Search Unity

[RELEASED] PBR Doors pack

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by NOT_Lonely, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Maksoudbeast

Maksoudbeast

Your work is literally incredible. I'm never compelled to actually go to a forum thread and post unless that asset is just jaw dropping - you've marked that in my book.

I believe your doors pertain to most game genres and that it's quite flexible. But I would've bought this asset if it contained doors that could be used in survival games. Like as seen here (sorry for low resolution picture, it's from a video): http://prntscr.com/7s96y4. Here's the video:
    . http://prntscr.com/7s99s4 (another example of another structure).

Just adding a few weathered door elements with a list of modular door locks to be reused on multiple of doors. If you fulfill this genre, I'd believe you'd sell even more because a lot of Unity developers are trying to make survival games (even though most of the efforts don't see the light of day).

Your pack is great and if you add another genre of doors, it'd capture the attention of a much larger group of developers and it'll be very well worth the 15 bucks, considering it already is! This is just my honest advise to someone I see with so much potential. If I qualify for a voucher, I'd be ready to throw my chair out of the window but that's just my dream.

Regardless, if you add this feature, I'll definitely be buying your pack and as well as many others. Keep up your awesome work and let me know if you have any questions on ideas for fulfilling survival esique doors.

2. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi! Thank you so much! :)
    You have a good idea! I will think about this type of doors) It's very interesting and actual.

3. Teila

Teila

I would also love some more rustic doors.

4. sluice

sluice

It's mostly missing really simple doors, in my opinion.
    Like a simple wooden bedroom door.

Teila likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila

Or a door for a peasant's cottage. :)

6. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

I will expand this package with all what you listed)
    Now I work on another project - Destructible Props pack for Unity 5 PBR. It's remake of my old asset. It is almost finished) Then I can make updates for PBR Doors)

7. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hey guys! I have news for you :)

Big update is coming!
    In the new version you will get at least 5 new door models.
    But main feature of the coming soon new version is door editor that allows to change width, hight, depth of the door and more. So this pack will be much more flexible and you will able to fit it into your project without any problems.
    Also, the main script is more perfect and optimized in the coming update.

After this update the price will be increased.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Teila likes this.
  8. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Can you thrieve for more photorealism? Your assets look great, but somehow they still look a tiny bit cartoonish for me.
    Else I would have already purchased everything from you.
    My game is packed with photorealistic assets, and your assets would not perfectly fit in there.
    Thank you.

9. Teila

Teila

I forgot about your doors! Buying today. Can't wait to see the update. :)

10. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Haha)) Ok) Thank you! I think you will be happy with the update :)

11. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi! Door Editor almost finished and now you can check this out in field:

12. Teila

Teila

Very nice! Can you make prefabs of the doors after you edit them? I ask because I want to be able to make a bunch of doors of one size and then easily place them in buildings along a city block rather than adjust each one separately. Also, for those using in-game building systems, the doors could then be used in those situations.

13. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

It's already prefabs, you just need to press 'Apply' button after editing) Or you can easily create unique prefabs for one door type but with different sizes by drag & drop the object from your hierarchy to the project folder)
    Or you may even edit multiple doors at the same time if you select them all and move sliders.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Teila likes this.
  14. Teila

Teila

This is what I wanted. :) That way, the door can be placed into the building system's editor for use during run-time. Thanks! I was happy I bought it before, but this just makes it better!

Very useful for my city.

15. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Good! I'm happy that you found it useful)
    What do you mean?
    And just curious, can you show screenshots where you use these doors? :)

16. Teila

Teila

I can't at the moment because the system we are going to use is not finished yet. :) But eventually I will show pictures.

17. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hey guys!
    I'm happy to tell you that Doors Editor is finished and now I'm integrating it with all doors from the pack)

Here's a latest test of all features:

julianr, Teila and ThunderTruck like this.
  18. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi guys!
    Here's improved version of the door shader with the dirt parameter.
    Now I'm preparing this pack for upload. Well, update coming very soon! :)

julianr and Teila like this.
  19. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hey!
    The new version of PBR Doors pack has been uploaded!
    These are the last days to buy it at the old price!

jayimagination likes this.
  20. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Just finished the video demo of the new version :)

julianr likes this.
  21. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

Hi,

Great asset, i'm using it on a house, but i've found a bug.
    If you edit the door parameters with the Y position other than 0, the mesh gets all crazy.

Can you test it? It's a pain for editing all my second floor doors.

22. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi! Thank you!
    Can you record a short video or giff to show me? Because I have no this bug.

23. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

I'm using Unity 5.2.3f1

I've created a new project, imported the Doors Asset, and tested it, same result:

24. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Ahh, I got it! It looks like I used global position instead local. I'm sorry for that bug! I will fix it soon and send you the script!

25. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

ATTENTION!
    The bug with the incorrect height setup is fixed. All who got this bug, until fixed version appears on the store, please send me a message and I will send you fixed version of the code.

26. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

Thank you for the quick fix. It's working now.

27. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Thank you for the information about this bug!

28. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

Hi,

Can I mirror a door? So it would open with the hinges on the opposite side.
    This would cover all the necessary possible openings for a door.
    Example: In the demo Door15 opens from left to right, but i need it to open just like Door01 opens, from right to left.

29. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi!
    Yes, you can. Simply set X-scale of main door game object to -1 and it will work. :)

30. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

Great. Thank you. :)

31. chuckyluv869

chuckyluv869

Excellent package and the update is great too. We found a bug with using the package with UFPS where the functionality of the doors was intermittent. It has to do with the part in the DoorScript.cs code that checks to see if the character controller is looking at the door before enabling the door text or door open/close functionality. UFPS's character controller is set up a bit different than the standard character controller or the modified character controller provided in the package so that had to be accounted for in the Maximum Looking at Dot Product setting.

The coder I work with and I were able to identify the issue and he was able to modify the code to get it to function well for the standard, the modified, and UFPS character controller. In the modified code it allows for that numerical value to be set by the user. However, it looks like a -0.3 setting works well for all the character controllers we tested as noted above.

I've included the modified file here.

Thanks again for the great package! I love the garage door addition!

-Chuck

[Code removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  32. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi!
    I'm really happy, that my asset is helpful for you!
    Thank you for the edited code! But can you remove whole code from the forum thread and just add lines which you fixed or added?
    Thank you for understanding!

hippocoder likes this.
  33. Sabathius

Sabathius

Damn it! Yet another MUST BUY on the asset store! You guys are stealing my paychecks!

34. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

haha))

35. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi guys!
    Here's a short video tutorial about using PBR Doors with Standard Unity controller.

36. neonyourself

neonyourself

Hi,

I'm having an issue and I'm not sure if it is this asset or pro builder (or something else). I see the issue when I scale the door prefabs - run the game, close the game and go back into the scene. The door then looks deformed. This always happens when I scale a door prefab- even in a new empty scene. However I couldn't replicate it in your demo scene. I'm running Unity 5.3.4. I've attached an image showing the issue.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Attached Files:

37. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi!
    It looks like you're scaling the door manually instead using Door editor.

38. neonyourself

neonyourself

My bad! Thanks for the quick replay and great work!

39. Teila

Teila

I finally had a chance to use your doors and they are great. I will try to remember to leave a review. I haven't used the animators yet...so I will have to add to the review after I do...but worth reviewing just for the ease of use.

Hope you are still around and making assets!

40. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi!
    Thank you!
    Yes, I'm making assets) Now I'm working on the update for HQ Residential House.

julianr and Teila like this.
  41. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

This looks really good. I particularly like the look of the editor, but I'm worried about the PBR shader. I make mobile VR games that need low draw calls and as much optimisation as possible (I often end up using Legacy/VertexLit rendering path and materials)

Is it easy enough to replace the textures used or will it break functionality?

42. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Yes, it's possible to change the shader to any other. You just need to manualy colorize the base color texture in Photoshop or any other software. It's very easy to do: simply open the base color texture in Photoshop and using the "mask" texture select needed parts using Magic Wand Tool by color, then simply put a new layer over the main texture, fill it with color and use Multiply mode on this layer.
    One more word about optimization - my doors use skinned mesh render, so it's only one draw call per door =)

jeromeWork likes this.
  43. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Thanks! Purchased :) will ask again in these forums if I have any problems with altering the base colour texture, but it sounds easy enough.

44. clinton-reddie

clinton-reddie

Hello, I just bought these doors and they look great. However, I was hoping that the frame and door were separate meshes, so I could use a rigidbody/hinge joint to move the door, instead of animation. Is this possible? Thanks.

45. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi!
    Thank you! It's not a problem to use rigidbody and hinge joint with this setup. You just have to put rigidbody component and all other on door joint empty object which you can find in every door prefab, this will work the same as with separated parts. I used skinned meshes for the doors due the optimization issue. In my setup you get only one draw call per door, but if you will use regular separated meshes you will get minimum 3 draw calls per door (door frame, door, handle).

46. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Thanks! Yes, feel free to ask here!

47. clinton-reddie

clinton-reddie

Thanks for your quick reply. Putting those components on the joint object has everything working properly, except the door doesn't visually move with the collider. It just twists a little in two corners. Am I doing something wrong?

48. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

I think this problem is because you removed Door script from the door. There are an important re-initialisation of all the controller objects (in the Start method of this script), used in the door editror. Search for "Border reparenting" section in this DoorScript, you can remove all the code after this section if you don't need it.

49. clinton-reddie

clinton-reddie

Yes you are right, now it works! Thanks!

50. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

I'm glad that it works for you!