Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[released] Overcloud - Volumetric Sky And Lighting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Fewes, Mar 25, 2019.

1. iichiversii

iichiversii

@Fewes , I cant help noticing for the trailer for Overcloud at 1:19 into the video there is a VR scene flying the aircraft, is this in the VR demo available? from what I remember around release there was a VR demo and it did not have this which disappointed me as I was working on a flight simulation.

2. Fewes

Fewes

Unfortunately not, that was from an early version of the game I am currently developing (it was running a simple unmodified OverCloud setup however). Is there something in particular seen in the video that you are trying to replicate?

3. iichiversii

iichiversii

I would like to demo the P-51 that is in the non-VR demo in the VR demo to check framerates, I haven't purchased Overcloud however I am considering it, if the VR demo had the flight mechanic like in the normal demo then I can see how this asset works in VR in a flight sim, it would then help me to decide if this asset is what I need.

4. Fewes

Fewes

The VR demo should be an accurate representation of the performance in a scene with just OverCloud plus the terrain. The only rendering difference in the non-VR demo is the plane model itself, plus the rendering of a reflection probe. If you're still unsure however, you can give it a go and contact me for a refund if you feel it is not working out.

5. dwatt-hollowworldgames

dwatt-hollowworldgames

the demo works in vr if you add the tracked pose driver to the camera. I got 80 fps with a 2060 using a rift-s.

Fewes likes this.
  6. miwwes_unity

miwwes_unity

Hey I have a few questions.

1) Does this project supports different cloud shapes such as cirrus, cumulonimbus, etc.? I'm looking to use this for a project and I love the dynamics of this. I just need to know if it supports those type of clouds for a weather system ordeal!

2) Is the volumetric fog height change available to have both clouds and fog rendering at different heights? Say ocean fog and OverCloud sky clouds?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  7. Fewes

Fewes

Hi there!
    1. Sort of. You can change the height of the volumetric cloud plane and the layout of the clouds, but you can't specify a specific height falloff to them, they will always use the same fluffy look. You can also have multiple 2D cloud layers independently of the volumetric clouds, which is the recommended way to do cirrus and altocumulus clouds.
    2. Yep! The fog is completely independent of the clouds and they can be at different altitudes. They can even be mixed at the same altitude to get a very stormy or foggy look.

Also on a general note I've noticed that OverCloud will fail to compile on versions of Unity using the new XR subsystem (which specifically has rendered XRDevice.isPresent obsolete). I've got a fix in the works which I am hoping to have out in an update soon. I'm considering marking the "Custom Floats" feature as obsolete to be removed at a later stage as well, as this system is a lot more trouble than it is worth and is blocking moving the weather presets to ScriptableObjects. If you love this feature and would hate to see it go, please send me a PM.
    Cheers!

jashan likes this.
  8. mukki014

mukki014

What about the performance on an Android device? Device specs :
    4/8gb ram
    Quad core/octa Core processor 2.2ghz
    Open gl es 3.2/ Vulkan api
    Thank you.

9. Migueljb

Migueljb

@Fewes Says here in one of the updates - Exposed the global wind time as a public variable (OverCloud.weather.WindTime). This can be used to randomize or sync the environment.

But where is this exactly so I can create static seed values of the clouds so there not moving around. Can't seem to get this to where I can slide the clouds around to where they stay put on the look I am after. Soon as I hit play they go back to there original position. Can you please tell me exactly how to use this part to create static clouds that stay in the exact position I put them in when I hit play?

10. Fewes

Fewes

Your best bet would be to set this value every frame. It resets to 0 in OverCloud.OnEnable (around line 2194 if you would like to disable this). It is also updated in OverCloud.UpdateWeather but as long as the windMultiplier of the currently active preset is set to 0 it won't change. You can also manually override the shader parameter by calling:
    Shader.SetGlobalFloat("_OC_GlobalWindTime", myWindTime);
    from OnPreRender on any script on the camera, but make sure you set the script execution order so this executes after OverCloudCamera.

11. Migueljb

Migueljb

This is not working. Can this be an exposed variable within the prefab somehow instead? To where I can move them thru the slider and where I leave them at they stay put and not move until I move the slider around again.

