Search Unity

Creative [RELEASED] Panoply: Comics and Splitscreen for Unity

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by opertoonist, Sep 9, 2015.

1. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Ahh, thanks. I am using Playmaker so I will start with what I can do there…

In my webGL tests the Panoply scenes are loading quickly, so I will look for creative ways to hide the transitions.

opertoonist likes this.
  2. kosted

kosted

Hi, thanks for this wonderful asset. Before purchasing I have few questions :
    1- is it possible to add actions over a panel ? For example I have a panel and a button game object over this panel. When I click on this button I want to load a new scene for example. Is this possible ?

2- Is it possible to make scenario that changes with decision ?

3- Is it possible to make conversion ? For example I have a panel and an image in full screen with two characters. I want to make them exchange without changing panel, but just changing to simulate the conversation.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  3. kosted

kosted

I finally purchase the asset. I'm using it for my game now. Please how could I do zoom out, zoom in effect ? Like in Ascent ?
    I have a default image, and when zooming out I want to show another image to give more details to the player ? I don't want the new image with more details to come from left or right.
    Thanks

4. opertoonist

opertoonist

Thanks for the purchase! To your questions:

1. Yes, you can use the Intercept Interactions checkbox on the Panel component to disable navigation interactions with a panel so you can use your own instead.

2. Yes, this is possible, you can split different branches into separate scenes or lay out all of the branches on one timeline and use scripting or PlayMaker to jump instantly to a new location on the timeline.

3. Yes, you can use the Caption component to sequence when and where captions in a conversation appear on the timeline. Or, if you're using your own artwork captions, use the Artwork component to do the same thing.

You can zoom in or out by changing the Camera settings in the Panel component on the timeline, perhaps moving the camera or changing its focal length.

5. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hello all, just a quick note to share a big Panoply milestone—the complete Upgrade Soul, the app of the award-winning sci-fi graphic novel written and illustrated by Ezra Claytan Daniels, with an original soundtrack by Alexis Gideon, is now available for iPad and iPhone. Panoply evolved from the engine used to create the first half of this project, and was then used to complete the second half, so we’ve now come full circle. The first chapter is available for free, and the remaining eight are an IAP.

Get the app here and check it out!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    rrahim, hopeful and wetcircuit like this.
  6. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Congrats! :cool:

Downloading it now!

opertoonist likes this.
  7. opertoonist

opertoonist

I recently taught a two-week digital comics workshop at The Animation Workshop in Viborg, Denmark, with an awesome group of students who really pushed Panoply to its limits—nothing like first-hand user feedback! Looking forward to translating some of the discoveries made into new Panoply features and updates. Stay tuned...

8. mattstrangio

mattstrangio

Hi @opertoonist
    I recently purchased Panoply and am very impressed and excited getting into it! However, I've run into a little trouble with changing scenes. I may be missing something..?

I've created two pretty identical scenes ("Comic01" and "Comic02") based on the Quick Start from the manual - only changing the cube to a cylinder in the second scene. I've added both scenes to the Build Settings, and entered "Comic02" into the "Panoply > Panoply Scene > Next Scene Name" dialog box for scene Comic01, and "Comic01" into the "Panoply > Panoply Scene > Previous Scene Name" dialog box for scene Comic02. "Advance On Start" is selected in both scenes. When I run 'Play', I can see the scene changing in the #Scene window, however, in the Game window, the new scene and panels don't show up. From the #Scene window, I CAN see the camera's moving (based on the Passive Motion), so at least the scene IS loading/working. I just can't get any of the panels to show up. I've tried running from either scene - same result. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance!

9. opertoonist

opertoonist

So if I'm understanding correctly, when you change scenes, the cube changes to a cylinder in the scene view, but not in the game view?

