Search Unity

[RELEASED] No Touch GUI for VR - Add interaction to your VR projects w/o a controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by seansteezy, Jan 6, 2015.

1. seansteezy

seansteezy

NoTOuchGUIScreenshot.png
    NOW AVAILABLE!
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/26494

Purpose:

To allow users to interact with your VR projects without the need for an external controller. Also works great in regular 3D space.

How It Works:
    The crosshair (with the zapper script attached) does a raycast in the direction you’re looking and detects any object with a physics collider tagged “NoTouchButton”, so anything you put in the crosshairs, your users can interact with. This system sets up a series of visual cues for interaction using bar and radial timers. You can customize the time to activate/deactivate and cool down periods as well as call functions on game objects during activation and deactivation phases, using the SendMessage function. I tried to make it modular and easy to use so you can just drop the script or prefabs on your object and it works with minimal setup.

Why:
    I developed this system for VR games that require a controller so those people who don’t have a controller can still get around and interact with your project. It’s not great for high twitch gaming but would work nicely for casual games were the player works at their own pace and it would be great for targeting objects for turret/shooter games. I have included some uses for these in the demo scenes.

Development:
    Currently this is a quick mockup of the general idea that I originally indented to use as an autowalk toggle, it was made just for buttons but I am working on integrating it with uGUI and adding in other options besides timer bars to indicate wait times, expanding panels with multiple options, and other cool features for a total “no click” gui experience.

How to Use (Simple):
    1. Add your crosshair sprite inside of your camera group (for VR using 2 cameras).
    2. Attach the Zapper script to it. This sends out the raycast that the buttons will receive.
    3. Drag the DemoButton prefab to your scene wherever you want it.
    4. Make sure to create a new tag called “NoTouchButton” and assign it to the DemoButton.
    5. Adjust parameters of the ZapperAction script on your DemoButton to your liking.
    6. Add code to your scripts to control objects… see demo for examples
    Known Issues & Tips:
    • This system is based on Sprites, and therefore doesn’t use any uGUI or onGUI stuff, that way you can set depth and registration points, as well as colors at runtime
    • Any object you want to interact with, the parent object and/or the object with the zapper action script on it need to have a physics collider attached to catch the raycast
    • If using a timer, you need to make a parent object called HorizontalFillBar, VerticalFillBar, and CircularFill and it HAS to have an object called “fill” as a child. That fill is either a bar or the radial fill.
    • The crosshairs need to be within the capsule collider for the character controller or it will get clipped near walls, you can scale it down but place it right in front of the camera
    • Make sure to add the “NoTouchButton” tag to your scene and any objects you want to interact with, the Zapper script will only respond to that tag, consequentially, you can turn objects on and off by changing their tag
    • The camera hierarchy should be setup like so: Player -> CameraGroup -> Camera + Crosshair where the Player has the movement scripts and the camera group has the mouse look or VR scripts, and the crosshairs have the zapper script attached, inside the CameraGroup with the camera. If using the Durovis Dive plugin, the Camera Group would be the DiveCamera prefab. See images below.
    • This was made to be used for VR with the Durovis Dive plugin, and works great with it, but will also work in regular 3d and 2d, and should work fine with other VR solutions (such as Oculus)

IT IS NOW AVAILABLE ON THE ASSET STORE!

2. seansteezy

seansteezy

Any questions, hit me up!

3. taratatzoum

taratatzoum

Hello
    It is not functioning!!!
    Check your emails!

4. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hopefully I did respond to you, I got a lot of email and tried to help everyone but sometimes things fall through the cracks...

If you still need help I'm available on Twitter @BaconNeckGames, on the contact form on our website at http://www.baconneckgames.com/contact-us or you can email dev at bacon neck games [dot] com.

Thanks to everyone who purchased and has helped support us! The asset is doing great and some big updates are planned for this summer :)

5. seansteezy

seansteezy

IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

If you have recently purchased No Touch GUI for VR and are using the Durovis Dive sdk, download and use v2.0r499 and NOT v2.0r500!!! They changed a lot of stuff and the newer version no longer works (nor will it let you test in the editor which I find strange). I will make an update as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

6. jacknorrisuk

jacknorrisuk

Hey there, do you know if this works with the Google Cardboard plugin? (I assume it does...)
    Is it easy to change the look/size of the loading bars?

seansteezy likes this.
  7. seansteezy

seansteezy

Yes and yes :)

There is a player prefab for google cardboard that works out of the box (but there are instructions for some stuff you have to do before you get started so the prefabs work - like import the Cardboard SDK). There is a detailed PDF with instructions included.

