Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Deprecated] PaintCraft (Multiplatform coloring book & drawing app constructor)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nicloay, May 17, 2016.

1. nicloay

nicloay

Do you use latest version (1.09) ?

I'm asking because I just created brand new project. then imported 1.09 from asset store. and then imported just the scene from the package which you sent to me. And Everything was working as expected. But. If I import everything from your package (and override something) i got exact error as you are.

Did you allow to override project settings when you imported the package to your project?

Could you provide more info about your environment. (Unity version, target build, did you change anything on import, did you allow to override project settings, and maybe something else).

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. syamilsynz

syamilsynz

Hi Nikolay,

I'm can't use undo/redo properly on android device.. the undo can undo only once and can't redo.

it's working good on unity editor. I build the sample scene Page Select and Coloring Book.

How to fix this? Thanks.

3. nicloay

nicloay

Hi. thanks for reporting.
    I have one question. do you use latest 1.10 version? I remember I fixed undo/redo related bug in it.

4. syamilsynz

syamilsynz

Ohh, I'm using 1.09 version. I try to update the latest version first.

5. syamilsynz

syamilsynz

The latest version 1.10 works! Sorry for not noticing this update.. Thanks.

6. nicloay

nicloay

Don't worry it's ok =).

If you are interesting in more details, problem was not in Undo/Redo. I updated input controller (the class which responsible in forwarding user events to paintcraft controller) and didn't handle properly events which already used by UI. That means that when user clicked the undo or redo buttons, paintcraft tried to undo latest action but at the same time used active tool on the canvas. so 2 events drawing+undo happens simultaneously.

7. nicloay

nicloay

This is what i was working for last weeks. More advanced 3D support. Drawing models and virtual pen for VR guys.

8. WilB

WilB

Hi @nicloay this is a huge product! Thanks so much for the work.

I have followed 1 or 2 similar questions / answers but I still can't quite get my behaviour to work properly...

I am placing the drawing canvas on the right side of the screen at about half-size, and that part works fine. (I modify the Viewport Rect for the ScreenCameraAndInput's "Camera" component.) This gets the canvas in the right place, and user input scaled properly. BUT if I draw near the middle of the canvas, I see massive pixels spread across the full screen UI. I know I'm forgetting something... can you tell me what stupid mistake I'm making?

9. nicloay

nicloay

Will thanks for feedback.

Could you please share a screenshot please.

Also make sure that you position your paintcraft canvas far away from the UI Camera like Vector3(-1000, 0,0). it's possible that you see the swatch from paintcraft canvas.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  10. WilB

WilB

Hi Nicloay,

Sorry been busy for a couple of days, but you nailed it! I just had to move the paintcraft canvas far away to one side and the unwanted giant pixels went away. I think that's the ONLY thing I didn't try. Great call - thanks.

11. kapaakea2

kapaakea2

Hi Nicloay,

Just bought Paintcraft and trying to add sounds to the color book (coloring in a duck quacks, while coloring in a cow moos).

How would I be able to determine the unique RGBA of the region in relationship to the point of the drawing start.
    I am trying to determine from InputController.cs, on beginLine what the color of the underlying region is so I can determine what specific coloring page element is being drawn on so I can play a sound. I was going to use the regionʻs color to determine that where the unique color == element elsewhere.

However I canʻt figure out how to get access to the color of the region at the point of the canvas where the drawing is taking place. i.e. determine the pixel color of the region where the brush is starting to draw. Tried to debug in Jetbrains Rider with no luck.

I'd appreciate your help.

Mahalo,

Kalani

12. kapaakea2

kapaakea2

I managed to figure it out. In BeginLine I was able to grab/convert the screen position. I had to make the region texture readable then I can grab the pixel and compare it to a known value (I made three regions: pure red, green, and blue) and played the sound. Canvas.RegionTexture had the regiontexture I needed.

