Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Nottorus - Unlimited Visual programming plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stridemann, Apr 4, 2016.

1. URAwesome

URAwesome

Nodetastic! ladies and gentlemen! :)

With such amazing new visual scripting tools we are finally emerging out of the digital stone age! I journeyed far and wide in the last few years and battled many a spaghetti dragon with Scratch > Little Big Planet > PlayMaker > uScript > can't wait to start using Nottorus and learning the almighty SharpSee!

I also want to make a case for integrating a certain crystal clear Jedi level despagetification tool of awesomeness into Nottorus! This ridiculously amazing tool which I recently found shall remain nameless for now, but it is one which I feel you will all enjoy knowing about!

For such future brain cleansing feat I'll transcribe some cool and practical logical networks in several visual languages and present them to you - awesome people - and this will indubitably happen, when indie engine number 2 is no longer on fire! ;)

I'm a couple of days away from submitting my first character art and animation app to the appstore. It was mainly created with uScript over the last 3 years - those guys are Awesome!

May the Node Force be with you! Yeah, now it's a thing!
    p.s ... Nottorous Scripting in VR anyone? :)
    ...check out Dreams for PS4

Mark - designer
    posetasticapp.com

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

awesome feature!!!

3. koblavi

koblavi

Pretty neat feature.
    Only one addition I'd like to see would be Keyboard shortcuts for quick formatting so we don't always have to pop up the dialog every time we want to format

zenGarden and daville like this.
  4. th3flyboy

th3flyboy

I love it, but there is one thing I wish it did support, in-game editing. With VR coming, let alone in general, it would be useful for user generated content situations to be able to use nottorus in game to create scripts.

5. Stridemann

Stridemann

Yes

6. Rixtter

Rixtter

Edit

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  7. stormwiz

stormwiz

Hi Stridemann,

Are planning to do any tutorials anytime soon?
    Anyone buying this plugin would probably spend all day for weeks trying to put something simple.
    We need proper tutorials showing typical workflow. This tool is aim at programmers, but if you can program why spend all this time trying to figure out the tool. No tutorials makes it hard to decide if is worth the gamble. Time is money and personally I don't gamble wasting time. Show us a couple of simple game tutorials, you don't even need to talk.

daville likes this.
  8. unitywlp

unitywlp

voidUpdate(){
    if(GetComponent<Animation>())
    GetComponent<Animation>().cullingType=AnimationCullingType.AlwaysAnimate;
    }

i am getting error when i parse this

9. Stridemann

Stridemann

All video tutorials pinned to the first post in this thread. Also check the documentation with examples.

There was a problem with parsing inherited mehtods, like a GetComponent, but it already fixed (will be available in new update soon).

10. daville

daville

I will be helping soon with more tutorials also... But I'm currently about to launch a game to Steam in a couple days and I've been very busy lately.

11. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Sorry been a bit quiet lately.
    My Windows 10 install totally crapped itself so I'm giving Ubuntu Studio 16.04 a go.
    Been a learning curve but most things are working OK including Unity's Linux Release and Nottorus!! Yay :)

Attached Files:

Rixtter and Stridemann like this.
  12. Jaxom

Jaxom

Looking into buying this plugin as I do much better with visualising. Only question I have is before I spend $250, witch is fair for what I see you get. what is your long term support plan for this product? More direct would be do you have a current minimum support time frame? one year or more?

13. Stridemann

Stridemann

14. Jaxom

Jaxom

Thank you. and sorry I did not go through all of the posts.

15. unitywlp

unitywlp

unable to parse if script have
    #ifUNITY_EDITOR

16. koblavi

koblavi

I think you left out a space
    #if UNITY_EDITOR
    ... some code
    #endif

17. HJPL

HJPL

DrawGUITexture: texture is null errors

Window is grey and every interaction causes "DrawGUITexture: texture is null" errors.
    This started only after updating from 1.5 to 1.6. So far I've tried the following:

1. Removed and reinstalled
    2. Deleted Library folder
    3. Full unity reinstall

Nothing worked. And tried sending a bug report and that failed too.

