Search Unity

[RELEASED] Photo Session - Ingame Precision Screenshot Utility

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rowlan, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Artini

Artini

Your images looks very nice. SICS Games assets are great. Glad, that you have one.

2. wjt6

wjt6

I'm using URP 12.1.7 with Unity 2021.3.6f1. Importing photo session to my project causes this error:

Assets/Rowlan/PhotoSession/Runtime/RenderPipeline/Legacy/DepthOfFieldModule.cs(144,21): error CS0104: 'FloatParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.FloatParameter'

Simply removing the legacy & hdrp folders or not importing them causes namespace errors.

Assets/Rowlan/PhotoSession/Runtime/Settings/PhotoSessionSettings.cs(168,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Hdrp' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets/Rowlan/PhotoSession/Runtime/Settings/PhotoSessionSettings.cs(174,20): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'DepthOfFieldSettings' does not exist in the namespace 'Rowlan.PhotoSession.Urp' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

What am I supposed to do to fix this?

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's odd. I just tried with that exact Unity and URP version and don't get that error. Which version of Photo Session do you use, ie is it the latest from the Asset Store?

And do you have PostProcessing installed in URP, ie the legacy one for built-in?

Please install Photo Session as it is, latest from the store, don't delete anything. You can check the scripting define symbols that are being used by looking at the assembly definition files.

Rowlan.PhotoSession.Editor

upload_2022-8-7_10-43-10.png

Rowlan.PhotoSession.Runtime.asmdf

upload_2022-8-7_10-43-30.png

Those will activate/deactivate code depending on the render pipeline.

Edit:

I just tried with installing the legacy post processing and get the same error. Is there a reason why you have them installed in URP? Uninstalling them via package manager should solve that problem.

4. Artini

Artini

Yes, I have had the same problem with URP.
    As Rowlan said, just uninstall legacy post processing from URP project,
    and Photo Session will work properly.
    If you wish to use legacy post processing, just create the project with built-in pipeline.

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

May I ask you guys why you have it installed? URP has its own.

I can check for both scripting define symbols and create an error popup if that's required.

6. Artini

Artini

Another examples of Photo Session screenshots taken in Unity 2021.3.7f1 with built-in pipeline.
    Now, I wonder, how to make a finer adjustments to the DOF effect.
    Need to experiment more.
    gcst01.jpg gcst02.jpg gcst03.jpg

Rowlan likes this.
  7. Artini

Artini

Good question. I do not know why.
    Thanks to more experiments with Photo Session my knowledge about using post processing
    in different pipelines has increased.
    One more reason to use Photo Session: it is good for you, your knowledge about Unity and well being.

8. Rowlan

Rowlan

Did you maybe upgrade from built-in? Could also be an asset dependency that installed it automatically.

I'll check for both scripting define symbols and write an error in the console. Just to be on the safe side.

Oh yes, making yourself familiar with the post processing pays off. There aren't that many settings I always use, but they're improving the resulting image considerably.

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

Best to toy around with DoF on its own, Photo Session is driving the parameters. I just toyed around some more with that fantasy asset and just can't get myself to use DoF nor Bloom, otherwise those clouds won't show up the way they are. I just love them.

h3.jpg
    h4.jpg

Also, I need to toon-ify that horse :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  10. Artini

Artini

Looks very nice.
    Sometimes, I also like images taken without DOF.
    Below are my other screenshots taken with Photo Session in Unity 2021.3.7f1 with built-in pipeline.
    bst01.jpg bst02.jpg

11. wjt6

wjt6

Yes I have the legacy post prcoessing in my project. Removing it causes a a handful of errors from other assets. It seems like any weather-related asset I use gives error if the post processing is remove. Instead of try to fix all those errors I just import PP again and added "using FloatParameter = UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter"
    in DepthOfFieldModule.cs and it started working fine

12. Rowlan

Rowlan

The update with the URP changes is live now.

13. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thanks for the feedback. I do wonder why those assets need built-in postprocessing in URP. I guess that's how it got implicitly installed. First built-in installation, then the URP upgrade.

Fully qualifying the path works naturally, however you still got 2 variations of the same logic active.

Anyway, 2 things:

* I show an error box with the next update:

error.png

* there was an issue with the urp and legacy settings. For some reason their folders were swapped. That's why you got the other error when you deleted Legacy and HDRP. Sorry about that. With the new update it should be safe to delete them now.