Code (CSharp):
    2.             Vector3 screenPoint = Canvas.CanvasCameraController.Camera.WorldToScreenPoint(inputPosition);
    3.             screenPoint.y = screenPoint.y * -1; //invert;
    4.             Color pixel = this.Canvas.RegionTexture.GetPixel(Mathf.FloorToInt(screenPoint.x), Mathf.FloorToInt(screenPoint.y));
    6.             string labelString =
    7.                 "Input position: " + inputPosition.x + ", " + inputPosition.y + "\n" +
    8.                 "Screen point: " + screenPoint.x + ", " + screenPoint.y + "\n" +
    9.                 "r: " + pixel.r + ", g: " + pixel.g + " b: " + pixel.b;
    10.             if (pixel.r == 1f){
    11.                 this.Canvas.frog.Stop();
    12.                 this.Canvas.frog.PlayOneShot(this.Canvas.frog.clip);
    14.             } else if (pixel.g == 1f)
    15.             {
    16.                 this.Canvas.parrot.Stop();
    17.                 this.Canvas.parrot.PlayOneShot(this.Canvas.parrot.clip);
    18.             } else if (pixel.b == 1f)
    19.             {
    20.                 this.Canvas.turkey.Stop();
    21.                 this.Canvas.turkey.PlayOneShot(this.Canvas.turkey.clip);
    22.             }

nicloay likes this.
  13. nicloay

nicloay

Sorry kapaakea2 that I didn't reply you earlier, your code is correct. i do exactly the same at my another project.
    You can also use GetPixel32 instead of GetPixel which return float - so your precision will be more precise, you can define something like Color32(123,123,123,123) == "cow" Color32(55,55,55,55) ="another_animal".

14. kapaakea2

kapaakea2

Thanks! I tried using getPixels32(). I would have preferred the integers over float but found the method to return pixels only returns all pixels over just a single pixel color. I found out I needed to a) turn compression for the regions off (as compression affected colors) and b) compare approximately..i.e:
    bool ar = Mathf.Approximately(configColor.color.r, pixel.r);
    bool ag = Mathf.Approximately(configColor.color.g, pixel.g);
    bool ab = Mathf.Approximately(configColor.color.b, pixel.b);
    if(ar && ag && ab) { ... }

nicloay likes this.
  15. wg-purchase

wg-purchase

Spline Interpolation issue

Hi I found there is a issue in the spline interpolation code. I found the code does not produce smooth curves when then frame rate is low. And after some investigation, it seems like:

in file SplineInterpolator.cs, FilterFinalizer(), around line# 95:
    if (point.Value.IsBasePoint ||
    (!point.Value.IsBasePoint && point.Value.Status == PointStatus.CopiedToCanvas
    && (previousPoint != null && previousPoint.Value.Position != point.Value.Position))) {

The second part of if statement seems problematic. After adding non base point into the brushLineContext, the next iteration spline will get an interpolated P1, which is very close to P2, which results sharp turns on the final curve.

I just started working on the code yesterday and not familiar with the code base. By commenting out the second part of if I found the curve is showing twice, one smooth and one zig-zag....

I'll keep hacking around the code and see if I can find some dirty fixes, but let me know if you can give me some pointers.

Thanks
    Fan

16. nicloay

nicloay

Fan
    Thanks for reply.
    If it's a big problem it's possible to add filter which will ignore base point (point which come from device input) and if distance to previous point less than e.g. 2-3 pixels, just ignore it. I think right now i ignore just points with exact same positions.

Also, could you share screenshot of result line and highlight the problem place.
    Thanks.

17. wg-purchase

wg-purchase

OK, let me try to explain it better:
    These are plotted with the same data, but different interpolations, from left to right:
    Linear - Spline in Paint Craft - Spline with the fix
    Untitled.jpg
    You can see that the middle one is some how smoother than the linear version, but the curve is not as round and smooth as the fixed version. It is obvious when the input rate is lower (30FPS)

What I found from the code is that, during interpolation, the code is considering 4 points (P1, P2, P3, P4) to construct the spline. For some reason (the code I mentioned above), when the 4 points path is executed, the P1 is not a "Base Point", P1 is from an interpolation from last iteration. Which I believe is the reason that causing the issue above.

The "Fix" I did is in the filter remember the last P2 point, and use it as P1 in the next iteration... I believer there should be a better way to do it...Just keeping the P1 but changing the IF statement does make the line smooth, but also it may mess up the status of the point, so I'm seeing the temporary lines are not been cleared on canvas...

explain.jpg

nicloay likes this.
  18. nicloay

nicloay

Thanks for report.
    I've checked the code. you right, in one of the previous update i lost this behavior. Include this fix in next update.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  19. wg-purchase

wg-purchase

Thanks, do you have an estimation of when the next update will come out? Also we're only using some basic features, can we use the older version that does not have the regression as a workaround for now?

Thanks
    Fan

20. nicloay

nicloay

I think i'll release new version this week. But I can send you the patch as soon as it ready. right now i'm investigating this issue.

