Search Unity

Creative [RELEASED] Panoply: Comics and Splitscreen for Unity

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by opertoonist, Sep 9, 2015.

1. opertoonist

opertoonist

Any chance you could send me a repro of the issue so I can take a look? To your question, you're better off creating one scene per sketch like you have been (lower memory requirements that way).

2. gm0124816

gm0124816

OK ! I found out what the problem was !

I like a little bit of structure in my projects so I made the images/artwork a child of the Panel as they are part of it. So don't !!!!!

Make an empty gameobject, name it like you want and add the panel and the artwork as children of that and all works just fine !

Might that be the problem Karonte has as well ?

3. gm0124816

gm0124816

After displaying the last panel, the next scene is loaded (or previous if going backwards). This causes (due to the loading) a pause/freeze for a moment.

This is easily solved with a fade between scenes for instance. One can easily integrate the free 'Simple Fade Scene Transition System' in your code 'PanoplyScene.cs' and replace the 'SceneManager.LoadScene(blabla)' with 'Initiate.Fade(previousScenName or nextSceneName, Color.black, 1.5f) to solve this.

The only drawback is that one has to do this after every update of Panoply. Is there no way to integrate this or your own version of a scene fader ? Just a checkbox to indicate if the user wants to use it for this scene. I think it is something a lot of people would love to have.

I also did it via the PanoplyEventManager.OnTargetStepChanged combined with a private for the PanoplyScene to have all properties. It works, but is not that nice since I'm pretty much doing what you do in 'PanoplyScene.cs'. Wouldn't it be lovely if you could add some events like 'OnLastStepTriggered' and 'OnFirstStepTriggered' so we can easily react to these events and for instance open a custom menu for instance ?

4. opertoonist

opertoonist

Ah, good catch — this is a common error, I've made a note to add something about it to the documentation. Glad you figured it out!

5. opertoonist

opertoonist

Great ideas and tips, I'll consider them for a future version!

6. karonte

karonte

Thanks for the answer but i don't undestand what do you mean...Is this a read only property?

7. opertoonist

opertoonist

My bad, looks like that setting isn't available on Android. If you create a demo project that displays Input.acceleration on the screen, are you seeing live values?

8. karonte

karonte

yes. I put a text and I can see the vector3 values changing from zero to one. So I think the accelerometer works.
    But the sprites of the demo still fixed..maybe the default values are wrong?
    regards.

9. gm0124816

gm0124816

Two points :

1) The solution I gave for fading between scenes had problems in build versions, so I implemented one myself based on a video by Brakeys on youtube :

Now it al works and I have exported the panoply package with all modifications to your mail address. Feel free to use it in future distributions (so I don't need to redo it after every update :) ).

2) You have a memory leak in editor due to your prefabs originally being created in a pre 2018 unity version. This is a Unity bug, but, as we all are used from Unity, still is a bug after years and I doubt that it will ever be solved. The only way to really solve that problem is to make your prefabs from scratch in a more recent version.

The link to the discussion : https://forum.unity.com/threads/des...side-a-prefab-instance-is-not-allowed.555868/

Cheers

hopeful and opertoonist like this.
  10. opertoonist

opertoonist

Thanks much for the mods and suggestions, I will take a look!

11. karonte

karonte

Any ideas?

12. opertoonist

opertoonist

Still investigating — getting my machine set up to build for Android again has been more challenging than expected.

karonte likes this.
  13. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

hi @opertoonist I'm considering buying the asset to build for WebGl, with the specific purpose of accessing the hosted pages on mobile (android mostly) so would like to know
    - Is the Parallax issue above sorted
    - Would the parallax effect work with Android accessing a WebGl build (hosted on a webpage)

Kind Regards

14. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

edit - I've tried out the demo links for webgl listed on the Unity asset store page, they do pup up a warning about Webgl compatibility etc for mobile, but it does load the first scene/panel - however, I think it does not detect touch input. I'm testing on a samsung S8, android 9, latest chrome browser.

