Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Nottorus - Unlimited Visual programming plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stridemann, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Stridemann

Stridemann

2. Stridemann

Stridemann

As I can see only 1.19 version published on this moment (under 1.21). Changes in new versions:

Fixes:
    - Fixed a bug in Nodes List with searching of pasted text.
    - Fixed a bug with inheritance of protected variables, ptoperties and protected virtual methods.
    - Fixed a bug with compilation custom (from scripts, with namespace) attributes, which can cause an errors on compilation.
    Other:
    - DRM off

3. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hi folks,

I am sorry for the delay with this.

I'll make the Asset Store Curation team aware of the pending asset and see if I can get this done for you with some level of urgency.

daville, Stridemann and Alienmadness like this.
  4. Stridemann

Stridemann

Hi Carti, great, thanks for that :)

5. Stridemann

Stridemann

v1.22 available to download (just approved).

MrMetwurst2 and daville like this.
  6. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

No problem! Sorry about the delay on my part in letting you know. Should be up and running now!

MrMetwurst2 and Stridemann like this.
  7. Stridemann

Stridemann

Great news, I just got an idea how to remove full Type name (namespace) after compilation:

to:

Should it be enabled by default?

I will push this to next update under BETA label, but I think it will works fine. If something goes wrong- I made an option for debug.

UPD. Update 1.23 pushed..

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    SteveB likes this.
  8. Mercury_Switch

Mercury_Switch

I'm really enjoying your tool. I'm stunned by it actually. Thank you so much. I hope this thing takes off and finds the audience it so deserves.

I have mild dyslexia. Pure code, even with syntax highlighting, is almost impossible for me. I'm a long time user of UScript, and while I still love it, the silky smooth ability of Nottorus to interpret/create/generate C# is amazing.

So I was asking myself -- why am I still drawn to Uscript? Especially when Nottorus has it beat in almost every technical aspect? For me as a visual/spacial thinker (I certainly don't speak for everyone) there is one primary reason: visual readability despite complexity.

In Nottorus, a large graph quickly becomes a sea of grey boxes. I want to see the "FLOW" of the data/logic at a glance - despite this sea of boxes.

In Uscript, I can do this far easier because its variable-nodes make great use of both shape and color - and thus sharply contrast all other nodes. Thus, with just a glance I can more easily see the flow.

Yes, in Nottorus, there is a small "V" (upper left corner of node) and there are small colored pins; but again, at a glance, all I see are grey boxes.

The artists/designers I know that gravitate to Uscript, love it precisely for this reason - it uses a variety of visual tools (not just floating nodes) to convey complex logic in a visually friendly manner. Having distinctly different shaped "In Pins" (a circle) and "Out Pins" (and external arrow), to clearly signify input vs return data, is another great example of smart UX choices in uscript.

Shape and color
    are two huge tools in the UX designers toolbox; and for a tool, like Nottorus, created to Visualize text based logic, it feels like a missed opportunity not to better incorporate Shape and Color to elevate the user experience. For example...

With something like this, all variable nodes LEAP out at me because the shape contrasts everything else. Their color SCREAMS what type of variable they are. And thus, at a glance I can orient myself far more quickly in a complex graph.

All that said, I want to be clear --- I'm not complaining. :)

I love this tool. I'm so thankful for it - and the price was well worth it. Thank you!

-B

9. SteveB

SteveB

Huge proponent of this. Early on I was promoting having colors, and the addition of shaped nodes for variables and whatnot would elevate readability substantially.

+1

10. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Hey Stridemann,

Pretty strange error here. I think it's a bug...

upload_2017-5-4_23-45-3.png

upload_2017-5-4_23-46-36.png

Using version 1.21 (or 1.22 not sure)

11. Stridemann

Stridemann

@Mercury_Switch
    The colors of class variables, local variables and properties can be changed in options:
    I can add a new form for them in future.

True, man.. That is a bug. Will be fixed..
    You can temporary use this way:

antoripa likes this.
  12. Mercury_Switch

Mercury_Switch

I don't see a "Colors" tab in my options window. Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm on windows 10. Unity 5.5 f3. Nottorus 1.21

13. Stridemann

Stridemann

This is not Nottorus v1.21.
    You can open "Nottorus Release Notes.txt" file to check version.

14. Mercury_Switch

Mercury_Switch

Yep. Thats where I looked. :)

15. Stridemann

Stridemann

Omm.. U kidding me.. :confused:
    Does anyone have the same?

16. Mercury_Switch

Mercury_Switch

I completely deleted and reinstalled Nottorus with a fresh download and the Color Menu is Back.

I had been using a custom "skin" to change my back ground color and other things. I'm not sure if this is related - its all I can think of. I'll play with it a bit and see if I can replicate.

I'm honestly not too worried about it though. I know you have bigger things to work on.

Thanks Stridemann.

