Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Panoply: Comics and Splitscreen for Unity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by opertoonist, Sep 9, 2015.

1. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hi Erik, now that we have dynamic resizing captions / word balloons, can we get a PlayMaker action to change the Caption text?

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 12.29.59 PM.png

Or alternately, could you expose the caption text so PM can set it through reflection?
    (a dedicated PM action would be preferred)

2. Mad-J

Mad-J

Hey! I've just bought Panoply. GREAT tool!!! Saves a lot of time!

But i faced a problem, trying to setup MouseWheel Scroll control.
    I've attached my script, set up to increment and decrement timeline on mouse scroll, but it happens too fast.
    Any advice on the right approach?
    Thanks

3. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello, how I can I make a 3d Scene with animations as StartScene followed by 2d panoply comic?

4. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

can make seperate scences with panoply divided by animation cutscenes?!?

5. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Can anybody help?! Please?

6. opertoonist

opertoonist

@pushingpandas Sorry I missed your messages here. I believe we chatted over email, but if not, or if you've still got questions, please let me know.

7. opertoonist

opertoonist

@Mad-J Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I don't see a script attached — let me know if you're still looking for help with this.

8. opertoonist

opertoonist

@wetcircuit So sorry it took so long to reply — I've been looking at the prior page of the thread and thinking it was the last one all this time. This is a great idea... the keyframe system is built in such a way that it may be tough to pull off in practice, however. I will take a look for the next update.

shyamarama and wetcircuit like this.
  9. dmarqs

dmarqs

Hi @opertoonist ,

I just started a new URP project, imported Panoply, added the Panoply prefab and then the Panel prefab. Panel prefab isn't showing on the Game. When I select it, I can still see the blue background screen on the Scene tab, but it isn't showing in Game tab.

I created a built-in project too and it works.

It isn't working for URP right now? =/

edit: I'm using version 2020.1.2f1

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  10. dmarqs

dmarqs

And another question: I cannot change position, rotation or scale from Panel Object (which is the camera).

Is this a bug or I'm really not allowed to change those properties?

11. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hi @dmarqs — if you open the Panoply prefab in your scene, select the Foreground Camera and change the Render Type to Overlay, you should see the panels in the Game tab. I'm currently working on an update to tackle these and a few other minor issues.

Since the Panel component takes control of the position and rotation of its camera, these values are adjusted from the Camera foldout of the component.

shyamarama likes this.
  12. Stab

Stab

Hello! Is Panoply support lwrp? I just bought it. _SampleScene scene does not work: I only hear some space sound and light background and baloons with text. There is no images. Please help me=)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  13. opertoonist

opertoonist

Can you confirm whether the above suggestion (open the Panoply prefab in the sample scene, select the Foreground Camera and change the Render Type to Overlay) solves your issue?

Stab likes this.
  14. Stab

Stab

Brilliant! Work like a charm! Thank you for so fast help. Now I can study this cool asset to make cutscenes in my game =)

opertoonist likes this.
  15. Henk1969

Henk1969

Hello,
    I'm having some problems with panoply in 2020.1

I set the render settings to Overlay, but I keep getting the same image in every panel.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  16. Stab

Stab

Very cool tool and powerful tool, thank you! But I have couple issues with LWRP support ( I guess )
    1. I change border settings but borders are not rendered.
    2. Caption Rendering method "Canvas" doesnt work.

minor: also works only with legacy render, but in this mode there is no baloon tail rendered.

17. opertoonist

opertoonist

Check the Home Position of your panels — if they are the same, you will see the same content. Since each panel is a camera, they each need to be offset from the others so their contents don't overlap.

18. opertoonist

opertoonist

I can confirm — I probably won't have chance to really dig in on this until the weekend, but I'll get back to you soon.

