Search Unity

[RELEASED] Nottorus - Unlimited Visual programming plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stridemann, Apr 4, 2016.

1. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Look like very powerful tool!!!

2. unitywlp

unitywlp

it will be great if some one bought this plugin and share their experience.
    any video will be good

3. Yukichu

Yukichu

I think this looks amazing. Nice job. Not really my sort of thing, I'd rather write the code out... but that fact you can take code and have it show it visually is really just incredible.

4. SteveB

SteveB

Very impressive, and I'm a huge proponent of visual scripting and have used all of them...

...the important thing here is to make the message very clear why this asset is worth substantially more than very well established, documented and supported systems like FlowCanvas.

Right now, after going through the documentation, this asset seems aimed at coders who would otherwise rather simply code. People like myself who do both, or for designers who do not code at all, need documentation that not only explains precisely what something like a Property, Indexer or Delegate is (the first paragraph makes my eyes cross, and I know what a Delegate is! :D), but real-world usage and examples.

I understand you're currently preparing the documentation, but if it's dry and technical and only understood by programmers, you're missing your market. I'd gladly pay for this asset as is, but you have a lot more work to do to make it understood why it's as powerful as it clearly is.

Cheers

-Steven

5. Rixtter

Rixtter

Very well said.

Edit: removing previous content, I'm overstepping!!

Store has updated: 268 Euro's.

Good luck, I hope you hit the numbers you need to keep this afloat for a very long time.

Rix

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    SteveB likes this.
  6. unitywlp

unitywlp

if you buy dont mind to share your experience in first look and generating nodes from the existing c# scripts
    waiting for review

7. unitywlp

unitywlp

decoding c# to visual script posted image here was little confusing
    pls explain how it was made Thanks

8. Smokas

Smokas

I still didn't get - who is the target group for this product?

9. daville

daville

TL;DR (I like nodes because it's convinient when it works, when it doesn't I use Code)

------------------

Well I can only speak for my self... I'm a programmer, I have my Engineering Degree on Software Development... So I "should" love code... but honestly I don't.

And don't get me wrong, I do Love programming, but I just think one thing is Programming and other is Coding, and Codign is just one of many ways of Programming.

For me, Programming is just telling a computer / machine what to do (also when and how to do it)... so as I see it, you can program your TV recorder to record something at X time using buttons on the remote, you can program your Microwave to heat your food using the panel, and you can program your alarm clock to wake you at some momment... for me all that is just telling a machine what to do, and that's how I see Programming.

So Telling a machine something using code, is just one way of comunicating with the machine, you could use Punched Cards to comunicate also... or in this case, Nodes.

As I see it is all about making things not easier, since you still have to actually solve the problem, but more comfortable.

Like Why would anyone use an IDE over just Wordpad? it just makes things more comfortable to you... you get all this features like Intellisense and visual cues, you still have to program or solve the problem by yourself, the IDE is not going to do the work for you... and is not going to make it easier, just more comfortable.

So if I can do the same thing with code and with nodes, I really like the nodes, I don't know how to explain it but is just more fun than writing text.... Also I don't get Typos, I get Auto Declaration of variables, I get validation to not plug an Integer Variable to a Bool slot... could sound like a noob mistake to do, but still you just can't do it even if you try... in code you can always do:

bool a;
    int b;

b = a;

you'll get a compiling error, but usually in Nodal Systems you just won't be allowed to conect it.

I've used other Node Systems before, but I've always felt limited on what I could do, and I ended up Coding again... I used Kismet and didn't liked it, since it felt like someone doing the thinngs for me... I tried PlayMaker and the same I don't like it, it's just pre built stuff... Then I tried uScript and kinda liked it, but had many limitations... then I tried Unreal's Blueprints, and that Was impresive actually felt like coding, but with nodes... but that's Unreal, not Unity, I actually use that in Unreal instead of C++.

Also I think a lot of the industry is going in this direction, more and more engines have Nodal Systems... from 3D Software, to Texturing, to Dialogs, to Video Editing, almost everyone is adapting Nodal Systems for many things... A couple years ago, I coded myself a Nodal System to manage a School's Database, and it just made working with stuff really fun.

