Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Nottorus - Unlimited Visual programming plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stridemann, Apr 4, 2016.

1. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

I don't know what I'm missing but I can't find the source code anywhere. Is it embedded in the plugin dll somehow?
    Can you guys see where it's hiding?

2. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

scr directory in the .rar file

3. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Hmmm, OK it seems my asset didn't actually download the latest version when I updated it.
    It was still 1.9.
    Got it now. Cheers :)

4. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

anyone else have it completely mess up with the last update? (T) node isn't working.. aurg

5. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Hey Alien.

This is pretty basic but this seems to work OK.
    Is there something more specific you want me to try?

upload_2018-4-17_16-58-16.png

6. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

I am having problems now though with my big project where I go to compile I'm getting this error...

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Nottorus.AddNewAssembly (System.Type type) (at Assets/Nottorus/Editor/m_Compilation_Script.cs:49)

This is the source code version. I tried this after the normal .dll version also gave a similar error.

7. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Looks like we'll have to do some debugging now of the source code. But essentially his final release is broken :/

Alexarah likes this.
  8. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

ya that is the error I'm getting. freking ridiculous. if he's not patching it (which he indicated he wasn't) this product is dead. he also indicated it was not going on GitHub (as its not Free software) his words, not mine. but with these errors free software is what it should be. IT DOESNT WORK!

Rixtter and Alexarah like this.
  9. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

guess ill move away from visual scripting and just learn programing C#. oh well, guess i should have bit the bullet years ago.

Alexarah likes this.
  10. Mauri

Mauri

What hinders you from using Bolt (or any other VS asset available)?

11. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

I've used blox (which originally generated c# code, but now doesn't), I've used playmaker (which i disliked), and Nottorus. i think I've' donated enough $$ to avoid programming. i want the c# code, Bolt currently doesn't support that, when it does, maybe i'll look at it, but after a week of actually coding, I'm becoming faster then trying to figure out where the nottorus node is buried. just takes practice and more practice...

Alexarah likes this.
  12. MostHated

MostHated

You will definitely end up liking it better. With visual studios debugging tools, auto-completion, being able to ctrl + click things to follow the connections of methods and variables, right-clicking and being able to find all references within a project to things, being able to see the entire call hierarchy to follow where something was called and see where it is going is absolutely great.

13. Alexarah

Alexarah

Mmm that's really a shame how so many products like Nottorus which have great potential are abandoned then instead of making them free in this case Nottorus it still remains pricey on the Asset Store and the Unity Team seems to rarely have any interest of removing abandoned products even if it's been over year or more. Hopefully the Unity Team will either implement Nottorus into the engine or design a visual scripting tool within the engine that's similar to Nottorus. OMG though Alienmadness I didn't expect Stridemann to turn out to be an asshole this entire time.:(

14. Rixtter

Rixtter

Right tool, wrong dev.

uNode is the next closest tool, has the nodes to code / code to nodes. Hasn't got advanced C# constructs quite yet but on the roadmap. Full State Machine & Behavior Trees sold it to me. Well, awaiting payday. Just wish someone would buy & review it for me lol.

15. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

I was keeping my eye on it, but it doesn't even support enums yet, so i was in a holding pattern on uNode.

Rixtter likes this.
  16. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

I never thought Nottorus was a teaching aid for C#. It felt it was designed more toward programmers who wanted to program visually.

Rixtter likes this.
  17. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

OK, so it appears that it's the GetComponent node that's causing the error.

18. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

So I fixed the error. Hoping it doesn't cause others but I added the following to m_Compilation_Scripts.cs

Change line 49 on from this...
    upload_2018-4-18_23-11-55.png

and add this 'if' check here...
    upload_2018-4-18_23-14-20.png

and close the 'if' check off at what will now be line 79
    upload_2018-4-18_23-15-36.png

This seems too simple a solution to me but I haven't seen any side effects yet! :)

Stridemann and Alienmadness like this.
  19. Rixtter

Rixtter

I also have a licence for Blox... it does still generate C#... It is Blox3 though if you haven't updated in a while.

20. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

Agreed. but the new Blox Gaming System will not. plus Blox3 c# code wasn't that nice (as compared to Nottorus).

21. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

22. Rixtter

Rixtter

I clicked on "report message" on @Alienmadness post, everyone should considering doing the same.

Unsuspecting new customers should be made aware the dev won't patch a faulty product... or Unity should at least do something.

Anyone considering purchase - read post #1108

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Another thread with an angry mob. I'm here, of course, because cheeky people hit the report post buttons. In any case, the management for all communities I've found, in moderating for what I guess, is 20 years or more (I've no idea at this point) - it's almost never the customer's fault. The customer will turn up looking for help and get none. This is OK the customer will wander around and come back later. This will happen a few times, then the customer will get annoyed.

This is normal and human.

Then another customer will turn up and do the same process and they'll bump into each other and the noise of complaint will grow, then a third will turn up and so on Until it does not end and the asset gets a horrific reputation and goes down in flames.

As a moderator I do require that authors of assets manage their "micro-communities" if they will be within the domain of moderators like me (on this forum), so that might mean I'll lock it if it's neglected.

I've seen it happen many times where people sell an asset, let a community become toxic due to lack of presence etc. Often this is because the author simply does not have the time. One developer can't run customer support and develop at the same time. Even Unity struggles to.

Forums are best for users to support one another, while a ticketing system is best off-unity-site for actual support, where people put in their asset store invoice number, submit a ticket then get official support back, or even an external forum which can catch fire at a safe distance.

Previously inflammatory communities all solved their issues with official support off the forum and making it clear forum was for people to support each other (if the author intends to be absent).

Good luck everyone :)

Gekigengar likes this.
  24. wood333

wood333

I don't see anything wrong with anyone's posts. It's always bad when a developer walks away from his product This asset was probably doomed from the beginning due to its high price, a mistake for a new asset on Unity Store. Some of us explained this, but our advice fell on deaf ears.

I must have 10 assets that the developers walked away. There is nothing wrong with bitching and discussing alternative assets when the developer walks away.

Alexarah and Rixtter like this.
  25. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Rixly I think you misunderstand the use of Reporting a post.
    If you agree with his post you don't report it.

26. Rixtter

Rixtter

Well yes ok I can agree I misused the reporting option. Should be used only if a problem with the poster, not to flag content to alert Unity into action elsewhere. Hands up, sorry for that.

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting the dev should be cast into the abyss, far from it. He tried, it didn't work for him. Fair enough. Although potential customers should be made aware that the product is not working correctly & will never be fixed... before they drop their hard-earned cash.

red2blue and wood333 like this.
  27. Xype

Xype

Where is the news he walked away, all I see is an update 18 days ago, and documentation being moved into asset due to website being shut down, I am not seeing a deprecation or anything.

28. Xype

Xype

Nope but might be helpful when people who bought the asset within a short amount of time (maybe 3 months) could get a refund through unity for being ripped. Now I don't even qualify for that with this asset, so should help solidify my case. However a overzealous mod with a known reputation for being a bully comes in and runs his mount YET AGAIN on yet ANOTHER POST because of reports on posts NOT DEALING WITH THE ORIGINAL POST is getting really overdone. I have reported Hippocoder through unity support and I suggest everyone else do the same. His "only my opinion counts" time on the unity forums with moderator powers needs to end NOW.

Rixtter likes this.
  29. Xype

Xype

I think the main thing that happens here is people do not understand the point of visual scripting is for non coders to do level design without having to pester the coders so much, YOU STILL NEED CODE TO MAKE NEW FEATURES.

30. wood333

wood333

I had to go back and re-read that long post and I agree on two of your thoughts.

1. It would be a good idea for an agreed refund period, like you suggested of 3 months in the event a developer stops supporting their asset. It seems unfair that that a developer should take money knowing they are about to drop out.