Then, the horizontal and vertical bars can all be customized, you can easily change the color of the sprite in the inspector, change their scale or whatever you need, it just has to maintain the name, inside the prefab (again I explain why in the instructions) but as long as you keep the names you can change scale and color of the fill and background. The radial timer is different b/c it requires a shader and a material, but I can send the PSD files or send new images for the radial timer material so you can create different colors. It's kinda a pain but I have no problem sending them to you. I have to learn how to tint a shader before the radial timer can be customized like the others.

Hope that helps, enjoy and good luck on your VR projects!

-ss

8. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hello and thanks for creating this asset. I purchased it today to avoid dealing with headaches scripting related... I followed your first steps to set up the asset. Though the missing script from the prefab wasn't missing at all...
    I dragged and dropped the VR Durovis Dive prefab in my scene and hit play, I was just able to move around. seems like it was impossible for me to look around. I only have the dive version 2-0-r502. Not sure if it's because of this...
    If it's possible for you to send me a link to download the V2.0r499 maybe that would help me out.

9. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

looks like I managed to get the camera look around by drag and dropping onto the Dive_Camera the mouse look script from the Dive Unity Demo / Script folder. Not sure if it's the right way to do that. I also had to set the min Y / max Y to 90 and-90 so it can see the autowalk button on the floor. works great now. Maybe you should edit your .pdf. Or maybe i missed something...
    Anyways. Great work! and thanks a lot! :)

10. deadstarsdrummers

deadstarsdrummers

Hi,

I purchased No Touch Gui the other day and I am using Unity 5 and the Durovis Dive SDK. I was wondering if there would be any updates soon? I am able to run the Demo on my iphone but I can't get my character to walk. I can look at the Information Screen and the yellow icon activates when I look at it, but nothing happens after that. I'm getting a lot of errors in Unity for .Move, so I'm sure its related to that. I tried to follow the advice in the Manual but I'm a bit of a C# noob. Can you point me in the right direction? I know there is something about changing the autowalk function in the Dive FPS Script
    Thanks!

11. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hey there, email me at dev@baconneckgames.com and I can send you the version of Dive that I developed with, I used Dive v2.0r499 and any version after that, it breaks. It should get you going at least. The other problem is that the Unity 5 character controller is based on applying forces to a rigidbody player, wheras the Unity 4 version was based on the character controller scripts.

Here is something I wrote on our website: Whatever scripts you use to drive the character, you kinda just toggle a function that will either a) tell the character controller that the forward button is being pressed (by saying something like vertical input = 1), or b) by adding a forward force to the player using physics and rigidbody’s. Of course that all depends on how the player is setup, like Unity 4 standard character controller uses the input method and Unity 5 sample FPS player uses rigidbody and force.

Basically what is happening with that FPScontrollerScriptForDive or whatever is that I simply created an integer variable called autowalk and a function called autowalkToggle that changes that integer to a 0 or 1 depending on what it is currently set to. So if autowalk is off, it is at 0, and if you activate the button for autowalking at your feet, it has the BNG_ZapperAction script attached to it, which will ‘callFunctionOnActivate’ with the string “autowalkToggle”, to the FPScontroller script and just tells it to toggle the autowalk from 0 to 1, and if it’s at 1 it turns it to 0. THEN, the important part is that somewhere in the FPScontroller script, where the forces and input actually move the player (in Unity 5 it’s forces on the rigidbody so you can find and fix), we just say only add the force if autowalk is 1, so when you toggle it, it acts like it is receiving input (like a positive “1” for vertical input, as if the ‘w’ key is being pressed – not related to the integer). You can look any script in the External scripts folder I customized, and see where this line is and just duplicate something like that for Unity5’s FPS character controller.

Hope that helps! I am working on lots of major updates and it will be awesome, but another month or so away.

Thanks!

-ss

12. frank45

frank45

Hi , i bought his today .. and getting this error while importing this in the latest version
    Please help.

