Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Nottorus - Unlimited Visual programming plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stridemann, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Mark_01

Mark_01

Just an observation and maybe not even a correct one.. But i have read a few posts of people in
    all different kinds of forums and people seem to be developing a fear of " deprecated " .

I have seen more then one post on different assets, people asking the dev if they intend on being here next year.

Some people seem to be shying away from expensive assets that yes are worth the asking price, but might be asking
    to support " beta " ... then get kind of a semi working product for a year or two .. then can only use it in older versions if it gets deprecated. Or if like this , the developer stops supporting and
    is MIA, pretty much.

It is just an observation that I could be very wrong on this. But i have a feeling some of this
    sentiment can be traced back to this asset.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

No, I totally get it. and have the same complaint about a number of products on the asset store. this isn't the only one by far. Unity needs to review their store for stale assets and remove them (at least scripting assets that stale as the unity api gets updated). And agree, selling an asset for $100 or more, without support, without bug fixes, is a real shame.

i will try your code out later tonight to see if i can replicate it...

3. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

Unity should clearly work on its terms of use for vendors here. The Unity Asset Store is great and there's so much here. But you're right, Nottorus isn't the only thing that suddenly doesn't get hired.

But it's understandable, Nottorus is a mega project. The way I see it, Strideman did it all by himself. Here he has my full respect.
    It is hell to lift such a thing on his own and I can understand if he has enough of it, otherwise Nottorus was not as well received as it should have been, I honestly cannot understand in the least why bolt is so hype and Nottorus remains unnoticed.

Only if you give up such a super project then it has to become open source in my opinion. MrMetwurst2 has found a workaround here and fixed the Striderman bug. that's great but how long should it work? sooner or later Unity will get new updates again and that makes Nottorus more and more useless. i think unity should force its developers to publish their projects under an open source license as soon as they post them. maybe just for those who bought them. Only in this way would at least capable developers have the chance to carry on projects that have been abandoned.

I would have wished that Unity Nottorus absorbs as much as they did with ProBuilder.
    Nice that there are other Visual Scripting solutions. In my opinion uNode, PlayMaker and Bolt are not alternative to Nottorus. I haven't seen a single tool that provides this scope like Nottorus and is so close to real programming.

Alexarah and Szaruga like this.
  4. Szaruga

Szaruga

Exactly!

I confirm that version 2.0 is broken.
    I work using version 1.8 and I manage somehow, because for half a year I used Nottorus to learn how to deal with his mistakes.

5. darshanamss

darshanamss

ice_screenshot_20180616-132436.png ice_screenshot_20180616-131655.png
    ice_screenshot_20180616-132436.png ice_screenshot_20180616-131655.png
    cant find game object or vector types here. i"m new to nottorus. what i missed here. i cant find unity actions too

6. Szaruga

Szaruga

@darshanamss
    I had this error several times - I do not remember exactly how I get rid of.
    Nottorus has such problems - in 95% of cases they help things like:
    - save, turn off and restart Nottorus
    - save, turn off and restart Unity
    - i advise compilation as often as possible - more arranged nodes and added variables / functions without compilation - greater chance that Nottorus will start to fall into errors.
    - sometimes, unfortunately, you must delete some nodes or arguments in functions, compile and add again
    Despite such annoying problems with the laying of nodes and, above all, with the compilation (which I fix by trial and error) Nottorus gives 99.5% possibilities of normal coding and the most important!:

After successful compilation - Nottorus ALWAYS gives 100% clean C # scripts :) and this is the world championship :)

P.S.

Version 2.0 is broken, i use version 1.8
    I create such functions:
    2018-06-16_11-46-03.png

And everything works great :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Alexarah likes this.
  7. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

Did you also load the UnityEngine.CoreModule? something annoying that we always have to do to Manuel.

Thats what bolt cant do! Nice Node Graph :)

8. darshanamss

darshanamss

@Szaruga thanks bro. I have nottorus 2.0. Sad to here about 2.0 broken. How i downgrade to 1.8

Yes @Diego_Graphics that is coolest thing nottorus can do and bolt can't.

9. darshanamss

darshanamss

hey which Unity version are you using.

10. WillNode

WillNode

I don't know why, but deleting the plugin and extracting source seems worked for me. I'm using 2.0 now.

EDIT: Works, but also generates a lot warnings in latest unity version.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  11. Szaruga

Szaruga

Random tip ;) :

error when trying to compile:
    2018-06-17_00-28-26.png
    solution:
    - save, turn off and restart Nottorus.

12. darshanamss

darshanamss

Thanks f
    or the tip

Mark_01 likes this.
  13. WillNode

WillNode

Anybody knows what is this 'precompiler'?

Screenshot (222).png

It seems only to make compilation slower. Not sure if it broken in latest unity version.

