Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Nottorus - Unlimited Visual programming plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stridemann, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Almakos

Almakos

yes I think that will definitely help apple folks =)
    thank you

2. Almakos

Almakos

I am getting this error in Unity 5.4.0f3
    Code (CSharp):
    1. get_dataPath is not allowed to be called during serialization, call it from OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'DockArea'.
    2. See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
    3. UnityEngine.Application:get_dataPath()
    4. Nottorus:.ctor()
    5. UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget(String)
    6. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadWindowLayout(String, Boolean)
    And I am not sure if this is something I've done or something on the Nottorus side.

Blank project works fine

3. Stridemann

Stridemann

That was fixed. I think you should update the plugin

Almakos likes this.
  4. Max_Dirav

Max_Dirav

Nottorus seems like powerful tool. I'm watching this.

5. samooniyakk

samooniyakk

plz make more tutorial of nottorus . i want to use it with mecanim & i have noooo idea how to that. tnx so much

Gunhi and daville like this.
  6. Gunhi

Gunhi

How does this work with UNET? any tutorial or document?

7. Stridemann

Stridemann

I was away on vacation, so for now I'm back and ready to make a new update :)

Version 1.11

Improvements:
    - Added new filtering options in "New node list" window (^_^).
    - Added a help tooltipes for "New node list" window search options.
    - Added an option for changing delete key (for MAC users).
    - Added new documentation for nodes from unity >5.4.

Fixes:
    - Fixed a bug with compiling a local variables in state machine events.
    - Fixed (prohibited) deleting entry/exit nodes in state machine events.
    - Fixed a bug with checking licence at the end of month (>_<).
    - Fixed a bug with displaying incorrect number of filtered nodes in the "New node list" window (in window label).

Parser fixes (Crtitical):
    - Fixed a bug with the parsing of a 'var' Type (defining the Type of 'var') iterator in "foreach" cycles.
    - Fixed a bug with the parsing of a 'var' Type (defining the Type of 'var') in unary cast expression ( var instance = (Gameobject)Instantiate(...) ).

Max_Dirav, Almakos, Alexarah and 2 others like this.
  8. Stridemann

Stridemann

Sure :)

1) Make a variable with type Animator
    2) If you want to assign the animator component to this variable manually (in inspector) go to step 4.
    3) In Start function get component of animator and set it to your animator variable
    4) Use your variable and control everything you want
    5) Profit. Cheers :)

Unity documentation and examples:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UNet.html -> https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-NetworkAnimator.html
    https://unity3d.com/ru/learn/tutorials/topics/multiplayer-networking

All the examples can be made with Nottorus. The scripts in examples can be parsed into the nodes. For exapmple script from this page:
    https://unity3d.com/ru/learn/tutori...ng/adding-multiplayer-shooting?playlist=29690
    parsed into:
    (I got a bug while parsing, but I fix it in 1.11)

Alexarah and daville like this.
  9. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Hey Stridemann. This code doesn't parse correctly. It gets close enough to fix but I was hoping you could make the appropriate changes needed to make it parse.
    Part of the problem in the Expand method is that there is no Bit Shift Right math function in the math node.
    I was also hoping you could add a Comments node to make notes. I've requested a couple of nodes in the nottorus.net forums that cover these.
    Thanks mate.

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class CompressPosition : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public static uint Compress(Vector3 position)
    7.     {
    8.         //x = 20 , y = 6 and z = 66 (height not important for enemy)
    9.         //give x 11 bits, y 8 bits and z 13 bits
    10.         //x = 0-2047 (factor of 102.4)
    11.         //y = 0 - 255 (factor of 42.666666)
    12.         //z = 0-8191 (factor of 124.121212)
    14.         uint compPosUINT32 = (uint)(((uint)((position.x + 10f) * 102.4f) << 21) | ((uint)(position.y * 42.666666f) << 13) | (uint)((position.z + 33f) * 124.121212f));
    15.         return compPosUINT32;
    16.     }
    18.     public static Vector3 Expand(uint compPosUINT32)
    19.     {
    20.         //        Debug.Log(transform.position);
    21.         uint zPos = compPosUINT32 & 8191;
    22.         uint yPos = (compPosUINT32 >> 13) & 255;
    23.         uint xPos = compPosUINT32 >> 21;
    24.         float zPosF = ((float)(zPos) / 124.121212f) - 33f;
    25.         float yPosF = (float)(yPos) / 42.666666f;
    26.         float xPosF = ((float)(xPos) / 102.4f) - 10f;
    27.         Vector3 retVal = new Vector3(xPosF, yPosF, zPosF);
    28.         //        Debug.Log(retVal);
    29.         return retVal;
    30.     }
    31. }

10. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hi Stridemann is there a way to add more of Unity's default assemblies to Nottorus? Basically I noticed that Nottorus only adds using UnityEngine but never adds using System, using System.Collections, or anything like that. So anyway can you help me with this or is it feature that will come in a future update?

11. Stridemann

Stridemann

They are connected, but displayed by their "system" name

For example System (or mscorlib) contains System, System.Collections and System.Collections.Generic namespaces.

Alexarah likes this.
  12. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Hey @Stridemann -

I am looking at using unity for a project of mine. This has my attention and I want to ask a few questions -

1. How well does this scale to larger projects? Such an Ultima Online shard for example of complexity.
    2. Can we import custom C# files as nodes into Nottorus? What is the setup like for custom nodes?
    3. Are there any sample "projects" or starter templates included with Nottorus?

Thank you for your time,
    HeadClot

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  13. daville

daville

Hi, I've been using this for a while now, I've been very busy so I haven't been able to make more tutorials for Nottorus but I will in the future.

I'm just a happy user but I think I can answer your questions.

First, I guess we should start by understanding what Nottorus is and what it isn't... you should not see this as "BluePrints in Unity", or should not see this as "Another way of making games in unity".... you should see this tool basically as an alternative to write stuff in MonoDevelop / Visual studio / Wordpad.

The way I describe it is, C# with nodes... is not it's own scripting language, it's C# with nodes.

You need to have an understanding of how C# works to actually be able to take advantage of Nottorus... if you can do it in C#, pretty much you can do it in Nottorus.

On it's simplest form, what Nottorus does, is simply a bunch of shortcuts to write text for you, instead of you actually typing if( X ; X ; X ){X;}else{X;} , Nottorus has a node for that, you just fill the blanks and Nottorus generates the code.

So to answer your questions:
    The same way C# is scalable to larger projects, this tool generates C# code.
    Some disadvatages could come out, depending on how you use the tool... if you want to have all 100% of your scripts made with Nottorus, you can do that, but you don't have to, you can have Some Stuff made with MonoDevelop and some with Nottorus and they can work together.

if you don't plan your Graphs, you will end up with houndreds of nodes, and that could be confusing, just as having thousands of lines of code could be confusing.

but if you manage your stuff right, you can have everything split in small understandable chunks and that will make things easier for you in larger projects, but the same applies for just code.

I Made a full game for Mobile with nottorus, but I can't release it since My Client is not paying me and I'm having some problems with that and it's a long story, but Yes, you can make a full big game with Nottorus.

- Technically you "can" but not exactly since that doesn't make much sense once you understand how nottorus works... the thing is "You don't have to import custom Nodes"... if there's a C# file in your project, Nottorus automatically is aware of it and can use all of it's public methods or variables, etc.

you can also parse C# scripts to Nodes, I only used that feature while learning but now I don't use it at all, just if I have some doubts on how to make with nodes something I know how to make with Code, I just parse it and see how it should be setup.

but if you have a C# file, you can use it with Nottorus, there's already some node generated automatically for you with what you have in your C# file.

There are a few example projects inside the Package... but technically any tutorial ever made for Unity in C#, you can follow that with Nottorus... so you're not really limited to the example projects in Nottorus.

antoripa likes this.
  14. bizilux1

bizilux1

Too bad that price is so high and there is no tutorials. I'm making a 2D game, and i'd be with unreal in a heartbeat and be using their blueprints, if only they didnt neglect 2D part of their engine for the last 1+ years...

so now im back with unity, and thinking of something more advanced than playmaker.

