Search Unity

Assets NWH Vehicle Physics

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by NWHCoding, Nov 30, 2017.

?

Which networking solution do you want to see implemented?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2019.
  1. UNet - Unity Networking, getting deprecated sometime in the future

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Mirror - Community replacement for UNet (https://github.com/vis2k/Mirror)

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Photon

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. None - I will be implementing my own solution

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. carking1996

carking1996

2. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Sorry for the delayed response, I had something to attend to.
    This time I did tar and gzip compression which should keep permissions. Also changes some build setttings. Hopefully it will finally work on MacOS too - certainly surprised me how many people want the MacOS version, might need to start building for Linux as well :D
    Build is in the first post as usual.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  3. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

A few screenshots made while making images for Asset Store:

Sand.PNG Jump Landing.PNG Dash.png 8x8 2.png Lights.PNG

4. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

The macOs Build works really good.
    But i think the Truck drifts to much, if you drive slow the truck starts to drift.

5. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Well finally :D
    Under drifting are you talking about wheel spin or the front wheels slipping laterally (sideways)?
    Wheel spin can be solved by eiter lowering engine power, enabling TCS (which is disabled for truck in build 12) or modulating input which is not possible on keyboard.

If you are talking about sideways slip then it is a bit of a problem in setup. Truck did not receive much fine tuning before and I did give it some love earlier today. Center of mass was way back and some of the slip coefficients were unreasonable so the front wheels did not grip as much as they should have.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    TiToMoskito and GLID3R82 like this.
  6. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

Perfect, do you have any ETA for the release?

7. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Yes I do. It will be pushed to the store in about 5 to 10 days, depending on how much work I manage to put in. Currently I am doing about 12 hours a day so expect it sooner rather than later. Add two to three weeks to that for the package to get approved. Project cleanup has been finished just today and now I am onto more bug finding, writing the manual, doing the videos, etc. I will keep working on it as it is waiting for approval so expect an update with some of the feedback I have been getting over the mail implemented and possible bug fixes a few days after the first version is out.

rolexhun, John-G, GLID3R82 and 2 others like this.
  8. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Here is a quick start video so you can see the setup procedure. If you already know how to set up Wheel Controller 3D skip to 2:11.

9. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

Will there be a discount for Wheel Controller owner's?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  10. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Yes, there will be price reduction for the price of the Wheel Controller so you are not buying the same thing twice.

GLID3R82 and FargleBargle like this.
  11. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

You can find class reference here if you want to check what is available before the package is out.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  12. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Hooning around in Zonda :)

Quatum1000, FargleBargle and GLID3R82 like this.
  13. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

A man after my own heart. :)

That was one of the first things I did as well when I got the demo. You should provide some movable highway cones for the central tarmac, so users can set up slalom courses, to learn how to drive without banging the car up all the time. I'm thinking if you're going to do smoke shows like that there should also be a tire life parameter, so when you use up all the rubber spinning the tires, they eventually blow out. o_O

14. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Package has been submitted to the Asset Store for approval.

Also, final builds for v1.0 have been uploaded. Mostly bug fixes but also improvements to the skid sounds and the possibility to change gears manually by chosing the gear (defaults to numbers 1-9 on keyboard - check help in the demo scene for the mappings that were changed).

15. peanutt

peanutt

What kind of pricing are we looking at ?

Thanks
    Adam

16. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

$56 + the price of included WC3D ($24), so $80 in total. Anyone already owning WC3D will get upgrade option with WC3D cost removed, and anyone that owns the old Offroad Vehicle Physics Kit will be able to get it for $40.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    John-G and GLID3R82 like this.
  17. peanutt

peanutt

Great...i own WC3D so looking forward to the release...I had been working on my own Controller system using your wheel physics but after testng your demo ill just roll over to that instead. All the hard work done and i can just build ontop of it to suit my game.

Thanks
    Adam

18. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I tried the demo. Looks promising :) Some questions anyway.

1) If a car starts to slide more and more at speed > 80-100km, then it's not really possible to counteract. Is there any chance to enhance this? Perhaps raising friction in real-time if the slip values currently become > x and (car.rotation - movement.direction > x) ?