I think Videogame Programmers will end up splitting between People who like to make Tools and engines and they most likely will never use a nodal system and prefer code, and People who just want to make a Game and use a licensed Engine, and focus on story, mechanics, art...And I think those people will be more likely to use a nodal system.

.... and since what a Game Engine can do is usually very specific (at least the basics without exending it), like Detecting collisions, Spawinig stuff, playing animations, turning things on and off, changing colors, pretty much all games will do that, so I think a Nodal system can help with keeping the focus on the game.

So, I'll be checking this Asset for sure, I'm just waiting until the end of the month to get it.

10. SteveB

SteveB

I really like Daville's post, and much of what he wrote has been my argument championing visual scripting since Virtools and Quest3D.

I fell in love with Blueprints, and mind you I've used Playmaker extensively, and dipped my feet into uScript, Behavior Designer and Node Canvas. FlowCanvas so far has been brilliant to problem solve with and yea, has been the closest to coding yet. I agree that systems like Playmaker does a lot of the heavy lifting for you and can feel like cheating. Sometimes I'm fine with that and want something working quickly that doesn't need to be robust. Many times, and this happened very recently, I want to work with a system that might get me functionality that I want very quickly, only to find out it doesn't allow me to do everything. The thought of attempting to dig through someone else's code to add what I need is daunting. I'm going to roll-my-own system and you know what? Something like this Asset and/or FlowCanvas are perfect. I can spend time working out my logic and not having to worry about house keeping. That and working with nodes is actually very fun.

For those here curious, I was doing some of that FlowCanvas "puzzle-solving" over here and I'll tell ya it started off a bit frustrating until I realized I was treating it like Playmaker and not like 'coding'. (you can see how my thinking evolved over several posts back from where I link). The take-away here isn't what I coded (it's just a smooth-mouselook with some features) but the process ended up giving me exactly what I wanted and is perfectly readable. Yes I have a smooth-mouselook C script that's like 30 lines long, but this clearly demonstrates how you can come very close to 'coding' like a coder with these systems.

TL;DR - I agree with Daville

Lol :D

Cheers guys

-Steven

11. Smokas

Smokas

Thanks for clearing up that visual development is nice and good :) And the sample about statically typed language assignment feature is especially invaluable :D
    I developed and still develop solutions for products like Integration Bus (Message Broker before) and Process Server and know how the indexed loop visualisation is helpful for languages like XSLT (and other XML derivatives).
    But after seeing picture http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/scr1-png.182043/?temp_hash=938cffecf6e8bb2fba6dade4498aa16a in Razmot post I am not sure that is the case for C#.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  12. RD

RD

Stridemann obviously invested a lot of time and effort getting nottorus released. This is his announcement thread for his first product on the asset store to let potential customers know about his product and ask questions. How would you feel if people spammed your announcement thread with other products and pages of discussion NOT about nottorus?

Nottorus seems more powerful than many other systems because of the clean C# code output for compilation. Can you go into more detail about the outputting and compilation of code from nottorus? Ahead Of Time compilation breaks many other systems that use reflection. Can nottorus compile to IOS and webgl and avoid the AOT limitations of other systems?

Clean C# source code output from your visual nodes is a big deal for operations maintainers where code reviews and version control is required for any software deployed into production.

theANMATOR2b and unitywlp like this.
  13. Rixtter

Rixtter

Did I miss something, is/was someone trying to hijack this thread?

14. Rixtter

Rixtter

@SteveB and @daville

Looks like the three of us are in the same boat :cool:

I'm a Programmer/Analyst by trade, got my HND in Software Engineering... but my job is an email administrator & the only code I get to play with is Powershell. So I try to write games as a hobby.

The last games/apps I published were back in the days of the Palm Pilot :rolleyes: Back then it was NSBasic and CASL (VB and C).

As a coder & a COMPLETELY rubbish artist, I find VS tools to be my version of art. I get to code, but also produce pretty graphs lol.

I've tried Playmaker, uScript, Blox2, Gameflow, FlowCanvas, iCanScript, NodeCanvas, Behavior Designer, Behavior Machine... and kicked the tyres of others.

