Search Unity

[RELEASED] Photon Chat UI Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by The-Knights-of-Unity, Jan 17, 2016.

1. The-Knights-of-Unity

The-Knights-of-Unity

Hello!
    We are The Knights of Unity and we would like to proudly present you an asset
    that we've developed in cooperation with Exit Games.

Asset Store

Photon Chat UI enables you to easily add a great looking chat system to your games.
    Drag a single prefab into the scene to add a complex chat module, featuring:

Tabbed channels dock. Each chat channel gets a tab.
    Floating windows. Allow users to drag channels into new windows.
    Customizable Emoticons. A set of Emoji is included. Easy to exchange.
    Private messages. Click on a name to open a private channel.
    Modern and flexible UI. Editable uGUI prefabs allow flexibility.
    Integration with PUN. Optionally automates login of users.

This package contains prefabs and components for a powerful but simple to setup chat UI, based on Photon Chat (a separate product). Coding is not required but supported: the source is included and commented. A pdf manual helps you with the initial steps.

UI artwork and emojis can be used in your projects or changed to your needs.

Updates planned - depending on your feedback!

Feel free to discuss!

SecretAnorak likes this.
  2. alto971

alto971

Hello
    i'm really interested by your asset, but i need to be sure it suit to my needs
    Does this asset works with PUN realtime-turnbased-PUN on cloud and not only with "photon server" ??

3. jrbourne

jrbourne

Well, I hoped that this would be simple - but I spent the day reading code and really couldn't figure out how to get started. Sure, there are a few things - but what I need most is a complete example that I could try out - something on the order of the vikings example, but using this kit. Even though $10 isn't much, it would be good to keep your customers believing that they can do something with "simple." Please post here a very simple example.

4. John-G

John-G

Does it work with Photon Bolt?

5. tobiass

tobiass

@alto971: This package requires a Photon Chat subscription when you get more users (development/testing is free with up to 20 users).

@John G.: You should be able to use the UI with messages you send via Bolt, but the package is built primarily for Photon Chat. This uses a separate connection. Depending on your needs, that can be a "pro": Your players can chat, even when they are not in the same game! If you encourage guilds and teams, it can be very interesting to allow chat without finding the same game first.

@jrbourne: There is a demo scene in the package, which should be as simple as can be. It doesn't show any gameplay but that would be "on top" and whatever you want to do game-wise.
    Did you find the Documentation.pdf in the package? This might give you another perspective on the code.

6. jrbourne

jrbourne

I like the way that the package actually works. There are several things that I have not yet figured out:

1. When I press and emoticon, the name of the emoticon is printed in text in the chat - not the graphic representation of the icon. Wonder how you get the icon to display.
    2. Second, when I move the character around in the game (the normal camera), the view changes (of course...). However, I find it distracting to see the rotation of the view when I move the cursor to the chat box. I wonder if there is a way to move to the chat box (say, for example, with a shift-tab or something so as not to disrupt the view)?

Thanks,

jrbourne

7. The-Knights-of-Unity

The-Knights-of-Unity

@jrbourne
    1. Thank you for feedback! We'll work on that! We hope that we'd be able to ship this feature in the next update.

2. As I understand your problem is connected with rotating a camera while using a chat. The easiest solution for that would be to disable the camera rotation component while using a chat - if you aren't able to write such a script please tell us - we will write it for you (in this case please give us more information about your camera rotation component/script so we'd be able to write perfect solution for your situation).

8. Avinash-pdy

Avinash-pdy

Hi, i recently bought this plugin. It works perfectly in an empty project. When i import it in an existing project, after import is done i get this error. I am not sure if this error causes the issue but chat UI doesnt work. I can see in logs that Photon Chat is connecting but UI doesnt work. We are using it with PUN+. Thats not an issue because it worked with PUN+ in empty project. Did anyone faced this issue before.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.UI.Graphic.OnRebuildRequested () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Graphic.cs:466)
    UnityEngine.UI.GraphicRebuildTracker.OnRebuildRequested () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/GraphicRebuildTracker.cs:33)
    UnityEngine.CanvasRenderer.RequestRefresh ()

Found Solution:
    Exception after import caused all default values and texts in all prefabs to become some random value. I just set it them to correct values from an empty project where it was working. And everything is working now.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  9. Avinash-pdy

Avinash-pdy

One more issue. InputField does not work on devices. We can not enter chat message. Neither "Done" or "return" key works. I am looking to resolve it my self but please let me know if there is a fix.