14. Artini

Artini

Thanks for the update.
    Below is an example from URP made in Unity 2022.1.12f1
    mck01.jpg mck02.jpg

Rowlan likes this.
  15. Artini

Artini

I am still enjoying Photo Session.
    Yet another example from URP made in Unity 2022.1.12f1
    mc0201.jpg

Rowlan likes this.
  16. Rowlan

Rowlan

Very nice! The blue Unity skybox sticks ou a bitt. Have you tried adding something to the blue sky?
    If not, here's a cubebox I created with the excellent Skybox Creator, ideal for that purpose. Just a little faint cloudy noise gives it a lot of volume:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hu4z07idh4zr4c/Cloudy Sky.exr?dl=0

Would be interesting how it looks like then. Also add a bit of alpha so that the clouds are only faint and don't get into the foreground. I usually have to adapt it when I use the Unity clouds in HDRP, they are always too opaque.

17. Artini

Artini

Thanks for the comments and the tips.
    I have just forgotten about adding some other sky, than default.

18. Artini

Artini

Below are some experiments with Toon City from SICS series.
    tc201.jpg tc202.jpg tc203.jpg

Rowlan likes this.
  19. Rowlan

Rowlan

Nice view, especially with the DoF combined with the height

20. Artini

Artini

Thanks.
    Below is a Photo Session screenshot with your sky.
    URP, Unity 2022.1.12f1
    mc01.jpg

Rowlan likes this.
  21. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

Back when it was on github never worked for me, is that same asset or something is changed? I guess the issue was with macbook keyboard.. Game never went to screenshot mode even after pressing the shortcut key.

22. Rowlan

Rowlan

Improved & bugfixes & maintained. And it's a means for people who used my work for free for years to give support back :)

Nobody mentioned an issue like that. But the screenshot key is optional and selectable. Did you try that? From what I've learned on Mac you have to press a function key first to get to the default F12 because otherwise the key works as media key.

i.png

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  23. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

I changed keys in inspector to test it none of it worked. I have old github repo & will test it again if it works definitely gonna buy your asset.

24. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's been tested on Mac and the Asset Store version works.

25. Rowlan

Rowlan

Just like Animation Preview Pro before now Photo Session made it also into the Top Paid Assets on the Unity Asset Store. And that while 2 Unity sales are running:

ps-top.jpg

https://assetstore.unity.com/top-assets/top-paid

Thank you very much everyone for your support!!! :)

26. Rowlan

Rowlan

I took a Photo Session today :D

r1.jpg
    r2.jpg
    r3.jpg
    r4.jpg
    r5.jpg

27. Rowlan

Rowlan

28. Rowlan

Rowlan

Had to distribute the prefabs of the factory using my asset YAPP :D

yapp ramp start.jpg
    yapp ramp flight.jpg

29. netpost

netpost

@Rowlan I really like Photo session. Yes, you create another very useful asset!

But I have a tiny little problem. I am mostly using a workflow involving cinemachine. As you know cinemachine use a Brain and this interfere with your marvelous asset. Yes your splendid asset isn't a free running chicken anymore, it is stuck in the Cinemachine cage. Meaning I can not move the camera when pressing F12. :(

Photo session would need to capture the Cinemachine camera transform and bypass it when pressing F12. Of course pressing F12 after the photo shooting would toggle cinemachine back on. :D

For me it's a little complicate to do but since you have a better and bigger Brain than Cinemachine, I am sure you will figure out a way to make this work. Go Rowlan! Go! :)

30. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thank you :) Photo Session is very flexible in that regard, I needed the toggling of scripts several times. For one there's this:

scc.png

You can extend it just via drag & drop. Meaning once you enter photo session mode those gameobjects / scripts will be disabled and when you exit photo session mode, they will be re-enabled.

And then there's the AutoSetup.cs class which includes core scripts, currently:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private static readonly string[] script_Blacklist = {
    2.     "SimpleCameraController", // Unity HDRP Demo
    3.     "LookWithMouse", // Unity HDRP Demo
    4.     "CharacterController", // Unity HDRP Demo
    5.     "PlayerMovement", // Unity HDRP Demo
    6.     "MFreeLookCamera", // Malbers FreeLookCameraRig
    7.     "CameraWallStop", // Malbers FreeLookCameraRig
    8.     "CinemachineBrain"
    9.     };
    Those will be automatically detected. Photo Session is all with source, so easy to extend. However, CinemachineBrain is already in that list. Do you have more detail what might be blocking the movement for you? Could be yet another script on the camera. I'd be happy to extend those defaults.