Stab likes this.
  19. Henk1969

Henk1969

Hi Again,
    Adjusting the home position did the trick Thnx

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    opertoonist likes this.
  20. opertoonist

opertoonist

FYI I'm going to need to rewrite the shaders to support URP/LWRP — have made some progress already, but will probably be a few weeks before the update's available.

Stab likes this.
  21. Stab

Stab

Thank you! I guess urp/lwrp is future so it will be cool to support it! I will look forward to it=)

Also offtop question. I try to add camera shake, so I handle HandleTargetStepChanged, but my shake has no effect. I thought because of Panoply passive motion or some inner camera control. What is the right way to shake camera?

22. opertoonist

opertoonist

If you don't need Panoply to move the camera at all, the easiest way is to check "Disable camera control" in the Panel inspector, then you can do whatever you want with the camera (Panoply will still handle moving its panel around the screen). If you still want Panoply to manage the camera's overall position, you could try adding the shake to the camera from a LateUpdate handler, which will execute after Panoply has made its updates to the camera.

Stab likes this.
  23. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Hey everyone! I had been popping into this thread with a buncha questions months ago for a project I was working on, and I'm happy to say that it's been released here!: https://niko-a.itch.io/petropleasure

Promo image below:
    Siri Lee_Petropleasure - PG5.jpg

Many, many thanks to all the people here, especially @opertoonist, who helped me out big time when I was fumbling and flailing around in Panoply.
    (Apologies if I'm not supposed to be posting about this here — if so, please let me know and I'll remove this post. Just thought it'd be cool to share how the questions answered in this thread have directly materialized into a released project! Proof that Panoply is for everyone, even newbs like me.)

And now, after taking a break from Unity for months, it's time to jump back in again for another project ... Heads up that more questions are incoming .... :D

opertoonist likes this.
  24. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

As predicted and sooner than even I expected, I am back at Panoply with new questions!

1. I don't know if this could be caused by upgrading to Unity Version 2020.1.12f1, but now when I try to split layers of an artwork across different panels (so that I can move foreground and background images at different keyframes), a bizarre thing happens where the background panel is somehow blocked by the foreground panel:
    Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 11.27.33 PM.png
    Here, the selected panel, C0PG1, is the intended foreground panel. I set its Clear Flags to Depth Only and Depth to 1. At this moment, the only artwork it has attached that is visible is the pictured photo of a bilingual poem. Everything else should be transparent, so I don't know what could be blocking the background panel underneath.

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 11.28.01 PM.png
    Here, the selected panel, C0PG1-4 BG, is the intended background panel. I set its Clear Flags to Solid Color and Depth to 0. C0PG1-4 BG already has an artwork attached, hence why it appears as grainy beige even though the Background is set to color red. But as you can see from the Frame foldouts in both screenshots, at the same keyframe, both the foreground and background panels are set to cover the entire visible area, so it doesn't make sense to me that only a sliver of the background is showing.

To make things weirder, this problem seems to only occur when both panels are set to cover the full visible area. They both cover their entire intended areas whenever I resize either one of them, like so:
    Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 1.37.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 1.37.55 AM.png
    This never happened when I did similar things in my previous project, so I cross-compared the two to see if I missed something but didn't catch anything. Have I perhaps missed any relevant changes with the new Panoply release? (Congratulations on that by the way @opertoonist!) Or have I just forgotten some basic Panoply literacy in my time away...?

2. If a panel has multiple artworks attached, is there a way to fade the entire panel out, or do I have to do it for each attached artwork? This can get pretty tedious when I have like 10 different artworks attached to one panel... I tried using the Matte color in the Frame foldout, but turns out that doesn't do quite what I intended. Btw, the panel in question has Clear Flags set to Depth only if that makes a difference!