10. tobiass

tobiass

Afaik, the package uses the default input field of Unity's UI. Did you try to figure out if this is maybe a known issue in some Unity version? Did you try to update to a slightly newer revision?

11. novaVision

novaVision

Please, update you package to the latest 1.68 version of PUN. That override new files with a old version files

12. The-Knights-of-Unity

The-Knights-of-Unity

We are working on it but we need more info. Regarding to this we had send you a private message.

13. Avinash-pdy

Avinash-pdy

Hi,

I am using the latest version. I fixed the issue.

Prob:- Its input doesnt work on Moblie. I noticed that UGUI's InputField doesn't respond to mobiles "done" or "return" buttion.

Solution:- We inherited from InputField and then started checking m_Keyboard.done in Update look. Which solved the issue.

void Update ()
    {
    if (m_Keyboard != null && m_Keyboard.done && !m_Keyboard.wasCanceled) {
    m_keyboardDone.Invoke ();
    }
    }

14. The-Knights-of-Unity

The-Knights-of-Unity

Thank you for finding solution. We will fix this in the next update.

15. warren-miller-maltd

warren-miller-maltd

hi

is there a way to limit the number of messages stored in a room - so when a user joins they don't have to download thousands of old messages into the UI? thx.

16. tobiass

tobiass

@warren miller: There is an option in the API to define how many messages per channel you fetch.
    If you have lots of channels, that might still be a lot of messages.
    I am at Unite Amsterdam, so I can't look up stuff right now. Will ask a colleague to post something.

warren-miller-maltd likes this.
  17. JohnTube

JohnTube

Hi @warren miller

You should use the overload method of ChatClient.Subscribe that takes 2 parameters.
    The second one is the number of messages to fetch from cache if any:
    -1: all cached messages
    0: no cached messages
    >0: maximum number of messages

warren-miller-maltd likes this.
  18. warren-miller-maltd

warren-miller-maltd

thanks - am I correct in thinking the Demo only shows 10?

19. The-Knights-of-Unity

The-Knights-of-Unity

This is default value that can be changed in ChatUI.cs in line 68.

20. steffanPL

steffanPL

Ok, so I have a huge problem, here's whats going on:
    I have Unity 5.3.5f1 and after importing your chat asset (1.0) everything works great.
    However - after I am adding your another asset: Photon Unity Networkin Free 1.72- demo is not working anymore.
    No errors, no warnings it's just not responiding to anything ( any UI controll, any key input).

I also tried first to load Photon Unity Networking, and then Chat asset, but it's also not working, giving lots of different erros.

What should I do ?
    I can downgrade Unity while you will work on solution, which version have you tested ?

21. The-Knights-of-Unity

The-Knights-of-Unity

We are working on the solution for this problem. We will inform you about the progress.

22. tobiass

tobiass

@steffanPL: The issue is more likely due to PUN being updated very recently with some breaking changes. The Chat UI Package is being updated to fit well with PUN again.
    You could take a look at your (currently broken) project and find folders named "PhotonChatApi". If there is more than one existing, keep \Assets\PhotonChatApi\ and delete the other.

23. DRIVER1ksa

DRIVER1ksa

24. YCE2010

YCE2010

Hello:
    Great package, but I have a little trouble. I'm working with PlayFab-Photon. I can authenticate to the Photon Chat well, using the PlayFab credentials. I'm using public bool Connect(ExitGames.Client.Photon.Chat.AuthenticationValues authenticationValues = null) function, of course. The problem is that when I send a message, or I receive a message, the chat don't shows the name of the player, it shows the ID. Look the image. Other thing, will be good if you add a more complete example or at least a video with the most of functionalities of the package.
    Best regards
    Chat.jpg

25. DRIVER1ksa

DRIVER1ksa

test new update 1.1

not fixed

26. malek256

malek256

We at SHG Studios are fans of Knights of Unity and their work - we've just picked up this asset for our upcoming online CCG and if we have any hints, tips or trouble we'll update and advise here. Thanks for this asset and your always high quality work!