I commented out like 2194 didnt work. I commented out line 2197 didnt work. I'm using the Broken preset and set my Wind Multiplier to any number didnt work. I can move the clouds around soon as I hit play they go back to default. So where the heck does this value keep resetting and better artist instructions please. This can't be this difficult to get these beautiful clouds to stay where I want them to stay statically.

12. iddqd

iddqd

Hi @Fewes

How can I disable Overcloud in the Scene View?

Thanks

13. Diego_Graphics

Diego_Graphics

The demo is really impressive, in principle exactly what I need.

However, I would like to know if overcloud is compatible with CREST water and if there is any possibility of enviro integration, the clouds from overcloud are very good but when it comes to weather and sky ( seasons, moon phases, weather, aurora ) there is a lack of possibilities.

14. ryanvalentin

ryanvalentin

I'm using this with Crest, the Overcloud website has compatibility info for Crest and other assets: http://overcloud.me/compatibility.html

The Crest
    Ocean.shader
    file has changed so some of the line number references are off - here's my version (which itself is a little behind, might have changed still): https://github.com/crest-ocean/cres...:master#diff-2e485734fea6e4f351c09fca66633d58

Mark_01, Fewes and Diego_Graphics like this.
  15. Philkrom

Philkrom

Hello, is there anywhere a quick and simple tutorial to help me making easily an animated sky like this one with Over Clouds ?

Best regards

16. Fewes

Fewes

Open OverCloudCamera.cs and at the top, comment out the lines [ExecuteInEditMode] and [ImageEffectAllowedInSceneView]. This should stop OverCloud from rendering in the scene view.

This looks pretty close to the default setup. Are you having trouble with it not looking like what you're after?

When you say "I can move the clouds around soon as I hit play they go back to default", how are you moving them? Just having a script setting the shader variable like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader.SetGlobalFloat("_OC_GlobalWindTime", myWindTime);
    should be all that you need. Did you try that?

17. tchapman_bsis

tchapman_bsis

I'm trying to get overcloud to work using the new XR Plugin Manager with Oculus on single pass instanced. Multi pass is fine, but single pass definitely has some shader issues on the right eye. Shared depth buffer didn't fix much (it did help with another issue I was having though). It seems most of the overcloud shaders result in the picture below. I'm debugging it by disabling pretty much everything in the scene and changing the skybox to overcloudskybox, and it still gets the same result which is why I assume the overcloud shader is to blame (other skyboxes with different shaders don't have this issue) My next step is to take a look at some of the steps in this link, but figured I'd ask here first considering I'm not a shader expert by any means: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SinglePassStereoRendering.html upload_2020-9-2_14-39-36.png

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  18. Fewes

Fewes

OverCloud does not support the single pass instanced rendering method for VR. I understand it might not be ideal for your use case, but are you able to use single pass?

19. tchapman_bsis

tchapman_bsis

Thanks for the quick reply. We were hoping to stick with the new XR plugin, which only allows for multipass or single pass instanced. I can play around with downgrading to the old system, but was hoping to avoid that.

20. AlteredPlanet

AlteredPlanet

hi can you get the shadows to work for overcloud and alloy deferred shader?

Attached Files:

21. Fewes

Fewes

For sure, let me know if this works!

Attached Files:

22. AlteredPlanet

AlteredPlanet

it worked thank you

Fewes likes this.
  23. mentalgear

mentalgear

Overcloud looks great, yet is it compatible with World Streamer ?

24. Fewes

Fewes

I can't say for sure, but from a quick look I don't see why it wouldn't. If World Streamer moves the scene to support a big world (floating origin), OverCloud also supports this.

mentalgear likes this.
  25. ShiftedClock

ShiftedClock

Error after importing when using Unity 2020.2.0b2:

> Assets\OverCloud\Scripts\OverCloud.cs(2791,146): error CS0619: 'XRDevice.isPresent' is obsolete: 'This is obsolete, and should no longer be used. Instead, find the active XRDisplaySubsystem and check that the running property is true (for details, see XRDevice.isPresent documentation).'