-B

17. Stridemann

Stridemann

Yeah, I wanted to suggest that, but...

I have a problems with posting messages on this forum (always relogin while trying to send a post). Opera, Firefox, even on mobile phone.
    I found a solution (if anyone have the same):

-> More options (near Reply to thread)
    -> Unity Community - Error: Sign in here
    -> Unity Community - Error: This action is available via POST only. Please press the back button and try again.
    -> Press Page Back (Alt + ←)
    -> Press F5.

After that you will see Reply to Thread input field, where Reply to thread works without problem.

18. Stridemann

Stridemann

I even can't edit my posts..(

19. Stridemann

Stridemann

v1.23 available to download:

Fixes:
    - Fixed a bug with compilation Make Array node that contains constructor pins.
    - Fixed a bug with compilation Get/Set Array Element node while using out pin.

Improvements:
    - Added new option (BETA) for removing full type names (namespaces) from compiled script.

20. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Yeah the forums are very broken since Unity got hacked!
    It's very annoying.
    I cleared my browser cache the first time this happened and that fixed it for a while. I just tried your trick and if you see this it worked! :S

21. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

I'm not sure if it's related but I started getting Precompile Missing References errors all over the place with this enabled.
    I managed to fix it with a Unity restart but it was kind of scary! Not sure if I want to reproduce the error! :)
    I'll do a couple of autosaves then try and reproduce it.

22. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

And now I'm getting this after enabling short Type name BETA!! :(
    e07570b3-6f12-46eb-ab55-a22f0a9478c7.gif

[EDIT] Turned off BETA and managed to recompile. Seems OK again. [/EDIT]

23. Stridemann

Stridemann

Going to make a new update. There was a lot's of changes in code, optimisation, etc, I really hope that nothing has broken :rolleyes:

Fixes:
    - Fixed a bug with compilation Conditional Expression (Ternary operator) node (added additional brackets).

Improvements:
    - Saving options in node list window.
    - Optimized drawing of interface for 20%.
    - Custom name for promoted variables (new options parameters).
    - Draw variable node label color as var type color (Option).
    - Added minimize window button.

Some new improvements:

I think this also can be useful:

Alexarah likes this.
  24. daville

daville

Looks like I can't even like the post but nice update :)

25. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hi Stridemann I have a question. Can Nottorus somehow be used to create c# scripts for Cryengine 5 since it fully supports c#? I tried importing the monodevelop.cryengine.dll file from my Cryengine 5.3 installation directory. I understand if you don't know how Cryengine 5 works but I'm kinda becoming tired of using Unity all of the time despite how much I love Unity and I've used Unreal Engine 4 off and on but I want to give Cryengine 5 another try since it's been a while. Anyway how does the assembly feature work in Nottorus since I couldn't get it to work with the monodevelop.cryengine.dll assembly I don't really know what method to try next. Take note that there were no errors or warnings, the check box showed in Nottorus but when I clicked the check box it didn't show it's assembly with the others that are selected despite it's check box being selected. Remember bros I'm not abandoning Unity ;) I just like to have more choices especially since Cryengine 5 supports c# while Unreal Engine 4 doesn't sadly.

26. Stridemann

Stridemann

Hi,
    I never work with Cryengine. As I know Unity support correctly only .NET 3.5 dll's, so it's better to check dll version before using it in unity.

27. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

28. Stridemann

Stridemann

Hi,
    Nottorus works fine in Unity 2017. Just tested in Unity 2017.2.0b8.

29. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I mean did it support .NET 4.6 and C# 6

30. Stridemann

Stridemann

If you asking about supporting a new C#6 features - no, it will not support them.

31. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

docwes likes this.
  32. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi,

I look for an asset that I can visualize my own script ( my own C sharp classes and interactions ). So, I do not want to create visual scripts, I just want to keep writing my codes in monobehaviour but I want to visually see their sequences, interactions, etc..

Can this asset do this ? or Does it for only creating brand new visual scripts and actions ?

Regards.

33. docwes

docwes

Yes you can open your c# scripts in Nottoru via the parser and run them and see the flow in debug mode. However I do believe it takes the c# file creates a nts file and when that gets compiled its to a new version of the file based off the graph that was created not the root c# file. This may not be a bad thing because its built in versioning. Hope this helps/

34. Jinks

Jinks

Just wanted to say that having this on sale is an offer I couldn't refuse, even if I'm paying in euro. Had my eye on it for a while, now I took the plunge.

35. DeepShader

DeepShader

36. Stridemann

Stridemann

Hard to say without documentation. Not sure, but I think at least you will get additional runtime dll's from it in your build (check Package contents). Also check the plugins functionality which you are expected to get.

Hi, sry for late, was busy. Answered.
    I just made an update.