2. That long @hippocoder post is so generic it sounds as though it was prewritten, and cut and pasted in. It does seem the moderator is not reading the threads and paying attention. Lame effort at best at moderation.

Rixtter likes this.
  31. AmberDark

AmberDark

I'm not new to Coding and I'm not New to game engines - however I'm not a coder - with the nodes being able to generate C# for me, that's a life saver - Honestly unless your In-love with your keyboard, who wants to type out all the {} and ; ? Even though IDE's can do it, they don't give you a list of the available attributes (I'm randomly hunting and pecking through the alphabet). I thought this tool would be perfect, However I am concerned that there will no support for the New Unity Version.

I'm looking for a Visual to C# generator - It would take me 1 year to learn C# syntax, commands, then Unity's Api and how they work together - This is one of the reasons I quit with Unreal (Learning how everything fits, then add syntax, api) just too much (Blueprints can only take you so far)

Can anyone Suggest a good Asset ?

If the Author of this Software would update it to Unity 2018 - I would be more than happy to purchase it today :)

32. Mauri

Mauri

There was the sentence "Official support expires on April 2018" written in the Asset description. Now, it just says "No official support at this moment". Asset deprecation is a feature that you can use as a Asset Store developer, but it also prevents new sales as you will get a message like this.

33. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

I'm currently having no issues with the product, but yes, it was outlined very clearly that there would be few if any updates going forward. although the source code is now included, so as @MrMetwurst2 did, if you know how you can fix the problem yourself.

There are a number of assets on the unity store that haven't been updated since 2015 and don't work, but continue to be sold, I'm not sure why unity allows such a thing to happen. its one thing if its a model or texture that doesn't change over time, but very different when your dealing with a plug-in that depends on the ever changing Unity API. i would suggest to unity that anything in the Scripting or Editor Extensions should be updated every year or so to avoid errors and other issues that pop up, if the developer cant do that, it should be removed. Seems like that would save a lot of frustration on the user community side. here is a great example hasn't been updated since 2013

@AmberDark the only other options I'm aware of that current export to c# code, is uNode, but its still in early development and from what others said on this forum, it's not ready for prime time yet. Bolt is suppose to get that at version 2.0 but that could be months or even a year out...

i updated to version 2018.1 RC1 and i opened up Nottorus without issue, no errors, but to be honest didn't do a full and thorough test.

Adam-Bailey likes this.
  34. Rixtter

Rixtter

Well hungry hip clearly reached the level of his incompetence a loooong time ago. I do frown that Unity can't spare resources to support those that purchase assets more. Unity notes on each asset perhaps?

We yet await the tool that covers all bases, but by heck we have so many to choose from we are very lucky.

A tool that converts "clean" code like Nottourus with a State Machine & Behavior Trees wins. Bolt, Nottourus & uNode were my front runners. Down to 2 now.

Personally my game is all in C# so far, just love tinkering with assets as a hobby...

35. Rixtter

Rixtter

Oh, and others in the mix... GameFlow just went 1.0. Should be huge. Ditches nodes for in-editor VS. Dev is a great guy, very devoted. SM built in, dedicated API etc.

Blox3 is another worth looking at. Converts to C# and is similar to Scratch. Dev is moving towards an all-in game system... Manage your save variables, dialogues, scene manager, plugins for genre types etc.

Just my 2 cents... Good luck all

36. AGregori

AGregori

@Rixly239 Agreed: if Nottorus disqualifies itself for whatever reason, which it did, we still have front runners to choose from. Bolt is an obvious choice, and GameFlow and Blox are interesting approaches worth looking into.

Alexarah and Rixtter like this.
  37. Rixtter

Rixtter

Bolt is in the 24hr sale, half price. They've also stepped up & are creating video tutorials with GameGrind.

Think I'll just pitch my tent. I can use Behavior Designer for behaviour trees & they also have a plugin to integrate with Bolt = everything I need. I'll keep on eye on uNode but think it needs a few months to mature.