10. mattstrangio

mattstrangio

That is correct. When it changes scenes, I can see the scene update in the scene view, but nothing shows up in the game view. I included a screenshot gif below (starting from Comic02). Also, my settings. Thanks! Screen Record_2019-11-30 08.52.52.gif comic_screenshot01.jpeg comic_screenshot02.jpeg

11. mattstrangio

mattstrangio

I don't know if this helps to troubleshoot things..? But upon looking into this a little more, I'm noticing that when I swipe back from Comic02, and it successfully loads the scene Comic01 (but no image is showing in the game view), the Global Timeline for the panels I have in Comic01 shows "28". If I drag the Global Timeline back to "1", then I can see my panels show up.

And in the alternative, if I start with Comic01 and swipe forward, I need to swipe until the Global Timeline hits "29" (or click and drag the Global Timeline) before it switches to load up Comic02.

Just things I'm noticing, in case this might help problem solve..? Thanks!

EDIT: Solution? So I think I figured it out..? If I change each scene to have no more than the minimum required Global Timeline steps needed in the Step Count (in my case, each scene only has 3), then it'll work as intended. But if I keep the default 30, I run into this issue where the Global Timeline doesn't start at 1 whenever switching between scenes. Anyhow, not sure if this helps you or anyone as a solution or workaround, but its working for me now. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  12. opertoonist

opertoonist

Ah yes, this makes sense. When you swipe backwards past the beginning of a scene, Panoply will drop you at the end of the previous scene's timeline. It just so happens that in this case, all of the panels in the previous scene were offscreen at the end of that scene's timeline, so all you saw was black. Glad you figured it out!

13. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Hello! I've run into a couple of issues while trying to make another webcomic with Panoply, and would really appreciate any help with the following questions —
    1. Is there a way to make it so that the camera pans smoothly along an artwork, instead of it jumping at intervals with each click/push of the arrow key? I have a very long artwork that I'd like to continuously pan along — ideally the player-reader could use the arrow key or mouse to just scroll down it.
    2. I'm running into this issue where I've aligned two artworks correctly in my Game View, but once I try to test the webcomic in Play Mode, the two artworks become misaligned. (see attached images) This happens even when I set passive motion to 0. What could be the reason for this change? Game View.png Game View — showerhead and water (aligned)

Play Mode.png
    Play Mode - showerhead and water (misaligned)

14. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

1. You can interrupt Panoply's control on the frame, insert a different control until the long artwork has reached the end, then re-instate Panoply's frame control.
    2. is the water a different z-depth from the showerhead? Maybe make them the same distance from Camera and set the water to display on top.

Nikokoko likes this.
  15. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Hi wetcircuit, thanks for your reply!
    1. By interruption, do you mean using Playmaker? Or some other way? I've never used Playmaker before, so if there's any sort of cheat method within Panoply itself to make it so that a step just takes longer to complete (for the effect of a slow pan), that would be awesome! Is there such a thing? :oops:
    2. No, the water and showerhead are both the same z-depth and scale factor, with maintain scale activated for both as well. Currently the water is set to display on top via sorting layers (before I had set the layer order, the water would always appear behind the showerhead, regardless of z-depth).

3. In the meantime, another problem that I suspect is related has reared its ugly head: So, both of these artworks are assigned the same base panel and make up one "scene." I was trying to get the camera for that base panel to move down with each step, so that the entire "scene" would look like it was moving up. Once again, in Game View the camera was moving appropriately across multiple steps. However, once I enter Play Mode, the showerhead suddenly seems to be detached from the camera (it just stays at its starting position even as I advance steps), the water only "moves up" for one step and then freezes, and the rest of the scene's artwork that was out of view in the starting frame never appears. o_O Any ideas for why this could be happening?

4. I also have a problem with fading captions in and out: I've found that after I changed the color of one or all of the words in my caption using rich text, it no longer fades out with the rest of the words when I change the caption color's alpha to 0. I want the entire line to fade in and out at the same time. Is there any way to overpower the interference of the rich text modifications for such transitions? I've tried changing the width and height of the caption from 0 to visible dimensions across 1 step, but that leads to an undesirable glitchy effect. Another possibility would be to change the text within the caption itself from nothing to the intended dialogue between steps, but I don't know if Panoply even allows for that?