My system info is:
    OS: Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit; Device Type: Desktop; Device Model: MS-7885 (MSI); CPU Type: Intel Core i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz; CPU Count: 12; Unity Version: 5.3.5f1; System Language: English; Device Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980; Device Vendor: NVIDIA; Device Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]; Max Tex Size: 16384; NPOT Support: Full;

Screenshot:

18. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Make sure you remove the Nottorus folder outside of the Assets folder. This should be in the same parent as the Library folder. It contains the Autosaves folder and the NottorusOptions.ini file. Screenshot_2016-06-01_19-42-32.png

19. HJPL

HJPL

Thanks for the suggesting that, but it didn't help by removing it. :(

Because some of the window still works I tried opening an example file and got a more descriptive error:
    ------------------
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Nottorus.Draw_BGGrid ()
    Nottorus.WindowEditGraph ()
    Nottorus.OnGui ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildsave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    ------------------

Hopefully that's right because after opening the example the nottorus window won't close and I couldn't copy anything in the console window.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  20. Stridemann

Stridemann

@HJPL I just test the upgrading from 1.5 to 1.6 and I don't have any issues..
    I think the problem is in loading the plugin resources from the folder "C:\.....\Assets\Nottorus\Editor\Resources\Skins\DefaultSkin" Do you have that directory?
    Try to move the Resources folder "Assets\Nottorus\Editor\Resources" to the "Assets\Nottorus\Plugins".

Also check the selected skin in plugin options.

If you send me the editor log I think it will help too. (restart the unity, open the editor and send the log)

21. Rixtter

Rixtter

On a side note: just wanted to say thanks MrMetwurst2.

I was having Windoze problems with Unity glitches, Unity reinstalls didn't help. I saw your post, installed Ubuntu and I've never been happier with the Unity setup :) Much nicer implementation out of the box.

I've also posted a request on the Linux thread to have the ability to detach tabs and move them to workspaces. Would be an absolute treat to have a tab maximised in a workspace for quick switching to edit graphs :cool:

22. HJPL

HJPL

I got it working! Had to remove Nottorus, restart Unity and close the bad window that failed to load, then restart Unity again, redownload the plugin and install it. Everything seems to working now.

MrMetwurst2 likes this.
  23. detomato

detomato

I'm feeling like an idiot now. Coming from uScript and Playmaker, everything is spoonfed.
    Can any good Samaritan show me a simple graph of toggling (activate/deactivate) a game object?

edit: is it normal to have duplicate nodes? such as mouseDown and MouseDown? Which one to use? And sometimes the node list doesnt refresh? For instance, the list for UnityEngine is totally gone, need to reload the scene or restart unity before it reappear again.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  24. daville

daville

upload_2016-6-3_21-39-27.png

25. Rixtter

Rixtter

26. unitywlp

unitywlp

next update seems bit long any reasons ?

27. Stridemann

Stridemann

Sorry I was busy this days (game release), but for now I'm ready to make a new update and I just waiting for my beta testers has finished testing it.

Not so much changes, but I think they are 'critical'.. and also a lot of annoying bugs fixed :)
    Fixes:
    - Rename field: the text is not selected after entering to the 'rename mode'.
    - Clicking in the details window cause inconsistent selecting the underlying script objects (functions, etc.) from the toolbar.
    - Inconsistent opening the "nottorus right mouse menu" while right-clicking on the text (copy/cut/paste).
    - Fixed the bug that couse node dragging on try to select the text in node pin.
    - Nodes list window: fixed the bug which open all nodes groups (from previous search) after opening the window.

Improvements:
    - Debug time machine: displaying frame number.
    - "Print to console" node: added the "Add pin" button.

Parser fixes:
    - Fixed the bug with incorrect selecting the node arguments of inherited function.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    RD likes this.
  28. RD

RD

Having the frame number associated with the debug values is a HUGE help! Thanks for adding this!

29. Stridemann

Stridemann

Yes, and each frame always contains multiple "pin data's", and we can say that each "data" its a each line of code each used value. So I add a counter for "data's" too:

And I'm still working on correct highliting the connector and pin links..

MrMetwurst2, RD and daville like this.
  30. daville

daville

Sure no problem, Also I saw your other example on the Blox forum and I will post it to make a side by side fair comparison.

