Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released][Oculus Rift + Touch] Ghostly Summerwind

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by P_Jong, Jul 12, 2018.

1. P_Jong

P_Jong

Ghostly Summerwind for the Oculus Rift + Touch
    Available now on the Oculus Store:
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1936824813058020/

This VR experience started off as just a way for me to personally explore Summerwind Mansion in VR which burned down in the 1980s. Today its just ruins on the shores of West Bay Lake, Wisconsin. I joined a FB group where I learned more about the history and stories of this haunted place. A few had talked about constructing a 3D model of Summerwind Mansion, but nobody took any action. It took me about 6 week to make the model of the house from old photos online, Google earth images, and very blurry low quality blue prints from different sources. I used ProGrids which has now become apart of Unity 2018. And I made use of TextMesh Pro which also has become apart of Unity 2018.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
    " frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The VR experience evolved into a simple game of collecting coins, finding hidden objects, completing some simple quests and solving a runic puzzle. At the end the player can make a few decisions. The number of achievements in the game grew to 9. And I later added two areas that get unlocked when they reach either 4 or 8 achievements. All in all about 2 hrs of game play. But its best if played in short 10-20 min sessions depending on if you get nauseous or not in VR. I noticed over time I could play and test the game in VR for about 2 hrs straight before I needed to take a break.

I used a lot of Unity assets like Voxeland by Denis Pahunov, and Enviro by Hendrik Haupt. Many of the props and models also came from the Unity asset store, and a few models and effects and materials I made.

I worked very hard to get up to 90 FPS to meet Oculus requirements on their lower end graphics cards. And making use of another Unity asset, Mesh Baker, greatly helped me reduce draw calls and reach that goal. Sadly, I did have to reduce the size of my play area created with Voxeland because my house model was still giving me some issues with performance. But in the end I got Ghostly Summerwind published on the Oculus store.

I did not have much for any advertisements. So sales were very low. But despite that I had a great time making the game and a few people have enjoyed it. And maybe a few will learn some about the history of this haunted place called Summerwind Mansion through a spooky haunted house VR experience. I will say I did keep the jump scares mild as my audience was for the early teens. I also found it very relaxing to hang out in VR in the attic of the house looking out the window in a thunderstorm. At the end of a day of developing I would normally end doing that for about 20 min to meditate. hahah.

Well that enough. Thanks for taking time to read this.
    Preston Jong
    CEO
    Preston Jong Productions, Inc
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PrestonJongProductions
    https://www.youtube.com/user/prestonjong/
    https://twitter.com/prestonjong

ps. I still have 5 free keys that expire July 13th, 2018 in 2 days. If you want one please PM me on FB
    and I'll send it to you. No need to write a review or anything. Just go in and have FUN and don't get too scared.

2. P_Jong

P_Jong

Update: I should have mentioned that when I started Ghostly Summerwind it was with Unity 5.4 and later upgraded to Unity 2017.1. Its currently at Unity 2017.3 with plans to upgrade the game to Unity 2017.4 for LTS.