Fixes:
    • - Fixed a bug with searching by name in nodes window with enabled option "In Current Type Only" (for now it will consider the text search).
    • - Default nodes was not displayed when "Not Inherited" option was enabled.
    • - Fixed the annoying problem when make array node reset all IN pins to out pint element type after connecting or disconnecting some IN pins (when working with Object[] type).

daville likes this.
  37. antoripa

antoripa

Hi @Stridemann ,
    is still necessary to have the internet connection to everytime you open a project where you want to use your asset ?

38. Stridemann

Stridemann

No,
    DRM was turn off many time ago, so it doesn't require the internet connection.

antoripa likes this.
  39. Sluta

Sluta

Question before possible purchase:
    I work often without internet access, does that mean I can not use Nottorus?

40. RD

RD

Nottorus no longer has copy protection or "cloud compilation". You won't need internet access to use it. I'm sorry if my old posts from when Nottorus HAD copy protection confused current users. I'm clearing out my copy protection posts because they no longer apply to Nottorus. Thank you Stridermann for making Nottorus hassle free to use.

Stridemann likes this.
  41. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

from my understanding, Bolt doesn't generate C# code from the visual scripts. you will need the bolt .dll's with your project, where as you can completely delete nottorus when your done, and just use the c# scripts it generates as-is. Bolt also doesn't have the parser, to parse existing c# scripts into visual (although this is a beta feature and doesn't always work for larger code sets).

also on bolts roadmaps it says api integration, tweening and network stuff. You can already use Nottorus for that stuff, just check the right assemblies and you have access to those methods.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Yukichu and Stridemann like this.
  42. DeepShader

DeepShader

Ok, is there a disadvantage of having additional .dll's in my project?

The parse-thing and already working API/Network-stuff sounds good!

43. PaulGK

PaulGK

I picked up Nottorus a couple of days ago while on sale :) I chose this over Bolt as it creates proper C# scripts which I liked the sound of.
    I have come from a Playmaker / Gameflow / very small amount of basic coding backround and I am finding it a little difficult to get to grips with. I can't find much in the way of tutorials on Youtube or the web and I am wondering if anybody knows anywhere else to look for help? Or if some tutorials are planned soon?

I am slowly parsing small scripts and trying to see how everything works, but it is a lot to take in all at once.

Is there a simpler way to pick things up that regular users could recommend?

Many thanks in advance.

44. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

The advantage of having the code over DLL's is usually performance. The DLL is doing some conversion to C#, while you skip that part if you already have the cs scripts. plus the overall project size can decrease since you don't need the nottorus source files (unlike bolt, blox, playmaker, or many other visual scripting options)

45. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

there is a Nottorus forum site (http://nottorus.net/forum/index.php) there are a number of links to tutorials.

here are a few video's i did. (not great, but some basics)
    (http://nottorus.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=247)

To be honest your best resource is the Unity API manual (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/) . this is more like programing then other visual scripting options. I found that to be the easiest reference. took me a bit to get use to it also, but after ~week of working with it you start to get the hang of it.

some other YouTube tuts: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nottorus

46. PaulGK

PaulGK

Thanks Alienmadness :)
    I have already watched your Hex game tuts but I watched them before I bought Nottorus. I found them on the official forum. I will have to rewatch them and see if I can start taking things in.
    I have also watched most of the others available but would kill for some aimed at a beginner to Nottorus and how to do basic stuff upwards.
    I think my biggest issue at the moment is finding my way around. I understand the concept of variables, arrays, methods, getting components from gameobject etc. it just doesn't seem intuitive when I try to create a basic visual script in Nottorus.
    As you rightly said I think I need to keep plodding along for a week or 2 see if things start dropping into place?

Thanks again.

47. PawelS77

PawelS77

I have two questions:

1. How to initialize an array or list with specific values? Trying to parse things like:
    Code (csharp):
    1. int[] int_array = { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 };
    2. List<int> int_list = new List<int>(new int[] { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 });
    Doesn't seem to work properly, the initial value is replaced with null.

2. I can't seem to be able to create a static class. When I parse a script with a static class in Nottorus, the "static" keyword disappears.

(Sorry if these things were already discussed, I haven't read the entire thread.)

48. Stridemann

Stridemann

All this values will always be initialized through class constructor. Just create constructor (like a function) and set the value of this arrays using MakeArray node.

49. PawelS77

PawelS77

Question #3: This also doesn't seem to work when parsed:
    Code (csharp):
    1. public class test1 : UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.    void Start()
    4.    {
    5.        UnityEngine.UI.Button btn = GetComponent<UnityEngine.UI.Button>();
    6.        btn.onClick.AddListener (Clicked);
    7.    }
    8.    void Update()
    9.    {
    10.    }
    11.    void Clicked()
    12.    {
    13.    }
    14. }
    (Of course the Clicked function should contain things that happen when the button is clicked.) How do I do something like this in Nottorus?

50. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

I just used the parser and this is what came out. seems good. no errors. cant say i tried it though.. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017