Search Unity

[RELEASED] Not Entirely Unconvincing Planets - A Random Planet Generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Eraph, May 5, 2017.

1. Eraph

Eraph

Howdy folks, I've just had my first Asset Store title released in the form of Not Entirely Unconvincing Planets.

With this Asset you can easily build and customise planets that don't look wholly terrible. There are tons of options to muck about with as well as having an extensive (and extensively documented) API, so you're free to tinker from code as well. Try the random surface colours, hours of fun.

Please use this thread for support, and to ask any questions or discuss the package. All feedback will be taken into consideration for future work I do on this bad boy.

Links:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    punk and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. boysenberry

boysenberry

3. Eraph

Eraph

I don't see why not, you could probably feed the texture from the SurfaceBuilder component straight into the texture2D property. Don't forget to cast it as Texture2D:

Code (CSharp):
    1. hexasphereComponent.ApplyHeightMap(neupComponent.SurfaceHeightTexture as Texture2D, neupComponent.SeaLevel, neupComponent.LandGradient);
    I don't know how they turn a grid into a hex map but I am keen to see if this works. Check out the API documentation as well if you get stuck!

Otherwise just let us know if you need any more help.

boysenberry likes this.
  4. boysenberry

boysenberry

Awesome! I am getting Not Entirely Unconvincing Planets now; love the name, btw, hehe.

5. Eraph

Eraph

Thanks! I hope you will share your results here.

6. boysenberry

boysenberry

Hey there, was wondering is there any easy way to know when the GradientBuilder.ApplyGradients is done?

7. Eraph

Eraph

It's a synchronous method and it's practically instant, so it'll just go to the next line of code when it's done.

boysenberry likes this.
  8. boysenberry

boysenberry

I just realized that, thanks for the quick response. I am nearly done with the initialization of my map. Once I am done with the builder and the randomizer I'll try my hands at making a video of it in operation (haven't created one yet, so there is a learning curve I am sure). Once I am finished with this step, adding the gradient I'll send a screenshot this way.

Eraph likes this.
  9. boysenberry

boysenberry

So, I finally got to a point where I could put together a demo of how I am using NEUP.
    I am using it with Hexasphere to create a global map of biomes for the game I am making 'Eternal Life: Ascension'.

10. Eraph

Eraph

Dude, this is awesome! Really amazed to see this being put to such good use!

boysenberry likes this.
  11. boysenberry

boysenberry

It would have taken me a lot longer and dealing unsure outcomes for me to do it. I wasn't even familiar with the noise lib until your link educated me. So, thank you, for helping me realize my video game dreams! :)
    I'm planning on putting my asset use into the credits as well; so, hopefully it will generate some business for you.

12. Eraph

Eraph

boysenberry likes this.
  13. joshua_42

joshua_42

Looks like this could be just what I need. Could I use the same generated textures in a terrain generation tool I have? It takes normal maps etc and creates geometry with them.

14. Eraph

Eraph

15. joshua_42

joshua_42

16. HumanUnit101

HumanUnit101

Sorry for stealing your thunder with my hacky triplanar shader. I think you could seriously improve the looks by generating another texture on top of the heightmap, use the same gradient coloring for it, and blend it with primary, using Overlay or something. I'm telling you, i got so hard when i did that, the dark souls boss music started playing.

17. Eraph

Eraph

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give it a go sometime.