Search Unity

[RELEASED] Painterly

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LotteMakesStuff, Feb 10, 2014.

1. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

Painterly by Generic Evil Business Ltd.
    $painterly1.jpg
    Hiya all,
    Ive just released Painterly on the Unity Asset Store. Painterly is a Image effect/Post process that produces a lovely, hand painted effect.

There is a live Webplayer demo here...
    Our video tutorial is here...
    And a dusty canyon fly though video here

Features:
    * Simple to set up and use, literally takes seconds to get running.
    * Unique, hand painted look
    * Includes a simple color grading system that really makes the colors in your scene pop!
    * NEW Includes Depth fade mode, a depth of field style affect that applys painterly to distant objects in your scene.
    * Plays nicely with other shader effects (for example you can combine it with edge detection shaders to get a nice comic book look)
    * Includes a demo scene and full source code!
    * Works on mobile (Demo scene has been tested on an iPad 2 and a Galaxy S4 Mini)

Its on the asset store now!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. EvilFox

EvilFox

Looks pretty good.

3. sefou

sefou

Cool ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  4. Matthew-Mok

Matthew-Mok

looks cool:)

5. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

Thank you for all your kind words :D

6. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Look very cool. Do you provide a DoF version where the painterly effect gets more severe the further the objects are from the camera, and nearer objects are "in focus"? (like skyward sword)

7. Kelde

Kelde

wow,thats certainly something u dont see everyday!

8. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

Hiya, we currently don't have a mode to do that, but its something we can look at adding in later on if theres enough interest in the pack!

9. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I love the pack and would buy it if it had that... sooo, +1 for a DoF version :)

10. Alf203

Alf203

Yeah that is one cool effect. Although there is some DoF in Skyward, their painterly effect is done with some mipmap trickery.

11. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

Hiya, Ive put a bit of R&D time in to this today and ive got a prototype working.

$painterly_DOF.jpg
    $painterly_DOF2.jpg
    (right click and select open in new tab to see them in big!)
    Ive only implemented a depth of field mode on one of the shader combinations so far, so there is a small chunk of work left in generating new shader files and testing them. This should be done and submitted to the asset store this week and be available to download next week :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  12. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

looks epic! I did notice in the web player demo though that the dots would flicker in some situations

13. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

Painterly is an image effect, and it can only operate on the stuff your actually rendering to the screen. Because it takes samples around each pixel and combines them together, small features in textures and geometry will sometimes flicker in and out of the sampling radius causing the effect your seeing there. I actually quite like the effect, but you can work around it buy making sure your source art assets are chunky and do not have much fine detail. Increasing the sampling radius may also help, but thats kind of scene dependent.

Im not an artist, so i just using things from the asset store for demos, but if your building custom art assets for a post effect like Painterly, it would be a good idea to keep the models bold and chunky and the textures low resolution.

Painterly 1.5 will feature a new combine mode as well as the depth fading stuff called Intensity. Rather than taking the brightest or darkest colors, it tries to take the most common colors. This mode can be more stable on scenes with a lot of contrasting colors.

You can try a live demo of the new combine mode here. The robot here is from the Mechanim samples, i manually resized the texture down to 128x128 and redrew all the paneling lines with a dark color. That kind of texture work combined with Intensity mode give a really nice and stable effect. You can hit Space bar to switch Painterly on and off to see the difference.

14. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Just noticed this.. freakin awesome. will purchase as soon as that update is up :)

15. nuverian

nuverian

Great stuff there mate!
    I always dig NPR looks

16. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

Ive completed work on Intensity combine mode and on Depth of Field (Ive called it Depth Fading in Painterly). Ill submit the update to the asset store tomorrow, so you should see the update pop up some time next week. This update will also include the updated 'Robot Selfie' demo scene. The current demo is totally static, having a bit of movement really helps. If you cant wait that long to get the new bits, no worries! Email your Asset store invoice ID to hello@genericevil.com and ill email you an updated Unity Package right away!

$746eW.png

Now that work on DoF is done, are there any other feature requests? I have a few improvements in mind for the next version of Painterly, but id give priority to any community feature requests!

17. lazygunn

lazygunn

This is really cool and exactly what I was looking for for some things, well, somewhat, is it similar process to kuwahara-style filtering? I have a great interest in NPR looks, the gpu pro books inspired me a great deal, and saw this in the asset store a few days ago and made a mental note. I've been very interested in coherence enhancing shock filtering, which had a CUDA implementation in gpu pro 4 and also here on google code. I was considering making the attempt to port the CUDA to directcompute if it proved at all possible and the results were acceptably fast (although the cefabs application dealt with video in realtime very nicely) but with the caveat that I don't know what the hell i'm doing haha

Basically you probably have my money anyways, noone who ive suggested what I explained above has taken me up on it, but if it proved do-able and you had a go at implementing, i'd be very grateful. If this is already a take on that type of filter, and hence can get some of the really fun effects the cefabs application can get, then this is just what i've been looking for. I guess it's worth noting that the source for the gpu pro books is readily available without charge on the crc press website

Also the updates including the depth fading are great ideas, and further suit me, so thanks to whoever suggested that and then you doing it

18. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Looks amazing!

19. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I couldn't wait for the update and purchased! The effect is stellar, can't wait for the depth fading update. What kind of inspector settings does the depth fading provide?

20. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

Hiya, just to let you know ive had a short delay with pushing the update to the Asset Store. I will submit the update in an hour or so after this update! I just have to update the documentation and it will be ready to go. Again, feel free to email your asset store invoice id to hello@genericevil.com and ill send you the updated Unitypackage file right away!

