Search Unity

Assets [RELEASED] Ouroboros Track Engine (Endless Runner / Flyer / Driver editor extension)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by CptKen, Dec 16, 2018.

1. CptKen

CptKen

Ouroboros Banner Smaller.png
    Hi,

I'd like to introduce an editor extension that I've been working on for the past year which I plan to release on the asset store very soon. Ouroboros Track Engine is a level design and real-time level manager tool that takes 3D endless runner, driver or flyer style games to the next level. It is a system that places track segments end on end as the player progresses through the level so that it effectively never ends. Of course this is just the tip of the ice-berg. Please watch the following trailer and visit the project page on Unity Connect for more information.

The package has been submitted to the Unity asset store and is awaiting approval. The package will be priced lower initially as part of an 'Early Adopter' program. After 1-3 months the price will be increased to an appropriate amount. The 'Early Adopter' price gives you an opportunity to pick up Ouroboros at a discount upon release.

Features: (v1.0b)
    - Design levels via flow graph editor
    - Endless runtime level management
    - Four levels of detail (Biomes, Segments, Features and Details)
    - Support for splitting tracks
    - Intuitive inspectors and design tools
    - Checkpoints
    - Level previews
    - Spline follow mechanics (player movement)
    - Automatic object pooling
    - Advanced spawning patterns
    - Smart spawning (delayed spawn and early despawn)
    - Floating point inaccuracy mitigation

Useful Links:
    - User Manual
    - Quick Start Guide
    - Video Tutorials
    - Unity Connect Page
    - Support Discord Server
    - Follow Ouroboros Development on Trello

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

WoW Great! I really want

CptKen and Mark_01 like this.
  3. CptKen

CptKen

For those of you who want to know more about how Ouroboros works and details on it's features I've made an overview video which you can watch below.

dev_2051 likes this.
  4. dev_2051

dev_2051

Wow really impressed by Ouroboros functionalities after watching some tutorials to understand it's working .
    Hence wish to ask some questions regarding it's working :-
    1. Can we plugin our own controller for character as it will vary with game type(runner/racer/flyer)?
    2. How Ouroboros handle obstacles spawning as these can either be static (in case of runner) or dynamic traffic (in case of endless racer)?
    3. Can biomes activation be randomized something similar to randomize spawn groups as described in tutorials?
    4. Last but not least when it will be released on the store and it's estimated price?
    Thanks and best wishes for Ouroboros release.
    -DS

5. CptKen

CptKen

Thanks for your enquiry and I'm happy you like what you've seen so far. Ouroboros is a very flexible system so I'm sure it will be able to meet your needs. If not now, in the future, as I will be modifying it after release based on what users want. I will answer your questions below:

1. Absolutely. Ouroboros was originally made for an endless hover car driver game that I was working on in 2017. The hover car had its own controller completely separate from Ouroboros which allowed the player to drive freely and navigate the curves themselves rather than having it follow the spline. The player following the spline option is completely optional. As a minimum Ouroboros only needs to be aware of the player so it can position the player appropriately when the level is loaded or if the "Return to Checkpoint" functionality is enacted.

2. Obstacles would be typically managed via the feature or detail system. While features should usually be static (as they can have details spawned on them), details can be anything you like even with their own scripts attached. So you could have a detail that is say, a pedestrian that moves across the track after it is spawns. Ouroboros doesn't really care what the detail or feature does after it is spawned. The only limitation is that Features and details belong to the Ouroboros object that spawned them (e.g. a segment). So if the segment is de-spawned, the features and details on it will also de-spawn. This is why i recommend that even dynamic objects don't move out of the segment they were spawned in.

3. The way the flow graph works is that when there are multiple links from a single node output, the run time manager will choose one of those links and go with it. So if you link your Biomes with multiple links it can be as 'random' or 'fixed' as you like it. In addition to the optional 'Score' and 'Distance' triggers on each biome, custom triggers can be created by adding trigger nodes within the biome's nested segment flow graph. So you can decide exactly when biomes are changed. Once again, if these custom triggers are linked to multiple different biomes, then the biome chosen will be random.

4. I plan to release Ouroboros Beta very soon. My plan is to submit the package for approval by Unity before Christmas. I need to do one more polish pass to improve a few minor usability issues and small bugs but that's about it. I'm not sure what Unity's time frames are between submission and publication on the store though so it could take a while.

I cannot guarantee a price at this point. However, my current plan is for an 'Early Adopter' price of $30. The full price after the beta will be at least $40 but may be more. This 'Early Adopter' period will last for a month or two. (Edited this paragraph based on updated information)

If you have any further questions feel free to ask away. I will probably be re-doing the video tutorials after release as they are already a little out of date but still usable for the most part.

~ Ken

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  6. CptKen

CptKen

Just a quick update. I've submitted Ouroboros to the Unity Asset store for approval. Fingers crossed it will be approved first time. It will likely take a while for approval though because of Christmas / New year.

With that being said, I have made the decision not to release as a beta like previously announced. This is because bug fixes and stability over the last week have improved the package significantly more than I expected and I feel a beta is no longer necessary. I will still have an 'Early Adopter' period which will be at a discounted price. This 'Early Adopter' period will last around 1-3 months and then the price will increase to an appropriate level.

7. CptKen

CptKen

DrOcto likes this.
  8. hippobob

hippobob

Hello, will you raise the price in early February? There's something wrong with my credit card. It may not be available until the end of the month.

9. CptKen

CptKen

Hi, the early adopter price will remain until the end of March.

DrOcto likes this.