2) On speed > ~70km and steering into a curve, (hold left or right) and brake... the vehicle rear does not start to drift slightly away. This is should be real great behavior and I would love to have this. I can make a video of this behavior.

3) It's possible to make a 3/4 donut, but not more. Do you think its possible to get into a infinity "donut mode" ?

4) The demo runs in vsync=off. Would be cool to switch to on and 30/ 60Hz.

19. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

1) This is called spin and is really hard to counteract even in real life. Try adding some throttle to get out of it, also try using mouse controls.
    2) It all depends on how you set up the vehicle, especially the brake bias.
    3) Yes it is, check the video in the post about five posts above yours.
    4) I might turn Vsync on in the future. I am currently running an 240Hz monitor so I prefer higher frame rates but I agree. Physics is not affected by the graphics refresh rate (it is running in fixed update) so there will not be much change in game behavior, if any.

Quatum1000 and GLID3R82 like this.
  20. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I tried the demo, but it was not possible and you can be assured I know what I'm doing. :)
    Perhaps you can provide an example screen how to set up in your demo!

Yes, the gpu does not go into full throttle mode and you can setup Vsync=off or any val by script via button.

21. sonofbryce

sonofbryce

This looks pretty awesome. How do you create the roads in your demo? Are they created with Unity Terrain or .fbx with mesh collider? Is there any button to reset the care after flipping over? And if there isn't, how would you go about resetting the car for the player automatically if they flip over?

22. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

They were created by the third party application available for free from the asset store - Easy Roads 3D. Only the generated mesh is included in the asset as the road asset is not mine to sell or distribute but it is free so you can download it yourself.

Flipping over seems to be a requested feature and I have added it to the TODO list for v1.1. My suggestion would be to either apply force to flip it back or rotate and move the transform to be properly rotated above the place it flipped over.

sonofbryce and GLID3R82 like this.
  23. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Demo scene has a very limited number of settings in it. If you wanted your car to drift more easily you can just lower the friction force coefficient on the rear wheels. One more thing that helps is changing the values on the rear differential. The video above was filmed on the same build as the demo available for download, with the default setting.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  24. Ryry36

Ryry36

Hi, I was wondering what the old Offroad Vehicle Physics Kit is? I cant find anything on the asset store. I was thinking about getting it and playing around with it while I wait for this to release. Could you post a link if its still up?

25. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

No, unfortunately it is not up. Also, that asset does not have a single line of code, or anything, in common with the new package. Just to clarify - I was developing OVPK as my first asset. It had a few updates but I finally decided it was time to make a new version, call it 2.0. At the time I was still not full time Unity developer so this took some time and a prototype was made of which there is still one video on my YouTube channel (the one with the red car, posted about a year ago). But as I was developing it in my free time I noticed that the code structure and the approach I was taking was not satisfactory. I also had a few big problems with the default wheel colliders.
    So, I started writing new vehicle physics from scratch (again) about a year ago (in which I did use a lot of knowledge from the first two) and the result of that was WheelController3D which I decided to publish as a standalone asset, and now NWH Vehicle Physics.
    For the last few months I am working on my assets full-time and so the updates and packages are getting finished much, much faster.
    That would be the whole story of OVPK and vehicle physics, hope it clears up some confusion on the matter. OVPK will not be appearing on the store again and consider this asset a direct replacement as it can do everything OVPK could and much more.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  26. Ryry36

Ryry36

Okay, thanks for the quick reply! It should be here any day now anyways!

27. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

From my experience anywhere up to three weeks, so about 10 days more or so in the worst case. Still, they manage to outdo themselves all the time with slow support and verification.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  28. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Here's a simple script I use. It resets the car to the last completed track waypoint - introducing a time penalty for using the feature to encourage better driving. ;) It should be simple enough to adapt it to an "in place" reset if that's what you want.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class CarReset : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    6.     public GameObject car; // Root vehicle game object
    7.     public GameObject lastWayPoint; // Waypoints need trigger colliders and "waypoint" tags
    9.     // Detect passage through track waypoints and set last waypoint    to match
    10.     void OnTriggerEnter(Collider newTrigger)
    11.     {
    12.         if (newTrigger.gameObject.tag == "waypoint")
    13.         {
    14.             lastWayPoint = newTrigger.gameObject;
    15.         }
    16.     }
    18.     void Update()
    19.     {
    21.         // reset car to last waypoint using "r" key
    22.         if (Input.GetKeyDown("r"))
    23.         {
    24.             car.transform.Translate(0, 3, 0); // Move the car up 3 metres to clear ground
    25.             // Reset the rotation, position, and velocity to last waypoint
    26.             car.transform.rotation = lastWayPoint.transform.rotation;
    27.             car.transform.position = lastWayPoint.transform.position;
    28.             car.GetComponent< Rigidbody > ().velocity = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);
    29.         }
    30.     }
    31. }

sonofbryce likes this.
  29. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

If you have no way-points you should save the position+rotation each second while all the 4 wheels are on a specified ground eg. asphalt (race track). On press R, place the car on this last saved position+rotation.

sonofbryce likes this.
  30. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

You could also use a spline to define the race line, and relocate to the closest point on the spline when you reset, or just rotate the car so that Y is up at its current location - which admittedly won't get you back on the track if you've fallen off a cliff for instance. Still, for an off-road game, with no defined track, it might be the way to go. Since games are all different, how you reset cars after they crash may need to be quite different from game to game as well. A flexible system, that can be easily adapted to different situations, would be nice. But in the end, some users may want to implement their own solutions anyway.

sonofbryce likes this.
  31. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I have just finished the flip over mechanics and here is the video. As FargleBargle above noticed there are also off-road vehicles so returning to the track is not exactly an option in all cases.

There are time, speed and angle requirements that need to be fulfilled for vehicle to detect it has been flipped after which the rigidbody will be rotated to it's normal rotation. FlipOver is also another separate class so it can be easily modified if need be.

FargleBargle, sonofbryce and GLID3R82 like this.
  32. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

For me that looks a bit strange :)

33. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

If you want I can add an option of it to instantly rotate and appear above where it was.
    I wanted to keep the vehicle in place while rotating. I could make it roll over (as if it was pushed from the side) but that would make a vehicle near the cliff fall into it in some cases. Could be more realistic tho.
    I'll try that and post it here so you can see if you like it more that way.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  34. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I have played with rolling over the vehicle using the force just now (this would make vehicle roll over in a more "realistic" manner) but have fund that it is not as reliable as I would like. Problems might arise when vehicle is in a small space or on a slope where there is not enough room to roll it over. Some tweaks were made from the time the previous video was made and below is the result. Speed of rotation and requirements needed for vehicle to be detected as flipped are adjustable.

FargleBargle, sonofbryce and GLID3R82 like this.
  35. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

There is no easy/quick solution to manage a flip over on a very sloppy ground.

A 4 pass option is required.

0) Sometimes a wheel (or wheels) has no contact to the ground. This is the first you should check. (throttle happend, but car does not move) Then jump to 3:

1) After a flip and the car lay on top or side, attaching a static "weight" to the car below under the wheel position. The center of the mass is very below wheels. The car simply standup automatically (like a tumbler). This looks organic, because it seems like pushing the car from any side. So the car didn't roll on a static position like the bus.

2) If the car didn't able to stand on the wheels after rot+pos velocity has 0.0 (after option 1) , because of a heavy slopes. Flip the car by one step onto the ground. (By ray-tracing wheel distances at all 4 wheel positions to the ground). If that fails again because the rotate angle is too high, (because the car would fall back on the side) then jump 3.

