Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Creative [RELEASED] Panoply: Comics and Splitscreen for Unity

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by opertoonist, Sep 9, 2015.

1. HCrowley

HCrowley

Hi @opertoonist, thanks for the feedback

i'm still having problems getting captions to 'stick' to the screen. I wish there was a copy/paste function to be able to copy all the data from one frame and paste it into a different frame (although I realise that data from each individual field can be copy/pasted)

One of the problems I'm experiencing is when caption data at frame 0 gets out of sync with data at the display frame, and consequently Panoply animates the transition (as it should do, of course). So, the position of the caption, or the tail orientation, or whatever, changes during the frame change, and looks... weird

This is all pretty much a learning experiment though, so I'll keep plugging away and try and establish a workflow that avoids that problem. Thanks again for the feedback

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    opertoonist likes this.
  2. HCrowley

HCrowley

I think I can see my problem. The captions are not actually floating in at all, they're fixed at their correct screen position. BUT, the screen transiitions behind them, making it appear as if they're floating in (as with the dialogue in the sample scene). And yet, going through some of the links to other comics, I can see some instances where dialogue floats in but also some instances where it clearly sticks to the screen, so there's obviously something I'm missing... But what?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  3. opertoonist

opertoonist

Could you make a screen capture of what you're seeing and DM me here with it (or contact me here)?

4. HCrowley

HCrowley

I was setting up a small test scene to demonstrate the issue, so I could take a screen capture, and while I was doing that I think I've discovered what my problem was

Dialogue appears to float in (as in the spaceship example scene) if the dialogue is set to appear on the same frame as when the image first appears. If you let the image appear on one frame, and then make the dialogue appear on the next frame (when the user swipes right), then the dialogue appears on screen already fixed at its correct place

Now that I know that, I'll be able to go back over the chapters I've set up so far and fix them

Sorry, should have probably been able to work that out a lot sooner, but my brain's not as spry as it used to be (and it was never that spry to begin with...)

opertoonist likes this.
  5. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

Hi.

Sometime ago, I had some questions with how to use Panoply. I have some new questions :

1) how can I present a panel full screen that goes off the bottom of the device screen and extends to the screen edges. The panel should be anchored to the top center of the device screen with the lower portion of the panel going off screen. Panoply is being used with iOS, Android for phones and tablet devices with the multiple display resolutions and different aspect ratios.

2) then after a delay, the panel pans up to reveal the lower portion of the image. Does this require moving the panel or animating the panoply camera?

Say the image is 4000 x 600
    - first you see the top 2000 x 300 portion
    - then the image scrolls up to show the lower 2000 x 300

Or would this have to be done using multiple panels?

6. opertoonist

opertoonist

You would move the position of the panel's camera from one keyframe to the next.

7. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

inspector frame 1.png inspector frame 2.png
    I see; I did the following which seems to work.

But now, I am having a new issue:

- I set the settings to advance on start

Inspector Panoply settings.png

- I am not sure how to set the matte color value to do a fade in.

Inspector Panel 01 Matte color settings - for fade in?.png Color picker.png

What we want to see is the panel fade into view after the scene starts up. We are just seeing a black screen. I added code to see what step is being played; it is reporting that Panoply has advanced to step 1.

Code (CSharp):
    1.         public void HandleTargetStepChanged(int oldStep, int newStep)
    2.         {
    3.             // do something in response
    4.             Debug.Log($"Panoply step {newStep}");
    5.         }
    Here is some additional debug from running the scene on an iPhone:

UnloadTime: 0.965458 ms

ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: shader

at Opertoon.Panoply.PanelEffects.Awake () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0

Does this require using URP? The project is not currently set up to use a render pipeline.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  8. opertoonist

opertoonist

No, URP is not required for a fade in. Have you set the matte to be black with 100% alpha in step 0, and black with 0% alpha in step 1?

9. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

HI. no I had not set multiple steps with different matte values. That is probably it. The advance on start did start working but I had to rebuild the panels and delete the previous work and start over. Was some internal data corrupt possibly?

10. opertoonist

opertoonist

Not sure; based on what you posted it seems possible that it was working, but didn't seem like it was because the matte hadn't changed.

11. darashayda

darashayda

Hello I am a newbie around here. Hope to learn and deploy own Graphic novels shortly.

Some issues with Input System, need to get the Panopoly to work on Mobile devices and browsers, just want to make sure I find my around the code fast.

No issues with advanced C# coding, just the time is limited to ship some samples to our clients.

Thank you

Dara

12. darashayda

darashayda

I uncommented some useful code in

public class PanoplyController

so at least captured the keyboard events and possibly some Touch functionality to work for an Android build.

I will add some buttons and see if I could actually run the demo on an Android phone.

13. darashayda

darashayda

Stole some code from PanoplyController and attach these methods to buttons for Android. And only the Right click works, Left Click does exactly the right click and up and down do nothing.

So there is a state some place I missed from PanoplyController.

using UnityEngine;

namespace Opertoon.Panoply
    {

public class CCNBUTTON : MonoBehaviour

{
    // Start is called before the first frame update
    void Start()
    {

}

public void OnClickleft()
    {

Debug.Log("Button Click left!!!!!!");

PanoplyCore.DecrementStep(false);
    }

public void OnClickright()
    {

Debug.Log("Button Click right !!!!!!");
    PanoplyCore.IncrementStep(false);
    }

public void OnClickup()
    {

Debug.Log("Button Click up!!!!!!");

if (Application.isEditor)
    {
    PanoplyCore.GoToFirstStep();
    }
    }

public void OnClickdown()
    {

Debug.Log("Button Click down!!!!");

if (Application.isEditor)
    {
    PanoplyCore.GoToLastStep();
    }

}

}

}

opertoonist likes this.
  14. darashayda

darashayda

I think I fixed up a trivial Input System which is based upon the new Unity Input system.

I will build for Android and iOS and test today.

Dara

opertoonist likes this.
unityunity