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

EDIT: I think I've discovered the source of the problem for Q1. I noticed that all my panels had 2 Panel Effects (Script) added to them beneath Passive Motion in the Frame foldout. As soon as I deleted both Panel Effects components, things appeared normally. However, these Panel Effects seem to self-generate — they popped up again as soon as I playtested my project in the game window, like seen in the screenshot below. They don't auto-generate as long as I leave one unchecked, which still solves my original issue. But does anyone know why these are auto-generating??
    Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 2.57.57 PM.png

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  25. opertoonist

opertoonist

Big congrats @Nikokoko ! So glad this piece is out there in the world. No problem to post this here, for you or anyone else using Panoply in their work. Thanks for letting us know!

Nikokoko likes this.
  26. opertoonist

opertoonist

I'm not able to duplicate #1 in Unity 2020 using the built-in render pipeline, are you by chance using one of the newer render pipelines (HDRP or URP)? I'm current working on updating the shaders to support those pipelines, and I could see the old shaders causing the issues you mention.

BTW, the Panel Effects component is part of the most recent update, which moved to using shaders to draw panel borders and mattes instead of the deprecated UI system. They will indeed regenerate if you delete them, otherwise you wouldn't be able to create borders and mattes.

Regarding #2, there isn't currently a way to fade out an entire panel with multiple artworks — this is a tricky issue in general, not just with Panoply. If there isn't a way to restructure your content so that the multi-fade isn't necessary, you can probably find a shader out there in the wild or on the Asset Store that will fade out a camera (though there's a possibility that this might interfere with the Panel Effects component, depending on how it works).

27. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Thank you for your kind words, and for your reply! I think I might be using URP — I checked in my Package Manager and it lists Universal RP, if that's a sound indication? Though at the same time, when I created this project I chose my template to be 3d, not high definition RP or URP. Is there anywhere else I should look to determine what render pipeline I'm using? I tried googling but couldn't seem to find a straightforward method of checking.
    Thanks for clarifying about the Panel Effects!

And yeah, the fading out hassle has just been a recurring issue for me because it turns out I tend to favor having multiple layers of artwork in the same panel appear gradually one by one, which is fine and dandy until I need to have them all disappear at the same time. ╮( ̄▽ ̄"")╭ Thanks for the shader suggestion though — that sounds promising and I'll look into it!

28. opertoonist

opertoonist

This might help with figuring out which pipeline you're using: https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ipeline-im-using-in-an-existing-unity-project Though I think if you picked 3D as your template then you're using the built-in pipeline.

Another thought on the fading, you may have thought of this already, but if you're not trying to reveal something that's underneath the multiple layers, you could go the route of fading in yet another layer on top of all of the others — i.e. fade in a black layer on top of everything else instead of fading everything out to a black background layer.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  29. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Hey, I think you accidentally sent me a zoom link instead? :D

Re: fading — ooh!! You mean just attaching another entirely black jpg onto the panel I want to fade out, and having it fade in on top of everything else with the highest depth right when I have the next panel fade in? I actually hadn't thought of that. That makes a lot of sense, thank you for the suggestion! Now I'm mad at myself for not having thought of that sooner. It would have saved so much time! ╭(°A°`)╮

As usual, though, I've run into more issues since my last questions:

1. Every time a panel is coming onscreen or going offscreen horizontally, it becomes/stays visible when it's making the transition but is technically still/already offscreen, like this:

For context, I've set this scene's Panoply Renderer Reference Screen Size to X=2137.5 and Y=3225, since those are the dimensions of the original pages I'm making the Panoply project from. In the Game window, I set the aspect ratio to 4:3. The images visible right now in the black borders should be offscreen and invisible.
    The first problem transition (going offscreen to the left) has home position set to X=200 and depth=1; the second (coming onscreen from the right) has home position X=500 and depth=1. I don't think the home positions or depths are the problem though, as this issue happens with every horizontal transition, regardless of depth or size. I've also made sure none of my panels' home positions are the same value. Any guesses on what's going on here?