I've used playmaker for a long long time, and you know what its success was? Tutorials. And once player base got big enough, we/they started making their own tutorials, and helping people on forums, etc etc...

as you know playmaker never had some gimmick online checking piracy thing, it was just reasonably priced and had good enough tutorials to actually get you somewhere... thats the winning formula.
    Do people pirate it? Sure they do, but a heck of a lot more people buy it...

heck i know how it is to be a developer... and you want to set the highest price to be paid enough for all your hard work. But there is a limit to where profit drastically goes down if prices goes too high. I really strongly believe that winning formula is, lower price and more customers and they make more tutorials and help eachother, versus high price, and being a niche asset with very few people actually using it for games.

now im thinking between flowcanvas, which last time i checked had quite a bit of overhead, and that is a problem... and then on the other side is blox, which im not that much of a fan of how it looks...

So yeah undecided for now... all i know is nottorus is priced too high, and doesnt include much tutorials... as of right now i think its aimed only towards people that know how to WRITE code in C#. Why would they want to use visual scripting tool instead? sure some would, but thats small % of people.

If only you would make tutorials so that you can bring it towards people that know how to READ C# like me...

Great example of how its done. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuaBtUXEKcdLEhNpwuBnUQxfKYJHS6PcK

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Rixtter, skidewinder and daville like this.
  15. OZAV

OZAV

ok... i see where is all this going to...so...
    HEY ALL , A TIME FOR A STUPIID QUESTION, may i ?
    -Can the publisher make a video: how to (using Nottorus)
    combine 2, 3, or more C# scripts, into a single one ? Can do ?
    -And - another one - how to make a C# script to count instances
    of a desired game object, in the scene, eg. if this many - do that
    and that... So, 2 practical videos like that, than, i maybe purchase...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    daville likes this.
  16. daville

daville

The second one I'll make you a video later.

the first question.. what do you mean?
    Like taking 3 random C# scripts and combine them?.. but that doesn't implicity makes sense, the scripts need to be compatible kinda in the first place.

If you provide the 3 scripts I can make a video showing how to convert them to nodes and put them together.

17. OZAV

OZAV

...i meant - totake any 3 (shorter) C# scripts you may have over there,
    and (using Nottorus) to merge them into one single C# script.
    Nottorus can do ? ... so ... How exactly than ... the little video,
    for us, like that ... in which case, if it can - we can have a lot of use,
    of that asset, over here, as - we do a lot of merging / converting,
    for the projects we run ...

18. Stridemann

Stridemann

No cense and, really, nobody need it. Finally it will looks like 3 classes in one script, which is not applicable for monobehaviour scripts.
    But if the problem of combining 3 script really exists it's better to copy all class objects (variables, functions, etc) from two scripts in text editor to 3-d script and let Nottorus parse it. It will works if classes from that scripts is derived from same class.

antoripa likes this.
  19. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

I'm working on this tutorial and should be able to finish it tonight after work hopefully.
    I'll repost when it's up on youtube for you all.

antoripa and Alexarah like this.
  20. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    I am getting the below error when I try to tranform a script from c# to Nottorus. Can you please help me ?
    ( Unity 5.4.f1 and latest Nottorus from Asset Store )

Addon_CSP.Parser.ParseSubexpression (Int32 precBound)
    Addon_CSP.Parser.ParseExpression ()
    Addon_CSP.Parser.ParseStatement ()
    Addon_CSP.Parser.ParseBlock (Addon_CSP.BlockStatement node, Boolean isCase)
    Addon_CSP.Parser.ParseBlock (Addon_CSP.BlockStatement node)
    Addon_CSP.Parser.ParseMethod (IType type, Addon_CSP.QualifiedIdentifierExpression name)
    Addon_CSP.Parser.ParseClassMember ()
    Addon_CSP.Parser.ParseClass ()
    Addon_CSP.Parser.ParseNamespaceOrTypes ()
    Addon_CSP.Parser.ParseNamespace ()
    Addon_CSP.Parser.ParseNamespaceOrTypes ()
    Addon_CSP.Parser.Parse (Addon_CSP.Collections.TokenCollection tokens, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 strings)

21. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    is there any option to export the workflow as image ?

22. Stridemann

Stridemann

Well that error tolds nothing. I should parse that script by myself and debug the code. Can you show it or send by PM?