Assets/NoTouchGUI Assets/Scripts/demo scripts/BNG_NonVRWalk.cs(7,20): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `FPSInputControllerForNoTouchGUI' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

13. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hey @frank45! This can be fixed by dragging the BNG_NonVRWalk.cs from the No Touch GUI Assets/Scripts/External folder into the Standard Assets folder. In the support doc there is some stuff you have to do in the "Before You Start" section, this is I think step 6. Also, if you are using Dive let me know and I can send you the version of Dive I used to create this demo so that it won't break. Hope that helps, let me know if you run into any other issues!

-ss

14. reddo

reddo

Hi,

Thanks for the great Assets. Have just started with Unity and the No Touch GUI for VR and I'm trying to work out how to load another scene from an object/button. Am using Google Cardboard.
    I've added the BNG_Zapper Action script to the object, tagged it with NoTouchButton and also added this script to load the next scene.

#pragma strict

function LoadLevel () {
    Application.LoadLevel("videoscene");
    }

But it doesn't do anything with the crosshairs over it. However it does rotate the object with camera so it's detecting something. I also tried adding the above script to the VR Player for Google Cardboard but still no joy.

I understand it's probably just a script issue and am new to js etc. but any quick tip would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

15. reddo

reddo

It seems the script is ok as another scene loaded fine when using your demo button prefab. So it seems to be related to the object. It's a sphere model created in Blender that was imported. I created a prefab and dragged the object in. But it still can't be detected with the crosshairs. However, as previously mentioned the object will rotate with the camera if checked in the BNG Zapper Action settings
    Any ideas why the sphere can't be detected? Or can only sprites be detected?
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  16. demonbit

demonbit

Hi,
    For Unity 5, I'm confused about the step 6 and step 9.

Step 6: There is no "Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts path in Unity 5, instead it is "Standard Assets/Characters/" path. So where should I put the FPSInputControllerForNoTouchGUI.js file?

Step 9: "Activate either the “Player for VR”, “VR Player for Durovis Dive”, “VR Player for Google Cardboard” or the “NON VR PLAYER” game objects". How to active one of these object? I don't see an active option when i right-click them.

Thanks!

17. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hey @demonbit, for step 6, you will need to download the standard character controller from the old Unity 4 assets, or there should be a folder for standard assets, anywhere in the standard assets folder will be fine.

For #9, sorry for the confusing language, by "activate" I meant to enable one of the gameobjects in the hierarchy that is a VR Player Prefab. So I think it's set to Google Cardboard by you can turn that off and enable, or turn on, a different player prefab in the hierarchy, to start moving around the scene.

Hope that helps, and thanks for purchasing!

-ss

18. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hey Redoo, sorry, I just realized that I don't receive notifications when someone posts on here, luckily, you emailed me and I responded and we figured it out. It turns out for anyone here looking for answers, that the "Ray Length" on the BNG_Zapper script was set too small, so making that number bigger helped him activate the photo sphere.

And a note for anyone else, this is probably the last place I check for stuff, but I will setup notifications so I know when someone posts here. Other than that, you'll probably get a faster response through our website or by emailing me directly at dev@baconneckgames.com.

Thanks!

-ss

19. fathahnoor

fathahnoor

Hi,

Does anybody has tried it to be used with Oculus?
    Which gameobject should I use? Is it “Player for VR”?

20. iMachine

iMachine

Hello ! It works with Google SDK Cardboard ? How I can pay for this? Greetings and thanks !

21. fathahnoor

fathahnoor

Hi iMachine,

I can confirm that it works great with Google Cardboard :)
    And you can buy it on the asset store (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/26494)

seansteezy and iMachine like this.
  22. iMachine

iMachine

23. seansteezy

seansteezy

24. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hey Fat'hah and for those on Oculus and GearVR:

You can use the standard OVRPlayerController and just copy the Crosshair gameobject from any NoTouchGUI player prefab and place it inside the CenterEyeAnchor of the OVRCameraRig on the OVRPlayerController. It works in the editor but I didn't test on the hardware. You may have to nest it more. Also, you will want to adjust the crosshairs so they are as close to the camera as possible so it doesn't clip (and set camera min clipping to .01)

25. fathahnoor

fathahnoor

I haven't try it in Unity 5, currently I'm using Unity 4.6.4

26. reddo

reddo

Plugin is working great on Cardboard in Unity 5. Now attempting to get it to work on Gear VR. Using Unity 5.1.1p3 which now has native support for Oculus VR and only requires use of Unity camera not OVRCameraRig.
    Managed to get the the zapper working on objects but can't get the crosshair to show.
    I've placed the Crosshair under the Camera but no joy. Tried the prefab crosshair and one copied from one of the NoTouchGUI players but to no avail. Any ideas how it's possible to get it to show? Cheers

Edit: crosshair now showing - had wrong positioning. Now just a matter of tweaking as it's in double vision!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    seansteezy likes this.
  27. fathahnoor

fathahnoor

Hi Sean,

Will you please share the scene? So I can try it in my Oculus Rift DK2. Thanks! :)

28. seansteezy

seansteezy

Yeah will do Fat'hah, sorry I just saw your message! I'll post a demo later tonight!