I'm loving FlowCanvas for now, but tend to convert to code because I just can't NOT convert. Old habits lol.

Then came along Nottorus. Potentially it looks like the killer app. All of the nodes, totality of code. Perfect. I just hope it reaches the audience it should, but I just don't see it happening in its current state... targeting people like us three (our hobby is worth the cost). For it to be mainstream, it probably needs a dramatic price drop. I fully understand that the developer will be unwilling to price compete against the likes of FlowCanvas, deservedly so. But why would an indie move over for 4x the price? If it is appealing in productivity, support, and has a healthy forum. And to get that, the vicious circle of price begins again.

I really really want this to succeed, but I'm going to be very patient. I'll stick with FC for now, hope that I'm wrong at the above, or the dev changes tactics. I just hope it doesn't go so far as certain other assets that now have tumbleweed rolling across their forums.

Rix

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  15. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

This looks like an amazing asset, and worth the price for the work you've put into it.

That said, I can't justify a purchase for any of the projects I'm tinkering with at the moment, but I really hope Unity picks your work up as an official feature of the engine.

wood333, CharactersArt and unitywlp like this.
  16. CharactersArt

CharactersArt

I'll wait for the price reduction... (see post #16)

17. shaybbe

shaybbe

I've been following this plugin for a while. Seems interesting enough though the price is an issue. Is there an evaluation version I can try out first?

18. Rixtter

Rixtter

It was reduced from the 350 Euro's to 268 Euro's.

I think that's as good as it gets.

19. Stridemann

Stridemann

There are 2 steps of compilation:
    • Getting code from all nodes, functions and other script objects. At this step will be performed basic check for the errors and other problems (some pins are not connected, pin types can't be connected (after changing variables types or overloading functions), the mononehaviour class named not as script filename (was renamed), etc).
    • Pre-compilation (optional). When the source code is ready it will be compiled in C# compiler (in memory) as final error cheking. It will catch ALL errors which could seep into the final source.
    But 'Pre-compilation' is not work in mac for now (throwing errors that it can't find path to the compiler). Because the path to the compiler configured not correctly in unity engine (as I google it). Or the user should to set maximum permissions (admin) for unity engine\compiler. I'm not sure. (I can't find the link of dat thread on stackoverflow site).

20. SteveB

SteveB

From what I can tell price is only an issue if support and documentation is faltering. Right now I'd like to see more immediate dialog here with @Stridemann and constant improvements the the assets education.

When I look at threads from @nuverian (FlowCanvas/NodeCanvas) , @Alex Chouls (Playmaker) , @yung (acParkour) and @jerotas (MasterAudio) [to name but a few off top of my head], the number one thing that stood out (outside of having excellent assets) is the quality and immediacy of their support and communication. Any asset that has a developer that rarely participates makes me nervous about pulling the trigger.

TL;DR - Engage enthusiastic audience as often as reasonably possible and document, document document (and tutorials)

Cheers!

-Steven

Deleted User and theANMATOR2b like this.
  21. Rixtter

Rixtter

I think he's smoking him some cigarettes, doing a jig and shouting "Oh, you're in charge? Well, I got some bad news for you *Dwayne*, from up here it doesn't look like you're in charge of jack sh1t."

Yippee-ki-yay

More likely fed up with us moaning about a few Euro, keeping answers to those that merit technical response.

SteveB likes this.
  22. RD

RD

It seems I spend as much time integrating and updating assets as I spend programming new code. Unity and the market are moving fast and I MUST have many of the updates. I also dread the updates. As a user of many assets with MANY thousands of lines of code and frequent updates that I need, I'd like to ask about converting source code from assets into visual nodes and back into source code.

It appears from your documentation that nottorus can convert the source code from an asset into nodes that I could visualized/study/debug/integrate. That would be a HUGE help when an asset is updated. Downloading an update, feeding it into nottorus, and then watching the values on the connections change in real time... that would be amazingly helpful for me to quickly understand and integrate another programmer's 10k+ lines of code into my system.