Yet, WebGl is known to work on these mobiles. Could it be the demos were created with older versions of Unity?
    If there is a demo version of Panoply I'd like to try it before committing if possible.
    Kind Regards

15. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hi @Dirrogate — unfortunately mobile WebGL is not officially supported by Unity, and AFAIK there isn't an existing pipeline to get accelerometer data into a WebGL build (a custom solution would need to be created). Until Unity's support for mobile WebGL improves, there's not much incentive to create that kind of solution. I have identified the cause of the Android-specific issue mentioned above, and I expect to submit a fix within a week (cc @karonte ); however it wouldn't be relevant in your case because WebGL would be the Unity platform you'd be using, not Android (even in an Android web browser).

karonte and Dirrogate like this.
  16. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

Thank you for the reply. It's true, I'm looking at a webGL solution (for now) but it's good to know the native android one will work with the fix, so if there's a native solution needed I can rely on Panoply.
    If it's of interest, give the WebXR exporter for unity (Depanther's git) a look. It has webgl working pretty well for Unity. It's using that for comics (XR comics) is what's of interest for me. If there is a demo version of Panolply, I'd love to investigate this angle.
    Best Regards.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  17. opertoonist

opertoonist

I don't have a demo version available, but if you can share some more about the experience you're going for I can advise.

18. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hi, a friend has been working with de-panther's webXR (I do webGL). Last week he discovered that Unity's webGL (et al) *does* support mobile accelerometer, the trick is to get the webpage to trigger the device's permission alert. He used basic javascript. Once the browser got permission for the page, the webGL began reading (accelerometer, he said).

I haven't had a chance to test with Panoply yet (sorry I don't remember if Panoply uses gyro or acc). As I recall Eric exposed a parameter to control the parallax, so there may be a relatively easy solution even if it isn't supported out of the box.

opertoonist likes this.
  19. opertoonist

opertoonist

Interesting... thanks for the tip, I will take a look.

wetcircuit likes this.
  20. opertoonist

opertoonist

Panoply 1.6.5 is out — this includes a fix for the accelerometer issue on Android (cc @karonte) , as well as updated prefabs to address the memory leak issue identified by @gm0124816 (the legacy prefabs are still included so your existing panels and such won't break). Enjoy!

karonte likes this.
  21. hernandityoyehezkiel

hernandityoyehezkiel

Hello, I'm very-very new to panoply and unity. (frankly, its the first time I use a forum thread) I was wondering, instead of image files (such as .jpg or .png )could i use a transparent video file as an artwork layer for my project? Or is sprite the way to go?

A little background: Im curently adapting a print comic into a digital one. Ive already spliced them into layers (background, middleground, foreground, etc) so i can utilize panoply's parallax system. And then, i want to animate some elements in those layers. I was hoping to animate some characters -- maybe add some looping hair animation, or maybe some background elements like raindrops etc in After Effects -- because thats the software im most familiar about.. and then import them as transparent video to use it in panoply as artwork layer(s).

Thanks so much in advance for the answers and inputs!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  22. opertoonist

opertoonist

Congrats on diving in on all fronts! Unity does support transparent video along with sprites (more about that here), so the decision really comes down to the nature of the material (high frame rate, longer duration, and intricate motion usually points to video over sprites). Whichever way you go, you'll want to make sure you keep an eye on file size for your assets, as when you start getting into animation it's easy to create sequences that will exceed the memory of your target device. Keeping your scenes short is one of the best ways to make sure this doesn't become a problem.

hernandityoyehezkiel likes this.
  23. hernandityoyehezkiel

hernandityoyehezkiel

Thanks for the reply! I'll be sure to keep that in mind and to follow up if I have any questions later on! thanks for letting me know.

opertoonist likes this.
  24. hernandityoyehezkiel

hernandityoyehezkiel

hello there! I'm having difficulties with importing artworks unto panoply. It wont let me drag the artwork (jpg, png, mov) in my "artwork" folder unto the hierarchy tab. Am I doing something wrong? The manual said that i need to import each piece of art as sprite. What does that mean exactly? sorry for the noob question!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  25. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hi @hernandityoyehezkiel , see here (the section Importing and Setting up Sprites) for more info.

hernandityoyehezkiel likes this.
  26. hernandityoyehezkiel

hernandityoyehezkiel

Thanks for the reply Opertoonist and thanks so much for your help!

opertoonist likes this.
  27. AlejLegi0n

AlejLegi0n

Hi! I got Panoply a few days ago and I'm very happy with it so far. I have a weird problem, though...

I just built my first test project to Android, and none of the matte colors are showing on my device. I had a black and white page, and added a semi-transparent matte color to some steps (on the Panels), in order to see how a panel changes color and goes back to white over the course of the story. It works well on Unity, but when I build to my Android, everything just looks black and white.

