Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.3 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity’s Demo Team is excited to share their upcoming interactive demo, Book of the Dead. See more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Physically Based Area Lights - redLights 2.0

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MPanknin, Feb 9, 2015.

1. gabrielefx

gabrielefx

Check the attached image.
    Redlights produces wrong ies light shapes.
    I don't want to see that black holes and light circles at the opposite light side.
    Please fix it!

regards

Attached Files:

kenshin likes this.
  2. kenshin

kenshin

I Martin,

can you confirm the upcoming update for redLights with the release of unity 5.4?

Kind regards,
    Kenshin

3. DRIVER1ksa

DRIVER1ksa

i dont see any example for car lighting "headlight"

4. 3d_Artist1987

3d_Artist1987

Any update for mobile?

kenshin likes this.
  5. P4p3Rc1iP

P4p3Rc1iP

It lately seems a little quiet here...

Anyway, I have a little problem. When I have a light on a fast moving object, the light starts to flicker and lag behind the moving object, and, depending on the speed, will eventually not be cast on the object at all. Default Unity lights work fine. Changing the update settings in the manager makes no difference. Using Unity 5.3.5f1

Any idea how to fix this?

We'd really love to use these lights but if they can't keep up with fast moving things they're pretty much useless for our project.

6. seronni

seronni

Hi,

I want to use IES Lights for mobile and PC platforms and I want to bake them (I dont use the realtime lights). This asset can bake IES Light?

7. MPanknin

MPanknin

Hi Guys,

I sincerely apologize for the lack of communication during the last months. Listing the various reasons for this would take quite a bit of time, which we would prefer investing into updating the package to the latest 5.4.2 release.

Fortunately I can tell you that we're almost done and will submit a new version to the Assetstore soon.

There are still some minor glitches in Deferred mode that we need to get rid of. However, Forward path is looking fine already.

Picture or it didn't happen... :)

[​IMG]

After the package is submitted I'll try to catch up on all the other posts, that are still unanswered.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
    Martin

GamerPET and FreakForFreedom like this.
  8. MPanknin

MPanknin

Ok, redlights 2.3.4 has been submitted and is pending in the review process.

We'll let drop a note, as soon as it's available for download. We made sure that the package is functional in the current 5.4.2 version of Unity. However, we haven't battle tested it against all of the new rendering features, since there were quite a few changes. So if you experience any irregularities, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Martin

9. MPanknin

MPanknin

Moreover, I'd like to introduce @Eddi_J. She will manage the communication from now on and is responsible for kicking our butts if updates or responses will take too long again.

Welcome @Eddi_J. :)

10. Eddi_J

Eddi_J

Thanks Martin and Hi to everyone!
    I am looking forward to many great conversations with all of you:)

JamesArndt and MPanknin like this.
  11. GamerPET

GamerPET

Welcome back MPanknin! :D

12. JacooGamer

JacooGamer

13. giraffe1

giraffe1

Is there shadow support now?

14. syscrusher

syscrusher

I was wondering the same thing, and for the same reason. I do note that the Unity version requires DX11, while this asset claims Mac compatibility. We're almost out of time on the sale, so I think I'm going to give it a try. I really need this function for an archviz project.

15. Inspeinre

Inspeinre

where the promised Mobile?

16. syscrusher

syscrusher

Okay, I bought and downloaded this asset to my Macbook Pro development machine, running MacOS Sierra and Unity 5.4.2f2.

Please don't consider this a formal review, because I haven't tested extensively in this short time, but in general:
    • The asset seems to work as advertised in my environment.
    • There were some compiler warnings on import, mostly declared but unused variables in the scripts. No errors.
    • At first, I thought it wasn't working, but then I went to the "advanced" settings of the "redLights Manager" GameObject in the Scene View (this object is autocreated when you add the first light from this asset to the scene). Clicking the "Force Rebuild" button once caused everything to start working, and it continues to work across full reloads of Unity. I'm not sure exactly what this button does internally, but it works.
    • I haven't tried all the light shapes yet (notably, I haven't tested the IES shapes), but tube and rectangle, which are the ones I needed most, are working great.
    • As clearly documented in the asset's store page, it does not yet support shadows.
    • This is not specifically mentioned in the asset store page or manual, but I have tested with Tomasz Stobierski's UBER shader ("core" configuration), and it works.
    • It really is realtime, really is direct and indirect, and really is the shape it claims to be (i.e., not faked with a couple of point sources).
    • According to the manual, it does work now on mobile, but they are not considering this formally "supported" because it hasn't yet been performance tuned. I have not tested mobile myself; I'm just citing the manual.
    • I haven't done any performance testing yet in a complex scene.
    I'll try to get some additional testing done in the coming days and post a real review on the store page. I wasn't prepared to formally review, with a star rating, after only a few minutes of testing.