You also state that Nottorus has the ability to jump to Unity and .Net documentation when you click on a node! That's very very helpful but, could nottorus also jump to the source code in the original asset (where the programmer would have comments)? Jumping to the asset's source code from the visual node that I'm studying and letting me read their comments while I'm upgrading, debugging, or integrating another programmer's code... That would really help me learn and understand their source code.

Let's assume that I make some changes to a node and nottorus generates NEW source code with my modifications into a new file. The comments of the original file would be lost BUT, could I use diff and git to merge my new commentless code back into the original commented source code? My debugging and upgrade integration tweaks wouldn't be making major logic changes so, it seems merging tweaks back into the original commented code could work... That would remove a lot of stress and save me time when integrating new assets and updates. I can see many ways using diff and git to merge my changes back into the original source code would improve my work and save MANY hours every month in upgrading, integrating, debugging, or learning other programmer's many thousands of lines of code.

Could nottorus be used in the ways I've mentioned?

Looks like you've made an amazingly valuable asset! I can't imagine how much work this must have taken you. I've worked with parsers and code generators for decades and your product blows my mind! Congratulation on getting such a beast into the asset store! It's going to take time to build awareness of just how valuable this is for programmers. We all know how we hate to change our text editors and the well deserved blood feuds of IDEs. I just think you need to keep showing how nottorus is wildly different from other tools. It took me a good bit of time to see how this might be super valuable to my update and integration time vacuums.

You've got a sale from me for how nottorus will help me to not dread updates, save many hours of my time each month, cut my stress, and avoid some of the misery of sifting through thousands of lines of other programmer's code every single month!

SteveB likes this.
  23. RD

RD

Stridemann I just saw your post about catching errors when nottorus converts source code into visual nodes. VERY NICE! It makes sense that fully converting source code to visual nodes would expose many of the problems in the source code. Looks like the nottorus parser will catch some subtle and nasty bugs for me!

24. SteveB

SteveB

@Stridemann, can you start discussing your plans for support and documentation? As I said, try to be on top of communicating with the people here that could be your biggest supporters; you talk to us and we'll talk about Nottorus...

:)

-Steven

Rixtter and theANMATOR2b like this.
  25. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Price is high however if it had/has the support as SteveB continues to mention - AND - delivered the information in simple to understand plain language to people who are not programmers - this would be a great tool to add to the tool belt.
    Agree 100%
    I'm an artist (wanna be designer) who uses playmaker. I decided to use playmaker because of the VAST amounts of information available for it, the great customer support from Alex, the tutorials, the clean and easy to understand instructions which are broken down in simple easy to understand logic.

I'm guessing a quarter of the users of visual scripting tools are equal to my understanding of programming knowledge. And so far this tool looks to be beyond my ability to use without high difficulty.
    But it does look like an awesome addition available to half or more of the Unity community.

SteveB and Rixtter like this.
  26. Stridemann

Stridemann

Yes, I try to answer all questions directed to me, but I do not always understand perfectly. Also English is not my primary language, and I often use a translator to properly understand and you and do not make mistakes by myself and it takes too much time.
    I hope I have the right answer, and I'm sorry if I write something wrong.

Yes. As I said in post #12 for now I'm finishing basic documentation (I will add 'structs' and 'interfaces' pages).

Then I thinking about to add "help" buttons in plugin near all script objects in toolbar, that will redirect to the relevant pages in the documentation... But it is not urgent. First of all I have to make the video tutorials for different tasks of game development.
    Then I add a few articles on the topic "tipes & trics". I'll tell you about all the exciting possibilities which, although a bit but can speed-up the development and make it more comfortable.

============================================================================
    I described the main features of the plugin, but say nothing about the parser (code into the nodes).

The parser is a big part of my plug-in and it was very difficult to implement it. Its not a main feature of my plugin, but its a great addon that can help somebody.
    I had to handle all aspects and subtleties of the C # language. Most of them I have handled, but I still encounter moments that he can't converts. I can not guarantee 100% conversion of the code into the nodes, and now it running in a beta mode.
    Conversion does not happen instantly, because the parser to find all types of variables, function parameters, and so on. Also it takes more time to search some function from type. Parser need to find the type, then find a function satisfying all using arguments.
    But anyway I'm working on its improvement to this day.

