planar Reflections in VR is still Multi Pass, Single Pass is now much more compatible than in previous versions. The difference between eyes is normal since it comes from the shaders themselves. If you select the reflective material in the scene you are testing, you will see a small value called "Eyes Offset". It is a Vector4 that controls the offset of the left and right eyes and is used for devices with very complex projections such as some Daydream/VIVE style devices. The ZW part of this vector controls the horizontal/vertical offset of the right eye.

upload_2018-7-31_20-44-26.png

The values it has by default are for these devices. For Oculus rift, you need a different value. I suggest to start with 0,0,0,0 since Oculus has a very standard, simple projection and it should work without needing any offset :)

I hope this helps!

n4cer500 likes this.
  48. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Version 2.0 of PIDI Planar Reflections will be sent to the store as a brand new, separate product later today. While the current version will be available in the store for some time more (hopefully, depending on the Unity Store new terms for non-SRP packages, till December 2018) version 2.0 will be the next iteration of this asset with improved shaders, methods and with new features that will adjust to Unity's new SRP pipelines while providing the same efficient and stable reflections for the Standard Pipeline that are available in the current version. While the current version will remain in the store at 25 dollars, the new version will have a launch price of 35 dollars with the option to upgrade from the current version to 2.0 by paying only the 10 dollars difference.

Main features of 2.0 :
    • Support for Lightweight SRP
    • Continued support, improvements, fixes and new shaders during 2019
    • Support for HD SRP (coming in 2019, once the pipeline is stable and out of experimental state)
    Current limits and considerations for Lightweight SRP :
    • There is no water shader for Lightweight SRP due to the lack of Grab Pass functions in SRP, required for refraction. It will be included in future updates.
    • Scene view and Game view cannot have reflections at the same time. While in Play mode, only the game cameras generate reflections. Reflections are slightly more expensive to calculate in Lightweight.
    • VR reflections are usable but they require a single camera setup (one camera for both eyes). Use the Eye Offset vector to adjust the offset of each eye and match it to your device.
    • Lightweight SRP presents a few bugs in how it handles VR (sometimes VR generates duplicated images on RenderTextures) and an initial workaround has been provided. VR in Lightweight will receive updates and fixes during the upcoming months as Unity improves the pipeline itself.
    • Due to the limited features of Lightweight compared to the Standard pipeline, some shaders are not available (Roughness/Specular setups). However, general frameworks have been provided that cover all the general features of the package, included alpha blended shaders, PBR based surfaces, blurred reflections and Chroma keyed reflections.
    Who should get version 2.0?

• Those already working with Lightweight SRP or who plan to work with Lightweight SRP in 2019. While the SRP pipelines are in no way production ready (as stated by the Unity team itself) they will become stable during 2019-2020 and at some point they will also become the main rendering method for Unity. Version 2.0 will offer support for both standard SRPs. While support for Lightweight is ready, support for HD SRP will be available as soon as the pipeline becomes more stable.
    • Those who want to keep receiving updates, new shaders and new features during 2019 regardless of the platform they are using. While bug fixes will keep being provided for the current version during the rest of 2018 and a few new shaders will be released in the upcoming months, starting next year the only version available will be the 2.0 cycle, once the new Asset Store terms come into effect. Thus, starting in 2019, only version 2.0 will receive feature updates and patches.

Should you upgrade now?
    • If you are not planning to use Lightweight SRP in the near future then no, there is no need to upgrade right away. However, it is recommended that you upgrade before December 2018 if you plan to keep using this tool for future projects and upgrade to future Unity versions (2018.4, 2019.1 etc) since newer Unity versions released in 2019 will not be supported by the current version of PIDI_Planar Reflections. They will be supported by version 2.0 only.

Which Unity version do I need to run PIDI Planar Reflections 2.0 ?

• While version 2.0 supports Lightweight SRP, which is a Unity 2018+ feature, the scripts and packages related to this pipeline are packaged on their own Unitypackage file. This means that PIDI Planar Reflections 2.0 can work perfectly fine in older versions. As of this first release, the minimum Unity version required is 5.4.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to ask any other questions you may have! :)

49. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

PIDI Planar Reflections 2 has been sent to the Asset Store for approval but it is now ready and available on Itch.IO and, as part of our launch discount on that platform, it has a 20% discount! Other assets and tools will be added to the launch sale on Itch IO, which will last till August 31 :)

The original and current version 1.9 is also available on Itch IO with a 20% discount, meaning that you can get PIDI Planar Reflections for just 20 USD or for only 28 USD if you want to add Lightweight SRP support :)

I will update here as soon as version 2.0 is available on the Asset Store as well.

50. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Among the new features for version 2.0 which, I remind you, will be sold as a separate asset on the asset store but can already be bought on the Itch IO Store (if you already own it on the Asset Store you can contact me to ask for upgrade options through Itch io ) is that all Lightweight SRP shaders are ASE compatible :

and that all main features including VR support have been added on Lightweight SRP as well!

The first post has also been updated to direct to both the Asset Store and the Itch IO store, where you can get this asset with a 20% off until August 31 :)

tapawafo likes this.