Search Unity

[RELEASED] Nottorus - Unlimited Visual programming plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stridemann, Apr 4, 2016.

1. somosky

somosky

I've definitely assigned all variables through the inspector. I suspect I've just coded it the wrong way. This script is to be placed on every gun in my game and will snap to a predetermined unique spot for every weapon. Stridemann mentioned to make sure my game object is parented which it is not by default. By default my weapon is its own parent and when it is picked up it is parented to either the right or left hand depending on which one picked it up and then the script locks it into the correct location. The script works perfectly I just am getting the null reference error. So I'm guessing since there is no parent to begin with that is where the problem is coming from. Although I think the error persists even when the item is parented. Just need to do some more testing when I get home.

2. Stridemann

Stridemann

Switch nottorus to debug mode, recompile the script and press play (optionally you can select object for debug) and you will see all the values for each line of code.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  3. somosky

somosky

Yep was totally my fault and the debug showed me my problem. Also I had no idea there was a node for Null. That answers so many questions haha. So thank you for that.

Seriously though why doesn't every get this asset it's amazing. I'm teaching myself C# with it and even though I'm making dumb noob mistakes (look at my previous question haha) I feel like I'm really learning. Do thank you for making this asset it's really helping me out and totally worth the money.

4. Stridemann

Stridemann

Node, named as null )

5. somosky

somosky

So I've run into a few more issues and was wondering if you could show me the node setup for a few more problems I'm having.

1. If I have a array with 5 game objects how would I pick one of the objects in the array at random? I would imagine I could use random.range but that requires a min and max int which I can't seem to find a way to get that out of the array node variable.

2. Would it possible for you to show me how to use a Raycast and a Draw Ray at the same time using the same parameters? Direction, length etc. I've tried everything I can think of and have even tried to parse a script and the parse didn't seem to come out right because there was nowhere for me to set the length of my raycast or drawray.

3. If I have a public int or float how could I set those to be sliders in the inspector or how could I create a serialized field for a variable?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

6. Stridemann

Stridemann

1) UnityEngine.Random.value multiply it by your array.length (node) (or 5) and use this result for Get array element node as index (float->int : Round option).
    2) For DrawRay parameters is: position and direction. You can multyply direction to some value to control the length of drawing ray.
    Same with RayCast, but if there is a Distance parameter there is no need to multiplying the direction, just set the distance value.
    Also if need (optional) to set the layers for raycast - create a public variable of LayerMask type, connect it to Layer parameter in RayCast node.
    3) RangeAttribute

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  7. somosky

somosky

I still am not able to get the Draw Ray to work. For example if I create this script in Unity

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class ExampleClass : MonoBehaviour {
    void Update() {
    Vector3 forward = transform.TransformDirection(Vector3.forward) * 10;
    Debug.DrawRay(transform.position, forward, Color.green);
    }
    }

it works fine. I understand how the function Drawray works. However when I parse that script it opens up in Nottorus and the Math Function node does not have the bottom node connected (because I used 10 instead of a variable I get that) but I cannot hit the button "Set pin as connected" and type in 10 manually or set a public variable to multiply it with. Am I just going crazy ?

8. Stridemann

Stridemann

That is a fail of parser. I'll check this. (it automatically set the input types after out pin was connected)

In the last version I add "Reset to default" button

then the float type (from any source) should be connected and disconnected:

Yes, a little bit uncomfortably, but this is the only way to work with Math node which is universal for all types.
    I don't know how to make it better (add the possibility to set the pin types directly(from a list of types)?)

9. shukenmg

shukenmg

I would like to know if this plugin support the Windows Holographic APIs?

If so how do they work.

If not will there be support for it soon?

10. daville

daville

I haven't used That API... but, technically Nottorus can do anything you can do in C#, and should be compatible with anything that's compatible with C# scripts.

11. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

i left a couple of messages on the Nottorus forum. should we post here or on your forum with questions? i only ask because the updates section, doesn't have the last number of version release updates listed. would be nice to see that updated so we can track changes.

more tutorials would be nice.. and the links to the API documentation needs updated i some areas.

but i am liking it so far. good stuff.

12. Stridemann

Stridemann

Hi.
    I wish I have a notifications on that forum for the new threads.. but seems no functionality for that..
    UPD: Answered.