5. Lastly, is there any way to create fading but still transitions between panels (so all panels would be in their intended visible positions right at the start of the scene, just invisible, and then consecutively fade in and out)? I'm trying to make a slow-paced webcomic with minimal movement, so the cutting/sliding transitions between panels natural to Panoply is getting difficult to grapple with. I suppose one way would be to only work in one panel and just have all the changing scenes be artworks that fade, but I imagine that would get disorganized very fast, especially since I have multiple artworks that make up one "mise-en-scene" that I'd like to move as a whole by using the panel's Camera foldout (that is, if I ever solve problem 3 above .___.). Does anyone know of any other way?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with these questions!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  16. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

1. I use Playmaker. Panoply has actions to stop/start the "swipe" action. Panoply API has some details of what is possible through code.
    2. I've noticed that sometimes the panel "squishes" as it slides off screen. It's the result of the frame ratio changing size and the visual objects inside can distort… If that is the issue in your scene, idk any fix. We can't make a full-sized panel outside the edges of the main display, so we can't keep a panel's full ratio as it slides out of view.:(
    3. maybe a problem with that art object's keyframe?
    4. I'm not happy with Panoply's speech bubbles and some of the legacy text. I think these could stand to be updated. I am using my own artwork and Unity methods to replace these… (not really an answer for you)
    5. yes, artwork/panels can fade on a keyframe instead of move. Tweaking the timing and alpha of each fade up/out can add a lot of keyframes and feel like a huge project. Panoply has an Insert Global keyframe and Insert Keyframe function (may not be the correct words). I suggest blocking the large structure [scene-to-scene, panel-to-panel] before fiddling with all the detail timing… but yeah.

Nikokoko likes this.
  17. rahuxx

rahuxx

which is the glasses free 3d TAB in video?

18. opertoonist

opertoonist

Thanks @wetcircuit for helping with @Nikokoko 's questions! I'll add a few more thoughts here.

1. If you want to slow the pace of a transition, you can adjust the Gesture Rate setting on the Panoply prefab. If you want to vary transition speed from one step to another, you'll need to use PlayMaker or a script. To disable swipe navigation entirely for a panel, you would use the Intercept Interactions option on the Panel prefab—then you would need to use a script to implement your alternate navigation. If you decide to go the PlayMaker route, let me know, as I have some new actions that will help.

2 + 3. Your alignment issues may have something to do with varying aspect ratios when you're building in the game view and playing (if you're maximizing on play). Try setting the Reference Screen Size in the Panoply prefab to your ideal size and aspect ratio, and checking the Enforce Aspect Ratio box. Also, make sure that none of your artwork is a child of any Panel prefabs—that can cause issues.

@wetcircuit The "squishing" issue should be addressed in the next update. :)

4. This is a Unity bug that will likely not be fixed as it's part of the Legacy GUI system that is being deprecated. I will be releasing an update that transitions Panoply's masks and captions to use Unity UI elements in the near future (within the next couple of months, I expect). This brings some benefits (adjustable corner radii for captions, stems and bubbles no longer fade separately) but has other limitations (edges are aliased). Using standard artwork for captions is always an option if the caption system is too limiting.

5. One approach that might make organization easier is to use multiple panels with transparent backgrounds that sit on top of each other. That way you can parent sections of artwork to different panels and do camera moves that only affect specific groups of artwork. The downside is of course the performance penalty of rendering multiple full screen cameras at once—but if all of the artwork doesn't need to be on screen at the same time you could keep panels offscreen while their contents are transparent, move them on screen just before they need to appear, and the move them off again once their contents have faded out.

Nikokoko, hopeful and wetcircuit like this.
  19. opertoonist

opertoonist

Sorry, I'm not understanding what you're asking?

20. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Thank you to both @wetcircuit and @opertoonist for your help! As it turns out, the source for problems 2+3 was indeed that I had made my artwork children of their base panel, so glad to have sorted that out!

In light of your responses to problem 4, I've also switched to mainly using artwork as text rather than the caption script, but when I do that, sometimes the artwork text appears kind of jagged/ragged, like some pixels have been torn out. I exported my text as pngs, if that makes any difference. I've fiddled with the Max Size, Resize Algorithm, Format, and Compression of these assets in Unity's inspector, but such tweakings haven't changed much. Has anyone else had this problem/knows how to rectify it?