If I change the color of the sprite itself (not the Matte setting in the panel, but the Color setting on the image object), it does show in the Android build.

Also, I don't see any passive motion at all on my Android, and I'm pretty sure that the fade-in / fade-out transitions that I made for some panels aren't there, either. However, the fade-in / fade-out transitions for the dialog balloons DO work!

(Again, EVERYTHING WORKS ON UNITY, so it's not a functionality issue... I just don't know why it doesn't show on my Android device.)

I think I may be missing some main graphics / rendering setting, but can't find anything so far, and I don't have a lot of experience with Unity yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

----

EDIT:

- Fixed a typo
    - Just realized that the passive motion does work in some panels, but it's super slow compared to what I see on my computer (tried moving the phone in different ways)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  28. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hi @AlejLegi0n , thanks for the report — It's going to take me a few days to look into this, but wanted to let you know that I saw your post. I have seen the issue with passive motion on Android being scaled way down compared to other platforms, but thought it was resolved with the most recent update. Sounds like there may be a shader issue preventing mattes and fades from working as well. Can you post which version of Unity you're using, and the Android device and version you're building for? Thanks.

29. opertoonist

opertoonist

@AlejLegi0n Regarding the shader issue, check your Graphics Settings to make sure the CaptionShader and PanelShader are added to the list of Always Included Shaders -- that may be your problem. Regarding passive motion, I can confirm that for some reason Passive Motion values need to be much higher for Android devices than you would set in the editor. I may try to correct this in an update by scaling up values automatically.

30. opertoonist

opertoonist

@AlejLegi0n A correction on passive motion... lowering the Accelerometer Smoothing value in the Panoply Controller seems to do the trick on Android. This way you don't have to alter your actual passive motion values.

31. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

I just recently starting learning how to use Panoply; the company I work with bought a license & another developer was using it before me. I cannot figure this issue out; I had set up a basic scene from the tutorial. we have multiple manager classes doing things like Photon networking in the game which I needed to include in scene and the Panoply prefab does not respond to arrow keys to advance the frame when the editor is in play mode. Swipe gestures do work when testing on an iPhone.

Any possible causes, setting to check?
    Is there a debug mode to put Panoply into to see if it not getting the key input events?

Scrubbing the timeline in the inspector panel on the prefab dos work.
    We are currently using the old input system with Unity 2020 LTS with version 1.6.5 of Panoply.

32. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

I see what the issue is now; I had the build target set to iOS; the arrow key input get ignored as there is a check for the device type in the update method. Switching between desktop and iOS every time that I need to test Panoply does have a drawback as the textures get crunched which can be time consuming do multiple times in a day. But I was able to work around by adding a conditional compile in the source code.

opertoonist likes this.
  33. TheRealAlpha2

TheRealAlpha2

Hi, I'm new to Panoply and have a couple of questions. I'm trying to follow the tutorial video and some things are not working out the same for me. I'm using Unity 2020.3.11f1 on PC with what I believe is the most up to date version of Panoply.

1. I noticed that the keyframe component panel in the tutorial has lines in it showing how the columns and rows are divided up, but the version I'm using doesn't have them, with no apparent option to turn them on. Is there a way or is that something that was just removed at some point? I only ask because I feel like it helps the layout to see the shapes in advance

2. Images are not connecting to panels properly for me. If I have 3 images in the hierarchy with 1, 2, and 3 on them, all the images attach to every panel regardless of what the base panel is set to in the art component.

I've tried adjusting their positions in the hierarchy list I've deleted and replaced the panels and art and it continues this behavior.

34. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hi @TheRealAlpha2 , to your questions:

1. Yes, lines are now drawn only on every fifth step instead of every step, as the latter was a significant hit on editor performance.

2. Check the Home Position setting for each of your panels -- if you are dragging out a new Panel prefab for each, they should be getting automatically spaced apart 100 units on the x axis so each panel only sees its own art. If you are duplicating the existing instances, however, this won't happen, and the Home Position will be the same for all, which could result in the issue you're seeing.

35. TheRealAlpha2

TheRealAlpha2

Okay, understood as to the lines. I guess I can learn to live without them, I just never saw anything about why they were gone.

As for the Panel prefabs, I should mention I'm pulling each of them the prefabs(new) folder each individually to match how the tutorial does it. The home position according to the Panel component is x100,y0,z0 for every panel.