3) Set the last recorded position where the cars angle and position does not failed in the past. (using a co-routine). There is no need to do this in real time.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    sonofbryce likes this.
  36. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

The other option, at least in the demo, is to get out of the car, go back to the lot, pick up the BTR-80, and use it to push the car back onto its wheels. Of course if you flip the BTR-80, you're screwed. ;)

Flipping the vehicle in place looks fine as a default behavior, but may not be right for everyone. If you don't like how the car moves, speed it up so it happens almost instantaneously. If you re-position the camera to behind the vehicle at the same time, you won't really see the flip - you'll just suddenly be reset and ready to drive again. We still can't expect one solution to work for everyone. As long as it's an optional component, anyone who needs something else can either modify the code, or toss it out and write their own.

37. John-G

John-G

Looking forward to asset store going live with this asset. As an buyer of the old physics package and while having my eye on the wheel controller, getting it all as a upgrade option is fantastic and an instant purchase.

38. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Another small update. Currently (re)working the way gears are assigned which will allow for multiple reverse gears (for trucks and similar vehicles) and make accessing the values a bit more logical. Currently 0 represents reverse, 1 neutral and 2+ forward gears. This is because gear ratios are stored in a list. Using the new code gears will still be in a list but using getter/setter "Gear" will be using the actual gear number, e.g. -2 for second in reverse, 0 for neutral and 5 for 5th forward gear.

FargleBargle and GLID3R82 like this.
  39. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Unity is certainly taking it's time to review the asset but this is nothing new. In my experience and experience of other publishers it takes between 20 and 30 days for asset to go live. 17 have passed since submission so this will probably happen during the next week.

As for the asset: transmission has been updated and works well with any number of reverse gears. Also, I have spent a few hours today on improving the automatic (non-sequential) transmission and it works now as I would like it to.
    There was also a change to the sound - there is now an optional feature of attenuating the sound while the camera is inside the vehicle, along with the low pass filter effect to get the damped sound effect that the vehicle interior usually exhibits. Both attenuation and frequency of the filter are adjustable through the script.

Next on schedule: improvements to the clutch and addition of manual clutch operation.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    FargleBargle and GLID3R82 like this.
  40. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Folks from the Asset Store have finally contacted me. There had to be some changes to be made for the asset to fit into the Asset Store policy and package will most likely be out during the incoming week after they review the changes (this is usually a fairly fast process). I also took this chance to incorporate changes intended for v1.1 into the package which means that the first version will actually be v1.1.

Changes:
    - 0 garbage creation.
    - Added flip over feature.
    - Damped interior sound when camera is inside the vehicle.
    - Separate forward and reverse gear lists.
    - Unlimited number of reverse gears.
    - Improvements to the automatic gearbox.
    - Random shift duration and shift point (works along with the dynamic shift point).
    - Manual clutch with input binding.
    - Added clutch engagement curve.
    - Handbrake is now a float instead of bool.

GLID3R82, carking1996 and John-G like this.
  41. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Asset is out: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/nwh-vehicle-physics-107332
    There are also upgrade options as promised.

When you import the package there will be a few warnings that can be ignored. They are due to the Asset Store policy of not allowing any standard assets to be included in the package and demo scene is using them. Check the README.txt for details on which standard assets are required for demo scene to function properly.
    If you do not feel like setting up all of the inputs manually there is also a zipped project settings folder from which InputManager.asset can be copied to the project settings.Only input that will need to be added manually is "Clutch" since the input manager in the package has been left from v1.0 while clutch axis has been added in v1.1. This, among the other possible bugs, will be fixed over the upcoming week.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    GLID3R82 likes this.
  42. obstudio

obstudio

Hi, it's a very good physics. Congratulations
    I found in demo that when car is idle fuel consumption is 99,9 but it's not draining tank.
    When car is standing on hill and is on N gear (manual gearbox) its slipping down but wheels are blocked (are not spinning).
    I saw that you have implemented gearbox ratios but i didn't see speed limit for gears - my zonda reach 200km/h on 1 gear :) Also with manual gearbox there is no min speed for gear - car on 1 gear can be stopped but engine is still on 1000RMP
    OMG there is no horn :D

Is there place for brake caliperes, so they are not rotating with wheels but turning with front wheels?
    For engine sound are you using one sound for all RPM's or different for different levels?