For problem 5, I've been fiddling with the transparency settings, but it seems Panoply's defaults are set so that the preceding panel (e.g. P1) is always on top of the one after (e.g. P2), so that unless P1 moves offscreen first, P2 won't be visible. So far, I've tried to make P1 transparent while still onscreen by: setting the Alpha of the P1's Camera's Background to 0 or 255 (the color is always opaque no matter what the Alpha value is though), changing the Camera's Clear Flags options, and changing the Matte values in P1's Panel (Script) foldout. So far, none of these tweaks have achieved the effect of transparency — only adding another layer of color on top of an ever-opaque P1. Tl;dr I don't seem to know how to make panels have transparent backgrounds. Am I missing something very basic?

In the meantime, more problems have popped up, which I'll just number continuing from my original slew:

6. I'm trying to transition between a few scenes for the same webcomic, and the first scene (titled "Intro") switches into the second scene (titled "PG1") successfully. However, when I try to switch at the end of "PG1" into the third scene (titled "PG2-5"), it just stays suck at the end of "PG1." This is the case for when I'm playtasting the webcomic in Unity and also for when I've built and run it. I've made sure that all three scenes are in checked in "Scenes in Build" for the build settings; titled Next Scene Name and Previous Scene Name correctly; and made sure that none of the scenes have more steps than intended. Any ideas on what I'm overlooking?

7. I have a panel that begins with the Camera's Field of View zoomed in at 25. The Position moves up for the next few steps (panning up along a long artwork), and then the Camera zooms out to 60. This Panel is the base panel for a lot of other artworks (including text exported as PNGs into artwork), which fade in and out at different steps after the Camera's zoomed out to 60. (None of these artworks are children of the panel btw.) When I'm looking at everything in the editor view, everything looks fine. However, when I run through it in Play Mode, things get wonky. The following glitches happen seemingly at random — sometimes everything presents correctly, but at other times they go awry like so: the long artwork appears totally off-scale or off-center as I'm panning up it (Field of View at 25); the artworks set to transparent in the editor all show up as semi-transparent before they're supposed to; some artworks appear as many times larger than they should be; some artworks first appear magnified and then jump to their intended size. Sometimes when these items present erroneously in Play Mode I'll go through all the steps, go back, and then they'll present correctly again. Does this funny business have something to do with the Camera's Field of View changing? Or is it something else?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  21. opertoonist

opertoonist

4. Have you tried importing your PNGs as sprites? That usually resolves any issues with edges and/or transparency.

5. To make the background of a panel transparent, set its camera to "Depth Only". You can use the camera's "Depth" setting to determine the order in which panels are drawn.

6. I'm not sure what's going on here... could you post a video of what you're seeing?

7. It's tough to know what's going on here without seeing your project (if you want to post it somewhere I could take a look). It doesn't sound like this is what's going on, but just in case, is it possible that your panels are close enough together in 3D space that one panel is seeing the artwork for another?

Nikokoko likes this.
  22. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Thanks for your reply!

4. I think they are imported as sprites? (You mean for texture type, right?) I've attached an image of the settings I have for such imported text. Circled in red are the parts of the text that display jaggedly, while crossed out in yellow is other text that I'm not yet ready to show because it's still being revised. (´o`;
    Screenshot.png

5. Ohhhh ok! I'll try that for my next few panels. Thank you!
    EDIT: So I've tried setting some panels to depth only, but just to make sure: To achieve the effect of fading an entire panel, I still have to fade each of its artworks individually at the same step — is that right? There's no way to fade all the artworks associated with one panel in just the panel's settings or some other single place? (I'm thinking of something akin to Photoshop, where you have the ability to just fade an entire group of layers by changing the group's opacity, but can also further customize a specific grouped layer as needed.)

