Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

[released] Overcloud - Volumetric Sky And Lighting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Fewes, Mar 25, 2019.

1. lizkin

lizkin

Hello @Fewes,

I need to add jet flame effect to my project. But most of the particle effects I tried not shown as intended since they generally contain transparency (which cause incompatibility with overcloud).

Is it possible for you to recommend a quick & easy method ?

Thanks

2. Fewes

Fewes

Hi there! I added code to the compatibility page for adding shadows to Crest as well. It is untested but should work, let me know if it doesn't.

Hi! What sort of compatibility issues are you seeing? Lack of fog/scattering or do they just not appear at all? Here's a simple transparent shader (with everything commented) that shows how to add OverCloud support which can be extended to other uses as well. I just realized this is not included with the asset itself, so I will add it to the next patch.

Attached Files:

3. lizkin

lizkin

It is better to explain it by a screenshot.. The red dots are in fact part of a flame/fire .. This example is not a jet flame, but an ordinary flame (the red points). They seem a bit blurry, and smokes displayed almost transparent scr_001.PNG

Thank you very much for yout quick response and for the shader.. I will work on it

4. shawnepdmartin

shawnepdmartin

Very nice asset, i'm developing a VR project and I see some strange artifacts with fog.

First, the stereo split seems to be off when I have thick fog (probably happens with any fog, just most noticable when thick)

Second, the fog isn't stationary, depending on the orientation of my headset I can make the fog move around.

I uploaded examples here:
    https://imgur.com/a/Nx5pVxy

And yes, this is exactly how it looks in the headset as well.

5. Fewes

Fewes

Hi, can you try switching your stereo rendering mode to single-pass? Some versions of Unity seem to have difficulties with multi-pass rendering.

6. shawnepdmartin

shawnepdmartin

Yes I'm on single pass

7. Fewes

Fewes

Single-Pass, or Single-Pass (Instanced)?

8. shawnepdmartin

shawnepdmartin

9. shawnepdmartin

shawnepdmartin

10. Fewes

Fewes

Hmm, I'm thinking it's the Oculus SDK that's the culprit. I've only been able to test it with OpenVR personally but I know it has worked for Oculus in the past. Can you try unchecking "Shared Depth Buffer" and see if that fixes it? What version of Unity are you running?

11. shawnepdmartin

shawnepdmartin

2019.2.13f

https://imgur.com/a/Nx5pVxy

check the link, produced a 3rd clip, this time I disable overcloud halfway into it.. you can see how it's splicing and sliding the view at the split

And yeah, disabled the depth buffer and no luck

12. Fewes

Fewes

It is definitely related to the depth buffer somehow. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a solution. If you're pressed for time on your project and would rather try something else, you can contact me via PM to discuss a refund.

Just as a last test, I can see in the images there are no volumetric clouds. Have you tried cranking the camera far clip plane up to 10 000+?

13. shawnepdmartin

shawnepdmartin

So, I have my Far Clip at only 400 because I'm trying to severly limit vert counts and keep my FPS up in VR. But changing Far Clip to 10,000 makes the issue go away...interesting

14. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. I tested the crest cloud shadow integration and
    i cannot see an difference with values from 0 to 500.

15. Philkrom

Philkrom

Hi, I bought Overcloud to use it in VR, as it seems to be working fine in VR. But I can't find anywhere infos about VR use (camera parameters, best settings, optimization...) A tutorial would be great, or at least some guidelines !

16. joncoughlingames

joncoughlingames

Awesome asset. I don't know much about graphics, so can you point me toward a solution, here? My Unity Terrain appears to be receiving illumination regardless of the ambient light settings, while other objects of mine are not (you can ignore the aircraft - I know why that is lit). upload_2019-12-3_9-13-30.png

17. nbac

nbac

what are your plans regarding the SRPs?
    sorry read thread backwards. I guess still no plans

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 9:50 AM
  18. nbac

nbac

ehm ... the manual is short. in the presets i can see fog adjustments but where do i adjust the fog actually? i want very dense ground fog (with noise as well?!) very close to the ground? like in aura asset? if this is not possible can i use those two volumetric systems ? just clouds from overcloud and volumetric fog from aura? do you think height map based height is possible in the future? ... like here
    min 11:50

19. Fewes

Fewes

I'm checking this out and it seems the shadow float might not actually be used for the shadows. I'll get back to you with a solution.