Fewes likes this.
  26. Fewes

Fewes

I'm aware of this and I have a fix in the works but I need to do some regression testing before I submit it. It should go live early next week.

ShiftedClock likes this.
  27. iddqd

iddqd

Hi @Fewes

Is there a way to make straight fog lights, basically I need a 1000 meter beam that is not cone shaped like the Spot lights.

Thanks!

28. SavedToTheUttermost

SavedToTheUttermost

Hey @Fewes,
    Since installing Overcloud I noticed entering play mode was taking a lot longer then usual. I profiled it and discovered that OverCloud.OnEnable() makes entering play mode take over a minute longer!
    upload_2020-9-11_10-46-44.png

Is there some way that I can speed this up, or should I just disable Overcloud until its time to build to a player? The only change I made to OverCloud.cs was commenting out [ExecuteInEditMode].

29. Fewes

Fewes

That's certainly not supposed to happen! Could you try running it again with "Deep Profile" enabled and post the full call stack causing the spike? This will allow me to pinpoint the issue. Thanks!

30. SavedToTheUttermost

SavedToTheUttermost

The problem appears to be in CloudNoiseGen.LoadNoise:
    upload_2020-9-11_13-11-16.png

31. SavedToTheUttermost

SavedToTheUttermost

I did some more testing, and the problem seems to be caused by the m_3DNoise field being regenerated even though it isn't null the first time OverCloud is run in play mode, and then in all subsequent runs it was null and so had to be regenerated. I uncommented [ExecuteInEditMode], and that seems to make everything run smoothly again.

32. dhenuber

dhenuber

@Fewes ,

I am running into problems with calling SetWeatherPreset at runtime in VR. Here's the notable points:
    • When the build starts up, everything is fine. But when SetWeatherPreset gets called, the left eye of the VR device starts looking at what appears to be a texture map from memory (a full-color but flat mix of nearby building textures and sky/rain from Overcloud).
    • The right eye continues to work fine.
    • Oddly, this problem does not occur in the editor playmode, but only on builds.
    • I'm using the OVRCameraRig, with the OverCloudCamera attached to the CenterEyeAnchor camera.
    If that description of what the left eye starts doing isn't clear, let me know and I'll try to grab a screenshot.

(Oh also, thank you for all the great work on this fantastic asset!)

33. gustavo_samour

gustavo_samour

If I wanted to have mesh-shaped clouds in addition to the noise-based clouds, how could I do that? Would it make sense to voxelize the mesh and write it to the 3D noise texture?

34. Fewes

Fewes

Not out of the box, no. However, it would not be too difficult to implement this. I'll look into including this in the next update since it'd be a pretty good addition for searchlights and such.

Do you mean you had [ExecuteInEditMode] commented out initially? That might be the cause but it sounds very odd, the noise is supposed to be quick to load once it has generated itself which only needs to be done once.

So when the build starts, everything looks good, clouds and all? Are you rendering using multi pass or single pass for VR?

This is not possible. At best, you could render a custom shape to the 2D compositor texture which will affect the coverage, but you won't get a full 3D effect because of how the clouds are constructed (2D coverage with a height attenuation function). The 3D noise texture is just for detailing the clouds and is used at a very high tile rate, so if you were to go that route your 3D mesh would appear absolutely everywhere.

35. iddqd

iddqd

That would be great, thanks!

36. dhenuber

dhenuber

That's correct, in fact my temporary fix is to just disable the random weather changing and everything looks great in the meantime.

I am using multi-pass, since I'm using the new XR plugin and it only offers single-pass instanced otherwise.

37. Duende

Duende

Hello, do you know if your asset is compatible with Tenkoku? I would like to use your clouds with the Tenkoku sky.

Edit: another question, support for HDRP or URP, do you plan to do it in the future or is it totally ruled out?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  38. Feartheway

Feartheway

Hi I am trying to use this asset. I put the prefab in the scene but I am not seeing any clouds? what is going on? I added an overcloudcamera script to my camera but it wiped out my existing scene. I am using a 360 video skybox how do i add your clouds as well?