Screenshot of plugin window? No coz nobody ask for that. I will add this feature in the next version.

antoripa likes this.
  23. antoripa

antoripa

sure .. I will soon. Thanks a lot for your support.

24. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

G'day guys,

Here's my second Nottorus tutorial as promised.
    Took a bit longer to edit than I hoped. :) Hope it helps some of you guys.

Cheers!

Alexarah, Inspeinre, Almakos and 3 others like this.
  25. Stridemann

Stridemann

Great! Thanks :)
    Added to other tutorials.

Thing with springs is really funny :)

MrMetwurst2 likes this.
  26. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks a lot .. much appreciated ... and tool is amazing ....

27. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Hey Stridemann,

Will there be a BitShift right added to the next update please? :rolleyes:

Cheers!

[EDIT]

I just confirmed that T<UINT32>/32 is the same as >>5 so I can work around the bitshift problem.
    But I would still like it added please :D

[/EDIT]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  28. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

This is why I stick with unity over ue4. (the community and devs in it). Great job on the plug-in.

Ah when is it going on sale? Lol

Protect your asset anyway you see fit.

I plan on picking it up just waiting on more documentation.

You can make assets with this plug-in.

Cool.

29. Rixtter

Rixtter

Hey guys,

Above has been a commonly asked question, it would be appreciated if @Stridemann would kindly let us know the direction for Nottorus.

Keeping as is: for professionals, price set, no need for tutorials. Cool, but we Indie's would like to move on.
    Pricing to include Indies: Increase sales, drive tutorials, forums!!

My thoughts are that you have been noticed by companies that can offer you projects beyond what you have accomplished, but it would be nice to know the roadmap for those investing time awaiting...

Thanks,

Rix

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  30. TinyLabProd

TinyLabProd

Hi there.

When doing release builds of the game `Editor/Resources` catalog is included in the build and that is unacceptable.

You should probably use https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath.html instead.

This issue makes the plugin unusable when build sizes matter.

Also:
    * It's not 'su*ss*esfully' compiled, but 'succesfully' compiled.
    * There's no way to give pass a uint argument in debug mode to a function. An exception is thrown (probably because it tries to make it an int).
    * The whole thing freezes for quite a bit after selecting a base class for a new class definition.

Otherwise - it's quite nice.

31. daville

daville

In case the Build size and Assets included in the Resources folder is a problem, you can Always delete the whole plugin folder before building, and all the scripts should work just fine, since at the end they're just .cs scripts

then you can re import the plug in after that to keep working.

32. Stridemann

Stridemann

In the other hand I can't place this editor resources outside Assets folder coz thay should be imported and processed to unity as assets. This plugin is made on unity 5.0 and works up to 5.4 so for 5.4 unity updates my 5.0 assets to a 5.4 version.

Just temporary move the plugin resources outside Assets folder before build. The DLL files will not get to a build.

Thanks, fixed. Both.

Yes, the reflection takes some time. It process all the methods, fields, etc. hierarchically.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  33. TinyLabProd

TinyLabProd

I'm sorry, not sure I can make a sense out of it.

> Assets folder coz thay should be imported and processed to unity as assets.

You're running code in Editor folder. You can use UnityEditor namespace. There's AssetDatabase which can load assets. There's System.File as well. Why exactly do you need Resources?

> Just temporary move the plugin resources outside Assets folder before build. The DLL files will not get to a build.

You must be joking. For a plugin that costs $300 you are suggesting we write workarounds for our build system (and/or process) because you can't properly implement things?

34. TinyLabProd

TinyLabProd

I see your stance is to ignore the issue?

35. katoun

katoun

There is also the "Editor Default Resources" folder. The files inside won't be includes in the build.
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Special_Folder_Names_in_your_Assets_Folder
    Unity provides all it's needed to not use any "hacks" like deleting an editor plugin/extension before making a build.

36. Stridemann

Stridemann

Yes, thanks. I saw that.
    I move Resources to "Assets\Editor Default Resources", made some fixes in code (EditorGUIUtility.Load). Plugin works, and editor resources don't get to the build. Seems problem is solved..

BUT. I can't publish two folders in Asset Store tools
    "Assets\Editor Default Resources"
    and
    "Assets\Nottorus"
    I can select only one:
    "Select main assets" doesn't hepls, thats selection of assets for preview.