38. Mauri

Mauri

It's actually part of the May Madness Sale, which runs through May.

red2blue and Rixtter like this.
  39. Xype

Xype

may madness does not run through may

40. Szaruga

Szaruga

Personally, I think that Nottorus is the best system of visual code creation in the world. :)
    Unfortunately, the author, though he is great as a creator, did not cope with marketing and support. :(

Bolt ... marketing and support - it is a great proposition.
    However, Bolt does not create clean C # scripts - so it's just a toy for me.

41. daville

daville

Also I've been using Bolt lately and it's workflow is very clumsy, Nottorus Worklfow is very efficient in comparisson.

Sadly people and Unity are supporting a lot Bolt... I still think Nottorus is the way to go.

I hope Nottorus don't die :( .

42. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Can someone take the source code and develop and continue support. ( if license agreement allowed.)

Alexarah likes this.
  43. Mauri

Mauri

That's called personal preference. What Bolt has is better marketing and better documentation. I'd rather support a product that is well-documented. As of now, the documentation site for Nottorus isn't even working anymore - the domain expired last month.

44. Szaruga

Szaruga

@daville
    If no one starts servicing Nottorus, the tool will die from excess errors. Unfortunately, I have too little skills to take care of it.

It's a pity ... it's the only visual tool I know that creates pure C # scripts.
    I have already written here that the basis for the author of such a tool should be to create clean C # scripts. If it is different, we get a "agent" who adversely affects performance and ...

@Mauri
    In Nottorus, the effect of my work is NORMAL C # script - which I can show to any programmer without shame. And start cooperation ...
    And in Bolt? What will I show?

Alexarah likes this.
  45. DarkNBlood

DarkNBlood

I agree !
    I bought Bolt but in its current state, it is unusable in production and it is a toy with which to spend time to nothing. As long as the generation of C # scripts will not be implemented it will be useless.

Nottorus is a very good tool, I use it every day and it is really a pity that the dev abandoned the project.
    I correct if possible the few errors that I encounter but as soon as I find free time, I think work on it and dissect the source code to improve it personally because until no other tool will bring what Nottorus brings, it will be necessary to keep it functional :(

uNode is a good alternative but still requires a lot of work. The dev must still work it I think and seriously because it has a very good opening to take after the end of Nottorus !

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Alexarah likes this.
  46. Rixtter

Rixtter

Lads, uNode is on sale for $42. The dev is very responsive and I get the feeling this won't be yet another tool that bites the dust. Give it a chance, a way to go yet but clearly he listens to anything critics have said & he has implemented changes in minor point versions already. The integration of State Machine with Behavior Trees as one unit is genius alone.

Just check it out again... would love to see some of you experienced coders get on board...

Rix

47. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

It's awful to see how well paid users are treated here. It's okay if the developer retires and says he can't put 100% more into the project. but I don't expect any more new features. but it works like before and such bugs like this will be fixed, that I expect. I want to be able to use a product that I paid for well over 100$.
    When I sell a product for so much money I make a commitment. certainly not to provide us constantly with new functions and features, but at least that I can still compile my nodes! Makes me really pissed off. We can only hope that nobody is so stupid to buy a future product from Stridemann.
    Being able to program well is not everything, you also have to deal well with your customers.

Code (CSharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. Nottorus.AddNewAssembly (System.Type type)
    4. Nottorus+Node.GetMethodCode ()
    5. Nottorus+Node.GetOutPinCode (Int32 pin, .Node_Pin OutPin)
    6. Nottorus+Node.GetOutPinCodeWithDebug (.LinkInfo lInfo)
    7. Nottorus+Node.GetInPinCode (Int32 pin)
    8. Nottorus+Node.GetNodeCode (Int32 pin)
    9. Nottorus+Node.GetNextNodeCode (Int32 connId)
    10. Nottorus+Node.GetNodeCode (Int32 pin)
    11. Nottorus+ScriptFunction.GetCompileCode ()
    12. Nottorus.CompileClassFunctions (.ScriptClass clas)
    13. Nottorus.CompileClass (.ScriptClass clas)
    14. Nottorus.CompileSaveScript ()
    15. Nottorus.WindowEditGraph ()
    16. Nottorus.OnGUI ()
    17. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    18. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    19. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    20. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    21. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:291)
    22. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:284)
    23. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:251)
    24. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

thiagoalbert likes this.
  48. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

I also wrote a review of the asset today.
    And I would like to make the whole thing clear and unambiguous once again here.
    Maybe Strideman will read through the thread again.