39. mentalgear

mentalgear

Thanks for your assessment! I will try it out and report back to you. However, just in case it doesn't work (and since overcloud seems great but rather expensive) would it be possible to get a refund if it doesn't work? Thx

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  40. fatality674

fatality674

@Fewes Are the star positions correct based on your lat/lon and datetime? Such a strange little detail but I'm making a sim which also involves using the stars for navigation.

Asset looks great!

41. YolanOTHER

YolanOTHER

I'm running into flashing issues with what look like shadows when using overcloud. Any idea what might be causing these? I've tried switching between forward and deferred rendering. I've also switched between baked an real time lighting. I've disabled all other lights in the scene. The lighting issue is really obvious on the castle, but it can also be seen in the trees if you look closely.

Another issue I'm hitting is everything seems to have smoothness turned up really high when overcloud is active. If I go to individual materials and turn down smoothness it looks ok, but is there some global setting for smoothness I'm missing within overcloud?

Video of flashing issues:

42. Fewes

Fewes

That's really strange. What version of Unity are you using? I'll have to check if there is some sort of issue running multi pass there.

Not sure, but I do not recommend trying to mix sky assets. OverCloud should work with other skyboxes and you can disable all the time of day functionality but I cannot guarantee it will work.

Make sure your camera far clip plane is set high enough for the clouds to appear. When you say "wiped out" your scene, how do you mean?

Yes, I do offer refunds if the asset does not work out.

They are not. They will appear as a static cubemap in the skybox shader. If you are versed with shaders it's not difficult rotating the cubemap, however.

Regarding the shadows, this looks like a precision issue. Try either increasing the camera near clip plane or decreasing the far clip plane.
    Regarding the smoothness, check the wetness settings on the active weather preset. In deferred rendering mode, this will modify the gbuffer if there are rain clouds above.

mentalgear and Duende like this.
  43. theonciest

theonciest

Hi there, I'm trying to get this to work, I've added the prefab to the scene and added the script to the camera, but nothing shows up?

Edit: Whoops, just read that you don't have it set up for HDRP yet...

How come? Is there any thing I can do on my end to get it working? Every project I'm working on is using HDRP, and this is one of if not the very best looking cloud systems I've seen on the asset store!

I know it's not really on you, I feel Unity devs over all needs all their systems to work together, this is getting rather frustrating.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  44. Fewes

Fewes

Make sure the camera far clip plane are set to a few KM for the clouds to show up. Did the sky not change at all? Check the Lighting settings and make sure the skybox material is set to the OverCloud skybox.

45. YolanOTHER

YolanOTHER

Thanks @Fewes near clip does seem to be the problem. And it looks like the smoothness issue was also fixed by reducing the smoothness modifiers in the Broken clouds preset. Here's the result :)

The next issue I need to address is the sun showing through the mountains. I think I've got that fixed with distance fade settings in Mie Scattering. Still testing the results of that.

46. YolanOTHER

YolanOTHER

Hit another issue that I didn't notice at first with shadowing. It is really evident in this view. There are entire parts of the roof of the castle that go black. In the video from my last post the dragon goes black at some point.

upload_2020-9-16_23-34-8.png

47. mariuslesauter

mariuslesauter

Overcloud is simply not rendering in my project (URP and Unity 2019,4.3f1). No matter what I do (tweaking the far clip plane etc.) it's not rendered while playing at all while it is rendered inside the Editor. :-/

Does someone know how to fix this?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  48. Fewes

Fewes

Could you try decreasing the cloud ambient occlusion intensity? Looks like there might be some sort of clamping issue going on but not sure if this is the cause.

OverCloud is only compatible with the standard rendering pipeline. The camera events won't fire in URP, meaning it will not work. Are you able to use the standard rendering pipeline?

49. Tzirrit

Tzirrit

When testing out overcloud in an empty scene, the coulds render just fine but start "flickering" when I look up directly into them.
    upload_2020-9-17_12-25-41.png

Is there a qick fix for it that I am missing?

50. mariuslesauter

mariuslesauter

yes it does work in the standard I am sorry to have bothered you. DO you have any plans of making this Package work for URP? =)

jvik likes this.
unityunity