I deleted the art, put all the panes side by side in the default 2x3 grid, and individually re-added the art to the project. I adding the "1" image, added the art component and directed it to "P01" (the first Panel prefab), The "1" image appeared in all three panels.

I've noticed that the xyz position for the Art component seems to always be x0,y0,z10. When I tried moving the Z locations of the "2" art up and down in it's Artwork component, Below z10 it jumped to the front in all three panels as well. At z0 the images vanish leaving me with the default blue panel.

Eventually going back to what you said about the Home Position of the Panels being spaced out 100 units: I tried manually adjusting all the x to be + or - 100 for each. Moving P01 to x0, leaving P02 at x100, and moving P03 to x300 seems to have fixed things? I gather the fix is just to manually adjust the X by +100 for every panel prefab you add?

(thinking about it, I probably could have seen this better and earlier if I weren't afraid of 3D in unity.)

36. opertoonist

opertoonist

Yes, as you discovered, Home Position is the key here — strange that the auto-adjust wasn't working when you dragged out new prefabs, I'll have to take a look and see if something is broken there.

37. TheRealAlpha2

TheRealAlpha2

I'm pretty sure it was working fine with your last revision. Might have something to do with the new Unity revision. They dropped two updates recently and I don't think I had any difficult with this in Panoply until this last update, but my practice sessions have been sporadic, so I can't say for sure which update was the last time before I had this issue.

opertoonist likes this.
  38. opertoonist

opertoonist

Glad you found a workaround — I'll look into adding something like this to the next update.

ManjitSBedi likes this.
  39. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

Hi,

We are using Panoply 1.65.

I have been making some changes to a 9 panel comic using panoply. I am encountering a bug. When advancing from the first panel to the 2nd panel. The 2nd panel does not show. If I then advance to panel 3, panel 3 shows.

Then if I go back to panel 2, it will show. The console is showing the following:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Retrieving array element that was out of bounds
    2. UnityEditor.SerializedProperty:GetArrayElementAtIndex (int)
    3. Opertoon.Panoply.PanelEditor:UpdateState (Opertoon.Panoply.PanelComponent,bool) (at Assets/3rd Party/Panoply/Editor/PanelEditor.cs:272)
    4. Opertoon.Panoply.PanelEditor:OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/3rd Party/Panoply/Editor/PanelEditor.cs:1366)
    5. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    Sometimes this error appears in the console which I believe is the problem:

Code (CSharp):
    1. RenderTexture.Create failed: width & height must be larger than 0
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    Also:
    - when editing the scene, I am constantly getting index array errors when trying to adjust key frames
    - when I first load a scene, this error always happens. I don't see anything wrong in the scene

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Opertoon.Panoply.PanoplyRenderer.Start () (at Assets/3rd Party/Panoply/Core/PanoplyRenderer.cs:57)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  40. opertoonist

opertoonist

Would be great to have some more info to troubleshoot — when you say the panel does not show, can you be more specific? Does the artwork not show within the panel, or does the panel itself not appear? Feel free to get in touch here and we can get into more details.

41. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

The 2nd panel would just appear as completely black. It looked like the camera for the panel had a width of 0 in the scene window in the Unity editor. The only way that could get it to work was to delete the panel prefab from the scene and add a new panel and start over.

42. opertoonist

opertoonist

If you change the layout for the panel in the editor, does the panel update as expected?

43. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

I don't know; I had to eventually delete some prefabs and start over to get it to work.

44. propapandagames

propapandagames

Very interesting asset, just have some pre-purchase questions:

I believe my project would work well with the kinds of panels and animations Panoply offers, however my project also contains more narrative prose and dialogue than the average comic.
    From what I've gleaned of Panoply, it expects me to set up speech balloons inside the editor and fill them with text then and there -- that's not ideal for my workflow as I'm much quicker writing prose in a text editor. How hard do you think it would it be to integrate Panoply with a narrative scripting language like Ink? I.e. to use Panoply to setup scenes and animations, but source the text and dialogue directly from Ink at runtime. Ideally Ink would also be in charge of the story flow, which may be non-linear in parts.

Thanks!