Firts the generated code from my previous example is:

Code (csharp):
    2. //MD5Hash:9e6ddc8dc72dd83c61006a4b44437297;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using System;
    7. public class SimpleToggle : UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     public UnityEngine.GameObject gameObjectToToggle = null;
    12.     void Start()
    13.     {
    14.     }
    15.     void Update()
    16.     {
    17.         if (UnityEngine.Input.GetKeyDown(UnityEngine.KeyCode.Space))
    18.         {
    19.             gameObjectToToggle.active = !(gameObjectToToggle.activeSelf);
    20.         }
    22.     }
    23. }
    and the other example in Blox forum (wich by the way I also own blox and plyGame ;) ) would be this:

upload_2016-6-5_15-55-44.png

and the generated code is this:

Code (csharp):
    2. //MD5Hash:9dda5ac3655330dc4f0a8ffaac5835e2;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using System;
    7. public class OtherToggle : UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    11.     void Start()
    12.     {
    13.     }
    14.     void Update()
    15.     {
    16.         if (gameObject.activeSelf)
    17.         {
    18.             gameObject.SetActive(false);
    19.         }
    20.         else
    21.         {
    22.             gameObject.SetActive(true);
    23.         }
    25.     }
    26. }

Rixtter, SteveB and Stridemann like this.
  31. Rixtter

Rixtter

@Stridemann A game for fun, or one that is released and we could maybe see a link to? Nice place to showcase it :)

32. newrichardirvine

newrichardirvine

Rixly239 (Richard Irvine) How you live yourself?

You steal stridemann asset on net and post in the forum about it.

This is your post from there (the website many know) - your username - Rixter757 (same name in flowcanvas too) - "Lol, yeah that is my old poker name, musta been drunk when I registered" and then you saying - "Anyone with 1.04 try parsing a script? I'm getting "The selected file for parsing must be inside the project!". I tried with an existing project, then created a new project... same thing. Is it just me or has the developer came up with something clever to stop us?"

Then you say - "I actually think Nottorus is overrated. I converted some of my code to nodes. Huuuuuuge graph for about 20 lines of code. Yikes. 250Euro?"

You use this asset but no pay say bad things and then come here to ask questions and get answers free too.

People you like are reason developer have to close assets like Uscript. Soon stridemann too have to close asset as he cannot get money for people share free. I feel poor for daville as he help without any restrictions, that is what a good person is not you. My english not good but i try to say that people respect hard work and not use free. I think many here not pay and ask questions :(.

daville and Yukichu like this.
  33. unitywlp

unitywlp

i would recommend paying some one to make tutorials for you.
    1k usd should be enough for a person to make 6 hour long tutorials.

without tutorials it will not get enough sales that it can achieve even with good support.
    most people in unity was either who have no idea of programming or programmers who have experience with other ide.

your tool was for people who have basic idea of programming.

without a basic idea people cannot make any progress from it.

Rixtter likes this.
  34. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Hey Stridemann, are we getting the Auto Arrange features with this update?

35. Stridemann

Stridemann

I think this problem will be solved in the next update 1.07 which has security system (if assetstore administration approve it). :rolleyes: If not- the next version will have a "cloud compilation" :). So the "test time" is over.

I can only say that this is a big MMO game.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    MrMetwurst2, rahuxx and Rixtter like this.
  36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Cleared some nonsense up. Have respect for an author and his thread. Oh yeah this site has a policy: pirates are banned with no access to their accounts. So don't do it.

Born-FoR-deatH and rahuxx like this.
  37. RD

RD

EDIT: 9/12/17
    Nottorus no longer has copy protection or "cloud compilation". I'm clearing out my copy protection posts because they no longer apply to Nottorus. Thank you Stridermann for making Nottorus hassle free to use.

Original Post of 6/7/16
    I did not know Nottorus was in a "test time". What changes will happen with the next update, now that "test time" is over? How will "cloud compilation" not affect paying customer's security or reliability? How will Nottorus NOT break when I'm behind a customer's firewall? Will customer intellectual property ever be exposed or transmitted for "cloud compilation"? What service level agreement standards will your "cloud compilation" follow to guarantee 24/7 availability? What will stop thieves from doing distributed denial of service attacks on your "cloud compilation" servers to shutdown paying customers or drive your bandwidth costs through the roof?