14. darshanamss

darshanamss

Hey can someone help me to create customeditor in nottorus. I dont know how to use customeditor script in nottorus. Show me some simple example please

15. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

@WillNode

To disable warnings in C# scripts for unused variables, you can use the #pragma command in the c# scripts themselves.

#pragma warning disable 0168 // variable declared but not used.
    #pragma warning disable 0219 // variable assigned but not used.
    #pragma warning disable 0414 // private field assigned but not used.

1.Go to the very top of your file
    2.Add one #pragma line for each warning you want to disable (see below)
    #pragma warning disable 1234
    *the number is whatever number appeared in the Unity console after the letters “CS”. In my case: 0219
    Source: http://t-machine.org/index.php/2016/04/16/unity3d-remove-yellow-warnings-you-dont-need-unitytips/

@darshanamss

Not sure if you mean just editor attributes? see picture..

attribute.PNG
    @Diego_Graphics
    you can set the default assemblies. See picture.
    This sets the default for all new scripts going forward (in theory) seems to work most of the time.
    . defaultAssemblies.PNG

Attached Files:

16. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

@Diego_Graphics
    i was able to do your graph. im using 2.0.

Capture.PNG
    I've noticed if your using assemblies outside your script, sometime they disappear, i have no idea why. you have to go in and click them again, or do what @Szaruga said. close nottorus and reopen.. i have to do that a lot.

WillNode likes this.
  17. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

i theory its suppose to pre-test / compile as your work, so you get error notifications in the nottorus console, instead of waiting and getting them in the unity console. i randomly turn it off it i have issues (which makes me feel better, but probably doesn't do a darn thing). Really it does help sometimes..

18. darshanamss

darshanamss

ice_screenshot_20180625-112906.png
    I want draw FreeMoveHanle on my scene. but i cant select cap function on node. how to set cap function.

19. Szaruga

Szaruga

20. darshanamss

darshanamss

Thank you
    ice_screenshot_20180627-150816.png ice_screenshot_20180627-150945.png
    hey @Szaruga do you know how these code lines done using nottorus. please help me I'm stuck

21. Szaruga

Szaruga

@darshanamss
    I'm sorry, I'm a beginner and I'm just starting to learn. :oops:

22. thiagoalbert

thiagoalbert

If there is an error in the text I'm sorry, I'm using google to translate.
    I am Brazilian and like some here I also paid for Nottorus, and I did not pay only $ 50 or $ 75 dollars, I paid in reais and at the time I bought Nottorus it cost only $ 250 dollars, almost R $ 900,00 reais, I remember I worked 1 month I took all mine salary and paid for Nottorus, because when I saw what the tool was capable of doing, I saw that it was the best tool I could have.
    I simply trusted Nottorus for my projects, and I say the tool is unmatched, I have some more plugins for non-programmers but I do not use, nothing equals Nottorus.
    But now Nottorus is capped, just unusable. I'm sorry for the other script developers but nothing compares to Nottorus.
    Nottorus would be the best tool to be implemented in Unity, but for some reason the Unity people are blind, Nottorus the only tool that could put Unity on Unreal and Cryengine in programming.

And if the Nottorus developer reads this, I want you to know that Unity is installed on my computer thanks to Nottorus. But if Nottorus is no longer usable, I'm leaving Unity and leaving for Unreal, at least I will not have to spend on assets that can be abandoned and I waste my time learning a tool.
    So for me if Nottorus die Unity dies together.

This is just my opinion.

Alexarah, red2blue, WillNode and 2 others like this.
  23. daville

daville

I really Hope someone at Unity reads your post..

24. thiagoalbert

thiagoalbert

Since Nottorus 2.0 is broken and we do not know developer will correct at least this problem that is not compiling the GetComponent.
    Would anyone know how I can use Nottorus 1.9? they said that it worked, I can not use another version other than 2.0 now.
    Stridemann could at least fix this problem for us.:(:(:(

25. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

I think this is close. maybe not totally correct, but since the last requirement is a delegate, you need to mess around with the delegate options, like "Invoke" or "make Delegate" , etc.
    Capture.PNG

26. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

i have had no issues with 2.0 after @MrMetwurst2 provided a fix. (other than having to close nottorus and restart it every 10 mins or so), this seems related to compiling and not closing Nottorus afterwards.. (at least it seems related to me).

27. Szaruga

Szaruga

Nottorus is a great and unique tool and nobody wants to develop it ... almost unbelievable ... :(

28. WillNode

WillNode

OK. I have to open my mouth. I'm pro in C#, and have doing many patches regarding to couple of issues with Nottorus. You can see my progress here (it's a long blog post so just jump to a table near bottom)

You can read the post above why I am doing patches (modification) for this gigantic tool. However as ambitious as I am, I can't/don't know a safe way to publish these patches to general public (I told Stridemann about this via support email but no reply received as of today, for weeks).