Where is?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  13. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

i posted it under feature requests in the forum, i will update the forum as i come across the links that don't work. i didn't document them as they came up.

14. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

I gave up using the Forum over there because a) There's too many spammers and b) I don't seem to get any response. :)

Stridemann I have a problem with Nottorus and it's kind of hard to explain but I'll try...

I have a game with quite a lot of functions all under 1 main GameObject. Sort of like a central game logic control object.

In the Update() function it basically calls the various functions using switch and flow controls.

Sometimes if I'm editing one of the functions and do a compile Nottorus doesn't compile the whole Update() function. The game gets to a certain part and then waits as it's not getting to the next stage.
    To fix it I have to go to the Update() function and compile again and then it all works properly.

Do you have any idea why this might be happening?

Compile problem.PNG

Cheers!

15. Stridemann

Stridemann

I'm heard about this problem, but I was never get it. I even was unlucky to reproduce it.
    I think I can fix it but I need a script with this problem.

16. daville

daville

Bassically you're calling a bunch of functions inside the Case 1: right?

case 1: functionA(); functionB(); functionC();

and it suddently stops at B?

Very early on, I had a similar problem, but it was with the Parser, when I used some C# features not available at the time in Nottorus, then the compiling didn't gave any error, but just stop there and generated the code until that point.

I don't know if is something similar, perhaps in your second function, theres some weird logic that Nottorus has a problem with.

17. Stridemann

Stridemann

Nottorus can't compile a script missing some function and that is strange. He stop the compiling if some error is occured, but can't just skip it.
    If I understand correctly- nottorus didn't compile that function if it wasn't opened.
    Is this bug is regular or sometimes?

18. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

I'll try recreate it on video and put it on YouTube for you.
    I'm happy to give you the Nottorus script if it will help.

19. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Stridemann, I sent you an email with the YouTube link and the script.
    Let me know if you need anything else.

I hope you can fix this. It's been happening for most of this project.
    The first time it happened it took me a while to work out what was going wrong!
    I got used to it but it's not a good problem to have!

This is still v1.15 of Nottorus but it's been happening for many previous versions too.

Cheers, Phil.

20. Stridemann

Stridemann

You said:
    but it doesn't compile only Switch node in Update function.

Thanks for information you give me. I just reproduced it. Working on...

daville likes this.
  21. Stridemann

Stridemann

UPD: Fixed. Update 1.17 is released (waiting for approvement).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    MrMetwurst2 and daville like this.
  22. daville

daville

Hi :)

Sorry I spammed your forums on the Suggestions board... I added a couple threads each with a different suggestion for Nottorus.

23. Stridemann

Stridemann

Hi, thanks) Most of them was implemented, for the other- I need more time to think out them.

24. daville

daville

Nice :D Thanks.

25. daville

daville

:D Thanks

MrMetwurst2 likes this.
  26. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

daville likes this.
  27. Stridemann

Stridemann

Ok guys, there was a bug in debug mode. The debug values was drawn from OUT pin to other IN pins (and this value was the same), which is not correct and can confuse users in some sequences.

I fix this and for now the debug values is correct, also they no more be displayed for OUTpin, only for IN pin.
    Examples:
    Old (current, wrong):

Fixed:

Not the best example, but I'm sure/hope it works correct for now.

NOTE! You should recompile your scripts (after update 1.19) which was compiled in debug mode, otherwice you don't see the debug values.

I'm gona make an update soon.

Also I add posibility to change the Type of pin for Object pin Type (like in math node):

PS. I hope I don't broke anything else)
    Update pushed.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    daville and MrMetwurst2 like this.
  28. Stridemann

Stridemann

Assetstore upcoming sale (April 17 to April 30)
    Nottorus discount percentage: 30%

Cheers :)

daville likes this.
  29. daville

daville

30. 3dAok

3dAok

Can this be used to play different movies from the new 5.6 built in video player, based on mousing over a trigger?