I've never worked with a company that stole software or tolerated employees stealing software. There's too much legal risk of getting caught or reported by an angry employee. Few PROFESSIONALS can afford to steal tools.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    elbows likes this.
  38. elbows

elbows

Personally I would recommend that assets dont engage in mechanisms that can backfire and inconvenience legit customers.

However asset store devs should not expect to have to give free support to cheeky people that dont pay. This is why some asset store providers run a seperate support system, and in order to sign up to that system customers need to provide their invoice number.

39. Stridemann

Stridemann

This system is invisible for a customers. You enter the code for the first launch and you will never see the activation window.

So you are offering to do nothing? Allow the pirates to have a latest version of plugin as a license users have it?
    Pirates can try (test) the older versions, but its shoul'd be constantly..

40. elbows

elbows

Do what you want, but you seriously need to answer the concerns of a user like RD in a more substantial way than you have so far.

I've given my opinion and have nothing else to say, except that I am old enough to remember the Lenslok, which was an early example of annoying legitimate users and not really preventing pirates.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Lenslok

41. RD

RD

Nottorus no longer has copy protection or "cloud compilation". I'm clearing out my copy protection posts because they no longer apply to Nottorus. Thank you Stridermann for making Nottorus hassle free to use.

42. Stridemann

Stridemann

@RD The security checks and affect changes only on NottorusOptions.ini file. It was not a problem for you, right?)

Just the invoice number that you set in the plugin.

United Kingdom

Just one request for getting the temporary license which allows to work in plugin until next check. It was tested on different computers in different time zones and works fine.

@RD You don't need to worry about if you have a license.

43. RD

RD

zenGarden likes this.
  44. zenGarden

zenGarden

I didn't know the plugin was so restricting to use, this should be put on the Asset Store as a note the plugin uses heavy verifications and needs internet connection.
    This is misinformation not telling it in the Asset Store before anyone purchase the plugin.

45. rahuxx

rahuxx

Hey All. Please understand his concern on security. Don't you people want him to continue development? If this thing is used by pirates free of cost how will he keep building it stronger. he need good sale. Let him implement things right all issue will be solved once you tell him. he is ready to help why can't you people help him?

iamsam likes this.
  46. zenGarden

zenGarden

U script Pro didn't have such DRM sort of, all plugins i buy have no DRM i can work without any connection and staying offline as much as i want. Anyway he should put a note on the Asset Store before people buy.
    For me this means simply a no go. i don't want DRM with plugins.

47. willrsnds

willrsnds

I don't think anyone here wants to see this developer or asset fail. Just the opposite. He does have a right to protect his work, but as a potential new customer, there are valid concerns by customers that he must address. As many have stated, network licensing mechanisms are used by many large companies (Adobe, Autodesk, etc.) but they also have methods in place to ensure availability to the software in case of network communication issues (grace periods for example).

If I buy this asset, and there is a one-time activation that is good for the life of the product, then it might not be so bad. If there is ongoing validation, the developer must meation what happens if those validations fail. This is where game companies small and large will (and can) have major issues. What if I want to run an older version? Rebuild my computer? Work offline for a period of time? Most reputable companies will buy the software and abide by legal and copyright rules for anything they purchase. More then likely, those who pirate (which I do not condone) will either not use it in a professional manner, or may face large legal issues if they do. Yes, protect the asset, but not at the expense of customer satisfaction, availability, and transparency on what is going on. I have seen too many great programs fail because of one simple error, "Customers must come first".

48. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Wow you guys are unbelievable! Give Stridemann a break man.
    Uscript gets around the issue by using a runtime dll. If you use the free version you get a watermark. Stridemann can't do that because his plugin creates pure c# code. That's what makes it so awesome!
    I say bring on the protection. I can't believe people using the pirated version have the nerve to ask for help on here.

49. iamsam

iamsam

I agree that developer should protect his asset and it should be in a way that helps both him and customer. I wish Unity had a universal mechanism in place to protect its sellers but since its not there I am glad @Stridemann is doing something about it. The case with UScript showcases the problem today, even though they have a free version people still want to pirate the full version for free in name of testing.

@Stridemann my only concern is the number of PCs it will allow the user to register the license. I work on the same project on multiple systems, is it designed to handle such cases?

50. SteveB

SteveB

Agreed, this whole thing got obnoxious very quick...

daville likes this.