If somebody else doing personal modification to Nottorus, please tell everyone here :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Szaruga and Mark_01 like this.
  29. Szaruga

Szaruga

@WillNode
    Great ... but not available to ordinary mortals. :(

WillNode likes this.
  30. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

I had tried to email Stridemann after his site when defunct as well, without response. at this point i don't think it would be an issue posting portions of the updated code, as long as we're not posting the entire dll, c# script,

@WillNode very impressive. i would love to get some of those updates. wonder how we can make that happen.....

31. WillNode

WillNode

OMG I just remember Unix Diff :D

According to EULA If I'm correct we're permitted to modify assets (6.1) so then I can publish the diff file (which contains only changes) as that belongs to mine.

Thanks @Alienmadness I'm going to publish this ASAP. Just need to write few instructions ;)

Mark_01 likes this.
  32. WillNode

WillNode

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Stridemann, Mark_01 and DarkNBlood like this.
  33. DarkNBlood

DarkNBlood

@WillNode

Great job ! I've tried it, all fine except Addon_CSP namespace error. I've just copy Addons folders from Src into new Editor folder but not sure if in this case the patching is good.

WillNode likes this.
  34. WillNode

WillNode

Not sure what's that really mean but I don't change Addons CSP so there's nothing wrong at all.

35. DarkNBlood

DarkNBlood

In this case, this is just because Addons folder is not copied to Editor folder with xcopy (i'm on windows :) )

36. WillNode

WillNode

Ahh, I forgot that option. Thanks. Readme updated.

Mark_01 and DarkNBlood like this.
  37. Szaruga

Szaruga

@WillNode

Unfortunately, I can not install it. :oops: I am ashamed

I made all the points from the installation instructions.
    The result - there is no Nottorus in the Tools tab and nothing works

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  38. WillNode

WillNode

Guys, is there any of you running Nottorus on Mac? I need a help hand to test if my theory works on Mac :)

@Szaruga

You can start a PM with me. I'll try to help.

39. Szaruga

Szaruga

@WillNode

I have done two installations step by step (on two new projects).
    So I do not know what help to ask

40. WillNode

WillNode

Sent you PM to start ;)

Mark_01 likes this.
  41. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

@WillNode. Thanks for the info.. i tried your process and was able to get through all the way to the last step. and then fails with a error around the line endings difference. Doesn't seem like the merge worked (given that it said failed)..
    any suggestions? i tried the "use normalize-lf". which didn't seem to make a difference.

on windows 10, unity 2018.1, nottorus 2.0.

Thanks

42. WillNode

WillNode

That is why I enforce Unix (LF) line ending. And I still can confirm that normalize-lf.bat works on my end. Both the patch and source files have to use Unix Ending otherwise it will fail.

You can check if both are in LF ending using Notepad++ (other editor probably can too)

Screenshot (244).png
    (If the patch is CRLF you can change it anyway via Edit -> EOL Conversion -> Unix)

43. Szaruga

Szaruga

Are you planning to develop Nottorus further? :oops:
    And if so, can we report bugs and suggestions here? :rolleyes:

44. WillNode

WillNode

I only plan to keep Nottorus working for upcoming Unity updates and fixing bugs as I can identify them.

I want to add new features however It's getting out of hand because Nottorus code is too complicated -- there's many part in it's codebase that are very inefficient (I don't know what was Stridemann thinking when he wrote the compiler, it's just hardcoded) -- So no, maybe there'll no new feature I can offer in short period :confused:

Mark_01 likes this.
  45. WillNode

WillNode

Feel free to post it here, though I actually liked those are reported in GitHub Issues.

Mark_01 likes this.
  46. Szaruga

Szaruga

@WillNode
    Writing about development - I meant fixing errors and keeping Nottorus to work.

But I think I've gone too far... :oops:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    WillNode likes this.
  47. WillNode

WillNode

Nah, Nottorus is already perfect by its design ;) (just that couple of s***** bugs and UX failures in back-end)

48. MostHated

MostHated

Is this making an unofficial comeback then or something? I wish he would just release it MIT and be done with it.

49. WillNode

WillNode

If He (Stridemann) comes back I will happily tell him that my patches is 100% free and my job is done. However my gut has feelings that he will not comeback any time soon (as I saw many evidences).

This is just my opinion, but If you ask me whether I like to takeover this project when he giving away Nottorus, I would say No, because I have feeling that it's much better to Rewrite Nottorus from stratch than refractor things inside of current state's code to get new features fits in (I can point some mistakes he made if you know how Nottorus is basically work in back-end code)

Mark_01 likes this.
  50. MostHated

MostHated

You should go ahead and make a new one then that is even better and call it something else. : D

Mark_01 and WillNode like this.