6-7: I've made a couple screen recordings (with voiceovers) to hopefully clarify the issues! The links are here:
    6:

7: https://youtu.be/L66pS9Zy8-M
    (For 7, I double-checked all the panels' home positions and they're separated from each other by 50 each. Also, all of the artworks that are showing up weird have been assigned to the same panel.)

8. And for another new question: Is there any way to add video clips to a panel? I know in the Panoply manual you mention there's no built-in way to create cutscenes, but I'd just like to have a gif loop as a background image as reader-players scroll through. Is this possible in any way?

Thank you again for your help, and let me know if there's any more information I should provide!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  23. opertoonist

opertoonist

4. Hmm, not sure what's going on here—you might try creating your PNG's in another way and see if you have different results. Another approach would be to try TextMeshPro (free with Unity) and render the text dynamically.

5. Yes, that's correct.

6. I didn't see any obvious issues from the video, but am wondering if perhaps "Intercept interactions" might have gotten checked on that last panel? This would prevent it from responding to mouse interaction and would keep you from going to the next scene...

7. I'm wondering if you might have "Maintain scale" checked for the artwork that appears in the problem panel? This will try to adjust the scale of the art so it always appears to be the same size in the camera, which could be what's causing issues when you adjust the field of view.

8. Yes, since panels are just Unity cameras, you can put anything in front of them using standard Unity techniques. If the animation is something simple with just a few frames, you might try creating a sprite animation, or you could use Unity's Video Player component.

Hope this helps!

Nikokoko likes this.
  24. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Hi @opertoonist, thanks for your reply! It definitely has helped. :D

4-5.: All right, thank you for the suggestion and clarification! I'll see what I can do with the PNGs.

6. I checked again, and it turns out that the issue wasn't with "intercept interaction," but just that I had set the gesture rate way too low for that scene, so that it was taking forever for the scene to advance to its final step. Raising the gesture rate fixed the issue. Sorry for the confusion!

7. Yes, "Maintain Scale" seems to have been the issue! After reading your suggestion, I went back and just cleared all my changes in the field of view and made up for the zoom-ins and -outs with custom-scaling for individual artworks instead. The weird size changes now seem to be a thing of the past (knock on wood)!

8. Awesome! I went for the Video Player, and after some wrangling, it works!

P.S.: I just downloaded and bought all the chapters of Upgrade Soul the app!! I've been so excited to get my hands on this ever since I first heard about the beta(?) version (which I never got to experience beyond the Panoply youtube demo, since it was already removed from the App Store by the time I had heard of it) what feels like ages ago. Finally, the mystique is at last unveiled! The first chapter was awesome and I'm beyond thrilled to read the next ones (still downloading!!). Congratulations on making and releasing this wonderful gem!

A somewhat related inquiry - if I understood correctly, the first half of Upgrade Soul was made using a non-Panoply engine, but could you share how one could use Panoply to get animations of blinking people/flickering shadows like you have in chapter 1, if that's possible? And do you think you'll ever release a tutorial walking through how you made some of the later panels with Panoply?

P.P.S.: @opertoonist Do you have a schedule anywhere for any digital comics workshops you'll be teaching in the coming months? I'd love to take a class with you if opportunity allows!

25. opertoonist

opertoonist

Thanks for buying Upgrade Soul and for the kind words! It's great to have the finished piece out in the world after all this time. Yes, the first half was done with a precursor to Panoply. As for the blinking and flickering, those animations were done with scripts that manipulate the artwork directly. I hadn't thought of doing tutorials based on the Panoply parts of Upgrade Soul, but that's a good idea...

I don't yet have a workshop schedule—opportunities to teach digital comics are still somewhat rare, but I keep hearing about new programs popping up, so hopefully that will be changing!

Nikokoko likes this.
  26. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Oooh, any chance those scripts for animation will become accessibly integrated like the artwork script into future versions of Panoply? I know I at least would be very eager to take advantage of such a function.
    And I would be so excited to see an Upgrade Soul Panoply tutorial!!