-ss

fathahnoor likes this.
  29. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hey sorry, just saw this, glad you got everything working, you can also try to adjust your camera's near clipping plane too, so it's like .01 and you can move the crosshairs even closer to the camera. (if you didn't already try that) Good luck!

30. KC1302

KC1302

Assets/NoTouchGUI Assets/Scripts/demo scripts/BNG_NonVRWalk.cs(7,20): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `FPSInputControllerForNoTouchGUI' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

How do I fix this error?

31. KC1302

KC1302

How do I fix this?
    Do I really need the dive + google cardboard sdk if I am gonna use it for samsung gear vr?

Attached Files:

• 223..PNG
      223..PNG
      File size:
      201.1 KB
      Views:
  32. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hey @KC1302

For the first question, you can read the support doc, somewhere in there is a page that says "Before You Start", I think step 6, take the file it's missing from the NoTouchGUI/Scripts/External folder and put it in the Standard Assets folder anywhere. When I update the package, I will separate everything so it's easier to setup what you need without having to do all that setup crap unless you're actually using that SDK.

And that brings me to question #2, for the second part, nope, you don't need that stuff if you're not gonna use it, but the demo will probably come back with a ton of errors, still a lot of good examples and scripts in that demo tho. But yeah, I recommend just using the VR SDK that you want and don't import anything else b/c it gets weird when you go to publish w/ multi VR sdks.

Also in the support doc are some tips and best practices for setting up your own VR player prefab, which is what you'll want to do to the Gear or OVR Player Prefab, it's really easy to setup if you read the tips. If you have any other questions, let me know!

Thanks,

-ss

KC1302 likes this.
  33. seansteezy

seansteezy

Haven't forget, will get a quick demo sometime soon, I say tonight but we'll see how sleepy I get... I haven't forgot tho.

fathahnoor likes this.
  34. reddo

reddo

Hi all,
    This may be rudimentary for some but still trying to find a way to hide a button once it's activated a function.
    I've called a function with a script to hide the button on deactivate but doesn't seem to do anything and the button still shows.

Here's the script I've attached to the button object. I then call the function in the Call Function on Deactivate field and assign the button to deactivate

function Update () {

}

function inactive () {

gameObject.SetActive (false);
    }

Any ideas appreciated!

Edit: Just added the below code to call it with my on activate function instead.
    GameObject.Find("walkbutton").transform.gameObject.SetActive(false);

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  35. fathahnoor

fathahnoor

Hi Sean,
    I've implement your tips and successfully running in Oculus DK2 :)

seansteezy likes this.
  36. CYBERDAD

CYBERDAD

Hi,

just purchased your product, am using unity 5. However I am encountering several errors: Is it compatibility issue with Unity 5 ?

Assets/Standard Assets/Characters/FirstPersonCharacter/Scripts/FPSInputControllerForNoTouchGUI.js(2,21): BCE0018: The name 'CharacterMotor' does not denote a valid type ('not found'). Did you mean 'UnityEngine.CharacterJoint'?

37. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hey CYBERDAD!

It is compatible with Unity5, but it looks like you're using the new Unity5 rigidbody based FPS controller instead of the Unity4 version, the newer player doesn't have a character controller but is just a rigidbody being pushed around. You can import the standard assets for Unity4 still, so I suggest trying that first. I will rewrite the asset for total Unity5 compatibility but in the meantime, the Unity4 FPS player should work.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other issues/questions!

Thanks,

-ss

38. seansteezy

seansteezy

That's awesome Fat'hah, congrats! Good luck on your project, let me know if you need anything!

-ss

39. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hey there Reddo, I know you figured it out and I am late in responding, but it looks like what you had before should have worked as well! The thing I like to do is make the reference to the button as a public variable and that way after you disable it (SetActive(false)) you still have a reference to enable it also. Once something is turned off, you can't access it unless you do something like that. Anyway, good luck on your project, let me know if you need anything else!