27. Nadan

Nadan

Hi, I'm using this chat in my game and some players can see other players private messages when they log in with the same name. So I quess I need to get the password work.

In the Photon Chat UI it reads:

Events
    1. Connect ( login as string or InputField ) - connects to the chat server and authorizes with specified login. Note that if you want to use password authorization you need to call Connect(ExitGames.Client.Photon.Chat.AuthenticationValues) from your code.

But I don't know how to do this?

How do I make the password work with the chat?

28. kidne

kidne

I'm wondering how to make local/internal messages post to chat? Similar to the legacy PUN Chat that allows you to type commands in chat like '//help'

29. zoran404

zoran404

You'll need a script to intercept chat messages and if it's a special command then to execute the command instead of sending the message in the chat.

30. staragent

staragent

Hello Dear.
    I 'm gonna use this package in order to send emoitcons in photon chat sdk.
    I need to send emoji.
    Then Is your package is fit for me?
    How to use this?
    Thanks.

31. jrbourne

jrbourne

Hello all:

I lhave had photonchat for a couple of years and it has worked well. However, I loaded unity 2017.1 and have been trying 2017.2 (which seems vastly improved). Loading Photon (version 1.86) and photonchat together seems to work ok except unity 2017.2 crashes after doing a build. The Photon wizard says that only 1.85 is supported and that the user may have all sorts of problem. Indeed, I did. Wondering if anyone else has 1.86 photon with photonchat?

32. Cagsawa

Cagsawa

unread badge doesn't work please help me with this problem.
    thanks.

33. Wothanar

Wothanar

i need help asap, we are experiencing a bug , we use PUN and photon chat ui, and alot of plugins and stuff, the pun works fine it dosnt disconnect only we get lost internet or something like that, but the photon chat ui it disconnect when some body join to room , its weird, i cant find a solution to this and my boss its kind nervouse and he wants me to fix it , so i come here to search help, any one have experienced it? we use unity 2017.4.17f1 TLS version and the photon chat with 100 users plan and the chat with 100 users plan too, and we need the chat fixed ASAP coz its a social game so we need it asap working thanks.
    our PUN version its v1.87 (11. October 2017)

34. tobiass

tobiass

@Wothanar: It makes sense to update PUN Classic (which includes the Chat API) to check if this is a problem that was fixed since 2017.
    When someone else joins, other clients disconnect? All the time? Can you repro? Is the app loading something, when new players join?

35. Wothanar

Wothanar

@Wothanar: It makes sense to update PUN Classic (which includes the Chat API) to check if this is a problem that was fixed since 2017. it dosnt, we have all working on that version and if i update the api would break the entire proyect and this is the most big proyect im worked for, its uses assets bundles alot.
    The game its working fine all less the photon chat ui that get disconnected and dosnt reconnect , so the problem is from photon chat ui or something related to photon? the people reported this bug, and i experience it too, and i think its always im not sure if it is or not i cant waste more days testing the bug , it happends its there, so now im creating my own chat using cs and php and txt files via webserver coz my boss dont like to wait so much :( so well i cant fix the photon chat ui bug so im creating my own.

36. Wothanar

Wothanar

the app loads what you mean? it loads the game object of the player that instantiate, and yeah it loads from web requests it have alot of plugins it uses youtube stream stuff and videos from youtube to display in 3d screens and it uses a plugin for radio that its streamed too and works well all works fine less the photon chat ui u.u

37. JohnTube

JohnTube

Hi @Wothanar
    I have replied on our forum here.
    Let's continue the discussion there.

38. Wothanar

Wothanar

ok i saw the post thanks