45. opertoonist

opertoonist

Thanks for the interest! There isn't currently a programmatic way to populate captions in Panoply, so if you wanted to use something like Ink you'd probably need to develop your own caption system that synchronized with Panoply's timeline. Non-linearity is possible depending on how granular you want to get -- the easiest way is by splitting branches into discrete scenes and then launching the correct scene depending on the choice. More complex but still doable would be to set up all of your branches on the Panoply timeline and then seek to different positions based on user choices. Of course, if your non-linearity is primarily expressed through dialogue and not through visuals, then that could be the easiest option of all.

46. propapandagames

propapandagames

Understood, thanks for the quick reply.

Writing a custom caption system and hooking it up to Ink sounds doable. Then again, the logistics of placing those captions in the appropriate panel, pointing at the appropriate speaker is rather daunting using a pure text interface... will have to ponder how and if that can be automated.
    Thinking more about this, I can certainly see why you opted for the Editor-based approach!

opertoonist likes this.
  47. HCrowley

HCrowley

Hi, I purchased Panoply a day or so back, and have spent some time creating a chapter from a series I've been working on, as a way of learning the ropes. The system itself is easy to learn, and does what it promises, but a few questions, if I may, before sitting down to write a review:

1) What's the best way of implementing branching narrative paths (as in Fungus and other visual novel systems)?

2) Similarly what's the best way to implement user interactions with the story in general? I'm thinking of the user clicking on hotspots (as in Adventure Creator) to examine objects, for example

3) What's the best way to accurately position captions, especially dialogue, when you can't see precisely where they're going to appear in relation to screen elements until you run the thing? I particularly want speech bubbles tails to match the exact position of characters' mouths

4) Is there a way to stop speech bubbles from 'sliding in' to a panel? They currently seem to move independently from the panel that they're associated with, which I find a bit distracting

5) Is there any way to test a scene starting from a particular frame? Having to run it all the way through to test a particular point in the story can get old fast. I've already found that each chapter will need to be split down into multiple linked scenes in order to keep things manageable, but it would still be nice to be able to skip to a particular point in the scene somehow when running in the editor

6) Finally, my plan is to create a series of linked chapters. They all consist of multiple (around 50 per chapter) renders (because I can't draw for nuts), where camera shifts and character poses and whatnot are already present in the rendered images themselves. The normal workflow of adding an image and then adding a panel to control how that image is displayed, means that I will need to manually add literally thousands of images, and consequently thousands of associated panels. Is there some other more elegant possibility that I'm not seeing?

There are a few other minor things I've encountered, but I'll leave those for another day

Thanks in advance for any feedback

48. HCrowley

HCrowley

P.S. Ignore no. 5 above (unless there IS a way of doing it). Splitting each chapter down into small chunks of about a dozen or so panels and then using the arrow key to whoosh through them to the place you want to test, works well enough for my purposes

49. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hi @HCrowley , thanks for the purchase — to your questions:

1) The easiest way is to split branches into separate scenes and the load the appropriate scene based on the choice. More complex approaches get into jumping non-linearly around the timeline, or changing panel content dynamically based on state.

2) Using a script to activate the Disable Navigation or Disable Panel Navigation features to turn off Panoply's built-in navigation controls, and then implementing your own interactions.

3) You should be able to precisely position captions in the editor — though if you're targeting multiple resolutions it can be helpful to use the Enforce Aspect Ratio feature to ensure that proportional positioning of captions behaves as expected on different screen sizes.

4) It depends to some degree on how you are positioning the captions on the timeline. If you're not varying the position of a caption, it should remain pretty much locked with respect to the frame of the panel.

6) Unfortunately no, that's pretty much interactive comics for you :) This is exactly how we put Upgrade Soul together. With large amounts of content it's all about optimizing the workflow any way you can. Obviously if you're working with real-time content then you're cutting out the artwork import and positioning, but you'd still have to deal with camera positioning...

50. HCrowley

HCrowley

Hi @opertoonist, thanks for the feedback

i'm still having problems getting captions to 'stick' to the screen. I wish there was a copy/paste function to be able to copy all the data from one frame and paste it into a different frame (although I realise that data from each individual field can be copy/pasted)

One of the problems I'm experiencing is when caption data at frame 0 gets out of sync with data at the display frame, and consequently Panoply animates the transition (as it should do, of course). So, the position of the caption, or the tail orientation, or whatever, changes during the frame change, and looks... weird

This is all pretty much a learning experiment though, so I'll keep plugging away and try and establish a workflow that avoids that problem. Thanks again for the feedback

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    opertoonist likes this.
unityunity