TL;DR: So far, it's working as advertised for me. YMMV.

SpaceRay and Eddi_J like this.
  17. syscrusher

syscrusher

@Eddi_J: Glad to hear you're aboard. :) I've been watching this asset for a long time, and the sale today, your addition to the team, and today's update to Unity 5.4.2, persuaded me to take the plunge.

At Unite last week, a member of the Unity team advised me to try my project in the Unity 5.5 beta because of some other (unrelated) issues I am having which he thinks are fixed in 5.5. Do you know if the 5.4.2 version of this asset happens to also work in Unity 5.5 beta?

18. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi,
    I'm interested in purchasing the package.

The description says:
    "Roadmap for future updates:
    - Shadow support. The current version does NOT support shadows!!! We are working on it, but it is NOT included in this version! "

Anyway the first video (which dates back to 1 year ago) seems to have working shadows on it.

Does it support shadows, or shadows aren't still available after 1 year?

From the video it all *seems* very lightweight. Does it work on mobile as well? Do you support its use on mobile?

Thanks for your time :)

19. JacooGamer

JacooGamer

With proper mobile support, and shadows, this would be an immediate buy. Hopefully the developers can reply with some definite release schedule for these two features if possible before the end of the sale.

20. Eddi_J

Eddi_J

Thanks for all of your comments!

@JacooGamer Our package does not require DX11 and is therefore also compatible with Mac as well as mobile such as iOS and Android. Moreover it seems that Unity's implementation – which really looks awesome – supports only planar and tube shaped emitters. We also support spherical lights. However we haven't looked into their implementation in great detail yet.

Furthermore the Unity Area Lights work in deffered mode only while redLights also support the forward rendering path.

@Inspeinre Our Lights already work on mobile. In our description on the first page, we actually didn't update that yet, because we didn't find the time to do a sophisticated benchmark in order to identify the respective minimal hardware requirements. So if you are using something like a Sony Xperia Z3 or above, you should be good to go. But please don't expect it to run on some five year old legacy device.

SpaceRay and JamesArndt like this.
  21. JacooGamer

JacooGamer

Thanks for the reply. Could you please tell us when the asset will receive shadow support?

22. Eddi_J

Eddi_J

@NeatWolf The shadows that you saw in that video were indirect shadows and generated by Enlighten. There are no direct shadows in that clip.

@giraffe1 @JacooGamer @NeatWolf @syscrusher

Regarding shadow support in general. It is not yet supported, however we are still working on it. Maybe @MartinPanknin can share some more details to you all.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  23. Eddi_J

Eddi_J

@syscrusher First of all, thanks for you positive, detailed review on our package. Glad to hear that works good for you. However please note that there is an issue with respect to our IES light implementation. This has already been reported by another user and will be adressed in the next release.

syscrusher likes this.
  24. Eddi_J

Eddi_J

@syscrusher We haven't done any testing with 5.5 yet.

25. Eddi_J

Eddi_J

@all We are aware of the fact that the documentation is lacking, but due to today's sale we wanted to provide you with an updated version as soon as possible. We will take time to update our documentation soon.

26. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

As there is the sale offer I want to buy it but the problem is that I do not know if it will work for mobile and how is the perfomance, of course that I understand that it will not work on old hardware tablets. I will not use lots of this lights.

What I want is to use these area lights with lightmaps instead of realtime, so it would be better for mobile, but do not know if the Unity lightmap can process this lights made with this asset

I want to buy it but feel afraid that I do not know if I could use it

thanks very much for any help

I have seen the Unity asset in Github and it seems that the difference is that the Unity version is only for DX11 and not for OpenGL, and also it needs to have fog added to work correctly as far as I have seen on the examples, and this asset of Red Area Lights seems to support mobile assets, and does not need to have fog added, so the Unity free lights are only to be used for desktop computer

27. JacooGamer

JacooGamer

Thanks all for the replies. I have made the purchase. I would like to see shadow support also in the future, but I know it is on the roadmap.