Aw, drats! Well, I fully expect that works like Upgrade Soul will continue to heighten the interest that will build into more and more such opportunities. Looking forward to seeing a laden workshop schedule from you in the near future! :)

opertoonist likes this.
  27. opertoonist

opertoonist

@Nikokoko It'd probably make sense to tackle those kind of animations in a tutorial as well... not sure when I'd be able to get to something like that but I'll consider it! Thanks.

Nikokoko likes this.
  28. BennyTan

BennyTan

Hi, I'm looking to purchase Panopoly but would like to check the following. I understand theres a big update round the corner to bring Panopoly in line with the latest Unity features etc. Will this be a paid update or a free update?

I'm asking cos i have previously purchased assets from the asset store whereby a new version came out within a month (there was no mention anywhere on the asset page or forum of the new version), and the author said that this was a rewrite etc, so its a new product, pay for it again, which sucked. Not saying you would do this, and your work and support seems great, but if you are releasing a paid update, i'll probably just wait and purchase the new version.

Thank you!

29. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hi @BennyTan — this will be a free update that will deprecate Panoply's use of Unity's Legacy GUI for mattes, captions, and dialogue balloons.

30. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Hello again! The webcomic that I've been working on is now close to being ready for release, but one bug remains: for one particular scene transition, the scene being transitioned into appears as black for the first 17 steps, but when an image finally appears and I backtrack, everything then proceeds normally from there. This doesn't happen when I'm play testing in Unity itself — only when I try to play through the build (target platform Mac OSX). Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I've uploaded a video to Youtube detailing the problem, for anyone who could help!

(Note: In the video, the scene in question is referred to as "PG9-13.")

Also, this isn't specifically related to Panoply, but I'd like to screenrecord a sample of my webcomic to make a sort of "trailer" for it, but quicktime screenrecording's reliance on built-in audio rather than microphones can distort the audio pretty badly. Does anyone else have experience with recording read/playthroughs with sound, and have any tips to share?

Thanks in advance!

31. opertoonist

opertoonist

I'm wondering if this might be a memory problem—is that scene particularly intensive in terms of the size of the assets? You might try changing your scene order temporarily and see if you can transition to other scenes at that point without an issue.

For Mac screen recordings that need audio routed from an application, I use Soundflower. There's also a paid application called Loopback from folks who managed Soundflower at one point that may be more full featured and friendly to use — haven't tried that one myself tho.

Nikokoko likes this.
  32. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Thanks for your reply! I'd say the scene was relatively size-intensive (it had a video later on and was pretty long). I tried transitioning to other scenes at that point like you suggested, and those transitions worked fine — it seems to be a problem specific to this scene. I also tried to break this scene up into two smaller scenes (I split it at the 0:59 point in the video I uploaded) to ameliorate the possible memory problem, but surprisingly, the glitch persists in the same place, even though the problem area is now in a scene with relatively few image assets (the total size of that scene's assets folder is now only 22.8mb). : - \

And thanks for the rec!

33. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hmm, strange. If you do nothing and just let the scene sit in black, does it ever eventually load? Is there anything special about the point in the scene where things do begin to show up?

34. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

I waited for 6 minutes and alas, it never loaded. :( Had to proceed with the arrow keys until the pivotal point and then backtrack. As for possible special qualities for the pivotal point — aside from the artwork, the only things that change then are 1) the panel the new artwork is assigned to slides onto the screen from above and 2) the previous audio softens and a new soundtrack plays over it. But that's about it. :-\

35. opertoonist

opertoonist

Would you be willing to send me your project so I can take a look? I've gotten a couple of similar reports but haven't been able to duplicate the issue. If you're willing and able to post your project somewhere, you can send me the link here.

36. Nikokoko

Nikokoko

Yes, of course! Thanks for being willing to take a look! I just submitted the contact form you linked with a followup about sharing the project.

37. opertoonist

opertoonist

In case anyone's been on the fence or is looking for something new to read, Ezra and I have made Upgrade Soul (made with Panoply) free for the next week (thru April 3) — go get it here! (FYI the app was already free, but now the IAP that gets you the complete story is as well, so be sure to unlock it once you've downloaded the app)

Also: I am **this** close to submitting the next Panoply update — just have to squash a few bugs and update the documentation. Not long now...