Generally, using it for VR does not differ much from regular use. The manual contains some tips on optimization, but in general you want to keep it as basic as possible (turning off effects). The volumetric scattering mask in particular can be taxing in VR.

This could be because of the ambient lighting mode under the lighting settings window, make sure it is set to Gradient, and not Skybox (as this is what OverCloud can update).

The fog in OverCloud is a "classic" analytic solution, meaning it is based on the distance to the viewing surface. As such, it does not support 3D noise or the effects like you see in the video. The fog parameters are all present under the preset rollout. If you would like to have noisy fog, it is possible to approximate this by lowering the volumetric cloud plane into the ground, and lowering the opacity of the clouds.
    While I can't guarantee it won't work, I really would not recommend using multiple volumetric systems at the same time for a number of reasons, the most important ones being performance and blending issues.

keeponshading and KarlLakner like this.
  20. nbac

nbac

thanks for the answer in the demo the cloud plane is fixed,i cant adjust the height (by a script i guess). anyway even if lowering the cloud plane would be a solution it would mean i do not have clouds anymore or is it possible to have to cloud planes at once? i know what you mean about the classic solution but even for the cloud layer combined with height based information you could get pretty neat effects. clouds crawling over mountains etc.. i guess you are not very far away from such an effect. adjusting the presets slider does change the preset but not my current settings. and it is difficult because those sliders in the presets do not reflect the adjustments sliders in the actual settings. you have simpler naming conventions here doing multiple things at once?

the asset is producing very high quality visuals/ clouds so thanks for that. the artistic control as far as i can tell is a bit sparse.

21. KarlLakner

KarlLakner

Hey,

This is a theoretical question for Felix and possibly a bug:

- I've noticed that in the generated material "OverCloudSkybox" the lower half of the sky is producing the moire "pixel noise" that was reported in an earlier post (can't seem to find it though) when the camera is exactly at Z0(?), not in world but when previewed. (I am assuming because the preview cam sits exaclty at 0,0,0)

- I'm looking to render my ground/terrain mesh into a skybox - seeing as your skybox is already being rendered at some point, would there be any idea in looking at generating a skybox that includes select world geometry? (let's say I tagged it and provided a capture/camera height or an offset from 0,0,0)

- similarly, the overcloud reflection probe generated amazing results , but I'd love for it to include my geometry as well. (This may already be a feature that I haven't figured out)

As always, thanks for the awesome work and support!

22. Migueljb

Migueljb

Is there RAM support yet pretty popular asset still waiting...:( Or did I miss something on the compatibility page and not checking correctly.

23. nyobu

nyobu

Hello!
    This Asset is my favorite! I want to use this in URP. But this is not supported.
    So I tried to apply in URP. But this Asset's source code is difficult for me.
    In my case I want to use only 2D clouds and Atmosphere in URP.
    So would you divide the function?
    This is my selfish. I'm sorry.

24. Philkrom

Philkrom

Hi, thanks for your answer, but It seems I can't make it working in an Oculus Quest app... Any idea ?

25. Fewes

Fewes

The cloud plane altitude is a prefab parameter you can change. If you lower the cloud plane to use it as fog, you will indeed lose out on the volumetric clouds. I considered adding multiple cloud planes but ultimately the idea was scrapped due to performance reasons. If the preset you are changing is the active one, the changes should apply. Is this not the case for you?

- Is this only in the preview window for the material itself? It is probably related to the same bug mentioned earlier in the thread, which I am looking into.

- When you say including select world geometry, do you mean rendering it into a static cubemap, or realtime? Both are possible, but at runtime, OverCloud uses a dynamic skybox (which does not use a camera but rather math to generate the result). If you wish, you can use an OverCloudReflectionProbe to render a full scene cubemap, including the clouds, and use it as a static cubemap. :)

- This should be possible, you just need to set the layer mask on the reflection probe accordingly (the airplane demo has a dynamic reflection probe which reflects the terrain).

Sorry this keeps getting put on the backburner. I hereby vow to have it out next week, or so help me none of my future shaders will compile.

It is not possible to run OverCloud in any SRP without significant changes to the asset (if it was easy, I would support it already :) ). If you feel you bought the asset in error, you can PM me to discuss a refund.

What sort of issue are you seeing? Compile errors/glitches/lack of effects?