Or do you have a demo scene / description about the setup I can test? I tested with Horse Animset Pro because I know Malbers uses CinemachineBrain in his demo scenes. Works just fine. I guess it may be another script that's controlling the camera in your project which needs to be disabled. Just let me know which one please, so I can put it on the ignore list.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  31. netpost

netpost

It strange I dont see anything else on the camera. Also you are right the camera is already bypass when hitting F12

Attached Files:

32. Rowlan

Rowlan

How is the camera controlled? From your screenshot I'm wondering if you use eg a dolly drack of CineMachine or something. Or is it FPS movement? Either way you need to have Photo Session auto-deactivate / toggle whatever drives the player's movement.

Feel free to hit me up on discord to get this tracked down faster. User is Rowlan#9633

33. netpost

netpost

upload_2022-9-1_15-44-55.png
    Thanks for the quick reply I will continu this on the discord. :)

34. Artini

Artini

You have released another great asset:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/genesis-for-microverse-231427
    Hope, that you will create Unity forum thread for it.
    Probably, I will have some questions.
    So far, I could not even start up MicroVerse in URP in Unity 2022.1.14f1.
    There was some error about missing reference in the demo scene for MicroSplat,
    even if there were no listed dependencies for it on:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/microverse-core-collection-232976

Rowlan likes this.
  35. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thanks, yeah, I'll create one. Waiting for the update to go live. Regarding MicroVerse: That's fixed, but pending review, Asset Store takes their time. In case you need the fix urgently, join the MicroVerse discord, register with your invoice and get access to the github repo.

36. Artini

Artini

Thanks for the answer - all the best for you.

37. Artini

Artini

Just wonder about requirements for capturing EXR format of images in 360 degree capture mode.
    I have tried it, but just got empty images.
    Any tips on that matter. Thanks in advance.

38. Rowlan

Rowlan

Which Unity version and render pipeline did you use?

39. Artini

Artini

Thanks for the prompt response.
    I will test again and post the details.
    Previously, I have tested HDRP and URP, but do not remember which version of Unity,
    I have used.

Rowlan likes this.
  40. Artini

Artini

Hi.
    In Unity 2021.3.15f1 HDRP, it works now, which is awesome.
    Sorry, to bother you.

Rowlan likes this.
  41. Rowlan

Rowlan

Took a Photo Session trip to a city that's been invaded by aliens :D

42. Rowlan

Rowlan

An update focusing on HDRP is incoming regarding motion blur and depth of field. Here's a screenshot I just created with Photo Session:

deer 04.jpg

43. JackieXie

JackieXie

can the photo session work without time pause?

44. Rowlan

Rowlan

Yes, there's a setting for the time scale. However keep in mind that some features of Unity itself might not work correctly, eg motion blur, depth of field etc when that's active. So you'd have to disable those for the screenshots.

45. Rowlan

Rowlan

I pushed an update which allows you to create screenshots directly from the viewer. It's quite handy when you want to create screenshots quickly and not click around while having the viewer on another screen.

Also, the assets of some publishers are just most awesome.

Screens I took today while testing the update for Photo Session:

fluffy 01.jpg
    fluffy 02.jpg
    monkey.jpg
    fight.jpg Monkey King 05 - Panda - 2023.12.14 - 09.26.31.73.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  46. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's the Holidy Season. Enjoy some Photo Session vouchers :)

ASV-XNV6-YR7L-3F6X-4F33-W6VR
    ASV-UV9L-YNAL-6T3K-PXJY-NGDW

Please reply/like if you use them, so that others don't try them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    UnitySynopsis likes this.
  47. UnitySynopsis

UnitySynopsis

Thanks!

Rowlan likes this.
  48. SoloHonk75

SoloHonk75

ASV-UV9L-YNAL-6T3K-PXJY-NGDW

Unfortunately no longer valid... :(
    don't you have another one? ;)

Rowlan likes this.
  49. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thanks for the info. You're in luck, I actually got one left. Sent you as DM. Enjoy! :)

SoloHonk75 likes this.