Rixtter likes this.
  27. SteveB

SteveB

Wonderful! Yea your English is perfectly fine, so rather if you have a question about any questions we have, we have no problem restating them differently to help out. I'd rather reword my questions and have you respond than have you not understand and avoid responding.

All in all I'm very excited about this asset! :D

Cheers Stridemann

-Steven

Rixtter likes this.
  28. Stridemann

Stridemann

Thanks, but I still not understand the post №71. Looks like a joke or a phrase from the movie o_O:p

As I understand the problem is commentaries of code..
    I don't know, but your method might work.

The nottorus plugin allow to make a commentaries for some (groups) of nodes (as you can see in screenshots). But thay have not yet compiled into the source code :oops:. I don't implement this because I don't know what to do if commentary contain nodes from different branches of sequence (example). I should add this commentary only for one line of code or to all lines that was generated from this nodes? I think the first one.

And there can be a few types of commentaries:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. /// <summary>
    2. /// This function.. blah blah blah..
    3. /// </summary>
    or simple:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //This function.. blah blah blah..
    I will add an options for all of this.

PS. Sorry for the clumsy arrangement of nodes in a graph. My friend always troll me, that my nodes as prostitutes scattered on the road. :D.

Attached Files:

SteveB and Rixtter like this.
  29. Rixtter

Rixtter

Perhaps you are right, and I am very happy to wrong. I fixated on price thinking it might keep numbers down, but on reflection we aren't buying a game but a serious tool for serious work. If the docs get there, and I see more posts from Stridemann that suggest he is planning exactly that, then I am firing my reservations out the window. I haven't learnt the advanced engine topics yet, this will be excellent for me :)

theANMATOR2b and SteveB like this.
  30. Rixtter

Rixtter

Hahaha, yes a quote from the movie :D

I seen you had a sense of humour from an earlier post (devil), wanted to give you some laughs. Great movie, seen each several times.

SteveB likes this.
  31. Stridemann

Stridemann

I want to make an updater IN my plugin, bacause I'll make updates more frequently and more quickly than assetstore administration can check them out. I do not want my users have been waiting for ~2 weeks while the administration check it.
    Is that possible? I can do this?

Rixtter and SteveB like this.
  32. SteveB

SteveB

I doubt that but that would be F***ing impressive. :D

Rixtter likes this.
  33. elbows

elbows

What some assets do is setup their own website which has a user system. Then they ask people who purchased their asset to send them their invoice number (to prove they really bought it) and then enable that persons user account to download new versions from the site.

I'm pretty sure you could make your unity plugin talk to the web, but you might have difficulty handling the actual downloading & importing of the unity package, not sure. I think I've seen assets that at least contain a version checker that checks with their own website to see whether user has latest version, and a button that takes them to the website to get new version if available (but you still need your own site & your own 'proof of purchase' system as mentioned in my first paragraph).

34. Smokas

Smokas

I would be really surprised if Unity will allow that - it is serious security risk.

RD likes this.
  35. Rixtter

Rixtter

No idea of the work involved, but Playmaker have an addon freely available as a plugin called Ecobrowser. The idea is it extends functionality by allowing extra nodes. Doesn't go through Unity.

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W1181

You would need to make the updates an addon of sorts, maybe you could utilise it as a temporary update until the store clears. Have your store update remove the addon components?

Either way, I think this shows one hell of a commitment to your existing and future customers.

I am very impressed :)

Rix

36. Rixtter

Rixtter

Quote of the thread so far :cool:

You got more beer down your neck than I have? :p

SteveB likes this.
  37. SteveB

SteveB

...I will in a few hours!

Rixtter likes this.
  38. Rixtter

Rixtter

Yes this is a good idea too, similar to the one I posted but with different security. If you want to follow this idea, I know you have a contact in Justin from the maker of Behavior Designer - he implements this for his addons. The user supplies his/her invoice number to download the addons directly from his site.

Again, it's addons, and I'm not sure it would suit your specific requirements.

Ecobrowser security is that it checks you have Playmaker installed.

Other than that, the fact that you intend to update regluarly will keep us all happy!!

