Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[released] Overcloud - Volumetric Sky And Lighting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Fewes, Mar 25, 2019.

1. banksysan_unity

banksysan_unity

Should I be worried about this missing script?
    Is it possible that this is why I can't see the Overcloud effects in the Scene View?

OvercloudMissingScript.png

2. munozpro

munozpro

Hello there. Has anyone else reported this issue here? The only other time I saw someone report this was in the asset store reviews. Is this something that I should be worried about? Or just let it slide for now? Thank you!

Attached Files:

3. Fewes

Fewes

Did you delete the example content folder? The Lightning script is contain within so that would explain why it is missing. If you don't want lightning effects it is fine to just remove the lightning object from the prefab.
    Probably not great to have the main prefab link to an example script though, I'll move it in the next patch.
    Does it not work at all in the scene view? No skybox, no clouds, no nothing?

I'm working on fixing this right now. It seems to be an issue in Unity 2019 and forwards but it has been very difficult to reproduce on my end so it has taken a bit longer than expected.

Also on a general note I'd like to apologize for being slow to respond lately. For some reason this thread no longer sends me notifications for new posts so I've started checking it every other day instead. Took me a while to realize this though. I'm dedicated to fixing the issues that the recent influx of users has uncovered so if you're still sticking with the asset, thanks!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 9:28 AM
  4. Fewes

Fewes

1. I'm rechecking how correct the date system is for the next patch as I've had reports about it being off in the past. It should be accurate enough to use real dates for eclipses.

2. Don't remove the multiplier, just multiply it with 'moonIntensity' as well. Something you can try if you want a stronger moon light but not so bright clouds is to darken the cloud albedo (under Lighting) at night time.

4. Instead of removing the multiplication with 'transmittance' in the skybox shader, you can instead add your own shader global (Shader.SetGlobalFloat("_SkyTransmittanceAmount", 0.25f)) and replace
    Code (CSharp):
    1. transmittance
    with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. lerp(1, transmittance, _SkyTransmittanceAmount)
    That way, you can control the amount of transmittance in the sky manually, for example toning it down during night time.

5. The easiest way to do this is to use the sun direction as an indicator of the current "day lighting" amount:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float dayDelta = -OverCloud.components.sun.transform.forward.y * 0.5f + 0.5f;
    2. OverCloud.atmosphere.mieScatteringPhase = Mathf.Lerp(nightAmount, dayAmount, dayDelta);
    Where you replace dayAmount and nightAmount with your desired Mie intensities for day and night respectively.

Duende likes this.
  5. Duende

Duende

First of all, thank you very much again for helping me, Fewes. :)

Ok, perfect. When you update the asset you can also share the web with the eclipse dates that you use to check if the eclipses are correct.
    Ok, I have tried to modify the cloud albedo and it works very well:
    upload_2020-10-19_20-22-46.png
    I had to modify the albedo cloud of Cirrus and Stratoculumbus as well. Where would I have to modify so that the "cloud albedos" of all the clouds go dark when night comes? Also in OverCloudLight.cs?
    Sorry I'm very noob with shaders, I need you to be more specific so I can make those changes.
    Also, it would have to rotate the image of the Milky Way. I mean, right now it's "horizontal" and I think it should be "vertical", right?
    upload_2020-10-19_20-45-1.png
    Ok, but should I add this change in OverCloudLight.cs?

unityunity