2. Could you provide any guidance on how to use animations with transparency in Panoply? I figured out how to include opaque animations with Quads, Video Players, and render textures, but now I'm trying to layer animations with transparent backgrounds on top of each other/other panels, and it looks like the Video Player refuses to accept video formats that support transparency for its Video Clip selection. I tried to switch from mp4 to a mov format (animation, with alpha) that this page says is compatible with Unity, but Unity won't recognize these mov files until I've converted them (and they lose their transparency in the conversion). I suppose I could just flatten all my transparent animations into 1 opaque animation (though I imagine this would negate the possibility of parallax between layers of animation?), but just wanted to see beforehand if there is some other workaround this issue.

3. I've run into a problem with my WebGL build — I made such a build from this project once a few days ago and it went just fine (build made successfully, compressed without problems, and played in browser once uploaded to itch.io). However, I just tried to make another build and although a folder is created and compresses as usual, once I've uploaded the zip to itch.io and try to play it in browser the following message appears:

There was a problem loading your project:
    Zip contains file that is too large (ZAO Webcomic Prologue (WebGL)/Build/ZAO Webcomic Prologue (WebGL).data.gz)
    Please try deleting the ZIP file and uploading another one.

Since then, I've tried making new builds, recompressing the folders, restarting my computer, compressing the build folder from terminal, but all to no avail. The current build folder and its resultant zip are quite large — each around 740MB — whereas my first successful build folder and zip were around 130MB. I assume d(perhaps incorrectly?) the reason behind this big jump in file size was because I've since added many more images and a few videos, but didn't think it would be an issue since itch.io allows up to 1GB in file size for uploads.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  30. opertoonist

opertoonist

Sorry about that, I've corrected the link!

1. It looks to me like the content is being correctly cropped to a 4:3 aspect ratio — it's just that your background is a portrait aspect ratio, so it's appearing to fall off the sides as it moves in and out. (I'm assuming that your panels are full-screen.) Let me know if I'm misunderstanding.

2. I'm not sure about transparent video... with sprite or texture animation it's definitely possible when using images including transparency and the correct compression settings. Does your content need to be a video?

3. I'm not sure why itch.io wouldn't be accepting your .zip, you might need to check in with them... as far as file sizes go, for WebGL projects it's especially important to make sure that your texture dimensions are multiples of four — this can have a huge impact on file sizes.

31. qudek77

qudek77

Hello there,
    I'm struggling to find how to add a keyframe to a specific Panel component (Panel frame) at a certain spot via the code (not using the editor in the inspector)

I am just using Panoply for multi-camera control so I don't use the other options, but I'm trying to automate the camera setup in a scene via the code, and I can't find a way to add a keyframe to a desired step in the timeline.

Thanks in advance for the help...

32. opertoonist

opertoonist

I'm afraid there isn't currently a way to do this — due to the complexity of the keyframe system I haven't exposed it programmatically.

qudek77 likes this.
  33. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Thanks for the link! It turns out that yes, I am just using the built-in render pipeline (listed as None (Render Pipeline Asset)).

1. You're not misunderstanding — my thinking about aspect ratio was just confused. I had tried to customize it earlier to match my Panoply Renderer Reference Screen Size and it hadn't worked, which led me to default to the 4:3. Your response motivated me to make another attempt at customizing the aspect ratio, as well as to check my panel margins, and it worked so that the screen now fits the Panoply Renderer Reference Screen Size snugly, without exposing the backstage!

2. Oh, actually it doesn't have to be a video! I just defaulted to thinking about transparent animations in terms of gifs because that's how I make animations in Photoshop or Premiere Pro. I have yet to wade into the waters of sprite or texture animations in unity, but they sound promising! For the purposes of my current project though, since I just have 1 animation, I ended up just flattening all my transparent animated layers into 1 opaque animation for the sake of speed. Though another problem has popped up with that route: right now the resultant animation (using a quad, video player, and render texture) plays correctly but appears very dimmed out/muted, like this:
    Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 9.28.10 PM.png
    When this is the opacity of the source image:
    Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 9.30.35 PM.png
    Any tips on what I should be changing to get the animation to display at full saturation/brightness in unity? The only thing I've changed in the default settings of the Quad+Video Player+render texture is increasing the smoothness of the render texture material to 1, since otherwise a sheeny rectangular background appears around the animation and differentiates it from the actual panel background.

