Search Unity

[released] Overcloud - Volumetric Sky And Lighting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Fewes, Mar 25, 2019.

1. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

I believe it's VR-compatible iirc, but not sure about VRChat specifically.

2. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi does anyone know why this is now deprecated?

xzesstence likes this.
  3. Fewes

Fewes

Hi there! I made a post a little earlier in the thread explaining why (I started a full-time job). There was an issue where the deprecation made it impossible for people with Humble Bundle codes to redeem them, but this is either already fixed or being worked on. If you have such a code, I believe your best course of action right now is either wait until it works in the asset store again, or contact Humble Bundle if you'd like to get access ASAP. Hope this helps!

4. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

That's a real shame, but I get it. It's a lot of work.

5. Barliesque

Barliesque

Such a shame this was deprecated. Nothing else in the store matches the quality of OverCloud, particularly in VR. And no other asset seems to work in VR beyond Unity 2018. I was hoping to upgrade a project that uses OverCloud from 2019.2 up to 2020.3, but sadly VR rendering breaks.

6. SorraTheOrc

SorraTheOrc

If this is deprecated why is it still on the store for $100? That feels very disrespectful. But then again, an update was recently pushed. I'm very confused.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  7. Fewes

Fewes

Hi there! I was requested by Unity to reupload it again in order to give people with a Humble Bundle voucher access, and was told it would be hidden. I assumed that meant no-one without a voucher could see it, but it seems that it is only hidden from searches inside the store itself, meaning if you find it via a Google search for example, it will appear as if it is not deprecated. I understand this is confusing, so I have updated the store description to reflect the situation (which is the best I can do from my end). I will deprecate it completely once the Humble Bundle vouchers expire in October. Thanks for letting me know!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  8. hopeful

hopeful

I still suggest updating this for LTS versions only.

sanctuarywoods likes this.
  9. SorraTheOrc

SorraTheOrc

I see. It would be good to make that clear in the description I'm pretty sure people will be upset if they buy a $100 asset and then find it's already deprecated. Consider dropping the price for this period too.

It's a shame this asset had alot of promise, but I assume you have good reason for moving on. Good luck.

E_T_ and Fewes like this.
  10. E_T_

E_T_

It would be great to see this go open source. If you don't have time to support it, then the community could provide that for themself. If not open source, Perhaps drop it to say $25 in the knowledge it won't be supported by yourself. I would love t have this asset so much but no way can I afford to drop $100 on an unsupported product. What you created here looks just fantastic and I would love to be able to make use of it.

Westland and valentinwinkelmann like this.
  11. Barliesque

Barliesque

@Fewes
    Just writing in to second the hope that this wonderful asset might go open source.

I have a project that relied on Overcloud, but since it needed to be updated to a newer version of Unity, thus breaking Overcloud, I've had to look for a replacement cloud system. I believe I have now tested every single cloud system available for Unity. The specific combination of requirements of "fly-through" volumetric cloud rendering with support for VR eliminated virtually all of them. I'm currently left with one option. Like Overcloud, Expanse produces gorgeous clouds that work well in VR with flythrough; but it only works on HDRP which turns out to be very troublesome to adapt to.

Long story short, the deprecation of Overcloud has left a gaping hole in the skies over Unityland.
    Please consider making it open source.

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Did you try Sky Master ULTIMATE URP ? While i do not have a device to test on VR, users have reported it to work with fly through in VR and sent me the photo below for reference. This is in multi-pass mode.

13. buc

buc

For me Enviro is not only a replacement, it even surpassed overcloud. It has fly through (and even nice fluffy clouds with the right settings), it has VR in it's description/feature list and the performance is insane (at least in classic rendering and standard pipeline, I do not have VR to test). The only bad thing is the default color setting for almost everything. But after you have adapted it to your liking, for example adapted it to overcloud, I can't imagine you are not more than happy. So, since you might already have it, you could give it another try, or maybe be more specific about what is not to your liking. I know, being more precisely about the settings would be helpful, but sometimes it is also very helpful to know that there still is some possibility.
    A little screenshot with Enviro
    https://forum.unity.com/attachments/futuristic_soldiers_pack-png.973251/

14. Barliesque

Barliesque

It's been a while now since I looked at Sky Master. I may have eliminated a little hastily, given there's no mention of VR compatibility on the store page -- which, given the numerous issues that affect assets in VR, does not bode well. If the author doesn't have a VR headset, that's a big problem. Nonetheless, if there's a demo available somewhere, I'd be happy to give it a shot. By the way, that screenshot is not a stereoscopic image -- it's the exact same picture on both sides.

I have Enviro and was hoping to make use of it. Unfortunately, it is one of the many examples of passthrough cloud rendering being broken in VR.

15. sky_is_tumbling

sky_is_tumbling

is there any updates on this yet, i would love to use this for a standard pipeline project i have but i can't buy it in anyform anywhere.