38. BellBlitzKing

BellBlitzKing

1. @opertoonist , Can you suggest a way to mod the asset to achieve a diagonal comic splitscreens?
    2. Second, when is the estimated released time for Panopoly 2.0? So I can plan for an animated video.

39. opertoonist

opertoonist

The two questions are related—the next version is Panoply 1.6.2, and it will migrate all panels to using shaders for their mattes. For a non-rectangular matte, my suggestion would be to explore modifying the shader to draw its alpha from a texture, so that only opaque areas are rendered by the panel. I'm hoping to submit the new version within the next couple of weeks. HTH!

40. BellBlitzKing

BellBlitzKing

@opertoonist , Excellent. I'll stay tuned & subscribe for the update, glad to hear the transition to shaders.

opertoonist likes this.
  41. opertoonist

opertoonist

I'm happy to announce that Panoply: Comics & Splitscreen for Unity v1.6.2 is out now on the asset store!

Featuring dynamic UI Canvas captions, Unity animation triggering, a customizable thumbnail navigation menu, new PlayMaker actions, performance improvements, and more, this is a significant update, and with this release, Panoply also makes its debut at itch.io as well — excited to be reaching a new audience there.

Thanks for all the support, questions, feedback, and patience! I hope you like it.

42. opertoonist

opertoonist

Let me promote your comic or game with a Panoply tutorial!

I'm going to be making new tutorial vids for Panoply and want to highlight some cool creators in the process. Got an indie comic or story-driven game in current release? Submit your work for consideration... thx!

rrahim and BellBlitzKing like this.
  43. CheckPointGames

CheckPointGames

Hello. My name is Luiz Henrique. I study digital game development. I'm from Brazil. Currently with the dollar value I am not able to acquire your asset for this value. I would love to buy it for my Undergraduate thesis. However with this value I can not. Is there a possibility that you could give me some discount?

44. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hi Luiz, thanks for reaching out — I unfortunately I don't have a viable way to offer individual student discounts right now. Typically the way I do educational discounts is in bulk; for example if four purchases are made at once, I add a fifth for free. If you have any friends who would be interested in purchasing Panoply, contact me via email and we'll see what we can work out. Sorry not to be of more help!

45. CheckPointGames

CheckPointGames

No problem. Thx for your attention. =D

46. MrJason68

MrJason68

Hello!

I had a question in regards to the number of panels allowed in a particular scene. I have about sixty panels to my book that I'm making and when I forming it using the panoply tool. I was able to ply get up to 15 panels before they stared to overlap each other. I checked the 3d space and saw the entire project going down a line but when I tried to add more panels, it tops at around x700 with a max of 15 panels.

Is there a way to add more or do I have to create a second scene and link it to the first one?

47. mark-out

mark-out

Hi Erik,

What determines the layering of the panels. It seems like every subsequent panel I add to the scene is layered in front of the previous. Even if I try to move it above in the hierarchy panel it is ordered in front of the other previous panels.

I'm trying to make a collage and there's a central panel (image) with panels fading in over time, some will appear behind the central panel but since in my process I created the panel after the central one they are layered on top of it.

Thanks,
    Mark

48. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hi Mark, you can use the Depth setting on the panel's camera to set the layering — higher numbers on top.

mark-out likes this.
  49. opertoonist

opertoonist

If you're dragging a fresh panel prefab into the scene each time, you shouldn't run into any limits, since the panel's home x position will auto-increment. If you're duplicating existing panels, you'll probably get overlap because the home positions will be the same. In any case, you should be able to manually edit the home x position of any panel to put it anywhere in the scene (it's near the top of the panel inspector).

With higher number of panels, you might want to split your story into separate scenes anyway just because of the memory requirements of that much artwork — just something to consider, depends on the nature of your project.

50. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hi Erik, now that we have dynamic resizing captions / word balloons, can we get a PlayMaker action to change the Caption text?

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 12.29.59 PM.png

Or alternately, could you expose the caption text so PM can set it through reflection?
    (a dedicated PM action would be preferred)