Also I can't move "Editor Default Resources" to Nottorus folder, it will not work.

Any ideas?

I think the only way is to moving "Assets\Nottorus\Editor\Resources" to "Assets\Editor Default Resources" manually.
    I'll make a check for this folders in code.

If everybody satisfied by this solution - I get to make an update.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  37. TinyLabProd

TinyLabProd

Can you tell me why can't you use AssetDatabase instead of "Editor Default Resources" (which is a legacy hack in unity as well)?

38. Stridemann

Stridemann

Can you tell me how it helps?
    There is no sence which method is used for loading textures, the problem is where is all of them is located.

>>"Editor Default Resources"
    Only in this folder they will not pass to the build.

Also my method will works if smb decided to move "Assets\Nottorus", for example, to "Assets\ProjectPlugins\Nottorus", but your will not works due to exact path's.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  39. katoun

katoun

Oh, I have never used the Asset Store tools before.
    Well, then you could make a folder named "Editor Resources" inside "Assets\Nottorus" and retrive the resources using AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath("Assets/Nottorus/Editor Resources/<resource_name>"), but be carefoule that none of those resources be referenced in any prefab or scene provided by your plugin.

40. Stridemann

Stridemann

"Editor Resources" ? Omg, it works. Undocumented feature? I don't see it before.
    Great, now I can make it using AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath.
    Thanks.

UPD. Also I made a folder check if somebody wants to move Nottorus to some custom folder.

41. katoun

katoun

"Editor Resources" is just something I "invented", it's not a reserved folder name. You could have put any other name.
    The idea is that Unity does not include any asset in the build if is not referenced in the build scenes, except being the "Resources" folder.

42. Stridemann

Stridemann

Yes, I just got it while testing.. Also logically it's true. I have no idea why I don't get it erlier.. :oops:

UPD. Version 1.12 released. Waiting for approvement.

Alexarah and katoun like this.
  43. URAwesome

URAwesome

Hi all,

Does Nottorus have a 'save graph screenshot' function? or 'favorites' nodes panel?Thank you.

44. Stridemann

Stridemann

Hi
    No, but can be added.

Yes.

45. URAwesome

URAwesome

Thank you for the quick reply Stridemann.

I'm preparing for a personal challenge of learning Unity C# in 3 months by using online tutorials, visual scripting languages and information/data visualisation software. I would like to use Nottorus to learn c# flow and later rewrite and extend my own app. I'm planning to do regular blog post and tutorials for beginners like myself.

In my research into visual languages I came across 'Drakon' language used in flight control systems, law and medicine which has some code generation capability. Even without code it's been very helpful in learning to organise the details of my project and while seeing the big picture. I'm also used to the way Houdini animation software resents information flow, top down.

Visual Design Question:

In the future would it be possible to perhaps create an additional way of presenting and visually connecting Nottorus nodes - essentially realigning the Lego blocks so that the information flows form top to bottom rather the left to right? Some kind of dynamic geometry/responsive nodes? Skinnable nodes with icons etc?

It's just that, although visual languages are great, as complexity grows so does the amount of intersecting lines/shapes/colours which can lead to loss of clarity.

Thank you
    M

46. Stridemann

Stridemann

Lego, top to botton, no lines? Possible you looking for a Blockly, or scratch for children.

47. jeffkenz

jeffkenz

@Stridemann do you support behaviour designer & dotwenn in Nottorus?

48. Stridemann

Stridemann

Nottorus support any C# or dll assets.

Alexarah likes this.
  49. jeffkenz

jeffkenz

@Stridemann
    after read some past post i understand the workflow & any plugin can intergrated.
    so i purchased this awesome tools

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    daville and MrMetwurst2 like this.
  50. somosky

somosky

So I'm just discovering this asset. Seems pretty great. I've been using Playmaker for the past 2 years and have been wanting to learn how to translate logic to C# code and this seems perfect for that.

One question I have is I'm developing a Oculus Touch game and there are restrictions on Playmaker for the Touch Controllers. Is this asset compatible with the OVRInput which is associated with the Touch controllers. I haven't had time to watch the tutorials yet so this may be covered in them.