Rix

39. RD

RD

Stridemann, it would be safest to email the Unity asset store and ask directly if you are allowed to bypass their review process to quickly update your customers. You don't want to get banned from the asset store by trying to get past their store rules and asset review processes.

You can easily dropbox or email quick updates to specific customers if you ever needed to.

Smokas makes a good point about the security problems. I deal with corporate types that demand security. Many IT programmers will have company policy that will only allow using assets that passed Unity's asset review processes. Corporate security won't be happy to see pings on their network trying to get to some unknown server. They'll already know the pings to Unity have corporate approval. I can't think of any potential customer who would refuse or be unable to buy your system under asset store rules.

Rixtter likes this.
  40. Rixtter

Rixtter

Very true, it would mean your corporate customers having to open an additional firewall port for another (dedicated) IP address. If they buy in to Nottorus, it really shouldn't be a problem. But it is a security hoop you may not want to ask your users to risk.

RD likes this.
  41. Rixtter

Rixtter

Race ya :oops:

There should be a finger alcohol tester on my keyboard, I talk utter S***e when drunk & end up apologising or deleting posts the next day. I have had warnings lol.

42. SteveB

SteveB

Lol my drunk texts whilst sitting on the toilet at 4am say hi!

Rixtter likes this.
  43. Stridemann

Stridemann

Well, yes.. I agree. This is serious security risk. And I think unitecs will not be happy too)

Yes, and I found site plugin to do this. Based on this.

But now I don't want to do this. :)
    I go cut off updator code. :rolleyes:

SteveB likes this.
  44. SirAstral

SirAstral

@Rixly239 nice to meet a fellow Exchange admin, well I am not one anymore (got tired of the politics) and now just do general engineering with PoSh, ConfigMgr, Orchestration, and Front End Design. I do a heck of a lot with PoSh to the point where 1/2 of the scripts I write directly call C# classes cause I am sick and tired of the cmdlets not working between versions across 15k machines or that modules have to be imported and called differently depending on OS. I could complain about PoSh all freeking day.

@Stridemann This asset you have looks like the tits... $250 is easily in my price range, but I do have some extra questions for ya! I had a real laugh on your comments about the "Devil and Tambourines" using messaging systems is similar to IOC for me and I have found that I rather like them, especially if you have something that can show messaging events in real time the way Code Control asset for Unity does! Anyways...

What all does Nottorus support? For Examples, can I...
    • Create an Object that Holds multiple property types? Example An Object with an Array of Arrays? Or Objects holding additional Objects?
    • Could your interface be exposed during Run Time? yes I have a specific scenario in mind for this. The idea would be to make a gameified interface that would allow people to generate a script, attach it to an object and have it execute and return data without having to wait for traditional compile and execute?

I could not immediately determine this from reading your documents, but I am also lazy too! Thanks for your time sir!

45. Stridemann

Stridemann

If you're talking about this page.. that was a draft :oops:. And it was deleted (today :D) (thank you for reminding me). And you had not noticed there was also a second paragraph- "Script objects", which describe all of them, with "real-world usage and examples".

I did sinning too :D Also when "THERE IS NO TIME TO GET COMPONEN<T>!11"
    I'm joking (or not.. I still use it in bullets code :oops:), but sometimes its better to make a custom event system on delegates with "adding/removing listners".. (hm, this could be a topic for an Advanced tutorial)

I don't understand perfectly all your questions, but I try to answer..
    What you mean under "Object"? Class that inherited from UnityEngine.Object?

>>Holds multiple property types
    You mean class properties? Yes, why not.

>>Object with an Array of Arrays?
    Yes, nottorus supports all possible types of arrays: Single-dimensional, Multidimensional arrays and Array-of-arrays (jagged), that can hold any type of objects you wish. Allso indexers too.

>>Or Objects holding additional Objects?
    You mean instances of classes that "inherited from UnityEngine.Object"?
    Yes.

Or you mean script that holds references to other Objects (gameobjects, components, etc)?
    Yes.

If you want to "generate" C# code it MUST be compiled anyway (or use a memory compiler that allows to compile from text source and execute code after compilation). If you don't want to generate - you can create something like stack of commands which will be processed sequentially (like CPU works :) ).