3. I looked more into this and it turns out that although my archive was small enough overall, itch.io sets further size limits for individual files within the zip, and my data.gz file exceeded its one. Luckily, compressing all my different animations into one brought down the size of my zip from 700+MB back to ~150MB, so that it now can run in the browser again. So that's one predicament averted!

4. Is there a way to automatically change the window size of a build (be it MacOS or WebGL) from scene to scene? Perhaps this was unwise on my part, but in my project I have 2 scenes and I set the first's Panoply Renderer Reference Screen Size to X=4275, Y= 3225 (landscape) and the second's to X=2137.5, Y=3225 (portrait). I did this because I'm working with different types of images in the two scenes, but now that I'm making builds I'm coming up against the realization that perhaps I should have given more thought to how the project would transition between different window sizes across scenes.... Right now, one way I'm thinking of is to check the "Resizable window" option in the Resolution and Presentation section of Player Settings for my MacOS build and then leave instructions in the game itself to the player/reader to manually change their window size between scenes, but I imagine that will lead to a lot of messiness and unintended effects. It also isn't a fix for the WebGL build either. Do you have any experience with this sort of problem?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  34. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hi all — just posted a new Panoply tutorial that covers some of the most frequently asked questions about the asset: how to layer panels, how to make non-rectangular panels, and how to make artwork that appears to break panel borders. Hope it's helpful, let me know if there are other topics you'd like me to cover!

35. opertoonist

opertoonist

Glad you got some answers for 1 and 3!

2. Try changing the shader of the material you're using to an Unlit shader — my guess is you're using a shader that's affected by lighting, and so the artwork is only going to be a bright as the lighting in your scene (which may be little or none). This helps to optimize performance as well.

4. You may be familiar with it already given you've been playing with aspect ratios, but just in case, are you using the Enforce Aspect Ratio setting on the Panoply prefab? This won't affect the overall window size, but it will letterbox or pillarbox the content within the window so it at least matches the desired aspect ratio. I think this is probably the best solution, both from a production and user experience standpoint. (There's also a somewhat involved technical solution on the WebGL side where you'd create a JavaScript function to resize the window and then call it from Unity, but that wouldn't work for any other platforms.)

HTH...

36. qudek77

qudek77

Thanks for the answer about keyframes. :)

I have another question. It seems that I can't change the top/left/width/height values of a panel via the code (panel.top=2, panel.width=5).

Please tell me there is a way to do this. :(

Thanks for the quick and awesome support!

37. opertoonist

opertoonist

Unfortunately no, those properties (most panel properties) are wrapped up in the keyframe system as well. Would it be useful to have a version of the Panel component that just exposed the properties, even if you had to handle all of the user input and tweening between states yourself (i.e. no timeline)? I've been considering this but not sure how useful it would be without the input piece.

38. qudek77

qudek77

Well in my case for sure, I don't use the timeline at all, just the frame layout part of the asset.

If you could do that, that would be awesome. How long would it take for you to make that panel version a reality?

Should I invest time to try to write a get/set method for top/left/width/height in the Panel.cs script, or is it completely impossible to do something like that?

39. opertoonist

opertoonist

I need to do a little research before deciding... give me a few days. I'm already working on an update for URP and, if it makes sense to tackle, it could be rolled into that. It wouldn't be worth it to try and create your own get/set. I've gotten enough questions about programmatic panels, though, that it makes sense to explore something like this. Thanks for the feedback!

qudek77 likes this.
  40. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

2. So, I changed the render texture material's shader to Mobile/Unlit (Supports Lightmap), and now the animation plays at full opacity in my MacOS build, but remains invisible in my WebGL one. But even in the MacOS build, for some reason the resolution is really grainy:
    Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 1.44.57 PM.png
    The animation also remains invisible in Unity's Game View itself, and in the inspector the material still looks like this:
    Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 1.22.51 PM.png

4. Yes, I have Enforce Aspect Ratio checked for both of my scenes. I've uploaded a draft WebGL build to my itch.io. If you have the time to take a look, is this (password: wip) the letterboxing/pillarboxing effect between scenes that you meant?