Eddi_J likes this.
  28. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I haven't received an answer about mobile support. Is it supported? Technically feasible?

29. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thanks for the tip about IES; I'll just avoid that section for now. IES is a long-term requirement for me in the archviz space, but I have a lot of other development work to do before I reach the project stage where IES is needed. IOW, I have time to be patient while you work out the issues. :)

Eddi_J likes this.
  30. syscrusher

syscrusher

My testing of redLights last night did not use fog.

31. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I have finally bought it 2 minutes before the end of sale, as the difference in price is high 86€ vs 43€ on sale, and although I do not know if it will work or not on mobile, it was said at least that it was supported. I still do not know if I will be able to use it with lightmapping

thanks for the sale

Eddi_J likes this.
  32. Eddi_J

Eddi_J

and @NeatWolf
    Happy that you bought it!
    Yes it works on mobile. You can see my answer from yesterday 10:49 here:

Our Lights already work on mobile. In our description on the first page, we actually didn't update that yet, because we didn't find the time to do a sophisticated benchmark in order to identify the respective minimal hardware requirements. So if you are using something like a Sony Xperia Z3 or above, you should be good to go. But please don't expect it to run on some five year old legacy device.

SpaceRay likes this.
  33. MPanknin

MPanknin

Hi all, thanks for your feedback and @Eddi_J thanks for your support here.

With respect to shadow support I'd like to cite one line from the Github page of the above mentioned Unity Demo (Which is looking freaking awesome btw.).

"Real time shadows from area lights is still an open research topic."

This is perfectly true and as of today we didn't find a technique that would integrate properly with our redLights. Some of the algorithms, that we have tested so far looked promising in the beginning from a theoretical point of view, but turned out to have major drawbacks later on. Be it quality- or performance-wise.

That's the reason why we're so reluctant giving out any timings or dates concerning shadows.

Proper realtime shadow support is essential, we are well aware of this. We do need it badly ourselves... :)

The most promising approach that we are currently looking into is based on signed distance fields (SDFs).

Other people have written down the details already and much better than I probably could. So if you're not familiar with the term SDF google for "Raytraced Distance Field Shadows", "Distance Field AO", "Raymarching Signed Distance Fields" or some arbitrary combination of these keywords. There is plenty of information out there.

We already have a prototypic implementation for AO and Soft Shadows as well as a semi-automatic mechanism for generating SDFs from source meshes. However, this is still in a very early stage and highly experimental. I'll try to prepare some screenshots later on.

Thanks,
    Martin

JacooGamer and syscrusher like this.
  34. jeremedia

jeremedia

@MPanknin: is it possible to use Red Lights in scenes populated at run time? I've purchased the asset and thus far have not been able to get a red light to work in my procedurally generated environments.

35. syscrusher

syscrusher

Am I correct in assuming you have already considered and discarded the idea of approximating soft shadows by using an array of point sources of hard shadows? In other words, approximate a tube area light with a linear array of point sources, but only for shadow generation and not direct illumination? (Chances are very good that this idea has no merit, and I won't be offended if you say so.)

36. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hi, you say that your lights work on mobile, ok, but I have tried to use any of the Red Area Lights available with Mobile shaders and they do not show, you can not see any light effect, only works if you use Standard shader, I mean that if you switch from mobile shader to standard shader they work perfectly.

So please, how have you tested it on mobile?

As far as I know is not recommended to use Standard shader on mobile as it is heavy and bad for perfomance.

Thanks for any help

37. edredar

edredar

Hi! Great asset by all means. I use it a lot in my projects, but face a little problem. What about support for Shader Forge custom shaders? Didn't have any luck with that. Followed the instructions in Manual, but it gives me error:
    "undeclared identifier 'LambertTerm' at Assets/redLights/Resources/Shader/redPlantRectLight.cginc(79)"
    I include shader, unmodified by AutoLight. It is created in Shader Forge, and I removed the irrelevant Shader Forge code. Shader itself is made for deferred rendering path, but works fine in forward (yes, I've tried to do the things from manual for forward rendering, it gives the same results). The idea for all this shader mess - I have a bunch of custom shaders, which are made for deffered, and are used is Standalone builds, in deferred rendering path with your custom deferred shader. However, I also need to use the same shaders in forward for WebGL, because when I use deferred + custom shader, it gives really messy results. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

38. Eddi_J

Eddi_J

Hello,
    if you use it on some new devices it should work good. On which device did you test it?
    Please do not expect it to run on some old devices this will probably not work...

39. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello,
    I already know that it must be used on new mobile devices, and of course I do not expect that it may work on old devices, this is not the problem

So the questions is

Can you use Mobile shaders together with the Red Area lights? If yes, how do you do it?

Are Read area lights compatible with mobile shaders? If not, what shaders can be used for mobile that works?

The problem is that I can not make the scene to be tested on the mobile, because when I change the shader included in the floor and wall of the demo scene to Mobile Shader (that is the one that gives better perfomance) the lights do not work anymore, I mean that there is no light showing on the floor or wall, so it seems that it does not work or is not compatible the area lights directly with mobile shaders, and maybe if possible it may be needed to change something or do something

When it was done the mobile tests that you have done have you used mobile shaders? or what shaders did you use for the mobile test?

Thanks for your help

40. edredar

edredar

Hello there again. Now I have way simpler question. How can I use redLights with ShaderForge shaders at all? In Windows builds it works fine in Deffered with custom redlights shader, but in WebGL it doesn't work. However, it works in WebGL when I use Standard shader, as well in the editor. What am I missing? Here is the shader again.

Attached Files:

41. xexex

xexex

Hi MPanknin
    Is there any ETA for when the redLights will support Unity 5.5? @MPanknin

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  42. sajberek

sajberek

Hi

Any luck running redlight on Unity 5.5?

43. MPanknin

MPanknin

I don't see any reasons why it shouldn't work with procedurally generated content. In the end it all depends on the shaders you are using for rendering your meshes.

Btw. Support for Unity 5.5 is W.I.P.

44. MPanknin

MPanknin

We haven't discarded any idea so far nor have we agreed on one certain technique either... :)

Approximating Soft Shadows with a bunch of regular light sources might work, but it would also have a significant impact on your drawcalls for example. Moreover I imagine it quite tricky to balance the correct amount and intensity of "Shadow Proxy Lights" with respect to the shape and size of the emitter.

syscrusher likes this.
  45. MPanknin

MPanknin

In order to use mobile shaders you have to perform the same steps as for using the legacy shaders. You can find an example in the redLights/LegacySupport directory.

The essential bit is adding one of the following multi_compile macros to the shader source files:
    • REDLIGHT_USE_NORMAL
    • REDLIGHT_USE_LAMBERT
    • REDLIGHT_USE_LEGACY
    I just tested the Mobile-Bumped.shader as well as the Mobile-Diffuse.shader. They both work properly in Deferred path with the current version, however in Forward path there are some glitches. Not sure, what's causing it, though.

I'll look into it while preparing the updated version for Unity 5.5.

SpaceRay likes this.
  46. MPanknin

MPanknin

Integration with ShaderForge was never officially supported from our side. So I can't really comment on your problem right now. I'll take a look into your shader and see if I can find anything.

47. MPanknin

MPanknin

We are currently working on updating redLights to Unity 5.5.

xexex likes this.
  48. MPanknin

MPanknin

Please see my answer above regarding ShaderForge support.

49. MPanknin

MPanknin

In addition to updating redLights to Unity 5.5 we're also fixing the issues with our IES rendering that were spotted by @gabrielefx a while ago.

We are using IES Viewer 2.99 to validate our results. Please note that in the next version we will only support axially symmetric light profiles. Our IES parser has also been updated and is much more stable regarding different IES source files, so there is no need to pipe your profiles through IESViewer (Import/Export) anymore.

[​IMG]

50. Hedonsoft

Hedonsoft

I just bought this asset imported it into a new project, followed the setup instructions in the manual but I'm getting these errors in the gi demo scene:

This custom render path shader needs to have at least 2 passes.
    and
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

In the light types demo I get the errors:
    Invalid pass number (1) for Graphics.Blit (Material "redPlant/Internal-DeferredShading" with 1 passes)
    Invalid pass number (1) for Graphics.Blit (Material "redPlant/Internal-DeferredShading" with 1 passes)

What is the cause?