NWHCoding likes this.
  43. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Hello and thank you for the feedback.
    I must admit that there is not horn but that will be fixed with 1.2. An overlook on my part.
    - Fuel consumption when still is actually correct. If you check the debug view sedan uses about 1L/h when idling. Thing is that when displaying fuel consumption in L/100km and vehicle is standing still you effectively have infinite fuel consumption as distance passed is 0 and fuel used is >0. This is why most vehicles just show max current consumption when still.
    - Wheels and neutral - Bug
    - I just checked older build and there was a speed limit per gear from the revlimiter. Something got broken in the final stages and will be fixed immediately.

- Calipers - great suggestion and will be added to both NVP and WC3D - something I had in mind for quite some time.

I will be working on the asset intensively for the following week and fixing any bugs that come by. I am sorry that the bugs exist but they should be cleared up fast. As usual, I will announce when the next update is ready and you can contact me via email or PM with your invoice and I will send it to you so you do not have to wait out for the Asset Store team to approve the update.

Also, I have made a Google document with upcoming bug fixes and features and will cross them out as they are fixed / added:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y34iwEsQsAt-t-3OOnVvG0o6wVDT6dp2XFkYhr1M3uw/edit?usp=sharing

GLID3R82 likes this.
  44. obstudio

obstudio

I don't have asset yet, just found it today and checked demo. I have RCC and EVP but both lacks some functionalities that's why I'm asking about your.
    Are you using for engine sound one sound for all RPM's or different for different levels?
    Are you using multiple cameras?
    Any plans for IK?

NWHCoding likes this.
  45. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I am currently using single sound for the whole rev range of the engine, combined with filtering and effects. This might change but no promises there. I went with this option since not many people can provide sound files at different RPM of the same vehicle and finding one file with steady RPMs and a duration of a few seconds is much easier.

I am using multiple cameras (as in multiple game objects). Originally it was a single camera setup with multiple scripts but I decided to go with multiple cameras in the end so that camera prefabs from other packages could be used.

IK - yes, definitely. Current roadplan is to get the bugs sorted for the features that are present and once that is done to continue adding in more features / improvements. Whole asset is build on a OOP basis where each class represents a part or a functionality of the vehicle making it easily extendible / changeable so this is not a problem.

I will be working on this asset full-time for at least two more months so expect updates on a weekly - or so - basis.
    I have added IK to the TODO list. If you would like to see some other features just put in a suggestion.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  46. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

Hey there NWHCoding!

I'm a fan of your work and am considering upgrading from Wheel Controller 3D.

Would it be possible to get a demo or some instructions on how to do a setup for a motorcycle / dirt bike?

Unfortunately, I never was able to get it working for myself, but I'm an amateur at this. :)

47. obstudio

obstudio

As for other suggestions:
    - mirrors
    - exhaust flames
    - damage for different elements with inpact for joints (possibility to loose bumper etc)
    - possibility to add many additional lights (sirens etc)
    - tire pressure

48. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

First three points were added to the TODO.
    As for additional lights you can have as many as you want at the moment but those are limited to the headlights, high beams, blinkers etc. If need be for e.g. sirens adding that in is about 10 minute job. Probably the best solution would be a generic light system where user can add light components and map them to the inputs. I have added that to the "Ideas" section.
    Tire pressure system is in WC3D directory and would be much harder to implement since WC3D is built around single spring while simulating the tire would introduce second spring into the system which calls for integration. Added it to the "Ideas" but can not promise this will get implemented.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  49. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

A quick teaser for the upcoming vehicle that will replace the current semi truck model.
    Model has been provided by Unity Asset Store publisher Game Ready 3D Models (GR3D): https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/1634

Truck.png

GLID3R82 likes this.
  50. obstudio

obstudio

And last suggestions:
    - generic joints base system - for opening/closing doors, wipers etc, and user can extend it to make for example excavator or spoiler that comes up with higher speed
    - counter that shows how long vehicle is sliding - like in drifting games
    - engine temperature - based on engine working time and engine load
    - caterpillar
    - PUN integration
    I think those functionalities are covering need for most of land driving vehicles.