And it's strongly advisable to move to the new version as it has significant optimization in mesh pool and one place in Point.reset color which made to much junk for garbage collector.

21. wg-purchase

wg-purchase

awesome! I'll look for the new version then, thanks so much!

22. wg-purchase

wg-purchase

Another place may be problematic:
    In SplineInterpolater.cs, inside those HandleXXPoints functions:

////////
    maxD = Mathf.Sqrt(diff.x * diff.x + diff.y * diff.y) * 3.0f;
    step = 1.0f / maxD;
    for (float i = step; i < 1.0f; i+=step) {
    ///////

My guess is that you want to add interpolation points roughly 3 pixels apart, but here you are adding points 1/3 pixel apart (say the distance is 100 px, and maxD = 100 * 3 = 300, step = 1/300, we're adding 300 points in between).

The results is the spline interpolation are adding thousands of points, but within the spline filter the linear filter is applied as the last step, which filters out those close points... but there is a huge waste of computation here.

I believe it should be "/ 3.0f;" at the end of "maxD = ..." line, also since the spline filter also takes spacing as an input property, you might want to use "maxD = ..... / Spacing.Value;" .

23. nicloay

nicloay

Fan
    I tried many parameters, and /3.0f as well. but it leads to gaps in several cases. especially when spline curve is to much convex. So this is why it used 3x factor. But i don't think that you need to worry, as it still works fast and does not generate junk for garbage collector.

update1:
    I rewrote linear interpolator. Extracted base points(points which come from input to separated list). And right now fixing remaining bugs after extraction. but main problem i think solved.
    Here is a screenshot. you can se spline interpolator with spacing.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 14.17.59.png

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  24. nicloay

nicloay

Fan
    Just want to let you know that i fixed this issue. but because of huge refactoring on base points, i need a little bit more time to update existing filters and check that everything works as before.
    And thanks for letting me know about this issue. Main problem is that I made a mistake that i can use interpolated points as source base points for spline interpolations. so now i use only base points which come from input in spline interpolation.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 14.26.04.png
    here is a result
    Blue is an old line and red is a new line which make more smooth path.

25. wg-purchase

wg-purchase

Hi, have you updated the new version?
    Also I got another question: what's the right way to do a "cancel" operation, meaning the user already started drawing the stroke, but before the stroke ends, we want to cancel this stroke. We're need this for more advanced UI gestures (pinch zoom, rotate etc..)

currently I'm hacking the "InputControllers.cs", and adding a function like this:
    protected IEnumerator RevertCurrentEdit()
    {
    yield return null;
    finalSnapshotInProgress = true;
    snapCommand.AfterCommand();
    snapCommand.Undo();
    finalSnapshotInProgress = false;
    }

do you think this is the right way?

26. wg-purchase

wg-purchase

BTW, if I did this, then occasionally I'm getting an error from here:
    SnapshotPool.cs:
    Line: 128: Debug.LogError("wrong snapshot data here");

27. nicloay

nicloay

wg-purchase

I submitted update and hope it will be live soon. here is version changes

• Features
      • Separate base points (which come from input) with normal points (used by renderer)
      • Rebuild all tools and filters to support new base points
      • Update Spline interpolation to make proper cubic splines.
      • new "Open local cache folder" menu where all user changes stored
      • New documentation links at the menu
      • New parameter offset for the point (make sure that you don't change interpolated point position and use point offset instead)
      • Use CloneLastBasePointToPoints instead of (CloneBasePoint) if you want to render point at the same position as base point in case if you do NOT use interpolation
    • BugFixes
      • fix shader (region comparison)
      • fix linear interpolator for very close positions
      • fix unlimited velocity bug (after many hours velocity leads to thin line)
    • QuickStart documentation updated

About input.
    Yes you right you need to hack Input controller.
    But, I don't know why do you want to use coroutine and cancel line (which is possible only by using "undo" and it is not good I think, because it's possible that you will be able to undo some needed changes and also you need to remove redo layer after that. so don't think that's is real clear solution).

