Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Nottorus - Unlimited Visual programming plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stridemann, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Mark_01

Mark_01

Bolt does do reflection and parsing of c# code. It has many people in the group and are
    really good programmers as well. The thing for me about this is, that yes you can have
    what they call human or Programmer Naming. With it I was able to get Realistic FPS Prefab and
    Emerald Ai and a dissolve shader ( to remove dead AI ) all working together and I am a real dummy
    with C# . SO having to start some where depending on your goals and age and interest ...

I found Bolt an easy way to approach C# and it is not as intimidating as it used to be. So it in some ways is very good..
    The goal of Bolt is to get people interested in C# or atlest have less pain using it to learn C#.

Using something like playmaker you will never learn C# at all. WE all learn different and it is good to have
    more then one asset. I have talked to the DEV of Unode and they are very young so it will be supported
    a long time I think.

StevenPicard likes this.
  2. Szaruga

Szaruga

@Mark_01
    Well, finally Bolt has parsing or not?

Ok ... maybe I do not know.
    I wanted to work in Unreal Engine - but when I learned that the Blueprints did not generate C ++ code, they only act as an additional communication layer - I resigned.
    I think tools like Bolt, FlowCanvas, Blueprints (UE4) etc. - reduce performance.
    Perhaps it's a matter of taste, I do not know.
    I need to be as close as possible to traditional coding - but with all the benefits of visual support. An additional advantage is parsing which supports learning.
    And that's what Nottorus and uNode gave me.

I liked Nottorus very much and the news of the end of support was a blow to the heart.
    I am afraid that the same fate will meet uNode, because both tools are classic hybrids - and nature usually rejects them.
    And Bolt grows in strength thanks to advertising, a nice graphic frame, apparent simplifications - this gives the effect of a snowball that is already growing in an uncontrollable way.

Hope for me?
    Either uNode survives or Unity will do its own professional tool - which will generate pure C # code

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  3. Mark_01

Mark_01

I think it has parsing and in the discord / Bolt forums there are people making c# scripts for Bolt, as way's to do different things. It has a huge friendly community and Game jams every 2 months I think.

In the post I had talked about using 3 different packages to get them to talk together .. So one could say it is mostly c# with my bridges .. XD

Oh and they do talk about speed, as far as visual scripting goes now, I think it is the fastest but, Version 2 will come soon, and be a free upgrade.

Here is the part I think you are asking about.

" • Full Codebase Compatibility: Use any method, field, property or event from Unity, any third-party plugin and even your custom scripts without any work required on your end. Bolt directly accesses your codebase via reflection and is always up to date.

Lightning-Speed Reflection: With its unique reflection optimization engine, Bolt is up to 6x faster than traditional reflection. "

It is just an observation from me, since I am not involved as a dev or other so I do not know the Unity's NDA's .. but it feels to me they are going to put bolt as the part on Unity ,,, but I could be wrong on that too .. no one is talking HAHA.. but the Pictures of the Unity Visual scripting and Bolt 2, do look very much alike. :D:eek:

StevenPicard likes this.
  4. ataloss

ataloss

Is anyone experiencing any graphical problems when using Unity 2018.3? Whenever I right click to open the popup menu, It's as if the UI freezes, then everything unfreezes. Am I the only one having these issues (I didn't have them when using Unity 2017.4).

5. ataloss

ataloss

This is what happens to my screen periodically when using Unity 2018.3 (see attachment). Is anyone else having this problem?

Attached Files:

6. ataloss

ataloss

Hello everyone. I need help trying to serialize my save game data (I have no idea what I'm doing).

Here's what I have so far
    F4 = save the position of a cube (X,Y,Z coordinates) to a xml or .txt file
    F5 = load the saved xml or txt file, read the data, and move the cube to the X,Y,Z, coordinates

Why XML or TXT File?
    Because I want to familiarize myself with serialization before I encrypt a save file.

So far these are the assembles i have loaded in Nottorus (Unity 2018.3). Where can I find the serialization nodes or what am I supposed to do next? Is there a C# script that I can parse that is easy for a noob like me to understand?

upload_2019-1-7_19-3-52.png

upload_2019-1-7_19-10-36.png

7. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

Make sure you have the c-sharp and c-sharp first pass assembly checked. they include all of the custom c# scripts you create. i haven't done what your trying to do yet, so this is as much help as i can provide.

8. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

I've experience this before, but no idea what causes it.. i think i just deleted Nottorus and reloaded it. it seems to work fine in 2019.1 for me. (and the previous versions as well)

9. ataloss

ataloss

thx Alienmadness I'll try that

10. wood333

wood333

FYI on Bolt. C# script generation will be (slightly) coupled with Bolt runtime classes, so it cannot be dropped in a project without Bolt unless you make modifications manually. (Ludig did not say what "modifications" to which he was referring).

Seems Nottorus is still going to be the only Unity visual scripting asset to produce actual C# code.

I will say Ludig was swift with a response when I asked him a question on their Unity forum.

I purchased Nottorus a while ago, and if I decide to try visual scripting, I plan to first work with Nottorus. My programming needs will be modest, and I understand Nottorus is pretty bug free for the level of my needs.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  11. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I agree that pure C# code generation without relying on the VS tool that was used to generate it is a big deal. I have not tried uNode yet but several developers do point to it as a good alternative to Nottorus.

Mark_01 and wood333 like this.
  12. Szaruga

Szaruga

There is also uNode, which is very good at generating C# code, and gets improved rapidly.

wood333 and Mark_01 like this.
  13. jiuweishenhu

jiuweishenhu

Do it!!
    I have finished two projects.

wood333 likes this.
  14. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Hello does this package work at unity runtime or is it only in the editor?

15. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

Editor only

16. injerto

injerto

is this dead?

17. Stridemann

Stridemann

Plugin is not supported anymore, but sometimes I'm checking this thread if s1 have some questions

18. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

still a good tool. works with the latest 2019.3 beta fine.

19. ataloss

ataloss

I don't know if this asset is officially dead, but it works perfectly with every version of unity I've tested (5.3 x86 to 2019.1).

20. gvim80

gvim80

Does it generate nodes from existing scripts?

21. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

yes. it can create nodes for other scripts (i.e. you can call any other script in unity) as well as parse existing scripts into a canvas of nodes.