31. daville

daville

Yes you can

Stridemann likes this.
  32. 3dAok

3dAok

Cool! Thanks so much for the quick reply and great video. Much appreciated.

daville likes this.
  33. Stridemann

Stridemann

Started today and I have no idea how long it will last..
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/59656
    Anyway I glad that I found the way to start a discount sale on assetstore :)

daville likes this.
  34. daville

daville

35. gyltefors

gyltefors

This asset looks interesting, but reading the reviews and this thread, there are many people showing concern about the DRM, and all DRM related questions seem to be (intentionally?) ignored. Nothing is mentioned in the asset description either. Could someone explain exactly how this DRM works? Would a broken network stop all production? How many computers can it be installed on (personally, I work on four computers, but two would be a minimum)?

36. Stridemann

Stridemann

Only starting initialisation (entering licence information(invoice)), after that you can forget about DRM.

Nottorus can still fully work without connection about 2-3 days (after succesfull connection to licence server).

I think there is no any problems in your case.
    In any case almost all assets on assetstore works under "one license per seat", but that goes down in team projects, where asset in project is shared between couple of users.

Cheers.

37. gyltefors

gyltefors

Thank you for you response. I work at mainly two different locations, often daytime at one location and nighttime at another location. When I switch locations, would I need to re-enter invoice info etc. each time, or is that transparent? If you would be forced to abandon support of Nottoris for any reason, and the license server is taken down, what happen to all existing projects that rely on Nottorus? Would we have to continue development/maintenance using the generated code?

38. Stridemann

Stridemann

As I said, only once (on each computer). Also updating unity/creating a new project (and importing nottorus) will not ask the invoice again.

In that case I will disable DRM and publish the last Nottorus update with source code. But I will supporting nottorus at least 1 more year, so that will be not soon.

Cheers.

MrMetwurst2 likes this.
  39. namdo

namdo

Hi, I'm really interested in this asset as it looks amazing. I need to know, what is your return policy? $250 is a lot of money.

40. AGregori

AGregori

But I will supporting nottorus at least 1 more year

Umm, why just 1 more year?

41. Rixtter

Rixtter

Maybe you should reconsider the 30% sale. Honestly, you need to think 70% sale if u want some numbers. I seen the sale, considered it very briefly... and then saw Nodus get released... bye...

42. Stridemann

Stridemann

So far no one has complained about it)

And how much you need?)
    As I said 1 year ago I will support it at least 2-3 years. But that doesn't mean that I drop it immediately after 2 years) Everything still goes fine, so no reason to worry about.

I was choosing maximum discount option that was suggested by Asset Store (10%/15%/30%).

daville likes this.
  43. Rixtter

Rixtter

44. namdo

namdo

Ok... Can you please be more clear?

45. daville

daville

I think the guaranteed 1-2 years of support shouldn't be seen as a negative, but a possitive...

I have about 44 Deprecated Assets that I bought without knowing how long they would last, and those are the ones marked as deprecated, I have many others that haven't been updated in years (some of them still work fine).

So knowing this will be supported for 1-2 years is a great relief.

Also one thing worth mention the way Nottorus works is very robust and is getting to a point were it doesn't really need much maintenance, since what it does at the end is basically write text for you, it doesn't really get affected by most of the changes Unity does to their API... you could say that it's already prepared to handle that.

It's also very stable, I've been using it for a year now and I haven't had any problem with the constant Unity Updates.

Something to consider about Nottorus VS other alternatives, is that Nottorus is not "it's own visual programming language", it uses the C# structure, so basically is "C# with nodes", this is very powerful, since it is by default already compatible with anything that uses C# (perhaps it will need a little update when Unity implements C# 6, that's supposedly comming in 2017), you could say that Nottorus internally is similar to wordpad or visualstudio or monodevelop, it "just writes text for you", that's way different to what others do, were each node has it's own logic that has to be processed in runtime...

I would think that even if Nottorus support would drop today, the plug in feels prepared to last for years, unless unity suddenly decides to change everything about how their own editor UI works (which would break every unity plugin out there) Nottorus will just work.

I own almost every visual scripting out there for unity (you would surely find my review on at least the most popular ones), I haven't checked that new one yet, I will eventually check it out... but so far all my bets are for Nottorus... I know the price is not a trivial thing, but I was an early adopter I got it just after the very first price drop and it was a huge price drop of $100 (it originally had a price of $350) and paid full price of $250 I honestly say if I knew back then how good this asset was, I would have got it for $350, I regret nothing... but I can only speak for myself.