Heres a screenshot of the inspector UI
    $78ZFS.png
    Like the Color Grading option, you get a On/Off checkbox. When enabled you will see two new sliders you can use to set where the fade begins and where it ends. a value o zero is the camera near clip plane and 1 is your camera far clip plane. the values in between scale linearly inbetween near and far. (So, if your cameras near plane was 1 and the far was 100, setting the start slider to 0.5 would start the plane at about 50 units away from the camer... halfway!

Unitys default far plane value of 1000 can be way too far out for a lot of scenes, so remeber to pull it in closer if you can! that will make tweaking these sliders much more easy!

Thanks! :D

Hiya, I remember briefly reading about kuwahara filtering when i first started to prototype this effect many months back. If i remember correctly, that works by taking a bunch of samples and taking the average colour. Painterly's new Intensity mode work in a similar way, but takes way less samples so the end quality isnt as good as that example CUDA code. Thanks for reminding me about that system though, ill try and make some time to have a look at it this weekend.

21. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Sent :)

EDIT: I am IN LOVE

$painterly-dof.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  22. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

Just a quick note to say v1.5 when live in the asset store yesterday! You should be able to update an use the new effects just by downloading and importing the update via the asset stores download window. If you have any issues or feedback, dont hesitate to post here or to send an email to hello@genericevil.com

Looks fantastic!

23. lazygunn

lazygunn

The kuwahara filter was one of a few I looked at after reading some image space examples from a book, i think kuwahara is 'content aware' so it processes the image intelligently, the shock filters work by detecting and processing contours in the image in terms of their tone and colour,at least in part, playing with the cefabs utility i linked shows it off very nicely, it can get a bit trippy when you run a video through it and start getting creative - all really interesting stuff, your distance blend effect is almost supernaturally relevant for my thoughts on how to use npr techniques, which is much why I fell in love with the shock filters because i thought how great mixing realism and interesting rendering techniques is, in real-time, particularly when the process is very reminiscent of traditional media.

I mentioned to you as it's within the scope of the work, it's very much a filter for producing very painting-like effects, particularly swirling strokes of oil or acrylic painting, and the range of effects is versatile, just dont wanna feel im wasting your time! Oh well i love the effect of the process thus far in Painterly so i've purchased it, looking forwards to new developments! I'm quite interested in, as i've said, integrating very realistic, physical based approaches to rendering (i'm a newcomer to the area but enthusiastic) with very stylistic approaches such as this, so feature requests beyond taking a look at the CUDA filter would be pretty much what the depth blending effect did in concept, just variations on how to mix and by how much, the different 'worlds'

24. lazygunn

lazygunn

I talk too much, either way i just for the first time saw the tutorial vid and that was absolutely dazzling, what a great effect this is, i think my notion of it was much simpler than it is, not that I want someone to implement shock filters in dx11 any less, but those were for a needed collection of a significant number of high quality npr post effects, this is added to the collection, you should make the tutorial vid the first thing you link to on your asset store listing, i totally missed it and might have overseen this entirely had I not been particularly keen to get things together in this area. It's definitely going to get more people looking than the demo vid. Just to help out though i'm going to paste the tutorial vid here too, just in case people missed it, i quite like the jolly blue peter style approach to teaching it too aha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Un83TQ6a4

Edit: Also due to 100% enforced inarguable law of partner, an asset can be rendered unfit for purpose as the partner finds typos intolerable, and apparently 'amount' is spelt with two ms in the tutorial vid. I hope this showstopping bug can be addressed without delay if it hasnt already, i gotta get painterlying up anyone who'll care to watch it. She did really like the effect though with the typo caveat even taken into account

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  25. cynel

cynel

too bad its Pro only if it wasn't i buy it in a heartbeat.

26. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

Thanks for pointing this out! I tried to make sure there were no typos in the release product, but some may have snuck though. If you see any, point them out and ill get them fixed up!

Apologies for the Pro only restriction, but unfortunately you need Unity Pro to use Image Effects :(

27. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

$7zQy3.png

Just a quick heads up, Right now Painterly is on 24 hour sale in the asset store for super cheap!

28. kilik128

kilik128

!! PrimeDerektive oh my !!
    ok i buy i will try first look on video tut's maybie missing mask
    in real i looking for hash drawing effect but it's good start !
    maybie if you get way to do it (for mobile !lol yes i know)
    so yes like PrimeDerektive say i'am in love :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  29. Gruguir

Gruguir

if someone read this, i'd like to get this to work in VR. Looks like the author don't support its asset anymore, as i had no reply from him. Painterly is a very neat and underrated asset in my opinion.
    - Some time ago it was working great but now the resolution in VR is wrong (hopefully i guess that issue would requiere just a minor script modification ?).
    - I tried to modify it myself to get the image effect to perform in single pass stereo, sadly i don't have knowledge in shaders, however i suspect that it may be something possible.
    If someone else has some informations / advices on it or is also trying to have it to work in VR, we could share and work on it together :)

30. RamSteelwood

RamSteelwood

Just wondered if anyone is still using this asset, and if it works ok in Unity 2017?
    Doesn't seem to be supported anymore, the develop website doesn't even exist, so I'm a bit reluctant to buy it if there's no chance of support and I don't know if it will even work properly.
    Does look great though!

31. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

Im in the process of developing a whole new version of this asset that works completely differently and should deliver even better results. Ive not really tests the old version in 2017 but dont see why it shouldn't work. When the new version goes live sometime in the next few month, this original version will be completely replaced by it and everyone who owned the old version will get the new one for free. Hope this helps,
    Lousie

Gruguir and hopeful like this.
  32. HenryChinaski

HenryChinaski

Any news on the new version?

33. Lomashlive

Lomashlive

any hope? apparently the script is no longer compatible with the new versions