5. Also, now that I have 2 semi-functioning MacOS and WebGL builds, I'm noticing another weird difference between the two. In the MacOS build, the aspect ratios/window dimensions are all working well, so that you don't see the BTS of panels coming on and offstage (the problem I recorded in that video). The problem also doesn't appear if you play the WebGL build when it's just embedded in itch.io. However, as soon as you enter fullscreen, the WebGL goes back to showing that same issue of (you can witness it for yourself in the itch.io page I linked). In the WebGL build's Resolution and Presentation section of the Player Settings, I've set the default canvas width=678 and default canvas height=1024. In the MacOS build's, I've set the Default Screen Width=1356 and Default Screen Height=2048, which is the same proportion as the WebGL's, so I don't see why the WebGL still has the problem while the MacOS doesn't. Is there some other aspect ratio/dimensions that I should be paying attention to?
    (Also, a further twist in this is that for the WebGL, the problem happens when you click the blue-white fullscreen button that Unity generates when you choose "Default" rather than "Minimal" for the WebGL Template in Player Setting's Resolution and Presentation, but not when you click the fullscreen button that itch.io generates when you check the "Fullscreen button" option in itch.io's own Frame options.)

6. Going off of 5, maybe it's just me but WebGL has been really frustrating to work with, and I can't tell if it's more because of Unity or itch.io. I've tested my webGL builds on a couple other computers and they load really slowly (or just never to 100%, depending on the browser — I haven't tested this thoroughly but it seems like right now the build only ever loads fully on Google Chrome), despite the whole zip being under 200MB. Do you have any tips for calibrating WebGL for Panoply projects?

P.S. Thank you for the new Panoply tutorial! I watched it and it was quite helpful for me too — I didn't realize you could still get something of a parallax effect even with artworks on the same panel by differentiating the z positions.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  41. opertoonist

opertoonist

2. This seems to be more of a general than a Panoply-specific issue, but I'd guess the graininess has to do with the texture being compressed at low resolution — check your import settings. I'm not sure why the animation wouldn't appear in the Game View...

5. Try using the WebGL template enclosed with this post instead of the default one (you'll need to put the enclosed folder inside of another folder called WebGLTemplates in your Assets folder, then select the template from your Project Settings). It should display the Unity build so that it fills the browser window and adapts to its current size dynamically. See if it helps at all.

6. No argument here, Unity + WebGL is frustrating. I have the same issues with the player not fully loading on non-Chrome browsers. I wish I had some advice to offer...

Glad the tutorial was helpful.

Attached Files:

42. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

2. I figured it out! I had the render texture's size set to the default 256x256. When I raised it to match one of the animation's actual dimensions, the image became clearer. So now it is both opaque and high-res in the MacOS build! At some point over the course of my wrangling with it, the animation also showed back up in Game View again. However, after that, I switched platforms to make a WebGL build to see if it would show up there too, but the animation still didn't appear at all in the WebGL build. ಠ_ಠ At this point I might ... just substitute a still image in the case of the WebGL ... *sweats*

5. Thank you for sharing this template! Unfortunately, when I used it, the project would never get past the loading stage when I opened the WebGL build up in itch.io. However, before seeing your template I hadn't even known that modifying the template html was an option at all, so after looking at what you did, I modified the Default template to better suit my purposes, getting rid of the fullscreen button and doing this to get the image to size responsively but still proportionally (btw in case it's confusing, i write comments addressing myself in the second person):
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.16.30 PM.png
    The only issue now is that these thin white borders appear on the horizontal edges of my project when it enters fullscreen (I think they look less obvious in the screenshot than in itch.io itself):
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.51.47 PM.png
    I imagine it has something to do with some sort of gap/overlap between my resized project (i.e. the canvas element) and the fullscreen pillarbox, though for the life of me I haven't been able to figure out what exactly is generating those lines. I'll keep on testing stuff here and there to see if I can get rid of them, but even with them I feel like it may still be preferable to the rigidly-sized game window I had before....