-ss

40. CYBERDAD

CYBERDAD

Hi Sean,
    How do I install Unity4 FPS controller in Unity5 ? Won't it generate a lot's of errors when compiling ? If it's not an issue from where/how can I import a separate Unity4 FPS controller ? Do you have an idea how ?
    Thanks again for your support.

41. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hey there CYBERDAD!

It should already be included in a folder called Standard Assets, and setup under the prefabs for the player (Cardboard and the NON VR player use the basic, Dive uses a dofferent movement script).

To download the older standard assets, from Unity you can go to Window --> Asset Store and then search for Standard Assets for Unity 4.6. You can use that character controller, and I believe it should work. Otherwise, let me know if you're having issues and I'll send it in a custom package for you.

Thanks and sorry it's such a pain in the ass to setup.

-ss

42. PhosphorUnity

PhosphorUnity

Would it be possible to add node movement to it?

Like you see the icon, you look at it until the time goes down, then you just translate (tunable speeds, etc) to the node? It seems like the cleanest way to move w/o buttons

43. mad-engineers

mad-engineers

I do not know how it happened but I see the two side by side Crosshairs... What can I do to keep one?

44. seansteezy

seansteezy

Hey there, um, so what is going on, what VR setup are you using? Send a screenshot and I'll see what I can do to help! Either it's doing it's thing in VR and just looks weird since they may be too far away from camera, or you might have accidentally duplicated the crosshairs or something.

Thanks,

-ss

45. seansteezy

seansteezy

So we're currently updating No Touch GUI for VR, I apologize for the delay but I am officially allowed to disclose the reason why!

A company called ProDigital VR bought No Touch GUI for VR from me on the condition that I am a part of the product development team and we have some exciting plans for the new updated package(s). This current package will be updated for Unity 4/5 and after that it will be discontinued in place of a whole new product line. We will create a tiered product, with a free/simple/pro version of No Touch GUI for VR so that you can get the solution for whatever your price and coding skill level. Additional assets and demos will be created as expansion packs that you can pick and choose from. The new price will range from free to around $50 for the pro version, and the expansion packs will cost anywhere from $5 to $20.

There will be massive improvements on modularity, setup and use for the ZapperAction script, and we're dropping Dive support in favor of Google Cardboard, including Oculus/GearVR in it's place, and expanding on a lot of demo concepts and ways of doing things. Instead of one massive demo scene, there will be several smaller use cases for specific tasks that will demonstrate best practices for VR programming.

Just thought you'd like to know what to expect from us here at No Touch GUI. I'm working my ass off over here maintaining a full time job and starting several other projects, while raising 2 kids and keeping my wife happy. So hopefully in the future, ProDigital VR and I will release some amazing assets for all you VR/Unity junkies out there!

Thank you to every single one of our customers for your support this year, it has been an amazing journey and a great learning experience. I hope to continue to bring you high quality polished assets at great prices to proliferate VR technology and bring it into the mainstream.

Thanks,

-ss

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  46. mad-engineers

mad-engineers

two settings that do not work

Attached Files:

47. seansteezy

seansteezy

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong there, send me a screenshot of the two crosshairs you are seeing and also check the console for errors and let me know what it says there. If you hit play, it will emulate VR, so you will see stereoscopic rendering with two windows, each with a crosshair graphic in it. If they are too far apart like when it is on your face, you have two options, the first thing is to move it closer to the camera and scale it accordingly, or you can create a new UI canvas and ui element for the crosshair, as a raw image texture, update the Zapper script accordingly (replace SpriteRenderer with UnityEngine.UI.RawImage) and place that in World Space up close to the camera as well. It may render better but it's the same thing basically.

Good luck!

-ss

48. mad-engineers

mad-engineers

First things from the console

Attached Files:

49. seansteezy

seansteezy

Ah, you might be using a newer version of cardboard and Unity 4? It seems it's trying to use render textures, which isn't available in Unity 4.x unless you have pro. In any case, you can email me at dev @ prodigitalvr dot com and I will send you the version of cardboard that I used to develop the demo. It seems like something went amiss, although I don't get those errors when I import into Unity 5 with the latest cardboard.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  50. mad-engineers

mad-engineers

yes, I'm working on the latest cardboard version
    I am working on the pro ... :)
    but maybe I wait to see the update to version Unity 5 :)