What I do in another project is the same - use custom input controller but I don't start line until first position is changed and input has just one touch. and if in input i see that there is 2 touches i just consider it as gesture.

update (15-nov): Just received confirmation from asset store admin that both packages (base+pro) is accepted and live. Good luck with new updates listed above.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  28. vanshika1012

vanshika1012

Hello @nicloay ,

I have purchased this asset, it works wonderfully but I am confused about region and outline image. I have followed same instructions but I can see some space.I dont understand the problem here.
    I think you can help me here. Please see the attached screenshot.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.06.58 PM.png

29. nicloay

nicloay

Thanks for purchase.
    The problem here is that your regions does not overlap line path semitransparent pixels. What you have to do is increase tolerance in photoshop (or similar software) of floodfill algorithm and repaint your regions. Let me know if you need more assistance.

Thanks.

vanshika1012 likes this.
  30. vanshika1012

vanshika1012

I have done it. still getting white spaces. This project became very crucial for me. :(

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 12.38.47 PM.png Unicorn00_outline.PNG region_Unicorn_0.jpg

31. nicloay

nicloay

Could you check your texture import settings. make sure that you don't use power of 2 and any compression algorithm and filter mode = point.

And also that you have max texture size = 4098 as your texture is larger than 2048x2048.

I also tried to combine your 2 texture in photoshop and you can see that your regions does not overlap semitransparent pixels on the line properly.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 08.27.18.png

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  32. vanshika1012

vanshika1012

Infact, corrected that. I guess there could be my setting problem. Can you check that. I have attached the images.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 2.58.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 2.58.10 PM.png

33. nicloay

nicloay

At the region file please change
    Non power of 2 = none
    (optional) generate mipmaps = false.

Also - why do you have different texture size for outline layer and region layer, normally it has to be the same.

34. vanshika1012

vanshika1012

I dont understand, you mean I can use same file for outline and region.

35. nicloay

nicloay

no, you can not. But usually region and outline file has the same size (dimension, WIDTH x HEIGHT).

36. nicloay

nicloay

Just received support request about how to make glow effect on the image. And it took just 5 minutes to make it works.
    1. Take this free package https://assetstore.unity.com/…/fullscreen-cam…/mk-glow-90204
    2. add MK Glow free controller to ScreenCameraAndInput game object and adjusted parameters.

That's it. But as you understand this is just camera effect. that's mean if you save image it save as normal painting. So if you want to save the glow effect also it required some coding and changing save behavior.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 11.41.52.png

37. nicloay

nicloay

Just added new receipt to the Cookbook.

"Record/Play line input points". It's very useful if you debug your tool and you need to draw the line use the same points. Or you can also see how easy you can make multiplayer drawing and serialize/deserialize data

https://docs.paintcraft.in/…/recordplay-line-input-position…

Code (csharp):
    2. ....
    3. string[] parts = line.Split('|');
    4. line = file.ReadLine();
    5. for (int j = 1; j < parts.Length; j++)
    6. {
    7.    ScreenData sd = new ScreenData(parts[j]);
    9.    if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(line)) //end line
    10.    {              
    11.       screenCamCtrl.EndLine(sd.FingerId, screenCamCtrl.GetWorldPosition(sd.Position));
    12.    }
    13.    else if (i == 0) //start line
    14.    {              
    15.       screenCamCtrl.BeginLine(screenCamCtrl.LineConfig, sd.FingerId
    16.          , screenCamCtrl.GetWorldPosition(sd.Position));
    17.    }
    18.    else //continue lien
    19.    {              
    20.       screenCamCtrl.ContinueLine(sd.FingerId, screenCamCtrl.GetWorldPosition(sd.Position));
    21.    }
    22. }      
    23. ....

38. NanaliDev

NanaliDev

Hi,

I've purchased Paint Craft(not Pro version) and looks like it's cool painting asset.
    I'm doing several tests to figure out how this works, and here are several quick questions:

#1.
    If I click the canvas without dragging around, then one brush effect shows and soon disappears.
    It looks like buggy but is this intended?

#2.
    When using the Crayon brush which is included in the package, painting with maximum brush size may overpass its painting region.
    I've changed the radius at MoveToRandomOffset to very lower value(1~2) and found the side effect is gone.
    But I guess sometimes the large offset might be needed.
    Is it possible to workaround this?

#3.
    I think the NodeInspector is very cool stuff, and I'm trying to create custom brush effect with that.
    Is there a document describing what each node exactly does?