This product was one of the most important to me. I bought it for well over $100 back then. Because it was worth it back then, too. It compiles completely native C# code.
    It behaves completely like normal programming, only that it is visual and not text based. The logic is the same and any normal C# tutorial can be recreated in Nottorus.

Or should I say "could"?

Unfortunately, this asset no longer works at all. Not even compiling the simplest logics is possible, the last update from Stridemann has also broken that.

I really understand that at some point a single developer says "it's too much for me, I have to focus on other things". I don't expect any regular new features here.
    But I expect that such an asset with its existing functions will at least continue to function normally. As a salesperson, you also have a certain responsibility towards your customers.

Nottorus was one of the most important, testing and useful assets ever. it was so good that I always even wanted a standalone version of it. because it was so powerful that it could basically generate C# code. not only bound to unity.

Now it is worth nothing at all, not useful and absolutely broken.
    And despite all this fact, you're still selling it for over $50.
    An asset which does NOT work, which cannot compile, which is totally destroyed by the last update. an asset which, according to your own statement, you will NOT provide any more updates.

Now please tell me what is this if it's not a fraud?

Thanks for the short time with your super good plugin.
    but I can't do that now.
    I can fully understand and accept when you say you're retiring for a while and won't put 100% more into it. But a broken, non-functional, product for resale IS fraud.

I can only advise everyone against buying this plugin. Because it doesn't work anymore, and even if it doesn't cost much more than $100 anymore but only more than $50. A broken plugin remains a broken plugin.

And honestly, I can't understand why the Unity Asset Store team can't block a kind of purchase here.​

49. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

im currently still using nottorus, and don't have any major issues at this point. although using the latest version of unity does make the editor very dark (as someone above mentioned), otherwise simple stuff is working fine.
    the source code is now included, so you can poke around in that if you want (which i know, none of us want to do, since that's why we bought the product in the first place)….
    MrMetwurst2 has a fix for some compile errors. if you explain how your getting that error, maybe the group can help...

Alexarah likes this.
  50. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

for me it helps to switch back to Nottorus 1.8 .
    but the way i run in this error was very simple, just upload_2018-6-14_17-34-35.png
    This simple NodeGraph. when i was press compile the line between Start and CharController was blinking orange and it don't compile..

In 1.8 everything works fine fore me.
    How I got into the older version is another thing........ that's definitely very unpleasant. as mentioned in my previous posts, it's not just about this bug but also about the Nottorus still being sold, knowing that it leads to bugs right away. then I either have to stop the sale or at least fix such bugs.

I had tried the workaround of MrMetwurst2 and it didn't work for me. maybe I did something wrong, but if someone should still buy Nottorus and he runs into the same mistake. then it sucks very much. Nice that the other users are still helping each other.
    But I think it's quite outrageous of Strideman to sell Nottorus (for over $50) as if everything is fine.(it's not)
    If I stop support and let a product go to waste, I can't keep turning the product on to gullible people for $50.

Excuse my wall of text, but it just makes me angry and sad. Nottorus was a very expensive asset and I even saved it until I could afford it. then you learn to use it for a year and find yourself super pure, you don't want to miss it anymore and then it is driven to the wall in this way, then please open source for everyone. So that others can continue the project, then my expenses here would have been at least an investment in a super cool open source project. But like stridermann nottorus still sells, my investment is worth a S***.

but thanks Alienmadness for your quick answer!

Mark_01 likes this.