6. That's ok!! It's comforting just to hear that I'm not alone in my WebGL struggles. :D

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    opertoonist likes this.
  43. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hi all, just a heads-up that version 1.6.3 just went live, which includes URP-specific versions of the Panoply and Panel prefabs that should address the reported issues (see the docs for details on how to install — basically you use the new URPPanoply and URPPanel prefabs wherever you would previously had used the Panoply and Panel prefabs).

This version also includes a fix for the parallax not working on Android, and an experimental SimplePanel prefab which allows you to create bare-bones panels which have no associated timeline, and which can be configured directly by the inspector or by script. This is a first pass on this idea, so let me know what you think and if there's functionality you'd like to see added.

Thanks, enjoy!

44. Stab

Stab

WOW!!!! It is superior news!

I just update Panoply to latest version and play with it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  45. opertoonist

opertoonist

Just submitted an update with a minor bug fix for the URP prefabs. Bummed to discover that URP doesn't seem to support cameras with transparent backgrounds, except through the "camera stack" feature which doesn't work in the same way — under URP all stacked cameras are scaled to the dimensions of the base camera, making it much harder to do the trick in my last tutorial of using overlapping transparent cameras with different dimensions to make artwork appear to be busting out of a panel. That trick still works in the traditional render pipeline, but if anybody has any experience with transparent camera backgrounds under URP I'd love to hear it!

46. Stab

Stab

I tried to place several panels at one time on the screen, but only the one rendered (URP). upload_2020-12-8_14-10-40.png

upload_2020-12-8_14-11-31.png

I tried to set Matte color to transparent, but got white color instead of matte.

Cant get how to place two panels on the screen at the same time.

47. opertoonist

opertoonist

It looks like you're working in the sample scene, which does not use the URP assets — that may be what's causing the problem. Do you still have the same issue when working in a brand new scene?

48. karonte

karonte

Hi All. i just bought the asset. I tried the demoscene with android Mobile but i cannot see any gyro parallax effects ( gamsung S8)...is there some setting to enable? or good parameter to insert in Panoplycontroller?
    regards.

49. gm0124816

gm0124816

Same problem here, but on windows and not on the demo scene but on almost any scene I created. It all works perfectly (nice job btw !) except for the passive motion ...

Latest Panoply in Unity 2019.4.17f1 (but was the same in 2019.4.16f).

In one scene (4 panels) in some of the panels it just works fine and in others it doesn't (without modifications, so with the default settings). It sometimes gets strange as for instance when I have 3 panels visible in this scene, parallax works in all 3, but if I have 4 panels visible (the next step thus), I only have parallax on the second panel and all others are parallax-death. Again, no changes were made and no keys were added in the passive motion settings (I only modified the 'tilt'-values slightly as You suggested in your video).

In all other scenes (4 other scenes - all with 4 panels - sketches) no settings changed, z- values are different per sprite (so there should be parallax) but nothing at all.

A different question : If one creates sketches of 4-10 panels only per sketch, is it better to create one big scene with all the sketches in it or is it better to create a new scene per sketch and connect them via the 'previous scene' and 'next scene' (like I do currently).

karonte likes this.
  50. karonte

karonte

I think that gyro motion is a "must-have" on mobile. I bought the asset mainly for this feature and I think is interesting for the audience... hope to find a solution

unityunity