#4.
    I'm considering to upgrade to Pro version.
    Are there any differences between Pro and Lite other than SVG and VR support?
    I've seen you mentioned 'the auto-painting all regions with unique color' in this thread, but could you give me more specific?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  39. nicloay

nicloay

Developer_Minki
    Thank you very much for choosing this package.
    1. Yes. first point is temporary and render only once (I'll try to fix this issue, It's not a quick solution and required bunch of coding). I can't make first point permanent because in several filters direction required and first point direction calculated only when you move finger out of it.
    2. Could you provide screenshot please. I can't reproduce this issue. Maybe it's overpass to the neighbour region which has the same region color? I don't think that random offset relates somehow as region calculation happens in shader. This process is like just place sprite on top of your image.
    3. Sorry, but right now ther is no any documentation. but source code is open just open Paintcraft->Engine->Scripts->Tools->Filters folder and you will find all filters there. In most cases it's just a simple iteration of all point and modifying some parameters like scale, color, etc. You can find some info here as well https://docs.paintcraft.in/tool-pipeline.html. And fill free to ask any question here. I'll response asap.
    4. Autopaint will be available in next version. It's implemented for SVG images, but there is no inspector which will paint selected region.

Thanks.
    //Nikolay.

40. NanaliDev

NanaliDev

Thanks for your quick response.

Here, I attached the screen shot.
    2017-11-24.4.35.23.jpg

Note that the brush is crayon and the size is maximum and take a look at two areas I circled with red line.
    The page is the default bull and I didn't edit any region file at all.
    By default, the radius is 15 at MoveToRandomOffset node and 'Multiply To Brush Size' is checked.

And as I mentioned, a test with radius value under 7 was good.
    I guess that depends on the outline thickness.
    2017-11-24.4.35.23.jpg
    Hope this would be helpful to figure out.

41. nicloay

nicloay

Developer_Minki

Thanks a lot for screenshot, yes after latest release where I fixed spline interpolation I introduced new point propety "point offset" and forget to use it in UV calculation.

I'll fix this in next release. right now you can do it by yourself.
    open MeshPool.cs class and on line 143 change
    Code (csharp):
    1. MeshUtil.UpdateMeshUV2(result, width, height, point.Position, point.Rotation,
    to
    Code (csharp):
    1. MeshUtil.UpdateMeshUV2(result, width, height, point.Position + point.Offset, point.Rotation,
    Thanks again for bug report

42. NanaliDev

NanaliDev

OK, thank you.
    BTW, when is the next version scheduled for release?

I'm curious about next Pro version also.

43. nicloay

nicloay

I don't have exact date, but hope to release it within month. And usually i submit both version together (base and pro) so they available at the same date.

44. nicloay

nicloay

Unity MegaSale!!! save on base and pro package!
    combined.png

45. vanshika1012

vanshika1012

Hi @nicloay ,

I want the application to have zoom effect like in normal game. I tried to add zoom pinch, but it always leave mark.

Another problem is size of canvas, My application is in portrait and on different devices it showing different resolution, so it very very mandatory for me to have zoom in and zoom out function on that.

Thanks,

Vanshika

46. nicloay

nicloay

@vanshika1012
    Unfortunatly pinch to zoom works only works if you choose specific tools. It works like this because it's not possible to determine do you want to draw several lines, or need to zoom canvas.

About portrait mode. I'll try to fix this in next release. Right now default camera size dpends on the page config height.

47. NanaliDev

NanaliDev

Hi,

Still using the asset well :)

I just saw the question from @vanshika1012 above. And actually, I have the same demand for that.

I know it doesn't fit with your asset, but would you consider adding a pinch to zoom as an optional function of Pro version at the next update?

I'm sorry if I was rude, and thank you in advance.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  48. nicloay

nicloay

@Developer_Minki Thanks for request. I'll check what I can do for this. and how to integrate it in paintcraft properly. As right now what I did is just hardcoded some stuff in to CameraInputController.

49. pandemik

pandemik

Hello Nicloay i'm trying to integrate this colorpicker asset into paintcraft

https://github.com/zloedi/cui_color_picker

I'm completely clueless how to link it to the line config..

Any suggestions?

Thank you in Advance I love the flexibility of this asset!

50. nicloay

nicloay

Hello @pandemik
    Thanks for choosing Paintcraft package.

Here is a quick tutorial which I've made for you https://docs.paintcraft.in/qookbook/colorpicker.html
    Unfortunately CUI ColorPicker just have action assignment, And it's possible that on scene changes this color picker won't be unloaded from memory properly, so at the end of tutorial I've added proper way how to work with Actions.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have further questions. And if you will have a time I'll be really grateful if you will rate a package on asset store page it's really important for me.

Thanks in advance.
    //Nikolay.