About the DRM thing, you just write your invoce once and it doesn't bother you again, it just works... I've never had any problem with it, it's not common for Unity Assets to have their own DRM, but this is not my first asset to have it (Console Enhaced Pro also has it and I use it in every project), for me is not an issue and I don't think it should be, since as all Unity extensions the license is per seat, but for others is more of a trust thing.

Rixtter and Stridemann like this.
  46. Stridemann

Stridemann

I mean If you do not like it- it's not a problem to make a refund (if you asking about this).

Rixtter likes this.
  47. Rixtter

Rixtter

As always, well said daville. @Stridemann That is an excellent commitment, kudos.

If you can afford Nottorus, you should. I have zero doubt devs will find it a small investment, all things considered. It is the completely polished article.

Good luck all, will be interesting to see how each tool develops. I'll finally shut up from this thread now.

I hope you each prosper...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    daville likes this.
  48. ocimpean

ocimpean

1) I see this is part of the 30% sale and I'm thinking that now would be the right moment to buy, but I'm undecided. As I am looking at this tool from the artist point of view, I wonder how hard it would be to learn, or even if I will be capable to do so.
    I'm concerned by the fact that I do not se real life tutorials, small game projects available for download to be dissected, just bits of actions videos here and there, turning a cube comes to mind.

2) Regarding installation, is it possible to install on a desktop and a laptop?

3) Also, I would like to hear a good reason why DRM check interval can not be extended for at least a week without contacting the mothership?

Thank you.

49. namdo

namdo

Alright then. I will be purchasing this soon. Thanks. I really love the ability to convert to scripts.

50. daville

daville

I'll leave questions 2) and 3) for the Developer... But I can Answer number 1) :

I'm already making tutorials, I have about 10 recorded already (that I haven't uploaded yet), And I plan to make a lot of them using Nottorus... I could Upload them fast if I don't speak, but English is not my first language so I speak very bad, and I have to record the audio many times because my pronunciation sucks... so that makes it slower to upload tutorials.

But I could make them very fast if I don't talk, but most people have told me that Tutorials without voice are boring.

So from my side, I'll commit to upload many tutorials for different levels from begginers to Advanced.... Just I'm slow because of the speaking part.

About being easy for Artist, it depends... but in general, I think Using Nottorus could be a little bit intimidating comparing to other visual scripting tools, because this the closer you will get to actually coding but using nodes.

That has it's advantages and disadvantages, depending on how you look at it.

- Nottorus is Not a "Game Wizard Tool", were you pretty much just choose from a list of premade stuff and hit Next, Next, Next, Done... it requires more programming skills than other automatic solutions, In nottorus you won't find nodes with pre made actions... like "Turning On a Light" or things like that.. So that could alienate some people, but I don't see that as a weakness.

- Nottorus IS just C# programming with nodes instead of text... what it means is you have All the power and freedom any programmer would have using C#.... other solutions will get to a point where you can't keep using the nodes because you will want to do more advanced stuff, and you will have to switch everything to actual code.... that pretty much won't happen with nottorus, as your skills grow, you'll just take more advantage out of it...

How Nottorus could help you as an Artist programming is:

- You Don't have to worry about spelling and syntaxt errors.
    - You Don't have to worry about line ends ;
    - You won't be suffering with large chains of { { { } } } or confusing parenthesis on math (((()()/()))
    - You won't have to worry about incompatible data types, well a little, but In Nottorus a Red Wire, should connect to Red Input pins.... a Yellow wire goes with Yellow pins... and so on... and sometimes it has automatic conversion for some... so you can just plug it and if it connects then you're Ok, if not then try something else.
    - You Can just focus on the Logic of your program.
    - You can have a visual debugg that's nearly impossible to have using Code.
    - You can translate any C# script you find online to Nodes, any tutorial any wiki answer, any forum help you find for Unity C# you can just Copy it and parse it to nodes, and see how it is made.
    - You'll be able to follow along any C# tutorial, because Nottorus uses C# structure, if you use other Visual Scripting tools, you will have to use their own way of thinking, and you would have to learn how to program in "X visual scripting tool".... here, anything you learn in nottorus, is similar to how any Coder would do it in C#, so if you ever want to try Text instead of Nodes, all your knowledge is already useful.... also you could just look at the generated text to learn.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017