46. koblavi

koblavi

So, before coming here, I first checked out this tool on the asset store. Then I saw the price. then I said "WTF? what is this new comer thinking? Being more expensive than the existing well established VS tools out there?". But I got curious and checked out the pictures and then I went to the web site... read the (limited) documentation. And then I was just blown away!! Not because you've built an exceptionally useful tool, but because you've built a fully featured Visual IDE (VIDE) complete with an OOP visual programming language VPL. This isn't just a Visual Script Editor for Unity. you could have deployed this thing as a stand alone editor and dev will write .net apps with it. On top of that, it can convert entire classes into VPL. That's beyond impressive.

Trouble is, I don't know if there's really a market out there for a tool like this. The truth is C# is indeed easy to work with. So most C# devs will probably stick to their toolset. Although it is likely that C# devs will still benefit from it's visual debugging features. Artists still have a bit of a learning curve to traverse with a tool like this. It is obviously not as steep a learning curve as C# but still steeper than other visual scripting tools. You've got to at least be able to understand structured OOP logic to get this. The only difficulty this takes away for the artist is learning the C# syntax. Still, there's that group of programers who might use a tool like this because they're not too fond of code conventions and all the other arbitrary rituals that go with code editing. I agree with the people on this thread saying you really need to market this tool well and add a lot of tutorials and invest in building a community around it. And I see the power this contains but even $200 is still pretty high. Especially when you think about the fact that established IDE's like intellij sell for below that price point. Might look like comparing apples with oranges, but trust me, people are gonna want to justify the purchase of a 'plugin' for $200 and they'll ask these questions. If you want to blow all the other visual scripting tools out of the water, your most competitive price point in $100 (And a lot of tutorial videos and community).

Stuff I'd like to see
    - Seamless switching between C# code editor (like SI3) and nottorus. (i.e. I can open and edit generated source code and switch back to nottorus and see my changes and so on...)
    - Documentation shows within editor as tooltips rather than opening in external program.
    - Option to double click and open C# source and open corresponding nottorus file. (i.e. treat nottorus as a first class code editor)

This is Epic! So unreal! (No puns intended!!) :D

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    theANMATOR2b, SteveB, Rixtter and 2 others like this.
  47. unitywlp

unitywlp

make some video tutorials to show how the plugin can be used in the real life.
    it was such a nice tool with out tutorials it cannot get attention so make some videos with a sample examples

48. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

I think Unity must promote this plugin. Unity don't have any powerful visual script tool now.

49. Rixtter

Rixtter

I agree with everything you said :cool:

Nottorus will ultimately arrive at this destination, but there is a journey to map out first. Stridemann knows he has a serious game changer here, he hopes to attract lots of coders who know this to be well worth the price. Which it is. But coders code, so it targets a subset who see the added benefits, or the hobbyists like me who enjoy the visual aspect.

Designers, Playmaker types etc will not make the switch yet irrespective of price. It is visual C# and you need to be able to think code or you will sink fast. I myself need to start some advanced C# training to be able to wield this beast. At the minute I can swing a sword, this weapon is more like a bazooka :eek:

Limited audience.

We've already seen several comments question price. So it won't get the sales until it appeals to the masses.

Early adopters need to get in first, start posting to the Nottorus forum to build some foundations, code snippets, tutorials, FAQs etc.

Then I think at least one of two things need to happen:
    1. Price reduction to sub $100
    2. Unity start actively backing/promoting it

Only then can it potentially gain the traction to the likes of Playmaker. Does ANYONE believe Playmaker would have 2000+ reviews if it were > $200? I think not.

I can also see advanced devs writing tools to interact with Nottorus!!!

Time will tell... but you heard it here first :p:D:p:D:p:D

As for me, I actually can't afford it yet because the Wife has our financial plan to get from Ireland to San Diego and Las Vegas in a few months :cool::cool::cool: I'll save up for a month or two to get Nottorus...

Rix

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Alverik likes this.
  50. Stridemann

Stridemann

It will not be a problem if I write the subtitles instead of dubbing?
    As I said in post #76 I'm not very good in speaking English.